VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hello, fellow lodge animals! It is I, the tardy one. It's just 5 days until our VWL vacation. We'll be there for 5 nights starting this Sunday. It's become a usual routine. We were at Kidani over Thanksgiving and it was nice. They have a Sanna To Go service which is nice. We were able to have dinner that way and eat in our room. They are very attentive to Covid procedures. Bathrooms were spotless. We stayed physically distant and wore masks. We'll also be careful next week. I definitely want that vaccine when I am able to get it. I hope you all are doing well.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, a friend, my son and I attempted what I call The Great DVC Resort Tour. We attempted to go to every DVC resort within WDW in a day without a car! We didn't succeed, but had fun in the process. The plan was to start at Disney Springs and take the boat over to OKW or Saratoga Springs, but the boats are not running at Disney Springs, so we walked back to the bus stop and took a bus to Saratoga Springs, after that, we took a bus to DHS, then the skyliner to Riviera Resort where we had lunch at Primo Piatto. I love their Spicy Italian sandwich. It is highly recommended and not hard on the wallet. After that, we hit Epcot via the Skyliner and grabbed the resort boat to Boardwalk Villas. After that, the boat to Beach Club Villas. After that, we got the bus to MK, then a bus to Wilderness Lodge. We stopped after that and went back to Disney Springs. I want to attempt this again in the future.

Hello, fellow lodge animals! It is I, the tardy one. It's just 5 days until our VWL vacation. We'll be there for 5 nights starting this Sunday. It's become a usual routine. We were at Kidani over Thanksgiving and it was nice. They have a Sanna To Go service which is nice. We were able to have dinner that way and eat in our room. They are very attentive to Covid procedures. Bathrooms were spotless. We stayed physically distant and wore masks. We'll also be careful next week. I definitely want that vaccine when I am able to get it. I hope you all are doing well.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, a friend, my son and I attempted what I call The Great DVC Resort Tour. We attempted to go to every DVC resort within WDW in a day without a car! We didn't succeed, but had fun in the process. The plan was to start at Disney Springs and take the boat over to OKW or Saratoga Springs, but the boats are not running at Disney Springs, so we walked back to the bus stop and took a bus to Saratoga Springs, after that, we took a bus to DHS, then the skyliner to Riviera Resort where we had lunch at Primo Piatto. I love their Spicy Italian sandwich. It is highly recommended and not hard on the wallet. After that, we hit Epcot via the Skyliner and grabbed the resort boat to Boardwalk Villas. After that, the boat to Beach Club Villas. After that, we got the bus to MK, then a bus to Wilderness Lodge. We stopped after that and went back to Disney Springs. I want to attempt this again in the future.
That tour sounds like so much fun!

Was supposed to be the first day of our 2020 trip today. I'm glad I rescheduled for next fall but could really use a huge dose of Disney holiday lights and music right now.
I've been watching a lot of the vlogs at the parks and it looks so pretty and it makes me miss being there this time of year. It has always been such a fun time to go. Sorry you can't be there now.

Was supposed to be the first day of our 2020 trip today. I'm glad I rescheduled for next fall but could really use a huge dose of Disney holiday lights and music right now.
That was to be our first night at HHI, tonight too, then we had planned WDW. I was hoping the Singalong on Monday night would have helped ease the pain of missing the trip, but it did not. :guilty:

At least we can help each other to cope here.

Happy note is that I booked my Sister and her “almost” family a stay at VWL for Jersey Week next year. I have to wait until January to book DH and me a stay there.

Last edited:
Hi Groupies! Nothing much to say, but wanted to check in. I am spending most of my time helping my daughter by watching my granddaughter 4 days a week. I have to admit, it does wear me out! But I love every second and am thankful that they live close by. I know how lucky I am, even if it adds risk.
I am very sad for those who have canceled or postponed trips. I have had to do that in the past and I know how it feels. The one thing I am holding on to right now is the hope that as our trips finally happen, the park experiences will become more "normal" as time goes on.
Meanwhile....
IMG_8242.JPG

Morning, Groupies! We're at the Lodge; in fact, we got in yesterday around noon, ate at Geyser Point, sat in front of the little nook fireplace in the VWL lobby, went to Cast Connection (for those who don't know, it's a reduced price merchandise shop for Disney employees), walked around Disney Springs, then finally checked into our room around 3:30. It was quite chilly, but we bundled up and headed over to MK so that we could experience the holiday lights and decorations at night.

The boat ride over was, again, chilly but invigorating. We walked around the whole park just to check out the wait times and the crowds. Neither were onerous. We walked hand-in-hand the entire time and had to dodge almost no one, not even kids, strollers, or ECVs. Not empty by any stretch of the imagination--certainly, Main Street was fairly crowded though far less than you would normally see this time of year--but very noticeable. Reminded me of what it looks like about 20 minutes after rope drop on an EMH morning. We didn't ride anything as we hadn't had dinner and didn't want to spend 30-40 minutes in any line. We did shop quite a bit, however, and there were lines for that, too. To get into the Emporium, for example, you had to line up all the way back to the trolley line circle at the beginning of Main Street. We were in the store in less than four minutes. We walked out 25 minutes later with most of our Christmas shopping done. pirate:

Back to the room after that where I heated up some homemade marinara sauce we brought with us and cooked some spaghetti. A little wine, a little cheese, and a lot of pasta made for a fitting end to the events of the day. There will be pics to follow--the internet is a bit wonky at the moment.

As you all know, we love VWL, but the 1BR we're in on the bottom floor facing the main walkway the Lodge (our request was "high floor, lake view" so the KAT hex is in effect) is tired and showing much wear. Those couches that sucked when they first put them in are even worse now--lumpy, grimy, and threadbare in spots. The carpeting is run down, though clean. I like throwback, vintage rooms, but they also need to be fresh looking and inviting. Still, it's a great place to be for two more nights and days, and we're extremely fortunate to be here. More to come later!

Been a little crazy around here. I hope all groupies had a great holiday!
I have been sick with a sinus infection for almost a month and it went to my lungs, which I guess got me very run down and in the perfect condition to test positive. Needless to say I am not very happy and very concerned for my son. I took him and Kati to be tested this afternoon. I still have smell and taste, so all I really have is a little trouble breathing, but the treatments the doctor prescribed are helping there.
Please, everyone stay safe and well.

I have been sick with a sinus infection for almost a month and it went to my lungs, which I guess got me very run down and in the perfect condition to test positive. Needless to say I am not very happy and very concerned for my son. I took him and Kati to be tested this afternoon. I still have smell and taste, so all I really have is a little trouble breathing, but the treatments the doctor prescribed are helping there.
Oh no! I hope you get better soon, and that the others are not infected.
Are you on medication??

I am so sorry!! I hope your kids are fine and that you get stronger soon. I am glad the treatments are helping. Sending healing thoughts your way and praying for you and your family.

Hope you feel better soon and I hope the kids are ok.

Feel better soon Kathy 💗 Keeping my fingers crossed for your kids.

@twokats Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you and yours!

I'll post more pictures once I can get them to migrate to my computer. Again, Disney hasn't quite solved the whole internet being wonky issue, though I will admit it's much better than it used to be. Even this morning, the main WDW channel with the cool music and today's schedules isn't coming on the TV, instead giving this message: Scrambled channel or weak signal. The internet will work great for a time, then won't load much of anything for awhile. There are worse things in life.

But, here is a lone pic from our first night's visit to MK. . .

They do something like 5 or 6 overlays that switch out every 15 minutes. We only caught this one.

Last night, we went to a charity light display in Kissimmee for the Give the Kids the World foundation. Three million of the lights used were donated by Disney from the old Osborne Dancing Lights show. What a spectacular event this was! I only have one shot to show you, and it's not totally indicative of the grandeur and spectacle. We walked around for an entire hour and could have stayed longer. As more pictures load, I'll show them. This was a fitting replacement for the Osborne Lights, and an event we may try to do every year.

Kathy
Moose Dust and prayers for you and your family's wellness

@twokats Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you and yours!

I'll post more pictures once I can get them to migrate to my computer. Again, Disney hasn't quite solved the whole internet being wonky issue, though I will admit it's much better than it used to be. Even this morning, the main WDW channel with the cool music and today's schedules isn't coming on the TV, instead giving this message: Scrambled channel or weak signal. The internet will work great for a time, then won't load much of anything for awhile. There are worse things in life.

But, here is a lone pic from our first night's visit to MK. . .
View attachment 541944

They do something like 5 or 6 overlays that switch out every 15 minutes. We only caught this one.

Last night, we went to a charity light display in Kissimmee for the Give the Kids the World foundation. Three million of the lights used were donated by Disney from the old Osborne Dancing Lights show. What a spectacular event this was! I only have one shot to show you, and it's not totally indicative of the grandeur and spectacle. We walked around for an entire hour and could have stayed longer. As more pictures load, I'll show them. This was a fitting replacement for the Osborne Lights, and an event we may try to do every year.
View attachment 541955
That's brilliant! (Literally) I would love to walk around this event at night. I'm sure it will be getting more and more crowded as we near Christmas.

There's a young gentleman I follow on youtube who did a fantastic job walking around GKTW as they were setting the place up. I was amazed at it all. This is a one time only (hopefully) event as the location is shut down to families with children who Make-A-Wish partners to send to here. Once we're all well enough past the pandemic and it is safe for the families to travel, and GKTW is able to provide a safe environment, it will be impossible to do the lights up at this scale again. See them now!

Nearly all the lights were donated to the event by Disney. Betting that they are the LED replacements Disney had bought for Osborne Lights. Universal had also sent over crates the size of box trucks with some very interesting labels :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter