Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I adore the Dolphin and it is always our first resort of choice. But, why keep increasing the resort fee? Wifi is free in most hotels today. Most if not all people have cell phones, so don't need local or long distance. Gym? Not so much use on vacation. What else is the resort fee giving the guest?
Water

It's frustrating to me. They do not waive the fee if you don't use the services, so just include it in the room price. I would hope thy would honor the price at time of booking.

I adore the Dolphin and it is always our first resort of choice. But, why keep increasing the resort fee? Wifi is free in most hotels today. Most if not all people have cell phones, so don't need local or long distance. Gym? Not so much use on vacation. What else is the resort fee giving the guest?

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It better start coming from Lourdes and performing miracles. ;)

It better start coming from Lourdes and performing miracles. ;)

LOLOLOL. Good one, Patty!

I forgot about the water. But gee, you can get a case for cheaper than that! Lol

We are staying at the dolphin in 9 days. I called and asked about the resort fee and was told this: Free unlimited Wifi for up to 10 devices, free local and long distance calling to anywhere in the USA, free access to all the tennis courts, gym, and pools, 2 bottles of water each day,and, 3-4 packages of Starbucks coffee each day.

We are staying at the dolphin in 9 days. I called and asked about the resort fee and was told this: Free unlimited Wifi for up to 10 devices, free local and long distance calling to anywhere in the USA, free access to all the tennis courts, gym, and pools, 2 bottles of water each day,and, 3-4 packages of Starbucks coffee each day.

Yeah, except it isn't free. It's $23 a day.

patty: don't forget "plus tax". :( At $20 per day in April, my cost was $22.50.

12.5% tax makes the $23 resort fee $25.87/day. Geez, that's starting to add up! :headache:

Laura,
I did forget the tax. So it's $25.87 for all that "free" stuff. :goodvibes

jcjmommy, please don't think my snark is directed at you. I know you were quoting what the Swan/Dolphin said to you. I really do love the resorts, but the a-little-too-frequent resort fee increases are starting to annoy me.

jcjmommy, please don't think my snark is directed at you. I know you were quoting what the Swan/Dolphin said to you. I really do love the resorts, but the a-little-too-frequent resort fee increases are starting to annoy me.

Didn't think that at all. No worries. ;)

I wonder why the frequent increases in Resort Fee. :confused:

:upsidedow

I'm wondering the same thing. This is at least the second one in the past calendar year. I'm trying to remember if it might be the third?

... But, why keep increasing the resort fee? Wifi is free in most hotels today. Most if not all people have cell phones, so don't need local or long distance. Gym? Not so much use on vacation. What else is the resort fee giving the guest?

The reason for the resort fee increase is that it is one of only two fees they can increase without increasing the room rate. (The other fee is the parking fee, which only applies to guests with a car.) This increases their bottom line revenue, without appearing to increase the room rate. It also helps pay for amenities that are attractive to most resort guests. (Starwood conducted a survey a number of years ago to determine what amenities were important to guests and what they would be willing to pay extra for...)

Most people who are searching for a room compare nightly rates between hotels... not everyone thinks to add in the parking fee and the resort fee to get the "real" rate! :rolleyes: Keeping the nightly room rates as low as possible makes them competitive with the Disney moderate resorts, while giving the guest a deluxe resort experience.

Does anyone know if you can book the BOG fast pass when staying at the Swan or Dolphin?

I recall reading somewhere that SPG members now have to pay the resort fee. Is that correct? Are there any levels were that fee is waived?

I recall reading somewhere that SPG members now have to pay the resort fee. Is that correct? Are there any levels were that fee is waived?

The fee is not waived for any level that I am aware of....

I had fee waived as gold level last year, April, 2013. This year, April, 2014, I was told they eliminated that in August, 2014. It was reported here some posts back that platinum can still get fee waived.

I just called to verify, waived for platinum only.

Does anyone know if you can book the BOG fast pass when staying at the Swan or Dolphin?

Not yet.... BOG needs a Disney Reservation number. But once it goes live, the S/D guests will probably have the same opportunity to book.

I had fee waived as gold level last year, April, 2013. This year, April, 2014, I was told they eliminated that in August, 2014. It was reported here some posts back that platinum can still get fee waived.

I just called to verify, waived for platinum only.

LOL! I think the S/D owes me quite a few dollars for non-waived resort fees... (I am Gold, also...) Resort fees were never waived for our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter