VERY disturbing Ads…Do NOT look if you are squeamish!

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
This came up as I was scrolling through DisBoards today…

109C2AD4-06F3-4CFD-BB7E-5FAC83B7ED0E.jpeg
109C2AD4-06F3-4CFD-BB7E-5FAC83B7ED0E.jpeg

Seriously?? Have you no control over who is “advertising” here? I am an RN and I feel sick looking at this. Do better, DisBoards.

Totally agree, just came to report the same. I also reported the ad to Google. Two weeks ago, my Disboards was repeatedly showing sexually-explicit ad content from some app called Whispers. I tried to block it, tried to report, then gave up and left the site. What is going on?

Uh, I’m not an expert but aren’t ads targeted based on that user’s searches and browsing history? So if someone is seeing disturbing or explicit ads… um…

All I’m saying is not everyone sees the same ads.

I don't think that is how ads work. Unless you have a specific company that you are showing ads for, they just use an algorithm based on your history. Since you are in the medical field, it is not surprising that you got that type of ad. Like dieumeye said, we don't all see the same ads. Get and ad blocker is my recommendation.

Uh, I’m not an expert but aren’t ads targeted based on that user’s searches and browsing history? So if someone is seeing disturbing or explicit ads… um…

I have been thinking the same. I am getting Bailey ads...much easier on the eyes (pun intended lol!)

Screenshot_20220829-045632_Chrome.jpg

I think that's a myth and I assure you I've never searched for that. I've also seen more sexually explicit ads that I've not been searching for either. I think it's random.

I have been thinking the same. I am getting Bailey ads...much easier on the eyes (pun intended lol!)

View attachment 697901

I would NOT be complaining about that!

Totally agree, just came to report the same. I also reported the ad to Google. Two weeks ago, my Disboards was repeatedly showing sexually-explicit ad content from some app called Whispers. I tried to block it, tried to report, then gave up and left the site. What is going on?

I didn't know you could report ads to Google? But I agree...if this keeps coming up, I will definitely be staying away.

LOL, no. I don’t view explicit content, don’t use dating apps, and though I am also a medical professional, I have a work laptop that I use for medical-related content. This has all started in the last 2-3 weeks, and it is ONLY on this website. I have been using this Disboards for years, and I have never seen anything like these ads.

Most of my browsing history is vacation planning, Disney, and shopping for furniture and school uniforms for my kids. :) If that triggers the kind of ads that have been periodically popping up, something is wrong with the algorithm. I’ll get an ad blocker - thanks for the rec.

I get the same eye one Dan and can assure all that I spend zero time willfully looking at grotesque images of any kind, nor do I visit weird websites or watch questionable videos. The funny memes thread is about as risque as I get and looking for candidates for my song threads are the wild side, otherwise I read legit journals and generally nonfiction nerd things.

Dan - thanks for posting that link to the Community Board thread. Good to know we aren’t the only ones! And I’m using Safari on phone or iPad, but will be switching to Chrome and ABP.

I use Safari on everything, iphone, iPad, MacBook. All of them have an ad blocker installed and running. I have no adds anywhere. They work great. Honestly, no one should have to deal with ads any more, unless you just want to support a site with them.

I use Safari on everything, iphone, iPad, MacBook. All of them have an ad blocker installed and running. I have no adds anywhere. They work great. Honestly, no one should have to deal with ads any more, unless you just want to support a site with them.
Keep in mind that there is no effective ad blocker for Android. There is an Ad Blocker Plus browser, if a person wants to use that browser.

I think that's a myth and I assure you I've never searched for that. I've also seen more sexually explicit ads that I've not been searching for either. I think it's random.
<snip>
I didn't know you could report ads to Google? But I agree...if this keeps coming up, I will definitely be staying away.
Google Ads are definitely loosely based on your search history. However the algorithm is useful only so far as the ad is properly and accurately categorized. So the ad you saw could‘ve been defined as “medical” in nature, and therefore would‘ve likely gotten into your rotation.

I get ads for ‘Whispers’ and similar apps all the time. Apparently, those are somehow being lumped in as “strategy”, “puzzle” and “adventure” type apps. I generally have only had them pop up within other apps/games that I play — like Angry Birds or ` or whatnot when I choose to watch an ad for a reward.

Honestly, I’ve seen the ad above on here, but since I just scroll right by the ads, they could be for ‘anatomy’-enlargers, and I would barely notice.

I’ve thought the one above was weird though… my first thought was who is falling for this click-bait? And who at ‘xyz ads’ thought that they’d reel anyone in with a lamprey mouth photoshopped onto a face?

I, myself, find the Whisper-esque app ads much more disturbing. I am constantly reporting those. :sad2:

@buzzrelly you can report the ads (and refine what you’ll see) by clicking on the little arrow with an ‘i’ in it. It’s typically in the top right corner of the ad. If you are signed in to Google, then your ad-content can be refined somewhat. But like I said, it’s not perfect. The ads are painted with a broad brush, as it were, so if an ad is supposedly something to cure an ailment (even a photoshopped ailment) it can get thru if your ad “profile” skews to medical interests, for example.

eta: right now, there is displayed to me on this page an ad for some sort of “marketing festival”, which appears to be a marketing/advertising trade show in (I think it said) Huntington Beach. Now, I have no interest whatsoever in marketing; however, I did a quick Google search earlier with the terms “how to see better targeted ads”. Boom! Now Google thinks I am generally interested in marketing. It will take quite a few new searches before that falls off my ad targeting profile... realistically, that could be several weeks from now.

Something else to also be aware of… there are some message boards out there that are powered by Google, or that use an imbedded search function that is powered by Google. Additionally, some employers and particularly schools (all grade levels & thru college) use a Google-powered email service. The email address may reflect the institution and not be a Gmail address.

All of the above gives Google even more ways to target your ads, including by parsing the content of posts or emails. So it’s not just going to Google and doing a search. If you use a Google powered email service to send an email about seeing rubber duckies, you will start seeing ads for ducks, squeak toys, rubber items, and other variations on the theme.

Please note: I do want to clarify that I have no idea how DisBoards interfaces with Google as far as the forum or search function is concerned. My comment was just meant to call attention to the ways, besides regular keyword-type searches, Google can get targeting data.

So far as I can tell, these forums are NOT powered by Google. If I am wrong about that, hopefully an admin will correct me.

Last edited:
Can you please share what ad blocker you use for your ipad/iPhone? I’d love to know.
Thanks

Keep in mind that there is no effective ad blocker for Android. There is an Ad Blocker Plus browser, if a person wants to use that browser.
I’d have no reason to keep that in mind.
Sounds like another reason to move away from Android

Can you please share what ad blocker you use for your ipad/iPhone? I’d love to know.
Thanks
AdBlock and Malwarebytes both.
Malwarebytes is part of my security/antivirus software and I enabled it just because it's part of that package
AdBlock I have specifically to block ads
Honestly, not sure which does more blocking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter