JoeyPeligroso

Mouseketeer
My favorite DVC resorts are CCV, AKL, VGF, and BCV. When I purchased CCV it was a good choice as AKL options are usually open at 7 months. BCV was not attractive as a buyer because of the shorter length of the contract. The VGF price points were not where I wanted to be with my first direct purchase in Summer 2020, but were a strong consideration based on length of contract, resort, and location. For better or worse, my preference is direct purchases. CCV points in the Summer of 2020 were a solid direct buy and they have been great. I purchased enough points to comfortably stay at CCV 2-bedrooms on a yearly basis. I figured that there would be some times where I could use my CCV points for a 2-bedroom at VGF.

Relative to CCV, I ruined my points perspective early in the game by staying at a cabin (it was awesome!). Since then, I’ve been considering an add-on to my current CCV contracts to allow for a 1-week yearly stay at a CCV cabin.

I was intrigued by the direct price for VGF2 today – thanks DVC, now I feel the need to add on…

I love my CCV points and would happily consider more points there if the direct price were right. They sure aren’t right today, but wouldn’t having points for a 2-3 bedroom at VGF in alternating years be great? Could I also use the VGF2 points for my original CCV cabin plan??….

The fever of addonitis began to get uncomfortable as I considered the possibilities. I e-mailed my guide. She had left the company and my e-mail bounced back. This should have been a sign, but I called them anyway and they assigned me a new guide. She called me back and gave me all the pricing details to consider.

As I poked around on the member site after my call, CCV cabins do seem to be pretty open at 7 months. So, VGF points could potentially be used there to increase my yearly length of a stay in a cabin to a week or alternatively give a nice option for an 11-month 2-bedroom or better booking at VGF either yearly or every other year.

Not sure that anyone knows for sure, but in my reading here I’m a bit concerned that the competition for 2-bedrooms may increase at VGF with the larger number of points in the pool from VGF2 – you may need to own there and book at 11-months to have any chance at a 2-bedroom?

So, is a VGF2 points purchase a viable option for my VGF 2-bedoom and CCV cabin plans?

The opinion of this internet stranger is that yes, your VGF2 points purchase is a viable option for your plans. If you think competition to book a 2 bedroom will get tougher at VGF, then you'll want to own there. At the 11 month mark, there's now 1.8M-ish new points all eligible to compete for the same number of 2 bedrooms.

My favorite DVC resorts are CCV, AKL, VGF, and BCV. When I purchased CCV it was a good choice as AKL options are usually open at 7 months. BCV was not attractive as a buyer because of the shorter length of the contract. The VGF price points were not where I wanted to be with my first direct purchase in Summer 2020, but were a strong consideration based on length of contract, resort, and location. For better or worse, my preference is direct purchases. CCV points in the Summer of 2020 were a solid direct buy and they have been great. I purchased enough points to comfortably stay at CCV 2-bedrooms on a yearly basis. I figured that there would be some times where I could use my CCV points for a 2-bedroom at VGF.

Relative to CCV, I ruined my points perspective early in the game by staying at a cabin (it was awesome!). Since then, I’ve been considering an add-on to my current CCV contracts to allow for a 1-week yearly stay at a CCV cabin.

I was intrigued by the direct price for VGF2 today – thanks DVC, now I feel the need to add on…

I love my CCV points and would happily consider more points there if the direct price were right. They sure aren’t right today, but wouldn’t having points for a 2-3 bedroom at VGF in alternating years be great? Could I also use the VGF2 points for my original CCV cabin plan??….

The fever of addonitis began to get uncomfortable as I considered the possibilities. I e-mailed my guide. She had left the company and my e-mail bounced back. This should have been a sign, but I called them anyway and they assigned me a new guide. She called me back and gave me all the pricing details to consider.

As I poked around on the member site after my call, CCV cabins do seem to be pretty open at 7 months. So, VGF points could potentially be used there to increase my yearly length of a stay in a cabin to a week or alternatively give a nice option for an 11-month 2-bedroom or better booking at VGF either yearly or every other year.

Not sure that anyone knows for sure, but in my reading here I’m a bit concerned that the competition for 2-bedrooms may increase at VGF with the larger number of points in the pool from VGF2 – you may need to own there and book at 11-months to have any chance at a 2-bedroom?

So, is a VGF2 points purchase a viable option for my VGF 2-bedoom and CCV cabin plans?
So, there's two sides to the 2BR issue at VGF. The immediate thought is with more owners (and many existing owners adding on), there are going to be more points in the system competing for the same number of 2BRs. The only slight counterbalance to this is that the existing 2BRs have a mix of lockoffs which meant the lack of studios was eating into the 2BR inventory when the studios got booked. The influx of 200 resort studios (especially being new rooms people want want to try) might take some pressure off the lock-offs (or it might be no help, if people still prefer the old building.

I think at the end of the day, the point chart is VGF is so high, that there are still only going to be so many people that can foot the points bill and 2BRs will still be accessible at 11 months if you're ready to book when the rooms go online. As always, just as big an issue to consider is "when are you travelling" and what is going to provide the most personal joy and value to you.

I thought I would never write this but these new VGF2 points can make for decent sleep around points. Decent contract length remaining, no Riviera-like resale restrictions, good incentives for buying 200 or more, and I consider it a bonus that you have the 11 month booking if you want a 1BR/2BR/GV at VGF1. There is a lot to like about these points, although I am definitely not a fan of the resort studios (aka hotel rooms).

I thought I would never write this but these new VGF2 points can make for decent sleep around points. Decent contract length remaining, no Riviera-like resale restrictions, good incentives for buying 200 or more, and I consider it a bonus that you have the 11 month booking if you want a 1BR/2BR/GV at VGF1. There is a lot to like about these points, although I am definitely not a fan of the resort studios (aka hotel rooms).
Don’t forget low dues as well!

Dues are really the most important factor.

VGF points may actually be the best sleep around points you can currently buy, if you factor in the newly (and temporarily) depressed resale market.

I hadn't considered the concept of Sleep Around Points at this price, but I agree that this concept seems to apply here (within the context of my purchase thinking).

To paraphrase what others have said re: buying sleep around points, “buy these knowing that sometimes you will end up staying at the….Grand Floridian?” 🙂

Don’t forget low dues as well!

Dues are really the most important factor.

VGF points may actually be the best sleep around points you can currently buy, if you factor in the newly (and temporarily) depressed resale market.

I still consider my direct CCV purchase in Summer 2020 to have been good buy at the then price per point given how they have subsequently performed in resale. At the current price per point, VGF is lower that my prior Summer 2020 CCV price per point!

If you are staying at Cabins other than maybe at Christmas, 4th, Spring Break then I can't imagine they book up before 7 months but you would have to verify that since you have booked them.

I would do the math and pick the cheapest points possible and not worry about direct vs resale vs resort.

Direct at VGF does nothing for you to stay at Cabins compares to resale at SSR or heck even resale at VGF now is nose diving.

Yes, I think VGF2 is an excellent choice for SAP, assuming you plan to hold for a long time. The question is whether that's good enough.

The CCV cabins are not hard to get outside of peak times. If you're trying to book a week at Spring Break or Christmas or Thanksgiving, this might not work and you will need priority somewhere. The VGF 2BR backup plan might not work either. Reality is there are very few large VGF rooms. We don't know what all these extra points will do to demand for the bigger rooms, and more points will cause more pressure on peak times, which is why they are called peak times.

Also worth looking at the CCV resale. Resale is going to have to respond down to these big drops and it's going to be a mess. Now might be the time to get a resale deal. There's a lot on the market, and there are motivated sellers out there.

Maybe it’s time to coin a new term:
GFSAP = Grand Floridian Sleep Around Points
Never thought that would be a thing!

Yes, I think VGF2 is an excellent choice for SAP, assuming you plan to hold for a long time. The question is whether that's good enough.

The CCV cabins are not hard to get outside of peak times. If you're trying to book a week at Spring Break or Christmas or Thanksgiving, this might not work and you will need priority somewhere. The VGF 2BR backup plan might not work either. Reality is there are very few large VGF rooms. We don't know what all these extra points will do to demand for the bigger rooms, and more points will cause more pressure on peak times, which is why they are called peak times.

Also worth looking at the CCV resale. Resale is going to have to respond down to these big drops and it's going to be a mess. Now might be the time to get a resale deal. There's a lot on the market, and there are motivated sellers out there.

Excellent points, and I agree, buying direct now would be a long-term hold for VGF2 points.

ccv cabins are usually available in the 7 month window. I tend to agree that two bedrooms at grand floridian may be harder to book due to the influx of studios. Not sure yet how grand floridian will play out with all the studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter