• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

This is sad but 5 minutes is only to the front of the resort, correct? If planning to head back to the stables or food, that’s a journey, one I much prefer to be by boat ☹️.
The WL to FW bus drops off at the Settlement, where the stables and food are. If you want the stables where the trail ride horses are, you can take an internal bus to the Outpost, the front of the resort.

Hello everyone, my wife and I are considering adding on CCV to our DVC portfolio. I was hoping you all could give us honest feedback about the pros and cons of this resort. We have a reservation at whisper canyon during our trip in June to check out the property as well. Is there anything we should while we are at the restaurant/ resort?

I appreciate any insight you all have!
Welcome, Hubalorian! As Granny says above, the entire WL resort is marvelous, a second "home" to many. Most of us on this thread own at VWL (Disney insists on calling it BRV) and tout its quiet appeal, the serenity, and the beauty of the architecture and landscaping. And there is a sister thread dedicated just to CCV (which you may have already visited) if you have more questions. But, in short, CCV is a lovely addition to the WL family, only as mentioned, they're tucked entirely into one side of the main lodge building, as well as those gorgeous cabins. Anyway, you asked for pros and cons, specifically relating to CCV, so here is my short list.
PROS
- It's the Lodge: perhaps the most stunning architecture of any Disney resort. And the holidays? Best. Decorations. Hands. Down.
- Geyser Point: a fine restaurant that doesn't quite have enough good seating, but the food is solid to good, as are the drinks
- Serenity: though much of the wilderness is now gone from the Wilderness Lodge, it's still a very peaceful resort that sits on the water. It's one of the best, most enjoyable resorts from a walking point of view, though the resort isn't huge and sprawling.
- Flickering lanterns and majestic music: they transport you
- Transportation: it used to be even better when boats ran over to FW and CR. Now, it's just boats to MK, though that's still a great perk. And buses generally run well from there, too.
CONS
- The rooms aren't as thematic as I'd like them to be, sort of a nouveau west theme. Not a huge fan of that nor the shotgun kitchens in the 1/2 BRs. But, that's a preference thing.
- Restaurants: while I like Geyser Point, Whispering Canyon is just okay. Roaring Fork is decent, but a shell of its former self before the renovation a few years back. And the resort used to have one of the top signature restaurants on property--Artist's Point. Now, it's a storybook character meal. So, for a supposed luxury resort, it has no really nice place to eat. Territory Lounge is a good bar; however, once the storybook restaurant opened, it became the prime spot for families to wait to get seated--not sure if that's still true.
- As much beauty as there is around the resort, I miss the walkway and nature path (two separate things) that have been permanently closed. You used to could walk just under a mile and be at FW.

There is a uniqueness to the Lodge that's hard to find in the current spate of Disney architecture. They committed to theming when they built it and AKL. WL is still a grand dame of resorts despite losing some of her sheen. How important those things above are to you is what matters. pirate:

Welcome, Hubalorian! As Granny says above, the entire WL resort is marvelous, a second "home" to many. Most of us on this thread own at VWL (Disney insists on calling it BRV) and tout its quiet appeal, the serenity, and the beauty of the architecture and landscaping. And there is a sister thread dedicated just to CCV (which you may have already visited) if you have more questions. But, in short, CCV is a lovely addition to the WL family, only as mentioned, they're tucked entirely into one side of the main lodge building, as well as those gorgeous cabins. Anyway, you asked for pros and cons, specifically relating to CCV, so here is my short list.
PROS
- It's the Lodge: perhaps the most stunning architecture of any Disney resort. And the holidays? Best. Decorations. Hands. Down.
- Geyser Point: a fine restaurant that doesn't quite have enough good seating, but the food is solid to good, as are the drinks
- Serenity: though much of the wilderness is now gone from the Wilderness Lodge, it's still a very peaceful resort that sits on the water. It's one of the best, most enjoyable resorts from a walking point of view, though the resort isn't huge and sprawling.
- Flickering lanterns and majestic music: they transport you
- Transportation: it used to be even better when boats ran over to FW and CR. Now, it's just boats to MK, though that's still a great perk. And buses generally run well from there, too.
CONS
- The rooms aren't as thematic as I'd like them to be, sort of a nouveau west theme. Not a huge fan of that nor the shotgun kitchens in the 1/2 BRs. But, that's a preference thing.
- Restaurants: while I like Geyser Point, Whispering Canyon is just okay. Roaring Fork is decent, but a shell of its former self before the renovation a few years back. And the resort used to have one of the top signature restaurants on property--Artist's Point. Now, it's a storybook character meal. So, for a supposed luxury resort, it has no really nice place to eat. Territory Lounge is a good bar; however, once the storybook restaurant opened, it became the prime spot for families to wait to get seated--not sure if that's still true.
- As much beauty as there is around the resort, I miss the walkway and nature path (two separate things) that have been permanently closed. You used to could walk just under a mile and be at FW.

There is a uniqueness to the Lodge that's hard to find in the current spate of Disney architecture. They committed to theming when they built it and AKL. WL is still a grand dame of resorts despite losing some of her sheen. How important those things above are to you is what matters. pirate:
Thank you! I really appreciate that insight. We’re staying at AKL in June and one of the draws to AKL was the theming, the grandness of the lobby and the overall vibe. From what we’ve seen on the lodge it made us feel that type of grandness as well

Thank you! I really appreciate that insight. We’re staying at AKL in June and one of the draws to AKL was the theming, the grandness of the lobby and the overall vibe. From what we’ve seen on the lodge it made us feel that type of grandness as well
The same architect designed Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) so they do tend to impart a similar feeling of majesty and grandeur. I think you will like Wilderness Lodge if you like the transportative experience of wonderful detailed theming.

Hello everyone, my wife and I are considering adding on CCV to our DVC portfolio. I was hoping you all could give us honest feedback about the pros and cons of this resort. We have a reservation at whisper canyon during our trip in June to check out the property as well. Is there anything we should while we are at the restaurant/ resort?

Hey and Welcome to the Groupies!!

Granny and Sleepy have both given you some great info, so please forgive me if I re-hash things they may have said. We are a passionate bunch when it comes to the Lodge:goodvibes

As mentioned things that stand out for me are the faint western themed music playing quietly in the background, the lanterns flickering along the covered walkways at night, the crickets chirping. Amongst the trees you may see wildlife like deer, rabbits and an occasional armadillo. These things give that wilderness vibe.

When I first walked into the lobby, I was speechless. I just stood there in awe, tears welling up. And too this day, I still am awed by it. WL, CCV and VWL(what Disney refers too as BRV) are an escape from the theme parks. When we return from the parks, its a great place to relax. Lots of nooks and crannies to curl up with a good book, sit by the fire on a cool night, or find a good rocker to rest your feet.

We have spent a few rainy days there too, when we just didnt want to trod through the parks. And let me say, those days are among some of our most cherished memories. We relaxed, hung out, played games, visited the mercantile and arcade, took naps in the comfy rockers, etc.

It truly feels like home away from home for us

Well, Sleepy, Granny, & Jimmy really did a spectacular job of explaining our love of Wilderness Lodge!

I’ll just add a couple things. The theming of the feature pool is something easily missed. It starts IN the lobby as a spring bubbling up. Then you walk outside and follow the stream all the way down, enjoying the waterfalls as you meander along. Eventually, it becomes the feature pool. And then of course a trickle stream wanders out from it alongside the Geyser which goes off hourly. There is NO pool that I ever seen with such detailed theming.

And, the only other thing I’ll add is that I love being in the MK resort area but an overlooked strength of WL is that it is NOT monorail connected. As a result, there is less “let’s checkout this resort” traffic than those on the monorail so it’s quieter. Oh, and the distance to the bus stop from either DVC element is relatively closer than many other resorts (excluding staying at a cabin)

Good Luck!

Welcome!! You've gotten some great tips and pointers about our 'home'. I do have one thing to add....

Be sure to ask for ketchup at dinner at Whispering Canyon! 😜

Sadly the boat never came back after covid and at this point, no one seems to think it's likely. Especially with the option of an easy bus ride over to FW, it is less than a 5 minute trip.
They always had that bus before too. It does take seem that the CR is the dissenter on the boats. As a last hope I'm crossing fingers that DVC doing the cabins might bring the boats back.

They always had that bus before too. It does take seem that the CR is the dissenter on the boats. As a last hope I'm crossing fingers that DVC doing the cabins might bring the boats back.
KAT, I think its high time we start a petition, down by the boat docks, to bring back the resort hopping Steamboat Willies. Y'all have a good group there now to get the ball rolling:teeth:

Heading down memory lane...Your 1st DVC trip, where did you stay and what's a memory (or memories) you took away with you

We stayed at VWL(we bought site unseen)and I remember pulling up to the Lodge in a town car service and getting that wow factor. Then stepping inside and seeing the mass enormity of the place, looking up and just being overwhelmed with emotions that we owned a small piece of this place

Heading down memory lane...Your 1st DVC trip, where did you stay and what's a memory (or memories) you took away with you

We stayed at VWL(we bought site unseen)and I remember pulling up to the Lodge in a town car service and getting that wow factor. Then stepping inside and seeing the mass enormity of the place, looking up and just being overwhelmed with emotions that we owned a small piece of this place
We stayed at OKW - I just remember being in awe over the room and the grounds and the whole feeling of ‘Welcome Home’….growing up, I never thought I would actually ever be in the position to ‘own’ a piece of Disney! (Even though it’s only a postage stamp size) 😁

Heading down memory lane...Your 1st DVC trip, where did you stay and what's a memory (or memories) you took away with you.

We booked a weekend at Wilderness Lodge and loved it. We toured DVC which was actively selling DHHIR at the time. While we didn't buy in at that time, we always wanted to.

Fast forward nearly 20 years later - 2 kids through college - and we own at both resorts. Good things come to those who HAVE to wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter