• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Very depressing trip.....

I was of course upset, but what could I do? Now as for the CMs, it was in a souvenir mug, so they may have thought that it was empty. Luckily the chocolate was only mildly warm at most, but really what do people think?

They don't think, that's the problem ;)

You mentioned before people jumping in front of you. That reminds me of the time I was at DL and I was in Frontierland in my scooter when a fellow pulled his girls in front of me and said something like, "Watch out for the crazy lady." There is no way I would hit anyone. I used to ride motorcycles as well as road bicycles- in traffic. :moped: It's not like I don't know how to judge distance & speed. I have only used the scooter that one time, but will have to from now on, and I'm not looking forward to it.

Yeah, well luckily I am able to walk with no problems, but I know plenty of people in wheelchairs that people walk right in front of (and it is not their imagination either, I have been pushing them at times and have found this) but I have also been the victim of wheel chairs when there was nothing I could do, such as a major crowd, well what can you do?

Awww man... sorry to hear about your experiences. I have a hard time understanding that nasty attitude. Apparently some folks feel people with disabilities should just not interact with the world. Phooey to them. HOld your head high and DEMAND respect. You deserve it!

I love some of these shirts, and I thought of them when i read your experiences.... some people just dont get it...

http://nopityshirts.com/

Those are great.

Sorry about your trip-- I'd have "bumped" the guy with the coffee and hope he spilled on himself!

BTW, I have tried to "sneak" coffee on a Disney bus many times and have never been able to do it, I thought they really enforced that no eating or drinking policy.

Sue, you showed more restraint than I think I could have mustered. :sad2:
If they had not been so far below me, I probably would not have.
The only reason I did restrain myself was that I did not want to disturb DD and have her and her dad not enjoy the show. Although, I did think of trying to poke DD with something and hope she would think the lady did it. :rolleyes1

They were kind of trouble from the beggining. There was a single file line of people following the CM in to the seating area. We were the group right behind the CM and were about 4 feet behind him. The guy on the ECV and his wife and 2 children were right behind us. The wife kept trying to pass me and the husband kept hitting me in the back of the foot with the ECV. I did stop and glare at him and then he told the wife not to pass us and he stayed about 3 feet behind me after that. So maybe her putting her feet on DD's wheelchair was 'pay back' :sad2:

Awww man... sorry to hear about your experiences. I have a hard time understanding that nasty attitude. Apparently some folks feel people with disabilities should just not interact with the world. Phooey to them. HOld your head high and DEMAND respect. You deserve it!

Thank you so much Ragetti, I just need to be more self confident, as I once was...

Speaking of my not being able to keep up (in other posts), we were at park opening every day we went to a park, I sent my 12 year old running ahead of me through the crowd to go get fastpasses for whatever ride we were aiming for.... (don't worry, he didn't bash into people) I knew I could in no way keep up with the crowd in general... so he'd get the fastpasses, get in line, and by the time I finally arrived he'd be halfway to the first ride LOL.... I let my 9 year old go with him on a few occasions.... believe me, I'd much rather be able to move with them than have to go my speed!!

Those are great.

Sorry about your trip-- I'd have "bumped" the guy with the coffee and hope he spilled on himself!

BTW, I have tried to "sneak" coffee on a Disney bus many times and have never been able to do it, I thought they really enforced that no eating or drinking policy.

Well, you know the thought never occurred to me he shouldn't have the coffee on the bus (I guess I never thought about it).... but there was no way this coffee wasn't going to hit me if it spilled... he was just a jerk....

About those Nopity shirts? I think I'm buying one for each day of my next trip... As somebody said, I'm not going to let those people get me down.... I have a life and deserve to live it! See, things are looking up :)

Chris, so sorry about your trip! That guy needs his own shirt " I'm a JERK, pay no attention to me."!

That guy needs his own shirt " I'm a JERK, pay no attention to me."!

I think I will get a couple of those shirts and hand them out to the prize winners next time, that would make me very happy :banana:

Chris, I'm glad to see everyone is making you feel better. I think I'll get that "It's a miracle" shirt for my MIL. I had never been in the parks with a wheelchair until my first trip with her in September '06. I couldn't believe how rude some people were. She has had both knees replaced, and most of her spine surgically fused due to scoliosis. So she can walk, but only for short distances. My personal favorites were the jerk in line at Jungle Cruise mouthing off loudly about how if she could stand she shouldn't be in a wheelchair, and the CM at Soarin' who couldn't be bothered to find her wheelchair at the end of the ride.

I couldn't believe how agressive I got in my defense of her either. There's a side of me no one wants to see. Lord help the idiots if they show up again this October.

In defense of the CMs at Soarin', I know at Soarin' Over California (at DCA) they usually just put the wheelchair right between the vehicles (may not be the best word, but can't come up with a better one) so they are right there when they come back, if for some reason they have to be put somewhere else it is unusual, and if they change CMs, the next CM may know nothing about it. If it is too much of an issue just stand there by her and tell the CM that you need her wheelchair.

As for the guy at the Jungle Cruise, I would have simply said "You take the pain for 1 day and then say that!" I also might have asked the skipper if there was a way to make sure I was in a different boat than that guy.

Personally I would gladly wait in the regular ques over living with the pain day in and day out.

Please don't let that a#&*^$*& get you down. Or any of the other ignorants you may have come across. At least you don't have to go home with them - imagine how miserable they must make their families.

I'm sorry you had negative experiences. You aren't alone. Last Summer we were at Magic Kingdom waiting in line for a bus. There were two Pop Century Lines and when we pulled up each line already had two wheelchairs waiting. Well, we picked a line and the first bus picked up the two wheelchairs in front of us, then the two in the other line were picked up by the next bus. Later, a couple of charter busses came (no wheelchair lifts) and nearly cleared out both lines. We had to wait for a Disney bus. The next Disney bus pulled up to the other line where no wheelchairs were waiting, so I walked over and asked the driver if he would put DH on that bus. People in that line actually SHOUTED rude and hateful comments at me. One lady looked right at me and said "You've gotta be f-ing kidding me!" :sad2: What's wrong with people?

I couldn't believe how agressive I got in my defense of her either. There's a side of me no one wants to see. Lord help the idiots if they show up again this October.

Good for you! :goodvibes

I think I will get a couple of those shirts and hand them out to the prize winners next time, that would make me very happy :banana:

I will happily pay for them! :thumbsup2

I am so sorry your trip was less than magical and that the actions of others made you feel so awful. As others have said, there are more good people in the world than not.

My brother was born with spina bifida and not expected to live beyond age 10. Of course this was in the 60's when few with spina bifida survived beyond infancy. It was also a time when people with any sort of disability (noticeable or not) weren't seen much in public, because it was 'best for everybody if they didn't," or so we were told. Nonetheless, my parents raised my brother to be proud of who is and my siblings and I to make sure we looked out for him. He used to be able to walk with braces (the big ugly leather and steel kind) and crutches, which used to bring more stares and comments than you can imagine, but we were determined that he would have as much opportunity to do things as was reasonably possible given his limitations and he didn't (ever) hide in the house.

He has been confined to a wheelchair since his early teens and although things/situations/people can be difficult for him, today, at 46, it is a far better world than when he was younger. As more and more people, with and without disabilities believe, and rightfully so, that the disabled are entitled to the same things that those with non disabilities are, and insist on having those same rights and freedoms, then things will continue to improve and accessibility options become more common place.

As for the jerk with the coffee, unfortunately, I can not write what my thoughts are around him because this is a family board :rolleyes1 , but having intervened more than once on my brothers behalf when someone thought he was slowing them down, if it's within earshot of my brother, I just smile and as graciously as possible look the offender in the eye and let them know how much I appreciate their patience because sometimes people need a little assistance. If somebody is really getting out of hand or if it's out of earshot, I typically remind that person how fortunate they are that they and their family got up healthy that day and IF they or a family member had a disability then they would understand how much courage and strength it can take just to do the everyday little things that healthy people take for granted each day. Life is tough enough without a disability, and I ask them if they can ever imagine what it must be like with one. I never yell, I never lose my cool, but I most certainly convey my point, hold my ground and will defend my brothers (or anyone else's) right to take an extra two minutes to get on a bus, a ride, or whatever.

People who engage in passive aggressive or sometimes just plain aggressive behavior toward the disabled ought to be forced to spend "a day in the life. "
I'm sure it would change not only their perspective but their willingness to assist others as well.

Don't let the jerks in this world get you down. Keep doing what you do and don't let anyone rain on your parade. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience.

It's funny, I don't think I ever realized that the ride stops were about W/C boarding. I always just thought it was a part of the ride. HM: ghosts taking control; Buzz: Zorg attacking, etc. This oblivion despite traveling with my DW who needs a W/C to make it through disney--she has a genetic skin disorder that she can manage fine in daily life but flares badly after the amount of walking needed when using a w/c and transfering at disney.

(I'm laughing at myself for not even thinking of w/c boarding as an issue.) Granted, during our last trip we did grumble a bit when stuck in the middle of POTC for over 30 minutes while the power went in and out. Again--it never occurred to me to blame a guest for the problem.

We'll have my FIL with us on our next trip--DW inherited the disorder from him--and he is leery of using a w/c because he doesn't want people to pass judgement. I think he ought to use an ECV since he'll have more autonomy that way and I know he won't survive if he tries to walk. My DW walked once for about half a day on our first trip and ended up so badly off that she skipped attractions to avoid transfering for the rest of the trip.

Chris, thanks for sharing your bad experience. Please know that you are not alone in wishing you had another option and that many of us out there want you to have a magical time. I hope you find your way back to ignoring the inconsiderate fools.

I'm sorry you had negative experiences. You aren't alone. Last Summer we were at Magic Kingdom waiting in line for a bus. There were two Pop Century Lines and when we pulled up each line already had two wheelchairs waiting. Well, we picked a line and the first bus picked up the two wheelchairs in front of us, then the two in the other line were picked up by the next bus. Later, a couple of charter busses came (no wheelchair lifts) and nearly cleared out both lines. We had to wait for a Disney bus. The next Disney bus pulled up to the other line where no wheelchairs were waiting, so I walked over and asked the driver if he would put DH on that bus. People in that line actually SHOUTED rude and hateful comments at me. One lady looked right at me and said "You've gotta be f-ing kidding me!" :sad2: What's wrong with people?

OMG :eek: :confused3 I'm so sorry you had to endure that, it's almost unthinkable how some people can be :confused3 I just don't get it, I guess I'm too friendly or something :confused3

I just want everyone to know that I'm taking every word written here to heart, and reading other stories is very helpful for me to put things in better perspective, and to remember not to let those people have control over me.... I'll come here before our next trip so I can get a pre-trip pep talk, so that when I return, It will be all good things to report :)

I am so sorry.

I know people at the end of the night are sometimes CRANKY!
I thnak god everyday we are healthy.
Husband has MS but he is doing great:cool1:

Anyway, I keep reading everyone refuring to a HM insident. I did not read the original post but here is a very nice story that happened last time we were there.

We were waiting on the HM line and the ride stopped a little girl 6ish was a little upest and turned to her dad and asked why? He turned to her and said someone who was sick and could not walk needed the ride to stop to get them on/off. She smiled and said that was very nice that they were alowd to ride also. My DH & I wanted to just hug her.
So not all people are rude and her dad was just the nicest guy we kept bumping into them our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter