• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Very depressing trip.....

Hi, I also want to apologize for all the rude and ignorant behavior you received on your trip. My dad always says that you can't tell a stupid person their stupid, and that's exactly what these people are, stupid. I will admit that I once caught myself getting a little upset because the bus I was taking for work one morning was running late and had to stop to let a handicapped person on. I wasn't mad because of the wheelchair, just that it must have been a new driver and he wasn't sure how to lower the bus or the lift and it took him forever meanwhile I was late for work. While I was sitting there getting more and more agitated, I realized that the person in the wheelchair probably had to deal with so many inconviences in his life with inaccessabiltiy to places, ignorant people that would never be kind enough to step out of the way and let the wheelchair pass first, and the most obvious reasons of having to be in a wheelchair. I realized that I was being a royal jerk, even though I wasn't huffing or puffing or making comments out loud, I was still huffing and puffing inside, and right there I just stopped myself and gave myself a mental slap. I was being an idiot. I always try to be kind, and I will treat everyone with respect, just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't mean that you are a less of a person and should be treated as such. People who caused problems or stared are probably just unhappy with their lives and are miserable inside. I am usually too involved with my happiness and family when I am at WDW to even notice people in wheelchairs therefore I treat everyone the same. I don't get all upset when they get to move ahead of the line or if I even have to wait longer for the bus to be moving. My advice is next time put the blinders on to these people. Kill them with kindness, it will make them feel so small and petty which is exactly what they are. I sincerely hope your next trip is wonderful!!

When I went to DL I was travling with a middle age (50s) lady with a cane and a bad hip. She wanted to walk (and was very annoyed when we kept asking if she was ok). I was very annoyed about the rude comments I heard. especally the lady who asked her husband why "If the stupid B cant walk faster why dont her kids get her a wheel chair?" I was proud of me, I kept my mouth shut. People got really mad that she also had a GAC so she could sit wehn she had to wait in long lines. She cant stand for long times. Some people can be such jerks. I actully had people getting mad at me (i have very bad anxity issues) when I would decide to step out of line last mintue.

In defense of the CMs at Soarin', I know at Soarin' Over California (at DCA) they usually just put the wheelchair right between the vehicles (may not be the best word, but can't come up with a better one) so they are right there when they come back, if for some reason they have to be put somewhere else it is unusual, and if they change CMs, the next CM may know nothing about it. If it is too much of an issue just stand there by her and tell the CM that you need her wheelchair.
We have ridden Soarin' in Florida quite a few times and the CM has never brought DD's wheelchair out for her.
As cmwade put it, the wheelchairs and ECVs are parked between the ride vehicles. We have always just gone over and gotten it ourselves after the ride was completed. That's what most people do because the wheelchairs and ECVs are visible.

We have noticed that the CM that took the chair away is not the CM who is around when we get off. I think that's the reason the CMs don't return the chairs - they don't know who they belong to.
If there is no one in your party who can go over and get it, just stand there and tell the CM you need her wheelchair, as cmwade suggested.

Hey anytime someone in front of me wants to get out of line I have no problems with it, that's just one less person between me and the ride :)

We have ridden Soarin' in Florida quite a few times and the CM has never brought DD's wheelchair out for her.
As cmwade put it, the wheelchairs and ECVs are parked between the ride vehicles. We have always just gone over and gotten it ourselves after the ride was completed. That's what most people do because the wheelchairs and ECVs are visible.

We have noticed that the CM that took the chair away is not the CM who is around when we get off. I think that's the reason the CMs don't return the chairs - they don't know who they belong to.
If there is no one in your party who can go over and get it, just stand there and tell the CM you need her wheelchair, as cmwade suggested.

Hmmm. They always return DH's wheelchair. He transfers onto the ride and a cm takes it away. Then, when the ride is over a cm brings it back. I don't recall ever having to go get it. :confused3

Thank you to everyone who has responded, it means so much to me, especially right now....

Cupcake, you pinned it, rationally my DH tells me I should ignore it, but I just couldn't..... why now? why did this not bother me the prior five-ten years? A whole lot of reasons I guess.... But I'll get through this, maybe, I hope before my next trip :goodvibes

:surfweb: I have been reading this thread from the begining, about your recent trip. I wanted to make a comment but held back as I read along, but I am going to go ahead and write one. ;) I have often said that Disney has an enormous oppurtunity to lead by example with the disabled. What I mean by that is when visitors see the disabled being treated kindly and respectfully by castmembers, it is likely the visitors will follow this behavior. :confused3 This is only my oppinion but I think we can see this in other aspects of our lives as well, schools, shopping malls, parks..... when the people at the top display compassion and respect, it filters down through the employees to the costomers. If disrespect or even mediocre treatment of the disabled is tolerated by the people at the top, it will soon take over, filter through the employees and will be the majority of what is seen. :sad2: If the standards are held high for the employees, it often ques the customers to also behave accordingly. I have said to my family while at disney when people or cast members are rude, that disney should have a few more statements in the guide books, around the parks, on the buses, and in the attractions reminding people to be kind and courteous to the disabled and elderly. These visible reminders should be followed by the cast members being held to very high standards as to how they behave. The rude man on the bus with the coffee, should have been ridiculed for his actions by anyone who saw him do this to you. Again, these are only my ideas and opinions, I am not suggesting that wdw does this and I certainly dont know the legalities of what a park can write or print on their guide books or in their parks. The reason I am saying this is that I have posted on other threads about IDEAS:) and was given replys explaining the legal reasons why these ideas of mine could not actully be used. I just want to clarify that I am mearly posting well meaning ideas. :confused3 Which is why I enjoy discussion boards, they are real people discussing ideas, sharing experiences, and learning from each other. I truly enjoy that ;). So please, I am asking respectfully not to quote me and then give me legal reasons why my ideas can't be brought to reality. I do not have a legal backround in ADA, I do have a beautiful daughter who each day reminds me of how blessed I am to have her, and how she deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. I wish the entire world saw it that way for all the disabled who ever experience an unkind word, jesture or look.
Lisa, mom to Bethie, the love of our life:love:

I just read your post and I want to cry.

I wanted to cry too. I could just feel the pain as I read this post. How awful that other people made you feel that way. My Dd is diabetic.. and while not at all the same as you.. I know how she feels when someone makes a comment or stares. Its just pathetic how so many people treat others regardless of there abilities or lack of them. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad trip because of ignorance and intolerance. I'm sure that everyone who reads this post will go out of their way to make sure others have better experiences in the furture.

These visible reminders should be followed by the cast members being held to very high standards as to how they behave. The rude man on the bus with the coffee, should have been ridiculed for his actions by anyone who saw him do this to you.

I agree with you! Can you imagine nobody on the bus said a word? Other than him complaining to his companion who was seated that had to take one of the coffee's :confused3 What a jerk.... If it ever happens again, at least I now know you aren't supposed to have food on the bus and I will summon the driver!

I also agree that good behavior filters down, it's human nature I think....

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience.

But remember one thing - The opinions of mean, awful people do not count!

Really that was one of the best lessons that my mother taught me - that I did not have to pay attention to the opinions of everybody. I know it is not always the easiest thing to do at the time.

I am coming late to this thread, but wanted to encourage you that I wholeheartedly agree wtih arminnie! Please rest in the assurance that there are many of us out there who do not have this rude attitude and selfishness. DD asked on our last trip why Spaceship Earth kept stopping as she was afraid it was getting broken. I explained that I had just learned on these boards that that is usally when they are having someone who needs assistance get on the ride. DD's response at 9 yo was "Wow, Mom. That is really cool. I am so glad they have a way to make sure people in a wheelchair or who walk slow can ride this too. I would hate for them to miss it!" This is her favorite ride and she just couldn't imagine anyone not being able to enjoy it. Maybe I am naive, but I hope that you are able to concentrate on the nice people and not worry about the jerks as they aren't worth the energy!

DD's response at 9 yo was "Wow, Mom. That is really cool. I am so glad they have a way to make sure people in a wheelchair or who walk slow can ride this too. I would hate for them to miss it!" This is her favorite ride and she just couldn't imagine anyone not being able to enjoy it. Maybe I am naive, but I hope that you are able to concentrate on the nice people and not worry about the jerks as they aren't worth the energy!
:thumbsup2

I have friends who have been wheelchair users for their entire lives because of cerebral palsy and spina bifida. When I was a child, I'd always help them in any way I could, by asking them first, with what they needed help with. One of my friends that I actually grew up with (as our families went to the same church), who has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair, always liked doing fun things with me. One time when we were done with Sunday School and were waiting for our moms to come get us, she and I would race each other from one end of the hallway, to the other. I'd always let her win, though.

I never thought of people with disabilities as being "different" because of the way they are. I always thought that they were neat, interesting people. My best friend who has cerebral palsy, and uses a wheelchair, taught me what it was like to be a true friend, because she is a very sociable person. I was always quiet, shy, and withdrawn, because when I was growing up, it was hard for me to make friends. Especially when I had to miss a lot of school, because of being in the hospital for a surgery, or traveling to California for doctor appointments at the craniofacial clinic in San Francisco.

Being "different" myself, with being born with a craniofacial syndrome, I faced all of the stares and rude comments my whole life, to which my mom would always stick up for me (if she ever heard someone making a rude comment) when I was a child, by saying something like, "How would you feel if you had to be in my shoes, and deal with a child that had to have so many surgeries, because her face, hands, or feet weren't normal." Boy, that made them shut their mouths pretty quick.

Now being a wheelchair user myself, I've noticed that some people tend to think that my "visible disability" on the outside, is the reason why I use a wheelchair, when it's really my "invisible disability" on the inside that is the reason why I use it.

Samantha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter