Vent re: Dumbo and adult only riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is a kid at Disney!!
Amen. Chief Smoky Miller (a Streetmosphere character in MK) once asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I replied: "I hope never to have to do that." His response: "Good for you!"

I was pushing 40 at the time. ;)

[QUOTE ????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

Your quote of my original quote won't paste here, so I'll repeat it.

I said:
I don't care if everyone in the whole park rides Dumbo! What bothers me is the attitude of, "Why should I, an adult, have to miss out on ANYTHING at all just for a small kid?!" Well, because that's what adults do.

Yes, I believe it is the role of adults to sacrifice some of their desires for children. Yes, the above attitude bothers me (it was very nearly a direct quote from a post here), and yes, I do see it A LOT. I am a teacher and unlike a later poster who mentioned being able to spot the "indulged" children in her classes quickly, I see mostly kids whose parents are much to busy with their own "stuff" to be bothered with their children's needs.

To give a non-Disney example, in the hopes of not pointing to something that many posters here do, like my neighbor who left her two elementary aged children home alone in the middle of an ice storm because SHE really, really needed to "get out" and drink with her friends.

Her children stayed at my house, and I worried all night long that I would have to tell those boys that their mother was injured or dead. I'm sure SHE just had a fabulous time!

Your quote of my original quote won't paste here, so I'll repeat it.

I said:
I don't care if everyone in the whole park rides Dumbo! What bothers me is the attitude of, "Why should I, an adult, have to miss out on ANYTHING at all just for a small kid?!" Well, because that's what adults do.

Yes, I believe it is the role of adults to sacrifice some of their desires for children. Yes, the above attitude bothers me (it was very nearly a direct quote from a post here), and yes, I do see it A LOT. I am a teacher and unlike a later poster who mentioned being able to spot the "indulged" children in her classes quickly, I see mostly kids whose parents are much to busy with their own "stuff" to be bothered with their children's needs.

To give a non-Disney example, in the hopes of not pointing to something that many posters here do, like my neighbor who left her two elementary aged children home alone in the middle of an ice storm because SHE really, really needed to "get out" and drink with her friends.

Her children stayed at my house, and I worried all night long that I would have to tell those boys that their mother was injured or dead. I'm sure SHE just had a fabulous time!

All these examples are of PARENTS of said children not taking care of their own children. Are you saying that just because 2 people choose to have babies and bring them to WDW, that I must sacrifice for them????? Are you telling me that because some parents are bad parents, who refuse to take care of their OWN children, that I must take care of them for them? Seriously?

Are you kidding? Give up Dumbo? NEVER!!!

That has been our "family tradition" starting ride and will always be. I'm a big kid,going on with my 10 year old son who loves it also! Everyone is a kid once you enter Disney!

:wizard:

I know its like unamerican to not ride dumbo or even the tea cups:rotfl:

I also believe that Disney World is first and foremost for children. Most of you who have replied to my post believe it is just as much for adults as children. Fine to disagree.

I thank whatever higher power there is that Walt Disney didn't feel the same way as you. We would never have had DL and WDW in the first place if that was his attitude on the matter.

He wanted a park where EVERYONE could go and enjoy themselves not just the kids.

Why did he want this? Because he was sick of sitting on the sidelines watching the kids have all the fun, he wanted to participate too.

I (and most on this thread) embrace Walt's dream to the fullest, you obviously don't.

It's not that grownups should NOT be "allowed" to ride...it's just like...come on, the lines are long, give the little kids a chance.

The way I see it is if your child cant wait in line then the are too youg to go to disney. They dont make short lines for adults we wait just as long. If the dumbo ride was just for kids then how come me ( pooh size ) fit? :snooty:

Wow, THANK YOU!! I didn't think I'd get anyone brave enough to agree with me in writing! You hit it on the head -- no one should be BANNED. I just think people could do what I did -- look around at all the children waiting, see how sloooooowwww the line is moving, and use their common courtesy to give it up for the small ones, and hightail it to Splash or Space or something. Adults get everything there -- why not reserve the very few things that are very difficult to get for the young children (for example, riding Dumbo in less than 45 min wait, a meal at Chef Mickey's to meet Mickey himself). Winnie and Peter Pan, okay. But the wait in Dumbo is ridiculous and the character meals -- come ON. The food is not good so you wouldn't go for that.

Have you ever used a fastpass?

I'm not talking about banning adults from the parks. No way. I'm just asking people to hang back on Dumbo since it is a slow loading ride and most kids are very excited to ride it -- more so than any other ride. If anyone is that passionate about it of course they can ride it. I'm not suggesting any rule be made against adults riding it. I liken it to giving up a seat for an elderly person or pregnant woman. Or holding open the door for anyone. There are plenty of other rides. Dumbo is just a midway ride - nothing special really except kids love the fact that it is dumbo. Any carnival has this ride -- usually they are airplanes.

what kind of example are you setting for your daughter If she doesnt have to wait her turn?

Let's be honest. I am pretty sure it's not the daughter who is complaining about the wait time. I think the OP is the one bothered by having to wait in these lines because she doesn't really want to be there!

I haven't read through all the posts but what would be considered an adult? My 11 year old and 13 year old are considered adult by Disney?

Wow, THANK YOU!! I didn't think I'd get anyone brave enough to agree with me in writing! You hit it on the head -- no one should be BANNED. I just think people could do what I did -- look around at all the children waiting, see how sloooooowwww the line is moving, and use their common courtesy to give it up for the small ones, and hightail it to Splash or Space or something. Adults get everything there -- why not reserve the very few things that are very difficult to get for the young children (for example, riding Dumbo in less than 45 min wait, a meal at Chef Mickey's to meet Mickey himself). Winnie and Peter Pan, okay. But the wait in Dumbo is ridiculous and the character meals -- come ON. The food is not good so you wouldn't go for that.

I am not sure about this but I think these boards and others are open to anyone. That means that the parents of these little ones could find tips on making reservations and then be able to make a reservation for Chef Mickeys. Why should I be punished because a parent does not know enough to make a reservation and then cannot get a seat at a character meal. It is not my fault that we do the research and make our reservations in time to get a table. I, as everyone else, pay a good deal of money to enjoy my vacation and if I can wait in line so can you and your kids. On rides like Pooh and POTC and Small World the wife and I (6'2, 285 lbs) will often have families with kids sit in front of us so I do not block their view, and you know what I very rarely get a thank you. I do not do it for a thank you but still it would be nice. So why then should I not ride something or let a family with kids in front of us in line becasue they chose to get to the park after me? Not to mention I do not like traditional roller coasters or Splash Mountain so Dumbo is about as adventerous as I get

This thread has run it's course, so we're going to close it now.

Please remember to treat all posters with courtesy and respect, even when you disagree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter