Voyage of the little Mermaid

mickeysgirl17

Wish I was at Disney
I was very disappointed to see that voyage of the little mermaid in DHS is currently not showing. It was one of my favorite shows. I'm also surprised since the new movie is being promoted right now. We are APs now and hoping this one might come back. Do we have any news or info about this? Anyone know why they stopped the shows?

I've heard rumors that the theater has a mold issue due to the water effects in the show but unsure whether that's true or not.

Also worth pointing out that Disney has removed all mentions of the show on their site and the queue area was removed as well.

Another of my favorite attractions closing. But to be fair it initially had only been expected to be open a couple of years so I count myself lucky for how much I got out of it.

Lets hope that whatever replaces it continues in the same fasion with updated technology. Obvious choice being moana.

It closed well before Covid, and at the time I’m pretty sure it was announced to be permanent.
THIS^

While I don't think they were loud and clear I do think it was put out there that is it a goner. I'm pretty sure it was never supposed to be permanent show. Honestly that space, Launch Bay and the Playhouse is a chunk of land and I know at one point it was rumored to be an expansion of Pixar showcasing Monster's Inc.

The show was on the chopping block leading up to the Covid closures… the fact that the building is infested with mold solidified it not returning… I’d love for Disney to have it in the budget to rebuild the theater from the ground up or at least gut it out to remove the mold and renovate internally to mount a new show

THIS^

While I don't think they were loud and clear I do think it was put out there that is it a goner. I'm pretty sure it was never supposed to be permanent show. Honestly that space, Launch Bay and the Playhouse is a chunk of land and I know at one point it was rumored to be an expansion of Pixar showcasing Monster's Inc.
Yeah, that whole section is very lacking.

I saw this thread while posting another one and thought of something...Hollywood Studios is the park of nostalgia. There are a LOT of 50s-related things there (Prime Time, Sci Fi, Tower of Terror). Little Mermaid was for the 80s/90s crowd. Why not put a circa-1990 themed restaurant in there if you aren't going to bring back Voyage of the Little Mermaid? Now that people who saw Little Mermaid in the theater when it came out are bringing their own kids, it might be a great idea.

I remember this show as the very first show I had chosen to see after we ate our character breakfast at the former Soundstage Restaurant at Disney's Hollywood Studios in 1997 during our only Walt Disney World trip and so after we ate we went right away to Voyage Of The Little Mermaid and we saw the first showing and it was so awesome and the show was so well done and so amazing. My mom was so enchanted with it as well that when my aunt and cousin joined us that afternoon my mother took my aunt with her to show her Voyage Of The Little Mermaid and my aunt loved it too. I wonder why Walt Disney World doesn't put another The Little Mermaid themed stage show because it would be great to see. An interesting fact is that one of the Ariels in that show was Miss America of 1992 as well as an actress as well but I don't know if she also played Ariel when Ariel did meet and greets too
Dodger

I saw this thread while posting another one and thought of something...Hollywood Studios is the park of nostalgia. There are a LOT of 50s-related things there (Prime Time, Sci Fi, Tower of Terror). Little Mermaid was for the 80s/90s crowd. Why not put a circa-1990 themed restaurant in there if you aren't going to bring back Voyage of the Little Mermaid? Now that people who saw Little Mermaid in the theater when it came out are bringing their own kids, it might be a great idea.
Cafe 80s, from Back to the Future Part 2!

Sounds like it will probably be gone permanently, though then it's a bit weird that it still is showing up on the online DHS map (I just checked)

Aww that sucks. Doesn't sound like it will be coming back. I was born in the 80's and Little Mermaid is one of my very favorite classic Disney movies.

What’s more appalling is this show has been closed for 3 years and Disney is fine letting that prime piece of land just stay vacant on the property!

Another of my favorite attractions closing. But to be fair it initially had only been expected to be open a couple of years so I count myself lucky for how much I got out of it.

Lets hope that whatever replaces it continues in the same fasion with updated technology. Obvious choice being moana.
They already have a Moana attraction opening this year.

Instead of a new show, how about if they just tear down the whole theater and build a new ride (especially since the existing building is "infested with mold" :scared1:). How about a new Indy ride, or a clone of Shanghai Pirates (yes, I'm dreaming out loud).

DHS has been undergoing a (much needed) transition from "show heavy" to "ride heavy" and I think that should continue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter