• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Wow; it has been a long time since I have seen out thread so far below "the fold", with over 24 hrs with no posting.
Everyone must be resting up from a recent trip, planning the next trip, or having a great time, since it is now SUMMER!

Here's wishing DiznyDi a party: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! party: 43 wonderful years.

Thank you all for the wishes. We spent the day texting each other as DiznyDi needed to be elsewhere.

DiznyDi had to make an unplanned trip to North Carolina to bring her Mom back from visiting family after a cardiac event scare.

Her Mom is on year ~17 of a ten year promise after heart bypass surgery years ago. She suffers from dementia, and has recently made a good recovery from a broken hip, dislocated shoulder, and struggles with really bad knees.

As many of you know, American Airlines was plagued with computer problems, so the airports filled up with lots of folks stranded, frustrated, and needing showers. It was a fight for DiznyDi to get there, as her flights suffered from the three big words all of us have had to face at one time or another; Cancelled, postponed, delayed. But finally after 24 hours, she was able to make it from N.E. Ohio to N. Carolina, with the hope of picking Mom up and returning yet today.

We thank you all again for the kind wishes. We have had a wonderful fairytale life with each other; facing life's dilemmas and enjoying the gifts He has laid before us always together, and in harmony of thought and goal. We both look forward to the rest of the adventure with enthusiasm, love, and our aches and pains. It has been this group that has added so much to our adventure. We thank you all for the fun.

We thank you all again for the kind wishes. We have had a wonderful fairytale life with each other; facing life's dilemmas and enjoying the gifts He has laid before us always together, and in harmony of thought and goal. We both look forward to the rest of the adventure with enthusiasm, love, and our aches and pains. It has been this group that has added so much to our adventure. We thank you all for the fun.

DDad...prayers going up for Di to have a quick and safe trip home with her Mom. You two have made this thread, and this world, a better place for having you part of it. God bless.

Thank you all for the wishes. We spent the day texting each other as DiznyDi needed to be elsewhere.

DiznyDi had to make an unplanned trip to North Carolina to bring her Mom back from visiting family after a cardiac event scare.

Her Mom is on year ~17 of a ten year promise after heart bypass surgery years ago. She suffers from dementia, and has recently made a good recovery from a broken hip, dislocated shoulder, and struggles with really bad knees.

As many of you know, American Airlines was plagued with computer problems, so the airports filled up with lots of folks stranded, frustrated, and needing showers. It was a fight for DiznyDi to get there, as her flights suffered from the three big words all of us have had to face at one time or another; Cancelled, postponed, delayed. But finally after 24 hours, she was able to make it from N.E. Ohio to N. Carolina, with the hope of picking Mom up and returning yet today.

Thinking of you all and wishing for safe and easier travels home for Di and her mother! Also for a good recovery from the cardiac event.

Happy Anniversary, Di and Dad!!

On the road to come home, technically at LAX waiting to wait some more before loading. ETA to get home? 3 a.m. Has been superb trip. More details to come. . .

I'm back and I will make a post about that but I had to reply to ErinC...but I have to announce something beforehand so it makes sense. I decided to pursue a dream of mine to become a TA specializing in Disney (still teaching, this is just an add on)!

After doing the training for Aulani, it is now on my 5 year (I hope) plan to get there! I figure we can make a grand adventure and do DLR on the same trip!

Girl, you and I might just be sisters separated at birth! I have so wanted to be a TA most of my life. Please tell me all the details about how you are doing this, along with managing it with your teaching job?? Feel free to PM me if I'm being entirely too nosey for you to want to blast your business all over the internet. :offtopic:

Happy Anniversary to Di and Dad. So sorry that her mom is having these issues. I hope she arrives back home safely.

It looks like sleepy is having a wonderful trip as well. Can't wait to hear all the details about it soon.

I went to Arkansas last week to get DD18 all registered and ready for August at her university. Can't believe that is right around the corner. On the trip I was able to snag the BWV studio I wanted for the one night in July. Magic Bands arrived yesterday, so we are ready to try out Toystory Land! Came home from that trip and then headed to New Orleans with DH this week. I bought him tickets to see the Eagles for Christmas. They were awesome! Probably the best concert that I have ever been to. Deacon Frey sang some of his Dad's songs and Vince Gill did the rest (I didn't realize that he had joined them permanently). Loved the trip and loved having a little time to spend with DH. Tomorrow the girls and I head out to church camp for a week. Gonna be super hot, but always so fulfilling to spend a week in a cabin with 40 13-18 year olds! :hyper2: Must go, I need to pack.

Happy Anniversary Di & Dad.....wishing you many more years of happiness.

Di I am lifting you and your mom up in prayer, I know how difficult it can be, I am sorry. :hug:

Girl, you and I might just be sisters separated at birth! I have so wanted to be a TA most of my life. Please tell me all the details about how you are doing this, along with managing it with your teaching job?? Feel free to PM me if I'm being entirely too nosey for you to want to blast your business all over the internet. :offtopic:
Well, okay, so I haven't done it yet while teaching...so that will be the true test. And that, honestly, has what has kept me from doing it for so long. But someone actually approached me and asked me to join their agency and they asked a few times. So...I took it as a sign and jumped in, feet first! Right now, it isn't much more than advertising myself as I have no clients (I just started a week ago) but I hope to at least make a little extra for my family and my Disney trips! :)

Well, okay, so I haven't done it yet while teaching...so that will be the true test. And that, honestly, has what has kept me from doing it for so long. But someone actually approached me and asked me to join their agency and they asked a few times. So...I took it as a sign and jumped in, feet first! Right now, it isn't much more than advertising myself as I have no clients (I just started a week ago) but I hope to at least make a little extra for my family and my Disney trips! :)
Good luck with you TA venture! Luv did it for a few years, and aside from the group for which she worked, enjoyed the experience. Best wishes going forward!

I have been with my current employer since I graduated College. 25 years. We get a nice big bonus at 25 years....$500.00 for every year. I was really thinking about buying more points with it but quickly became depressed when I looked at how little it will get me even via resale. I really want to add on at a resort with more years...BLT or Poly but that won't get me much at either!!!

It doesn't look like we have too many groupies with lodge trips planned for awhile but for those that do there seems to be some cute new merchandise at the Mercantile. Humphrey's facebook page has some photos for anyone that is interested in looking at it. I didn't notice anything specifically for our home but I'm still not looking for anything that has Boulder on it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photos Kathy. It sounds like greed is the reason for the name change for the hotel. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-yosemite-ahwahnee-hotel-20160114-story.html

That story definitely has a slant and I'm not so certain what is being reported by the Naitonal park service in it is correct. More than once have I read as well as been told that the Delaware North contract did indeed include that they had to buy the intellectual property - ie the name trademarks. And also that contract also stated that they needed to sell it if they ever lost the contract. What was forgotten seems to be two things - one, to list a calculation to be used that it would be sold for although it also seems that Delaware North has pretty much just offered to sell it back at the same cost adjusted for inflation. And two - the national park service forgot to include in the new contract that the operator was required to purchase the intellectual property. I also was told that Delaware North won the first round in court so I'm more inclined to believe the reports that the National Park service kind of messed this one up all on their own and have been trying to direct the blame towards greed of Delaware North. The tactic that they are actually sharing on the Majestic Tour is that the name change hasn't affected attendance at all - in fact it's up - so the value of the trademarks is not what Delaware North thinks it is. :sad2: Such a silly argument that really seems to be grasping at straws. It all does seem utterly ridiculous but I think the problems date back to the old contract and some neglect in the new one if most of what I've heard is correct.

To be fair though - I haven't actually seen the contract! :) And I will state that I have stated at the Ahwahnee, not the Majestic. haha

It doesn't look like we have too many groupies with lodge trips planned for awhile but for those that do there seems to be some cute new merchandise at the Mercantile. Humphrey's facebook page has some photos for anyone that is interested in looking at it. I didn't notice anything specifically for our home but I'm still not looking for anything that has Boulder on it. :rolleyes:

Lol, no boulders Kathy!!?? Hehe..

We actually may be at VWL for 3 nights in September. I had to tweak our dates due to our sons work commitments. I don’t like switching resorts, but I do love our lodge!

Last edited:
Attn: All Groupies
SleepyDog, Kat4Disney and I made a decision over the last couple days to bring an end to the birthdays and anniversaries page. Its made a great run, and fun to celebrate folks special days. But over the past few months, we have also seen a rather significant decline in participation once a post has been made, whether others don't join in, or the recipient doesn't respond at all. Times have changed, and maybe its run its course. We will be continuing through until the end of June with the remaining Birthdays and Anniversaries.

I want to personally thank Kathy for taking on the role in the past few years. She took quite a load off me at that time and I can't thank her enough for doing so.

All other things here on the groupies will remain the same, and we will continue on the course of keeping it a great safe place to hang out, be yourself, and know you will always have a friend here:grouphug:

Attn: All Groupies
SleepyDog, Kat4Disney and I made a decision over the last couple days to bring an end to the birthdays and anniversaries page. Its made a great run, and fun to celebrate folks special days. But over the past few months, we have also seen a rather significant decline in participation once a post has been made, whether others don't join in, or the recipient doesn't respond at all. Times have changed, and maybe its run its course. We will be continuing through until the end of June with the remaining Birthdays and Anniversaries.

I want to personally thank Kathy for taking on the role in the past few years. She took quite a load off me at that time and I can't thank her enough for doing so.

All other things here on the groupies will remain the same, and we will continue on the course of keeping it a great safe place to hang out, be yourself, and know you will always have a friend here:grouphug:

I think this is a good decision. Lots of work, and diminishing returns. And life is all about change, though sometimes we get a little grumpy about that! :)

Rather than delete the post on Page 1, can we just leave it? After all, birthdays and anniversaries don't change (all that much :rolleyes: ) and it might be a handy reference to have in case anyone wants to PM somebody about picking up another year in age or marriage. :)

Patrick, Kathy, and Jimmy...your efforts are truly appreciated. :thanks:

It's hard to believe that this version of the thread is already more than 4 years old! I've cherished the friends I've made here and the good fortune to meet many of you in person at some point at WDW.

Granny
I think this is a good idea. I don't mind leaving it with some word changes. And if anyone feels so inclined to PM or share a special day here on the groupies, still, all the better.
And thank you for the kind words Tom.
I agree, what a cool place to hang out this has been. We are a unique group among the web where so much negativity floats around. I too cherish the friendships made here:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter