VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy and Jimmy, thanks.
I am slowly getting back to feeling like myself. Those breathing treatments really work.
Very glad to hear that the breathing treatments are helping. I have had severe bronchitis and pneumonia before and they are a godsend. Still praying for negative test results for your kids.

Very glad to hear that the breathing treatments are helping. I have had severe bronchitis and pneumonia before and they are a godsend. Still praying for negative test results for your kids.
Thank you so much. They are both doing fair. They both have a slight cough, but seem to be dealing with it ok.
It looks like it will be Monday before they get their results.

Good Sunday morning, Groupies!

I'm sitting here in my living room, looking out at the lagoon in my back yard, sipping coffee, and decided now would be a good time for a rundown on our trip to the World. We just got back yesterday around noon, and we had a lovely time, albeit very relaxed. We've been slowly, but steadily, drifting toward less gung-ho vacations to more laid back ones, which for us means fewer rides, more time just strolling and soaking in the ambiance. We prefer this method as we approach our, ahem, 40s. :rolleyes1

Wed, 2 Dec
After arriving around 12:30, we grabbed a bite to eat at Geyser Point. It was chilly but we were under a heater which helped. Speaking of, later that day, they shut down GP and there was a sign that said, "Please join us at Territory Lounge." We assumed that meant it was too cold to keep GP going and they switched operations to TL--we never checked to verify that. After lunch, we went to MK and literally just walked around the entire park, reveling in being there on a pretty day, with smaller crowds, and nothing on the agenda.

While it looks a bit crowded in the shot below, it's just the effect of zooming in. You could actually walk up and down Main Street without bumping into anyone the entire time. The longest line? To get into Starbucks.

The tree as we were getting ready to leave, framed against the falling light

And the Castle, lit up with one of its 5 themes, just 15 minutes later542323

In between the top two shots and the bottom two, we went to Cast Connections (I mentioned that previously) and went to the nearby Trader Joe's for a few groceries to take home with us. After leaving for the night, again with no rides just some minor shopping, we headed back to our beloved Lodge and made dinner in the room.

Gorgeous as always. . .

More to come on Day 2!

Kathy praying for your whole family that you all recover quickly. I have received all 3 sets of our tests back and they were all negative... Thank God. We did the PCR and Rapid on Thursday at the convention center. Very smooth process Florida has I must say. All barcodes and all you had to do was pre register. I did this one over Maingate testing site because you stayed in your car the whole time verse having to stand outside in line with people who could not just be there for traveling reasons and might be there because they are sick. Wanted to get there a 1/2 hour before they opened but only got there 5 minutes before and there was a line. Not bad though we were in and out in an hour. It was run by the National guard it looked like, very efficient. We got our rapid results within 10 minutes. My daughters PCR test came back in about 18 hours as negative. I had moved our flights up from Saturday to Friday just because I started to worry so much about the virus cases rising. Worked out well because we went to a state run place here in Mass on the way home from the airport at 7 and they closed at 8. We got a storm here in Mass yesterday and all but 3 testing sites were closed so that would of made it very hard to get tested yesterday. We had our results yesterday afternoon about 18 hours after testing. Big relief.
I will say the Merchandise has really picked up since our September trip. Not sure if it was because I am not shopping much at all since the Pandemic or what but I found so much I wanted. I really had to hold myself back many times. Everything was just beautiful. We walked to MK buses one morning and took a bus to Riveria on a Epcot day. We had pastries and coffee at the Petite Cafe and that place is amazing!! The manager was there and very friendly told us how the bakers come in at 3:30 every morning and make them fresh. That hotel is just gorgeous! Something about actually seeing it in person. If I had some extra $$ I could definitely see the Draw to buy there.
We are trending towards more relaxed vacations as well. Especially this one, many times we looked at ride times and said nope not this time. I had no interest except for maybe 2 rides of standing in line for 50-60 minutes.
I really think a Disney must be doing better and can’t understand why they are still having lay-off discussions.
My daughter did rope drop AK out last day and said it was like they had the park to themselves. She rode so much in 2 hours.
HS is really becoming quite a park again. We did not get on MRR, as the line was 80 minutes or at times they just closed the line to people. We did do the Minnies Holiday Dine at Hollywood and Vine and it was really fun. The food was delicious and portions were huge. They did a great job of having the Characters keep coming around and they were very interactive. Sad that unless my daughter who really works at convincing me, might be the last Character Dining we do, Even with TIW it is just so much money.
I already can’t wait to go back but not till after this is over. Will write more later.

Thanks for the trip reports sleepy and lakegirl! It really helps me to feel connected to the parks and the resorts in the present, not just as a memory or something to dream about for the future.

Thur, 3 Dec
Dawned very chilly (the previous morning it was 37 @HHI and low 40s in FL), but we still managed to get to MK just about rope drop, maybe 10 minutes after. We decided to head for Haunted Mansion as that is almost entirely indoors and thought we'd get on and off before the crowds hit. Sure enough, we walked right in and straight to a doom buggy. After that, we headed over to do Big Thunder but the wait time was listed as 30 minutes already, so we chose to hit POTC instead. Though the wait was listed as 20 minutes, it was closer to 15. After that, the rides had wait times longer than we felt like standing in line for, plus we wanted to do some shopping for presents for our kids and grandkids.

We wound up finding some cool stuff, much of it board games like Disney Theme Park Monopoly, Villains Clue, and POTC Battleship. By then, it was nearing lunch, and Luv wanted to check out the gift shop at GF which you can now reach via the new walking path. Took us 17 minutes at a steady pace--it's another 6-8 from there to the Poly which is where we lunched. We were short one game that was sold out at the Emporium, but the Poly gift store had it, so the trip back with the games in hand into a steady little breeze was long-ish. Once back at the MK boat launch (there is a new loading/unloading area for Ft Wilderness and WL just to the right of the old one which is currently not being used), we headed back to our room. We hung out there, had a drink at GP, then ordered take out from the Three Bridges Grill at Coronado. And then it was time to drive 20 minutes to the Give Kids the World Village's spectacular light show. Three million of the lights were donated by Disney, so the Osborne lights live on in some fashion. I have to say that it was the highlight (pun intended) of our trip (for me).

Pretty much every day, we sat in rockers in the Villas lobby with a libation. It was such a peaceful time and let us realize that some things remain a haven in this world: the music (holiday oriented right now), the serenity, the smells (currently like a vanilla/cinnamon/evergreen candle), the rockers, the crickets. It was a place to let the stress melt away for just a few minutes. While VWL rooms are showing their age a little, the grand dame herself is still gorgeous and inviting.

Gran Destino dolled up for the holidays

The walkway

And just a few shots of the GKTW Village's light display. They're not synchronized to music, but they are spread out over acres and acres of the resort. While the Osborne Lights were amazing, they were limited to essentially one city block--these occupy a dozen blocks, just streets upon streets of lights. Most of the lights on the individual villas are sponsored by companies from Mears Transportation, to the Kennedy Space Center, to Home Depot, to Universal Studios, and many, many more. It was a grand event.

Day 3 will come later!

Pretty much every day, we sat in rockers in the Villas lobby with a libation. It was such a peaceful time and let us realize that some things remain a haven in this world: the music (holiday oriented right now), the serenity, the smells (currently like a vanilla/cinnamon/evergreen candle), the rockers, the crickets. It was a place to let the stress melt away for just a few minutes.
Sleepy, great words to sum up the serenity of the peaceful feeling that WL/VWL/CCV evokes. For those of us who know about this little spot, we are all the richer. Some great memories have been made in that lobby and around the fireplace in those comfy leather chairs.
I have had a few meets with many of our friends/family here on the groupies. We celebrated Ranger Stans retirement in our own way with he and his DW Carolyn, played checkers with the kids a many a time, enjoyed the peace around the fire with a good book, and a hot cup of cocoa or something a wee tad stronger :goodvibes One night, I had such a terrible cough I was keeping my family awake, so 2am, I took off with a book, curled up in the leather chair and read until I finally got to sleep.

Enjoyed admiring all the railroad articles and pictures of Walt and his passion for trains, including the 2 cars from his personal train in his backyard. Heck, Carolewood Pacific Room, formerly Iron Spike Room, is a bit of a museum and we are lucky to have a bit of Walt right there with us.

We are amongst a small band of folks who get it. Our love of the Lodge is a passionate feeling. Its like breaking out an old pair of shoes or jeans that just feels right. After all the changes, and we felt some discomfort in it, the feelings still remain for a lot of us.

I guess I am feeling a bit sentimental as my phone dings me photos of memories from a year ago this past week and next. Wishing I was there, but, alas, it shan't be. And I know others who love visiting this time of the year are feeling the same.:grouphug:

Sleepy, great words to sum up the serenity of the peaceful feeling that WL/VWL/CCV evokes. For those of us who know about this little spot, we are all the richer. Some great memories have been made in that lobby and around the fireplace in those comfy leather chairs.
I have had a few meets with many of our friends/family here on the groupies. We celebrated Ranger Stans retirement in our own way with he and his DW Carolyn, played checkers with the kids a many a time, enjoyed the peace around the fire with a good book, and a hot cup of cocoa or something a wee tad stronger :goodvibes One night, I had such a terrible cough I was keeping my family awake, so 2am, I took off with a book, curled up in the leather chair and read until I finally got to sleep.

Enjoyed admiring all the railroad articles and pictures of Walt and his passion for trains, including the 2 cars from his personal train in his backyard. Heck, Carolewood Pacific Room, formerly Iron Spike Room, is a bit of a museum and we are lucky to have a bit of Walt right there with us.

We are amongst a small band of folks who get it. Our love of the Lodge is a passionate feeling. Its like breaking out an old pair of shoes or jeans that just feels right. After all the changes, and we felt some discomfort in it, the feelings still remain for a lot of us.

I guess I am feeling a bit sentimental as my phone dings me photos of memories from a year ago this past week and next. Wishing I was there, but, alas, it shan't be. And I know others who love visiting this time of the year are feeling the same.:grouphug:
Everything about VWL-BR has a place in my heart, especially the old Hidden Springs pool, but I won't open that wound that's still bubbling with peroxide poured onto it.

Years back my teenage kids and I would often use my points in the summer at VWL. The three of us would stay just in a studio. Anyone with teenagers will know it can get a little cramped when having to share a small room with them for a week. I felt comfortable and safe heading down to sit in front of the fireplace even at 1am, decked out in my sweatpants and slippers while I read a book, worked to reschedule flights, or to just find a way to be alone for a few moments peace. I can't say I've found another resort with that same sense of safety, even if only imagined.

Last edited:
Twokats, You and your family are in my prayers! Hoping your recovery goes quick!
We have officially cancelled out Christmas trip. DVC was kind enough to restore 44 points to the current use year, so we transferred 210 into the RCI network. The airline gave us a full credit, but only until May to use it (that could change if the government says something apparently..). But, we expected to take a $300 penalty, so there’s something. Once the points show up in the RCI section I will update how long we have to use those. For the short term, we have March reservations that I will likely cancel and just reschedule for next Christmas. Sad as it was to do there was just too much risk. While we are all healthy, the virus is all around us, neighbors and coworkers have had it. Seemed to risky to come down with it right before departure. Add to that a mandatory 5 day quarantine upon returning before taking a test and waiting for a negative result before I could return to work was going to really make things at work problematic. Oh well, there’s always next year..,

As you all know, we love VWL, but the 1BR we're in on the bottom floor facing the main walkway the Lodge (our request was "high floor, lake view" so the KAT hex is in effect) is tired and showing much wear. Those couches that sucked when they first put them in are even worse now--lumpy, grimy, and threadbare in spots. The carpeting is run down, though clean. I like throwback, vintage rooms, but they also need to be fresh looking and inviting. Still, it's a great place to be for two more nights and days, and we're extremely fortunate to be here. More to come later!

Sorry Sleepy. We were supposed to be there but since we cancelled that left my room available for someone else - you! :rotfl2:

Friday, 4 Dec
This was our last full day, and it was an Animal Kingdom day. For clarification, while our CM tickets allow for us to visit the parks, we're under the same restrictions as anyone else in terms of only visiting one park per day; plus, those tickets are currently blacked out for DHS. So, we chose MK for two days mostly for the Castle, decorations, shopping, and overall ambiance, while then opting for AK over Epcot for the other day.

As with MK previously, we arrived at AK shortly after the park opened--maybe 8:05. We drove as we enjoy that freedom of going wherever we wish on a whim, and traffic is, of course, reduced right now. Apparently, so is law enforcement as I would be doing 50-55 and getting passed left and right by, you guessed it, FL license plates. I mean people would zoom by. But, I digress. We experienced no bag checks, btw, except at DD. Luv was only carrying a small clutch, but in the past, those would be inspected, as well. Even the metal scanner operators were having you pass right through with phones, keys, etc. Very streamlined.

Once in AK, we veered to the right while 98% of the people headed left toward the Avatar rides. We found ourselves nearly alone on our trek back to one of our top three rides anywhere--Expedition Everest. We arrived and walked right on despite the sign saying 5 minutes as a wait time. Like with all rides, they have the 6-feet demarkation stripes along the entire queue, and in places where the line doubles back and winds around, there is plexiglass between those sections--a very safe feeling I must say. Yes, we still rang a bell on the way in. . .the first time. We were literally in, on, and finished within five minutes. Since it was so easy getting on, and there were no other rides we actually felt like riding, we circled back out of the dump shop and got back in line. Again, "in line" is a misnomer as we simply walked right back on again. A friendly CM there remarked we were back and we told her we might go for a record. Now, our record for consecutive times on any ride is 5, and that was set on EE several years ago, so after the third time, we decided to see if perhaps we could break said record as the line continued to have only enough people in it to fill up the next waiting EE train.

As we finished the fourth time, there were visibly more people beginning to show. Instead of virtually no one in the lines in front or behind us, there were both, though it wasn't crowded, and we still literally would walk and not stop since the group ahead didn't have to stop. Once, on either our fourth or fifth trip, we had to stop two demarkations back from walking onto the platform as there was a larger group who had been stopped so that they could be properly split up (the cars are loaded every other row, thus only half full at best). When we came through for attempt #5, the friendly CM was being relieved, only to pop up at the unloading dock where she said "#5?! You gotta go for the record!" And, we did. The sixth was just as exhilarating as the first. As we unloaded, I turned to the CM and held up 6 fingers, and she cheered! A fun little interlude it was. This time when we exited the gift shop, the line had spilled out onto the promenade, and we said "no more." Still, we have a new record, and while that was only one ride, we did it 6 times, so we can say that we rode 8 rides total not 3, right? pirate:

After that, we hit Starbucks and got one of those giant, delicious Mickey cinnamon rolls--they just taste better there. Again, the lines inside were well-managed, so Luv secured us a table while I got our lattes and roll. We ate outside and people watched--our favorite pastime. After that, we strolled around a few minutes but decided we were officially done. We had gotten our taste of the parks, and now, we just needed to get back to Downtown Disney for one last look at a couple of items. As I said, on a whim.

We walked around DD for a time, and Luv got a purse she'd been craving. . .at a CM discount. So, that was a win-win. In fact, I bought it and it will be her main Christmas present! Win-win-win! Back to the room to relax before I headed out to Sanaa to pick up our last night's meal which we ordered to go. Just showed the order on my phone to the gate guard, passed right through, parked, hit the prepare order button, walked in, and waited until the order was ready within 15 minutes. Yes, we did the always excellent bread service and a butter chicken. And so ended our trip (other than the uneventful drive home).

I'll post pics when I get more time. I'm currently finishing my morning coffee before heading off to work at the Broad Creek area at the HHI resort this morning. Chilly 39F right now with a high of 52F. Not gonna see a lot of people in the Big Dipper pool today. In fact, unless the "feels like" temperature is 50F or above, they won't actually let people into the physical pool. You can sit in the pool area and sun bathe or eat, but no swimming until that magical number is reached. TTFN!

Personal limit on EE these days is around 4. My brain sloshes around in my skull too much and I end up dizzy. 😵 🤣
Years ago my son and a young friend he had made from Italy challenged themselves and went on about 23 times. Kids.

We'd be on our way home from our Disney trip right now if it had happened.
To the Tragical Express and to a moderately comfortable and usually cold trip home I'm happy to say "No need, I'm already here!" LOL.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been in lurker mode lately...we were supposed to be at WDW right now, enjoying the decorations and the company of our good Groupie friends. Sort of a bummer that we aren't scheduled to go back until next October at this point (yes, this is a first world issue).

Be assured that I am enjoying the posts, the trip reports and of course those photos that we all crave. I'm glad that most of us seem to be in pretty good shape healthwise, and I pray for those who are struggling with any medical issues with themselves or their family.

The trip reports are so good. Kati and I hope to be going sometime in the next year, but that remains to be seen at this time.

Update on our illness!!
The kids did test positive, but are doing well. I pray that continues since my son is the one I was so concerned about. If my husband has it you can't tell and he does not want to be tested.
It has hit me the hardest since I had such a bad sinus infection for so long. I am starting to feel better and I get to come out of my quarentine Thursday. Hopefully the rest will pass easily.
Thanks for all the pixie dust and prayers. Stay safe and well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter