Very restrictive Changes to WDW Annual Passholder Resort Discounts

manning

Just for that I have requested it
There are very restrictive rules for the new Passholder Best Rate Program:

· The Best Rate program is only bookable online (individuals can book themselves through disneyworld.com/passholders and travel agents can book their clients thorough the Disney travel agents web site).

· You must book AT LEAST 60 days in advance.

· A TOTALLY NONREFUNDABLE deposit of one night's room rate and tax is required at the time of booking. If you cancel your reservation, you will lose the entire deposit.

· Changes to the reservation that result in a lower total cost incur a $50 change fee. (For instance, you would be charged $50 if you drop a day from the reservation, or if you change to lower-priced dates or a lower-priced hotel.) Starting to look like the airlines

· The Passholder can book only ONE room at a time (but can book up to 3 rooms for the same hotel and dates with just one Annual Pass, if there is availability) and the Passholder must be an adult. To book more than one room, you must make separate reservations online and the Passholder must be the first adult listed on each room. Then you can call the Disney Reservations Center at (407) W-DISNEY to change the names on the additional rooms. MouseSavers.com reader Matthew M points out that when making the online reservations, you should "specify the actual number of people in the room and not worry about having the correct names. For example, for the room that I booked for my parents, I booked it for two people [with my own name as the first name] and only added my mother's name as the additional guest. I then called and changed my name to my father's name." He learned that if he had specified 3 people so that he could enter both of his parents' names, he would have been charged for an extra adult in the room.

These changes aren't all that new - I booked a room using the BRP in mid-July. It was available for quite a while before I decided to book. The only thing that changed since it was introduced is that it used to be 120 days in advance and now it is 60. (Not sure if the change fee was there from the beginning).

I know there are many who post on the Resorts Forum that do not like the new program. I do - it allows me to book online and still get an AP discount. I hated the call in process. To me one of the best perks of DVC is the reservation system and not having to worry about "getting the best deal". Now I can say the same when I need/want an AP-discounted room.

I don't mind the non-refundable deposit - you're right, it's like the airlines. Can't remember when I've purchased a non-restricted fare - can't afford it, LOL!

IMHO, Disney went to this to stop the abuse of the AP/discount program and to also eliiminate some of the calls/cost associated with it. Can't say I blame them.

Thanks for posting.

Best wishes -

Have to agree Carol. There was a lot of abuse. My only issue is that I didn't renew my AP when it expired in Aug...I needed it to run from Nov to Nov to cover two trips. So, if I had wanted to be able to book a room with the new BR for my trip in Nov I couldn't since I now have only a voucher. BUt, I knew that going in and planned accordingly. I think this new plan will work very well once we all get the hang of it.

I don't mind the new program either except on the resort forum there is talk that if you got a postcard rate that is better to change that ressie you will need to pay a fee. Reason being the postcard rate isn't offered to the general public.

I don't know. If they do away with postcard rates and ap call in rates it will not matter anyway.

goofy4tink - you can use the BRP with just your voucher! I booked an AP discounted room with just my DVC -discounted voucher. You don't need an actual AP to use the BRP.

I did have trouble logging in to the passholders' website with just the voucher until I ran across some very helpful info (on MouseSavers) that told me how to do it. Here's the link if you need it:

Changes to WDW AP Resort Discounts

The info you need is in the last bullet near the bottom of the page.

Best wishes -

I was not upset when they first started this. However, I have recently heard rumors that they will no longer allow last minute AP bookings. That is a new change and if it holds... I will be staying off site on my last minute trips. For example, I am going 9/24 for two nights. Right now I don't have a room, I plan to call DVC today and see what I can get and if not I will try for an AP rate at a mod.

From what I have been told after 10/1 the ONLY way to get AP rates will be 60 days out. In that case if I couldn't get the DVC on a late booking I am offsite. Doesn't make much sense to me, but we will see.

I liked the fact that they make you have either an AP or a voucher. I have read enough on the resort boards to know that some folks book AP rates and only buy the AP if the CM catches them....That just takes rooms away from folks who actually played by the rules and OWN an AP.

Also, I am not one who bought the AP solely for the room discounts so that is no biggie.

CarolA said:
...(snip)....I liked the fact that they make you have either an AP or a voucher. I have read enough on the resort boards to know that some folks book AP rates and only buy the AP if the CM catches them....That just takes rooms away from folks who actually played by the rules and OWN an AP.....
I think many people did this. I also think many people bought a child's AP for this purpose.

It appears that a major benefit to Disney is reduced "unproductive calling volumes". There had to have been thousands of people calling to inquire about AP rates as well as a plethora of multiple bookings that eventually ended up getting cancelled. Kind of hard to know where you stand if a significant percentage of your bookings end up getting cancelled.

CarolA said:
...Also, I am not one who bought the AP solely for the room discounts so that is no biggie.
Me, either. Even before DVC, I only bought an AP if it was the best choice for park admission. Any perks/benefits were just gravy!

Best wishes-

P.S. I look for that 60 days or more in advance to change - with online booking and the non-refundable deposit requirement, there isn't any reason not to allow last minute bookings if there are still discounted rooms available. JMHO. YMMV.

CarolMN said:
It appears that a major benefit to Disney is reduced "unproductive calling volumes". There had to have been thousands of people calling to inquire about AP rates as well as a plethora of multiple bookings that eventually ended up getting cancelled. Kind of hard to know where you stand if a significant percentage of your bookings end up getting cancelled. -

P.S. I look for that 60 days or more in advance to change - with online booking and the non-refundable deposit requirement, there isn't any reason not to allow last minute bookings if there are still discounted rooms available. JMHO. YMMV.

Well if the 60 day requirement doesn't change they will at least have ONE unproductive call.. ME. I figure I will call and when they tell me no they will have to make a note of why they lost that sale. If they get enough of those they may look at changing the 60 day requirement. Especially if they don't sell the room at rack rate.

My Sept trip has to be at a place with high speed internet (I have to do some work while I am there) so I can't do values yet and for a short trip I just don't think rack rate is worth it at CS. (I will be VERY glad when Disney gets high speed everywhere!)

We often drive to WDW. I allow an "extra day" travel time for road conditions, car trouble, whatever...the result is we usually arrive the day before our OKW ressie begins. We usually stop in Ocala and book a value room for that night using AP discount. If last minute AP discounts are no longer available, we will simply stay offsite that first night. Really, that is the only impact on my personal vacationing that this has, since we buy APs because it makes sense for us as far as park entry days.

I for one will be impacted by the new AP booking policy. With my travel schedule, I rarely book a trip more than 1-3 weeks prior to arrival. I often booked my AP room while standing in the resort lobby or at a park payphone. Even when we booked a reunion for 10 people, it was booked 4 weeks before arrival. (most rooms were not at the AP rate)

Buying my small DVC contract was intended to supplement those AP nights.

My options now on non DVC nights will be
- book offsite (ouch, even with my significant off site discounts or free nights, I have started to dislike staying offsite, even if it's just a 5 minute drive)
- rent additional DVC points
- book at AAA rate

I was one of the ones who believed that non 'best rate' AP rates would still exist at times when occupancy was lower than anticipated. I fully support WDW's right to run their business in an efficient manner, and agree that the non-revenue call volume must be staggering (Look at the codes board some time to see people calling daily to check for a discount)

Ultimately, I buy my AP's for reduced admission to the parks. The AP rate discount was a perk which allowed me to stay onsite thereby giving WDW my room revenue. Now that revenue will go offsite on non-DVC nights, unless the AAA rate is a significant reduction.

I'm not overly upset about the change, but am curious to see what the future holds.

Putting aside personal interest, which granted is usually all anyone mostly cares about, I think the BRP makes sense from Disney's perspective. The volume of phone calls to check on, cancel, or modify resort reservations based on the presence or absence of AP discounts must have been enormous, if posters on the resort boards are any indication.

The best rate program, as currently constituted, doesn't really work for me, but I can see benefits for those who are able to plan non-DVC stays far enough ahead, as well as the obvious benefits for Disney.

While I understand why they have implemented it and that many abuse the system, I personally am frustrated by it. See I've always booked where I want to stay as soon as I am ready to commit to the date and resort, often it is 10 months to one year in advance. If a code comes out it is appplied to the current reservation and I am able to take advantage of the perk, however with the new system I will not be able to apply an AP discount since I book too far in advance. Now if they let me book it when I am ready and would apply if a discount became available I'd be fine. 60 days is just too last minute for me!

patsal said:
While I understand why they have implemented it and that many abuse the system, I personally am frustrated by it. See I've always booked where I want to stay as soon as I am ready to commit to the date and resort, often it is 10 months to one year in advance. If a code comes out it is appplied to the current reservation and I am able to take advantage of the perk, however with the new system I will not be able to apply an AP discount since I book too far in advance. Now if they let me book it when I am ready and would apply if a discount became available I'd be fine. 60 days is just too last minute for me!

I am also planning a trip that is just over a year away. How I handled this was I have already booked my rooms with the AAA discount for Dec. 2006. Then at 60 days out if the Best Rate is better, I'll book there. There is no cancellation fee for the AAA discount as far as I know and you can cancel up to 6 days before you arrive.

So this way I ensure I will not pay rack rate.

patsal said:
FWIW, I don't think the AP rates under the BRP are going to come out any earlier than they did previously. Right now, they are not available for stays past mid-February, 2006. I don't remember ever being able to book an AP discount 10 months or more in advance. I'm remembering 3 - 5 months, max.

You can still book rack or AAA early on to make sure you have a room. If an AP rate comes out, you can book that via BRP and cancel the rack reservation or AAA discount at that time. That's essentially what you were doing before anyway.

Best wishes-

We are new AP holders (Thank you DVC) and used it to book the "extra" night we had to stay in Florida after the Members Cruise because we docked at Port Everglades. It was great to pay only $65 at POP, (and we used Magical Express, what a bargain!) and we're trying it again, using the online booking for the first 2 nights of our January stay. We have air tickets, but still the non-refundable deposit was stopping us, but we found that our alternate off site choices were quite a bit more money than they usually cost. Either we are too early booking them, or MLKjr holiday causes prices to rise. Well, we're trying the AP system, I hope it works.

Bobbi :flower:

My biggest concern is that everyone isn't operating on an even basis here. If you have an AP and follow mousesavers and the DIS, you will know when rates are out. If you rely on the Mickey Monitor or email, you could very well be out of luck. We rarely get the monitor and it's been a few rounds of AP rates since I received an email despite WDW confirming my email each time we talk.

And for that matter what about people who don't use the internet. I'm sure the number is dwindling but there must be some AP holders out there who still don't use it or at least not much.

I thought it might prevent abuse when it was first announced but now there are people on the codes board checkingAP rates for those without APs! :confused3

And on a personal note, I'm in the October Black Hole. When the 120 program was announced, I was maybe 105 days out. When they changed the rules to 60 days, sure enough I was then under 60! :rolleyes:

But I haven't given up hope that AP rates won't still be released the old fashioned way. :cool1: And I did get a BR for January. :cool1:

BCV23 said:
My biggest concern is that everyone isn't operating on an even basis here. If you have an AP and follow mousesavers and the DIS, you will know when rates are out. If you rely on the Mickey Monitor or email, you could very well be out of luck. We rarely get the monitor and it's been a few rounds of AP rates since I received an email despite WDW confirming my email each time we talk.
But that was true even before the BRP.

BCV23 said:
And for that matter what about people who don't use the internet. I'm sure the number is dwindling but there must be some AP holders out there who still don't use it or at least not much.
Not sure how that really matters - Disney wants to fill rooms in the least costly manner. And FWIW, I have to believe that the vast majority of people who buy APs also have computers & internet access.

BCV23 said:
I thought it might prevent abuse when it was first announced but now there are people on the codes board checkingAP rates for those without APs!
I don't consider that abuse - to me, it's no different than posting a rate you got on a thread. There's no guarantee that those rates will still be available by the time the person requesting the check buys an AP and goes online to book. They are not able to "Hold" any rooms that way. It doesn't really cost Disney anything for people to check rates online.

BCV23 said:
And on a personal note, I'm in the October Black Hole. When the 120 program was announced, I was maybe 105 days out. When they changed the rules to 60 days, sure enough I was then under 60! :rolleyes:
Sorry you missed out.

BCV23 said:
But I haven't given up hope that AP rates won't still be released the old fashioned way. :cool1: And I did get a BR for January. :cool1:
Glad you got your January date.

Best wishes -

"But that was true even before the BRP."

But then you could always call even last minute and get AP rates. Now you supposedly can't.

"Not sure how that really matters - Disney wants to fill rooms in the least costly manner. And FWIW, I have to believe that the vast majority of people who buy APs also have computers & internet access."

It matters to me because it seems unfair to anyone who doesn't follow sites like this. Of course, WDW wants to fill the rooms as it should. I just think all who actually are AP holders should have an equal chance.

" I don't consider that abuse - to me, it's no different than posting a rate you got on a thread. There's no guarantee that those rates will still be available by the time the person requesting the check buys an AP and goes online to book. They are not able to "Hold" any rooms that way. It doesn't really cost Disney anything for people to check rates online."

It may not cost WDW anything but it can again leave some AP holders out of luck. It seems like abuse to me because it still encourages people to game the system...buy one AP voucher, three rooms, only validate AP voucher when needed etc..

"Sorry you missed out."

Me, too but I haven't given up hope.

"Glad you got your January date."

Thanks, I am too. :sunny: And I do like the basic concept of the program....as long as folks can book the old way as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter