Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia trip report 2013

Something the PP posted made me wonder about the climate. If I recall correctly, the rainy season starts in another month or two - right? Or is it already here?

Also, about the mosquitoes, did you have to get (or were you advised to get) anti-maliara pills for this trip?

One more thing, hot & humid? I'm recalling some fairly steamy days but maybe I'm wrong - it was over 40 years ago.

It's the rainy season now. It has rained twice on the trip - once in Cu Chi, and once in Cambodia when we arrived. Both for about 45 min and then it stopped. Pack a small umbrella just in case.

We've stayed at the Sheraton Saigon before and I know they have both the hotel and a more upscale Tower. Did you guys get rooms in the Tower?

The tower! :D Which is why you have access to the private lounge stocked with sodas, food, even complementary mixed drinks, wine, beer. The first picture I posted overlooking Saigon river was from our room on the 23rd floor. We may have lucked out with that room as guests were on all different floors.

Excellent! Enjoy your trip.
We just finished up our Cambodian temple run, and today was hot. It was so much fun, but it was crazy hot doing out treasure hunt. What a great time though. Enjoy!

Excellent! Enjoy your trip.
We just finished up our Cambodian temple run, and today was hot. It was so much fun, but it was crazy hot doing out treasure hunt. What a great time though. Enjoy!

Did you guys ride the tuk-tuks? How many people does it carry?

Hi Cousin Orville,

I have another question... which airline/route did you take to Vietnam?

Did you guys ride the tuk-tuks? How many people does it carry?

Yes. In Cambodia 3 fit fine. 4 may be tight but would prob work. There are 2 benches that face each other. The Tuk tuks in Laos are larger and fit 4+ if you use them.

Hi Cousin Orville,

I have another question... which airline/route did you take to Vietnam?

Singapore Airlines from Houston to Singapore with an hour layover in Moscow and a couple hrs in Singapore. At the time that was the quickest route flying back through Siem Reap (to Singapore and back). But a number of guests are going through Seoul and it sounds a bit faster, but I didn't see that option at the time I booked. There were a ton of ppl on our flight from Houston going to SGN so I suspect it's similar.

Thanks so much, Cousin Orville.

Looking forward to your next installment and photos!

As requested, here's Jennae testing the snake wine. As I'm sure some of you already know, she's an amazing guide. Always laughing.

9099542334_21dc4fbca4.jpg

Day 3 From Saigon to Hoi An

We started the day at the War Remnants Museum. For anyone with young kids, you can still take them around most of the museum. Some of the Tiger cages outside the museum and the 2nd floor inside the musuem is recommended for older kids only. It was interesting and I suppose a must do considering history, but not necessarily a highlight for me. I'll leave it at that.

Afterwards we headed out of the city and into Cu Chi to see the tunnels. This was quite enjoyable and certainly a must do. The children especially had a fun time crawling in and out of the tunnels. All very safe and large enough for adults to go through. That's Henry from Hanoi with the sign. Another awesome guide. He won't be on the next couple of tours, but those of you that have later tours with him will really love him. What a great guy.

From the tunnels it's straight to the airport and on to Da Nang which is 30 min north of Hoi An. Hoi An is basically a beach town. The hotel reminds me of Hawaii. It's all open air. They have an awesome pool. Very relaxing. Tonight was JA night where the kids watched Toy Story 3 and adults were invited to eat at the hotel's main restaurant off the main menu which was a welcome touch. The food was great. My dad and I had traditional Vietnamese, but they had western dishes as well. They have what's called a White Rose which is specific to the Hoi An area and is incredible. Try it if you see it.

9096703871_8805549f19.jpg

9096703919_20157daed7.jpg

9099542530_48bb91cca9.jpg

9096704039_e983c770b1.jpg

9096704221_0176286396.jpg

9096704287_c21db68043.jpg

9099497222_8a1554aca9.jpg

This sounds like a fantastic trip. My mom and I just returned from Greece, where everything is uphill-stairs everywhere. I am curious whether you find this trip at all physically challenging-and perhaps what you think your Dad's perspective would be. We're torn between this trip and Bella Italia, but the physicality of the trip might be the deciding factor.

Can't wait to read more. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nora

I remember the Cu Chi tunnels. Very interesting. I also remember Hoi An and while it has a beautiful beach it is well known for it clothing shops. You can buy or have lots of things tailor made in a day. Also has lots of nice restaurants like Morning glory and Good morning Vietnam. We went on to Hue, Halong Bay and Hanoi from there. What a wonderful trip with lots of great memories. Thanks for reminding me with updates and pictures Uncle Orville. Enjoy your wonderful trip.

Let me amend my answer. We headed out to the temples again today. 4 ppl per tuc tuc fit fine

Thanks Cousin Orville. One of our friends has a large frame, so I was curious if one tuk-tuk will fit the 4 of us.

And thanks for posting pics of the 2 amazing AbD guides. I hope we get them on our departure.

By the way, did anyone succumb to "Montezuma/Ho Chi Minh's Revenge"? When we went to Vietnam last year with another tour group, a couple of our fellow travelers had a bad case of food poisoning. And we ate at the hotel restaurant so we thought the food was safe...

This sounds like a fantastic trip. My mom and I just returned from Greece, where everything is uphill-stairs everywhere. I am curious whether you find this trip at all physically challenging-and perhaps what you think your Dad's perspective would be. We're torn between this trip and Bella Italia, but the physicality of the trip might be the deciding factor.

Can't wait to read more. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nora

I wouldn't say it's terribly demanding, but that's coming from someone in their 30's. The only thing my dad skipped was Mt Phu Si.

Mt Phu Si in Laos is close to 300 steps, but you certainly have the option to skip it. The group is there about an hour and then back to the resort. Not a big deal.

Now Angkor Wat and the other temples could be demanding. Ankor Wat and the other temples have uneven stone stone floors and stair cases to traverse. I'll have photos that will probably give a good representation when I get to that day.

One other think to consider is walking across streets if your Mom is particularly slow. There are few crosswalks in Vietnam. You just make your way through the taffic. It's wasn't a problem for anyone on my trip, but I wouldn't take my Grandmother there. You have to be able to walk at a steady pace. The guides generally hold out their arms and stop traffic for everyone to cross together like sticky rice... It's kinda funny. But certainly worth thinking about considering her limitations.

Thanks Cousin Orville. One of our friends has a large frame, so I was curious if one tuk-tuk will fit the 4 of us.

And thanks for posting pics of the 2 amazing AbD guides. I hope we get them on our departure.

By the way, did anyone succumb to "Montezuma/Ho Chi Minh's Revenge"? When we went to Vietnam last year with another tour group, a couple of our fellow travelers had a bad case of food poisoning. And we ate at the hotel restaurant so we thought the food was safe...

If you need more than one Tuc Tuc I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Even on your own, they're dirt cheap. We went out into Siem Reap today for lunch had the driver wait for us and drive us back to the hotel. $5 plus a tip.

Jennae is doing the next 3 or 4 trips. I forget. And Henry I think said he was taking a month off... But will be back.

Yeah a few ppl did get sick. It seemed very much a fluke and only lasted 24 hrs at most. I wouldn't let it deter anyone. One of the families whose son was sick for a day said it the best ABD they had done and they had been on several. Everyone I spoke with said the same. Absolutely amazing.

Some areas in Ho Chi MInh city have special security to stop traffic for those crossing the street. We were told to look straight ahead and keep walking. The traffic will go around you. Sometimes the traffic seems a little crazy but looking straight ahead and walking at a steady pace not running does work. They do have tons of motorcycles over there and it amazing how everything works so well but it does.

If you need more than one Tuc Tuc I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Even on your own, they're dirt cheap. We went out into Siem Reap today for lunch had the driver wait for us and drive us back to the hotel. $5 plus a tip.

Jennae is doing the next 3 or 4 trips. I forget. And Henry I think said he was taking a month off... But will be back.

Yeah a few ppl did get sick. It seemed very much a fluke and only lasted 24 hrs at most. I wouldn't let it deter anyone. One of the families whose son was sick for a day said it the best ABD they had done and they had been on several. Everyone I spoke with said the same. Absolutely amazing.

Thanks, Cousin Orville. It sounds like tuk-tuks are the way to go. How far is the Sofitel in Siem Reap located from the city center? Did you enjoy the food in Laos and Cambodia? Do they have pho or is that only found in Vietnam? Did the breakfast buffets offer both Asian and Western food?

Thanks, Cousin Orville. It sounds like tuk-tuks are the way to go. How far is the Sofitel in Siem Reap located from the city center? Did you enjoy the food in Laos and Cambodia? Do they have pho or is that only found in Vietnam? Did the breakfast buffets offer both Asian and Western food?

The Sofitel in Siem Reap is maybe 5 min from the city center. I don't recall pho on the menus in Laos or Cambodia as it is really a Vietnamese dish, but I bet you still see it around if you're specifically looking for it.

I really enjoyed the food throughout the trip including Laos and Cambodian. In Siem Reap we had a chance to go to The Sugar Palm for lunch which is a well know restaurant specializing in traditional Khmer food. I ended up learning about it from a Gordon Ramsay show on discovering SE Asian cuisine. We also ate dinner at Cuisine Wat Damnak which also focuses on local Cambodian cuisine but with a fine dining approach. (Relaxed atmosphere; don't dress up) The food was ridiculously good. Easily Michelin star level quality, and at $26 pp a crazy bargain. I highly recommend it. Email for reservations to be safe.

Yes, the breakfast buffets all had Asian and Western selections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter