VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I'm also ok with change as long as it's change I like! :laughing:

What is killing me with the Disney rooms is that they are Disney and I could imagine having so much fun designing the rooms. You can see that it was done in the past (better at times than others) but now you could compare the hotel rooms to hotel rooms at so many places. It truely is an area that they should not become "standard" IMO. And oddly they still don't when they are building the resorts. Why the refurbs are so lackluster makes no sense. As I said though, I'm going to share my input for VWL.

Regarding darkness of the rooms my input will actually be to keep that. There's light colors at so many other resorts and I actually get a nice feeling of calm and reprieve from the FL sun with darker woods and paint. IMO their making everything too much alike and it's nice to be able to walk into a room and know for certain where you are.
I remember there was a website that sold Disney resort furniture, bedding, shower curtains, and such as refurbishments took place. Not sure if it's still even around. This stuff is so generic. The only change that I have loved was the double sheeting duvets. I hated the old bedspreads that they continued to use, even after they were certainly not the industry standard. They were icky! I didn't want to touch them! So I was happy about that change. These new designs looked like they let some person who has never been to Disney design them. I just don't get it. Do they think because these resorts are deluxe that people don't want the touch of Disney in them? The value resorts, and some of the moderates still get the themed look when those are redone. Most of these designs look like Ikea showrooms in my opinion, and while I love Ikea, it is not deluxe furnishings.
I agree with the comments above, obviously. Those things have been my mantra the past couple of years. pirate: I, too, enjoy some of the new touches, such as the change in bedding and the addition of storage under beds to name a couple. For me, and certainly I'm not automatically right (nor is anyone else wrong), I enjoyed that Disney was willing to be who they were, embracing the Mouse and his friends. Now, they seem reluctant to be so overt. . .yet, that's what won me over to Disney. I can get sleek and impersonal anywhere. We recently stayed at a Country Inn & Suites in Asheville, and it had been refurbed recently to sleek and rather impersonal. It was a nice enough room, and it didn't have any small touches of Disney at all such as a cute picture or a small throw pillow. But, it cost $120. I know we are DVC, but paying the big bucks we have and for those who pay OOP to stay in "true" Disney hotels, I just believe it would be nice to continue to wholeheartedly embrace the imagination that made them a company to admire not one where so many scratch their heads and say "huh?"

Did everyone see the remodel test rooms for WL? I'm so very disappointed because I think it points the direction of things we'll see at VWL. I really have to get around to giving my input to DVC even just for my own knowledge that I did it. I'll be very disappointed if we get this as I far prefer a more traditional rustic look. You know that the railroad camps didn't look like this! Although I guess that story has been changed for VWL? I forget how we supposedly became the lodge of rocks now. :rolleyes:

FWIW I thought the existing WL rooms were spot on. I remember that they won awards for that design.

For those that haven't seen the WL pictures here's a link to the article on *****: https://*****.com/2019/07/photos-ne...urrently-testing-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

And one of the room:
https://cdn7.*****.com/wp-content/u...ewly-refurbed-rooms-july-2019_27-1200x900.jpg
Humphrey's facebook page has some info on it too.

Kathy...looks like you got censored on the web addresses. I'll take your word for it that the remodel test rooms are less than inspiring. I don't pretend to understand the rationale, though I know that many people agree with Starwind that the old decor was too dark. Personally, I liked the darker decor...somehow it made the room seem cooler to me on hot summer days.

Honestly, park admission pricing, reduction in food quality and diversity, and park overcrowding are higher on my list of concerns. But yes, I wish they had stuck to VWL's original back story and cozy feel.

Kathy...looks like you got censored on the web addresses. I'll take your word for it that the remodel test rooms are less than inspiring. I don't pretend to understand the rationale, though I know that many people agree with Starwind that the old decor was too dark. Personally, I liked the darker decor...somehow it made the room seem cooler to me on hot summer days.

Honestly, park admission pricing, reduction in food quality and diversity, and park overcrowding are higher on my list of concerns. But yes, I wish they had stuck to VWL's original back story and cozy feel.

Lets see if Disney Tourist Blog is ok.....

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/wilderness-lodge-update-new-rooms-merchandise-photos/

new-room-honeymoon-suite-wilderness-lodge-disney-world-2057.jpg

Kathy, these pics remind me of Aulani. They don't even have a themed runner at the bottom of the bed though.

I remember there was a website that sold Disney resort furniture, bedding, shower curtains, and such as refurbishments took place. Not sure if it's still even around. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm sure they are still around. A number of years ago, DiznyDi & I visited a self-storage facility in the Orlando area (sorry, can't remember name or where it was!). They had quite a few storage units combined selling old Disney CM uniforms, signs, memorabilia, and some just plain junk. There are also websites that specialize in stuff to buy. We have one of the Beavers from the old bed post tops from VWL after the refurb a number of years ago that someone had cut off and sold as a table tchotchke. We also have an SSR parking station sign (roof top model, all aluminum laser cut - really beautiful; there were replaced with painted signs that look identical). I always wanted one of the rubber backed rugs from the Wilderness Lodge; sometimes they come up on Ebay, but they go for $500+!!

Kathy...thanks for the picture and the link. I enjoyed reading the article in the link...the author is a fellow WL Groupie and his comments echo most of ours.

"Simply going off of past precedent, elements of this room style that are almost certain to be incorporated into reimagined rooms at the rest of the resort. Namely, the wood floors and more low-key headboards. These are hardly groundbreaking insights; anyone who has seen a few other new rooms around Walt Disney World would surmise the same.
Overall, I’m not a fan of this design. I can’t say I’m surprised, though. Wilderness Lodge’s rooms have a lot of texture, patterns, and rustic charm…basically three things at odds with the chic modern styles Walt Disney World has chosen for other room redesigns.
If any resort should retain its highly-themed character, it’s Wilderness Lodge. (Actually, both lodges.) I understand bland one-and-done guests wanting bland style, but those people can book at one of the other dozen-plus resorts that has been generified.
Wilderness Lodge is an ornately themed resort and anyone with any sense knows exactly what they’re getting when they book here. For Walt Disney World fans like us, that is exactly why we book here. If we wanted a vaguely woodsy Marriott, we’d book one. "
I love the term "generified". I might be slipping it into a few future comments about WDW accommodations and food options! :)

Kathy, these pics remind me of Aulani. They don't even have a themed runner at the bottom of the bed though.

It does have elements that are like Aulani! As you say though, missing the beautiful bed runner and of course the beautiful Koa wood!

I do think the beds need the runners to add that touch of design that is a bit lacking from white sheets. ;) Like others, I do not miss the bedspreads though!

I remember there was a website that sold Disney resort furniture, bedding, shower curtains, and such as refurbishments took place. Not sure if it's still even around. This stuff is so generic. The only change that I have loved was the double sheeting duvets. I hated the old bedspreads that they continued to use, even after they were certainly not the industry standard. They were icky! I didn't want to touch them! So I was happy about that change. These new designs looked like they let some person who has never been to Disney design them. I just don't get it. Do they think because these resorts are deluxe that people don't want the touch of Disney in them? The value resorts, and some of the moderates still get the themed look when those are redone. Most of these designs look like Ikea showrooms in my opinion, and while I love Ikea, it is not deluxe furnishings.

We have purchased some bedding from Ebay. This was years ago though.

Our first DVC stay was a split one between OKW and BWV. I hated OKW for a number of reasons, none of which had to do with the resort itself, it was more about the people we were placed near and those we were traveling with.

The move over to BWV was like the sunshine being revealed after a week of rain. I loved everything about that resort and room, even despite my fear of clowns, LOL. When a chance to buy one of the wall decor items from the studios was up on ebay for a reasonable price I snagged it. I have it still, love it still, but let's just say measure before bidding! It's supposed to resemble an open window, and in fact it IS the size of a window.

For the headboards it is possible they could be partially saved. In the AKL hotel renovation currently ongoing, they got rid of the fabric/curtain thing above the headboard and then took the existing fancy headboard and raised it, putting it into a new headboard that has a padded back at the guest/"sitting up" level.

Old AKL headboard (image screen capture from WDW website):

NEW renovated room headboard (screen capture from Instagram picture of new room at ):

<BTW, the Instagram page has some other good pictures of the AKL room, including some of the theming artwork used>

So I could see them doing that with the WL current headboard (screen capture from WDW website) - either keep what they have or swap out the padded area for a new padded look, but keep the top part...

SW

Thanks for the pics, Starwind! It's likely Disney will do some recycling of pieces if there's a chance it would reduce their overall costs. And I'm certain they'll keep some theming in place. However, I gotta say, for me personally, I love the old AKL rooms much better. There's color; there are nods to being where you're supposed to be (the savannah); there are pieces that evoke the spirit of Africa. For example, I compare the sconces on the wall between the old and new shots above. The old view obviously hints at torches--very thematic and appropriate. The newer sconces kinda sorta hint at a theme. But, they and the overhead light would fit in any room in any hotel anywhere. In fact, we have a hanging light over our kitchen sink that looks almost exactly like that pattern. For the record, our style is early 21st century Lowes. pirate: I do understand people like the newer, sleeker look, and certainly time marches on without Disney asking my advice. I just can't say I'm a fan. ;)

. . . . . . . . . . I did learn a new word from one of the commentators: clag. . . . . . . . . . .

Clag: to stick or adhere. As a verb, most probably from the Middle English claggen, probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish klagge, "sticky mud", Old Norse kleggi horsefly; akin to Old English clǣg clay.

I'm sure you will have students clambering for the dictionary! 📖 No, wait, they will immediately "Google it". How old fashioned of me!

For the record, our style is early 21st century Lowes. pirate: I do understand people like the newer, sleeker look, and certainly time marches on without Disney asking my advice. I just can't say I'm a fan. ;)

Since I first saw it I've said the living area rug currently at VWL came from Lowes! :laughing: They might have a super discount deal with them. ;)

That's an interesting reuse of the headboards at AKL. I did like the fabric drapings though - seemed very safari like.

That's an interesting reuse of the headboards at AKL. I did like the fabric drapings though - seemed very safari like.
DVC adds all the whimsical touches to get folk to buy in, then in upgrades they strip many of them out. VWL was lucky in that the last upgrade involved Bambi being added in way of pillows and a murphy bed. AKV has not been as lucky: I also noticed the above the bed netting was gone, didn't bother me as much as the fact that the window sheers that had been swapped out for generic ones. Missing our characters, it was one of the most subtle character placements I've seen.

DVC adds all the whimsical touches to get folk to buy in, then in upgrades they strip many of them out. VWL was lucky in that the last upgrade involved Bambi being added in way of pillows and a murphy bed. AKV has not been as lucky: I also noticed the above the bed netting was gone, didn't bother me as much as the fact that the window sheers that had been swapped out for generic ones. Missing our characters, it was one of the most subtle character placements I've seen.

I missed the mickey heads in the carpet pattern. Those sheers were beautiful and unique. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter