VGF members booking now for December

I could be wrong, but I thought AUL was the first DVC where FW were sold. My understanding was they expected to market AUL to the Japanese, who were more familiar with and therefore more comfortable with the fixed week timeshare model.

You're probably right. That was a very active period for DVC and there was a lot more going on then than there is these days. I didn't follow the Aulani debacles that closely so I probably missed that entirely.

DVC resorts sell out to 100% occupancy 100% of the time. All timeshares are sold that way, generally. What makes DVC somewhat unique is the fact that most DVC members use most or all of their points all of the time. Why is this different? Most timeshares have a lot more availability almost all of the time because usage isn't anywhere near 100%. People simply don't use as many of their points which leaves more overall inventory available with those timeshares.

One of the beauties of DVC also becomes one of its liabilities. It's the nature of the DVC beast. It's one of the things we don't talk about a lot, like high DVC use weeks in December, marathon weeks, Easter, July 4, etc., but it does matter. And it generally makes DVC harder in general to book than most other timeshares.

A thought, if I may; that I have seen posted here time and again that we mean no harm by. You were promised a room. Not any particular room. At any particular place. Nor at any particular time (days). With most timeshares, this doesn't matter as much. With DVC, nothing is more important than your 11 month advantage at your home resort. Most times, it does get you a room at least somewhere when you want it. Even that doesn't work sometimes. There are a lot of great and often overlooked DVC resorts. 7 months can be your friend as well. Your contract is fairly long. Sleep around. :) You may find a new favorite, Look at it as new opportunities for new experiences and your DVC journey will be a much more pleasant experience.
I understand this however, we do all pay dues for the particular place we have a deed in. Especially when I chose a December UY for this particular reason. Also, most importantly the reason we chose VGF is because we have a newborn who will be barely one in December 2024 and we liked the idea of being on a monorail resort and within walking distance for naps etc. I really don’t want to end up somewhere where we have to take the stroller on busses, wait for the busses, all that jazz right now. As she’s older it won’t be a big deal as the other two are 7 and 5 currently.

Obviously, thanks to the others who shared links, it’s not a new problem and it’s not anyone’s fault. But I’m still frustrated and feel it’s entirely warranted. Sigh.

The only annoying thing is I will have to borrow my UY points from Dec 2024 to make a booking for Nov 2023. UGH!!!
Oh Dear - Waitlist/replace won’t work if your UY is December - once borrowed - points can’t be moved back…

I understand this however, we do all pay dues for the particular place we have a deed in. Especially when I chose a December UY for this particular reason. Also, most importantly the reason we chose VGF is because we have a newborn who will be barely one in December 2024 and we liked the idea of being on a monorail resort and within walking distance for naps etc. I really don’t want to end up somewhere where we have to take the stroller on busses, wait for the busses, all that jazz right now. As she’s older it won’t be a big deal as the other two are 7 and 5 currently.

Obviously, thanks to the others who shared links, it’s not a new problem and it’s not anyone’s fault. But I’m still frustrated and feel it’s entirely warranted. Sigh.

We all pay dues at our respective resorts for the privilege of all members having access to all resorts at 7 months. It all comes out in the wash, as they say. You bought your contract with an 11 month advantage for booking. It was never guaranteed to you that you'd get a room there at 11 months. Only that you would have the same opportunity to do so as all other GFV owners, which you did. You just didn't get yours (and/or the type of villa you wanted).

Last edited:
We bought VGF back in 2014 and had about 4 years of first week of December. I would book right at 8:00 a.m. 11 months out and would usually get a studio, once all the people figured out the walking we were getting shut out. Luckily, we changed to the summer and have had everything wide open at 11 months and were mostly 1BR. No more studios. Probably be a good idea for you to practice walking for next year if you want VGF for December. I thought BPK would have some availability though. We actually sold our VGF points and now only have CCV and Riviera.

I’d definitely seem more difficult this year than last..I am monitoring as I wait for my window to open on the 15th.

My guess is that now all the points to the resort studios are sold, we will begin to see the true impact on all the room sizes.

Yep this is what I’ve experienced. I was able to check back in and have changed what I currently have to resort studios but originally they were scheduled as lagoon/theme park view. Can I add a favorite week going forward I wonder?

At the time of purchase, members have the option of buying floating week points or a fixed (now favorite) week. Fixed weeks are sold at a 10% premium above the weekly requirement to account for potential seasonal adjustments and the guarantee. It is an option that I rarely hear discussed by guides, but one available to ensure one is able to reserve their preferred dates, villa, and view annually.

I’d definitely seem more difficult this year than last..I am monitoring as I wait for my window to open on the 15th.

My guess is that now all the points to the resort studios are sold, we will begin to see the true impact on all the room sizes.
Do you think I would have better odds trying for the second week of December? Not sure if I should keep what I have and hope my stalking will pay off and someone drops off, or if I should just say forget it and start over

We bought VGF back in 2014 and had about 4 years of first week of December. I would book right at 8:00 a.m. 11 months out and would usually get a studio, once all the people figured out the walking we were getting shut out. Luckily, we changed to the summer and have had everything wide open at 11 months and were mostly 1BR. No more studios. Probably be a good idea for you to practice walking for next year if you want VGF for December. I thought BPK would have some availability though. We actually sold our VGF points and now only have CCV and Riviera.
Since I'm so green..I didn't know walking was a thing. I'm not entirely sure how people do it

Since I'm so green..I didn't know walking was a thing. I'm not entirely sure how people do it
I think what they do is to start booking way ahead of where you are intending on staying. I think for december you need to start before Thanksgiving, and you need enough points to book as many days as possible. Then you wait a few days and cancel the early days and book a few more days closer to your target. This way you are already ahead of anyone trying to book when their 11 month window opens. I've never walked, so I'm not too knowledgeable about it. I would definitely waitlist it right away. It is really a great time of the year to visit WDW.

Do you think I would have better odds trying for the second week of December? Not sure if I should keep what I have and hope my stalking will pay off and someone drops off, or if I should just say forget it and start over
Do you have enough points that you could book even later in December? Like, the 3rd or 4th week? I know crowds are higher at the parks, but it's WAY easier to book DVC in the last part of December than the first.

I also think there is a "shiny new resort" factor at play with Big Pine Key. A few years from now, owners are going to start switching to different resorts at 7 months to explore other options - or trying different times of year - and maybe availability won't be as bad as it is this year.

I think what they do is to start booking way ahead of where you are intending on staying. I think for december you need to start before Thanksgiving, and you need enough points to book as many days as possible. Then you wait a few days and cancel the early days and book a few more days closer to your target. This way you are already ahead of anyone trying to book when their 11 month window opens. I've never walked, so I'm not too knowledgeable about it. I would definitely waitlist it right away. It is really a great time of the year to visit WDW.
Ahh I see that makes sense. I have a promising update! I almost snagged the rest of my reservation this am (Dec 5-8) but then the error message popped up and I knew it was probably gone somehow. Which it was, nothing left at all.

However, I was able to book individually Dec 3&4 and 4&5. They are different views but I figure I can keep checking and maybe I’ll luck out and be able to change to the same view in a few days. It’s not a huge deal if I can’t I’m just glad that they had availability. Dec 3&4 had some decent availability for different views and bedroom types (no standard views but lagoon was available, and studio, 1 & 2 bed were available). The 4&5 only had theme park and less availability overall for bedroom types. I’m guessing people are dropping the dates that were walking. But this is good news!! I’m excited and glad we can go the first week.

Last edited:
Do you have enough points that you could book even later in December? Like, the 3rd or 4th week? I know crowds are higher at the parks, but it's WAY easier to book DVC in the last part of December than the first.
I’m on a basic package right now 😂 I only have 150 points. I realllly want to add on already but it’s not a good time. I’m not working and taking care of a 6 week old so it’s out of the question unfortunately. I did update in another reply to someone else that I was able to piece together a couple more nights. I just need Dec 5-8 to be done! Phew! Hopefully I can get them.

I think you have a point about the newness of the resort rooms!

I’m on a basic package right now 😂 I only have 150 points. I realllly want to add on already but it’s not a good time. I’m not working and taking care of a 6 week old so it’s out of the question unfortunately. I did update in another reply to someone else that I was able to piece together a couple more nights. I just need Dec 5-8 to be done! Phew! Hopefully I can get them.

I think you have a point about the newness of the resort rooms!
Glad you got a few nights pieced together. :) Another great low-points week is the first week of January. Decor is usually still up for a bit into January. And it's easier to book than December. Good luck!

We had no problem booking a 2 bedroom standard view for spring break (high points season) at 11 months, so there are certain times of year that it's wide open.

I am in the same situation with my home resorts. My suggestion would be to keep checking back. Inventory can pop up at unexpected times. Grab the nights that are available (same room category) so you can stitch together a reservation.

You can use the wait list to fill gaps. A lot of times the WL fills pretty quickly when there is a lot of movement in the inventory at 11 months. (I would also keep checking back and not rely entirely on the WL).

(edited to add--looks like you are already doing this )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter