VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I have to admit I am a relative newbie here so I really don't feel like I have the right to an opinion as to whether it should come or go. But I do know this much, if you leave the post, people will still post wishes to the thread as it is a DISboard instinct and much quicker than to PM someone.

And once again we discuss the possibility of change; it is, indeed, the seasoning in our soup of life. But what goes around can often times come around. Letting things change can have a refreshing and energizing affect on much of what we do, never to be afraid of, yet caution should be applied. The interaction of those that participate in this thread will continue to flourish in the years to come, I have no fear of that changing.

As I reviewed the first pages of this 4 year thread, I hope that we continue to feature that great picture of Ranger Stan. Although some may not have had the pleasure of meeting Ranger Stan and experiencing his love and fascination with The Lodge, he still lives within this thread and in the hearts of many of us. For me, he was the Spirit of The Lodge and always will be.

I think this is a good decision. Lots of work, and diminishing returns. And life is all about change, though sometimes we get a little grumpy about that! :)

Rather than delete the post on Page 1, can we just leave it? After all, birthdays and anniversaries don't change (all that much :rolleyes: ) and it might be a handy reference to have in case anyone wants to PM somebody about picking up another year in age or marriage. :)

Patrick, Kathy, and Jimmy...your efforts are truly appreciated. :thanks:

It's hard to believe that this version of the thread is already more than 4 years old! I've cherished the friends I've made here and the good fortune to meet many of you in person at some point at WDW.
I think leaving it up is fine, and in fact, we talked about doing just that. We also discussed deleting it which is an option, as well. Primarily, the issue was the constant checking of the thread to see if it was time for anyone's birthday and/or anniversary; maintaining it isn't much of an issue. As we've said, it was a great idea years ago when the original incarnation of the thread began and the Groupies was a much smaller group; now, it's grown nearly untenable.

I have to admit I am a relative newbie here so I really don't feel like I have the right to an opinion as to whether it should come or go. But I do know this much, if you leave the post, people will still post wishes to the thread as it is a DISboard instinct and much quicker than to PM someone.
You're a Groupie, and Groupies can always chime in. Newbie or not, everyone's opinion is welcome. As suggested, it appears we will leave the page up. :thumbsup2

And once again we discuss the possibility of change; it is, indeed, the seasoning in our soup of life. But what goes around can often times come around. Letting things change can have a refreshing and energizing affect on much of what we do, never to be afraid of, yet caution should be applied. The interaction of those that participate in this thread will continue to flourish in the years to come, I have no fear of that changing.

As I reviewed the first pages of this 4 year thread, I hope that we continue to feature that great picture of Ranger Stan. Although some may not have had the pleasure of meeting Ranger Stan and experiencing his love and fascination with The Lodge, he still lives within this thread and in the hearts of many of us. For me, he was the Spirit of The Lodge and always will be.
Some time ago, I ventured the idea to JT of allowing someone else to run this thread and take over for me. Although, I enjoy what I do, and the drain on time for me is actually minimal (relative to doing birthdays and anniversaries), I felt that someone else might want to makeover the page into a more valuable compendium re: VWL, sort of how awesome our sister CCVC thread now looks. JT reminded me that if I go away, the existing thread then also goes away, so I quickly changed my mind.

All of that to say two things: 1) I like the idea of keeping Ranger Stan on the first page, and though I never met him, his appeal to everyone who did was obvious. It's a great tie to our past, so I would never delete him. 2) IF anyone else ever does want to start the next version of the Groupies thread and our Groupies agree to do so, then I am still more than willing to step down and let new blood in. Again, this isn't a call for relief as my minor housekeeping isn't difficult, just an acknowledgement that, as Dad so sagely put it above, change is the "seasoning in our soup of life." So, if change is wanted or deemed desirable, I will willingly hand the reins over to someone else who is more tech savvy than am I.

Finally, we are back from Disneyland, and once I get pics uploaded, I'll fill you in. It was a great trip with only one annoyance--the fact the new Pixar Pier area wasn't available to us at all during our stay; in fact, it opened up the day AFTER we left. Knowing that, seeing the CMs and social media types on the coaster and ferris wheel, made us supremely envious. Still, it was a hoot from day one through the end.

Ranger Stan was a great guy and represented the Lodge perfectly. We did his tours multiple times and he always took time to chat with us when we saw him in the lobby. I couldn't agree more with your description of Ranger Stan and I also hope he will remain a part of "groupie" lore here on the thread.

Denise, you are a bonafide groupie and newbie or not, have a right to speak your thoughts here. And I appreciate the feedback. I welcome the thoughts of others continuing to use the Bdays/Annivs. page to recognize folks special days and therefore will keep it up there. In fact, my wish would be for it to continue to thrive. But for it to do so, others will have to step up. And if not, then still, the page shall remain.

In fact I have no issue if folks want to PM me to add their names to the list in the future. This was something that KAT4DISNEY had so graciously jumped in both feet and took the reins on in addition to so willingly making sure everyone who is listed on the page was always recognized. I think I can speak for her and myself in saying, though this doesn't sound like a daunting task, it becomes so on a daily basis, as we wanted to make sure no one gets missed. For me personally, our business increased so much that I found I didn't have the time that I once had to make sure I was doing the task at hand and giving it what was needed to make sure no one got slighted.

So Kathy stepped in and filled that role for me. But she has seen the times change too. And therefore this is how we concluded to this decision. Nothing else will change, we will still go on being the VWL Groupies, with hopes that we will continue to grow, meet new folks, and just as importantly, hold to those of us in the past that have been around here for quite some time.

I have been with my current employer since I graduated College. 25 years. We get a nice big bonus at 25 years....$500.00 for every year. I was really thinking about buying more points with it but quickly became depressed when I looked at how little it will get me even via resale. I really want to add on at a resort with more years...BLT or Poly but that won't get me much at either!!!
Congrats on 25 years!

I want to thank Jimmy, Kathy and Patrick for keeping up this fabulous thread. I really appreciate it....I will say I am very guilty of missing birthdays and anniversaries, but I do like the idea of leaving them posted on page 1...:thanks:

I want to thank Jimmy, Kathy and Patrick for keeping up this fabulous thread. I really appreciate it....I will say I am very guilty of missing birthdays and anniversaries, but I do like the idea of leaving them posted on page 1...:thanks:
I enjoy seeing others' good fortune when they get to go on a trip and I'm stuck at home. Seriously, it is fun to see all the various trips and cruises we all take over the years. No need to feel guilt at all; we all lead busy lives, and perhaps that's biggest factor. Thanks for the thanks!

As mentioned, our trip to DL was every bit as special as we hoped. We had some frantic moments on the first leg of our flights, the one leaving out of RDU. We thought it would be slow on a Sunday morning at 5:30, but no-o-o. The line to check bags inside was literally 70-80 yards long. The skycap line was shorter but they only had two skycaps. We got on with moments to spare and our luggage made it all the way. We checked in to our 1BR at GCV around noon--and the room was ready! It was gorgeous, of course, but we were hungry so headed to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. Food overall was very good; service was adequate. Here are a few pics:
Jazz%202_zpsrt73rzfl.jpg
Jazz%20Kitchen_zpsttfisr39.jpg

Boudain balls with dipping sauces and a trio of Cajun-style soups
Jazz%203_zpsvzquhdtb.jpg
Jazz%204_zpspsm84grv.jpg

Had to order this 20 minutes ahead of time--double chocolate bread pudding souffle!
Jazz%205_zpsw6bk6ap8.jpg

Thank you Corinne!

Sleepy
Sorry your trip started off in frantic mode, but good to know all worked out. Flying is for the birds :D and I tend to avoid it unless we have one of those undriveable(like Disneyland, Aulani, London) type flights needed. I look often at the flights out of GSO or RDU to see if there are any deals to Disneyworld that I just cant pass up, usually not finding anything worth the savings vs. the hassle. 10 hr drive, boom, we are there! Plus liking having my vehicle at my disposal at WDW

I look forward to hearing more about your trip and seeing more pics!

. . . . . Flying is for the birds :D and I tend to avoid it unless we have one of those undriveable (like Disneyland, Aulani, London) type flights needed. . . . . . .

I have told DiznyDi often, than other than Aulani, I have no reason to go anywhere that I can't drive. I have literally flown over much of this planet, had hundreds of flights in my day, have a thousand stories to tell, but I want to be done with that. I have seen so many wonderful things and beautiful places, but have pretty much flown over all the things to see in the good ol' USA.

And I have often been asked, "while you were in such and such, did you see this, that, or the other thing?" No, I was working; you know . . airport, hotel, job site, hotel, job site, hotel, airport, home. No time to see the really cool stuff. So I want to see what I have missed, and I just don't need any more opportunities to be handed the three most dangerous words in our language when flying - Cancelled, Postponed, Delayed. And add the empty luggage carousel without my bag to be found to that list. Don't get me started on the TSA experience - adds to the reason why they call it the Terminal Experience.

Sorry, I feel better now . . . :confused3

And I have often been asked, "while you were in such and such, did you see this, that, or the other thing?" No, I was working; you know . . airport, hotel, job site, hotel, job site, hotel, airport, home. No time to see the really cool stuff. So I want to see what I have missed, and I just don't need any more opportunities to be handed the three most dangerous words in our language when flying - Cancelled, Postponed, Delayed. And add the empty luggage carousel without my bag to be found to that list. Don't get me started on the TSA experience - adds to the reason why they call it the Terminal Experience.

DDad...this is a great summary of the woes of business travel. It sounds so adventurous to those who don't actually have to do it! At this point, we tend to fly more than we did when we were lugging the kids along with us...the Southwest VISA card makes it so easy and cheap it is hard to resist! But yes, air travel definitely has its own set of frustrations that never seem to get much better. :sad2:

Dad--Love, LOVE that explanation! While I didn't travel for business as much as you, I have flown quite a lot in my life, at least when I was younger and in the service. I used to enjoy flying. Now? HATE. IT. Like JT, I fly only when I absolutely must. Obviously, California was a must. Maine will likely be a must (16+ hours driving one way). Other than that, no thank you. I get treated like cattle often enough at Disney--I don't need it going and returning from there, as well. pirate:

I have told DiznyDi often, than other than Aulani, I have no reason to go anywhere that I can't drive. I have literally flown over much of this planet, had hundreds of flights in my day, have a thousand stories to tell, but I want to be done with that. I have seen so many wonderful things and beautiful places, but have pretty much flown over all the things to see in the good ol' USA.

Sorry, I feel better now . . . :confused3

Great way to describe the art of flight! I remember my 1st, Eastern Airlines, junior in HS, walked out the the plane, flew to Atlanta and back, simple easy peasy. Nowadays, no way!! All my flights have been for pleasure trips, none for business and hope to remain that way.

After 911, it all came to a halt, any pleasures of flying. Yes, Bin Laden and his cronies did a number on us worldwide. They made us wake up and realize the realities of life, when we were living in a fantasyworld, "we were safe", convincing ourselves of no danger. But lets be real with ourselves, at least for me, I was always wary of others around me in those other seats, way before 9/11 ever happened. Call it street savvy if you will, or seeing too many Airplane/Airport movies:duck:

A fellow lives nearby who I see often at a local eats who was once what he calls a "AirCop." And he was on a plane to Hawaii on the job on 9/11. He speaks often about that day. And he says the TSA could be so much improved if given proper training, etc. In other words, life could be back to the old days when we would "enjoy" flying again. But he says often as long as we the public keep on supporting the mode of transport and don't call for true change, they will continue putting us through the ringer.

A fellow lives nearby who I see often at a local eats who was once what he calls a "AirCop." And he was on a plane to Hawaii on the job on 9/11. He speaks often about that day. And he says the TSA could be so much improved if given proper training, etc. In other words, life could be back to the old days when we would "enjoy" flying again. But he says often as long as we the public keep on supporting the mode of transport and don't call for true change, they will continue putting us through the ringer.
Sort of like the Disney experience! :duck:

. . . . . . I fly only when I absolutely must. Obviously, California was a must. Maine will likely be a must (16+ hours driving one way). . . . . . . . .

That is why I can drive to where I want to go . . . comfy seat, my route, leisurely schedule, plus I can stop on the way to see the World's largest ball of string, or frying pan; see battlefields, stay at quaint B&Bs, buy stuff I don't need along the way, and eat the local fare along the way. Maybe even talk to a few folks instead of rushing past to get to my next gate.

I don't mean to say I'll never fly after retirement, but not having to stand in line where they tell me, sit when they say to sit, and have my underwear inspected by strangers, sure sounds appealing from where I stand today. And by the way, it is getting harder to predict when I need to use the restroom; lately it seems to be more of a necessity the closer we get to landing the plane. Just sayin'.

It doesn't look like we have too many groupies with lodge trips planned for awhile but for those that do there seems to be some cute new merchandise at the Mercantile. Humphrey's facebook page has some photos for anyone that is interested in looking at it. I didn't notice anything specifically for our home but I'm still not looking for anything that has Boulder on it. :rolleyes:
How to get to Humphrey FB page?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter