Walgreens testing for Hawaii travel

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
We're looking to use Walgreens to do the COVID testing for our upcoming end of May trip to Oahu. I see that they have ID NOW (result in 24 hours) and PCR (which can take a few days). I'm concerned that the PCR results won't be back in time. Does the ID NOW qualify for traveling to Hawaii? Based on its description... I think it does but I've read conflicting information online. I also called a couple local Walgreens but they appear not to be clear about this either. Has anyone used the ID NOW test result recently to travel to Hawaii? Any issues? Thank you in advance!!

We did and had results within an hour. The most stressful part was trying to book the appointment for it as the Seattle area has just 2 locations with only 50 spots per day. Each person had to have their own email account including the kids. Best of luck, the online booking opened up for us at 5pm PST on the 4th day prior to appointment day. (So for us Weds 5 pm wanting a Sunday slot)

We just did the ID now yesterday at Walgreens. As aulanidreamer was saying it was stressful waiting to get an appt. But they do come out around 8 EST 4 days before so don't wait until 3 days like some have said.

We had to drive an hour to VA because they didn't have any locations available in MD. Luckily, we were all negative! We got them back in less than hour. So we're all good to go now!

It was really easy yesterday. But that was a stressful 45 minutes!!

Good luck!

We did and had results within an hour. The most stressful part was trying to book the appointment for it as the Seattle area has just 2 locations with only 50 spots per day. Each person had to have their own email account including the kids. Best of luck, the online booking opened up for us at 5pm PST on the 4th day prior to appointment day. (So for us Weds 5 pm wanting a Sunday slot)
Is there a requirement by Walgreens for each one to have a separate email for registering for the test or you thought it was advisable to get the slots?

I think you had to, but at least in our case all the spots are gone in less than an hour and each time you have to answer several questions so it takes a few minutes to get to the book appointment page. We used two laptops and two browsers on each, then had all the questions answered about 10 min before the booking window opened. We needed 5 out of the 50 appointments for Sunday and that was the most stressful part of the trip for me since most of the free Covid test places in Seattle are closed on Sundays. It was an hour from our house so we wanted the appointments to be close. They book 2 appointments per 15 min slot. Surprisingly they did 2 of our test made us drive around and come back 10 min later for the other three. She made it sound like they are only allowed so many in the labroom at a time. That part was easy and they were very friendly and efficient.

We are not going until September so things might change by then, but trying to understand the policies that exist now. It seems like the ID now at Walgreens is the way to go. I would have to travel to a neighboring state. Also a little confused about what time to get it. We have a flight that connects in Dallas at 11:00 am on a Sunday coming from New York. When should I make our appointments for tests if the rules stayed the same?

My wife and I just did all the testing and fly out tomorrow. We went with the ID NOW tests and both got our results back within 30 minutes of doing the test and auto accepted on the Safe Travels site. The process does seem to be getting smoother. They do require you to get time slots for each person getting tested. Not sure about the email being used though.

My wife and I just did all the testing and fly out tomorrow. We went with the ID NOW tests and both got our results back within 30 minutes of doing the test and auto accepted on the Safe Travels site. The process does seem to be getting smoother. They do require you to get time slots for each person getting tested. Not sure about the email being used though.
That's great! Have a safe flight tomorrow and have a fabulous trip!

You mentioned that the results were "auto accepted", I'm assuming you have to create an account with Safe Travel first and then somehow that's linked to your Walgreens appointment?

You create an account with Safe Travel and then upload a copy of the lab test results that are sent to you by email from Walgreens. When you upload the results the program recognizes most "trusted partner" documents and will automatically accept them if it does and the results are negative. Just takes away some of the stress of waiting for another thing in this whole process.

You create an account with Safe Travel and then upload a copy of the lab test results that are sent to you by email from Walgreens. When you upload the results the program recognizes most "trusted partner" documents and will automatically accept them if it does and the results are negative. Just takes away some of the stress of waiting for another thing in this whole process.
Thank you!!

For those of you who did the testing for Walgreens, did you have to administer the test yourself? I'm worried that I won't do it properly, lol. I've never had the nasal swab.

For those of you who did the testing for Walgreens, did you have to administer the test yourself? I'm worried that I won't do it properly, lol. I've never had the nasal swab.

It is super easy and yes self administered. I've been doing it twice a week for work and it takes seconds to complete. Half a q-tip and swirl around in each nostril less than an inch in nostril. A couple of things to remember it to blow your nose before test, don't touch swab to anything else, put cap back on tight. I'm sure there is a youtube video out there of someone taking test.

It is super easy and yes self administered. I've been doing it twice a week for work and it takes seconds to complete. Half a q-tip and swirl around in each nostril less than an inch in nostril. A couple of things to remember it to blow your nose before test, don't touch swab to anything else, put cap back on tight. I'm sure there is a youtube video out there of someone taking test.

Thank you!

I'm from California, so there's no Walgreens ID Now here. I did the regular PCR test a few weeks ago though, and I got results within 24 hours. I'm testing through Hawaiian Airlines, but I might set up a Walgreens appointment as a backup

Seattle area has the UW testing sites which are partners. Results back within 24 hours and it autogenerates the the form too. Went 4/4 and it was pretty easy.

I'm curious if you have to pay for the testing. We are going in August and some of our family will be testing at a facility (hopefully Walgreens) a few hours from us. The website for their Walgreens says the tests are free if they meet the CDC criteria. I'm assuming that means you think perhaps you've been exposed or have symptoms. If you are testing for travel, is there a fee?

I'm curious if you have to pay for the testing. We are going in August and some of our family will be testing at a facility (hopefully Walgreens) a few hours from us. The website for their Walgreens says the tests are free if they meet the CDC criteria. I'm assuming that means you think perhaps you've been exposed or have symptoms. If you are testing for travel, is there a fee?
It didn't give me the option to click a box for "travel."

I did click the box for "community spread" as that was true as well as being around people who are sick (unsure, as this is allergy season here and literally everyone here has allergies and some allergy symptoms are the same as Covid). We haven't been charged yet.

My son, 23, and his friends are going mid May. They have a friend who lives on Kauai. They plan on going to a nearby Walgreens, but it doesn't offer the ID now.

He can drive an hour to an ID Now site, but he and his friends don't think it's necessary.

But.........If the test results can take up to 72 hours to come back, a possibility, and it comes back at 72 hours, and it has to be within 72 hours of the final leg, and it is a 10 hour flight to that last leg, wouldn't that test be too old?

The 72 hours is from final leg. If I were them I'd be driving an hour for ID Now test which is what we are doing since it isn't offered in MA but is in CT. FYI there is a lot of talk and useful info about testing on Hawaii TripAdvisor forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter