Vent re: Dumbo and adult only riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted one a few pages back. DH was not wearing mouse ears in the picture...but he was wearing Eeyore Ears! :lmao:

GASP!!! (I can't find the gasp smiley). He wore ears? EARS are for kids only. How dare he buy ears when they may actually run out before the kids get them!!!

:rotfl2: :goodvibes

GASP!!! (I can't find the gasp smiley). He wore ears? EARS are for kids only. How dare he buy ears when they may actually run out before the kids get them!!!

:rotfl2: :goodvibes

Here's the picture again so you don't have to search:

MarkonDumbo.jpg

Trust me.... after we return from our Oct trip you can all plan to see each and every member of my family that wants to ride Dumbo posted in the "Show us your Dumbo ride" thread lol.;)

:thumbsup2 Just make sure there's a child in each elephant with you.:rotfl2:

I think you should take a moment and read the entire thread to get the context of what was being said in my response to the OP. .

I did read the entire thread and I got sick of the "you don't get the Disney magic" judgment going on in it. Not just from you, you were just the point I said "arrrggggghhhh!"

I think everyone should enjoy Disney they way they want to and not judge others. The OP should understand that some adults feel the magic at Disney - want to ride Dumbo and want to see princesses and want to have their hair done at BBB - and unless Disney says "sorry, kids only" (which I hope they never do) they are entitled to all the joy that brings them. And those attacking her should understand that some people have no desire for that experience for themselves - they want their kids to feel the magic. Neither is wrong. She does Get It - just not the way you Get It. And that is OK. Or maybe she doesn't Get It at all - and you know what - that's OK too.

Attack her arguments - that's fine. Disney is not just for kids and these activities bring plenty of grown ups joy - grown ups are no less entitled to that joy than the children. Don't attack her intelligence or question her emotional capacity because her reactions are different from yours.

how about show us your adult-only Dumbo ride pics?? :) Or adult-only character meals pics? Heaven forbid we see an adult wearing mouse ears!!! :scared1:

don't go there!!

You mean like these visitors?

IMG_2261.jpg

Shame on them! ;) :lmao:

Wow, THANK YOU!! I didn't think I'd get anyone brave enough to agree with me in writing!

I don't think it's a matter of "brave enough"; I think that most people just plain DON'T agree.

WDW is great for adults, but without the children wanting to go back year after year, it couldn't exist. It really is first and foremost for children.

I went once with kids last year, three times without.

We were there at rope drop, believe me. It still took 4 cycles to get on the ride and I saw plenty of single riders. Big ones.

So that took all of what, 12 minutes?

I understand where you are coming from, and kudos to you for your decision to forego it so the kiddies could ride, pats on the back to you and all that; I choose not to ride Dumbo for the selfish reason that I don't think it would be fun for me; but I sure disagree that the adults that want to ride should stay off so the kids can get on faster. The same could be said for many, many rides throughout WDW. And as for the character meals, I am eating at CP on a MNSSHP night with no kids. Looking forward to the food, and snapping a few goofy pics of my adult sisters with Pooh and Piglet. Leave the character meals for the kids? Not me. Let their moms or dads get on the ball and do a little planning, and they will get in. Sorry.

micmacmissy said:
Isn't this supposed to be a forum where people can freely talk about all things Disney? Apparently not.
It absolutely IS such a place - for everyone, not just the original poster with the unpopular opnion. So, we're all freely talking about something Disney.

KatMark said:
I've been searching for the last two hours and finally found it: a picture of my DH riding Dumbo last year (and look...about two Dumbos behind him are an elder couple (well, older than my DH who is no spring chicken) riding Dumbo.
If you look really, really closely, the Dumbo two behind them (blue hat) also appears to hold an adult couple. That's - horrors! - potentially THREE parties with small children who could not ride during that cycle!

If you look really, really closely, the Dumbo two behind them (blue hat) also appears to hold an adult couple. That's - horrors! - potentially THREE parties with small children who could not ride during that cycle!

Actually, that is FOUR behind my DH. He is in the orange hat; then there is a couple two behind him and then two more behind them. Heaven forbid. What is this world coming to???????? :confused3

i plan on acting like a kid in October when i go again. my dad and i planned this trip as a surprise for my mom, and my siblings are equally excited. we are eating at Park Fare for me, and i plan on doing tons of character greets. i WILL be acting like the child that i am this trip. and i'm almost 20.

did anyone else notice that the OP disappeared and never came back?

too much logic. guess it didn't sit well.

hear hear for all the "big" kids!!! anyone want to ride Dumbo with me this October??

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I know I already posted once but I read through to about page 20 today…

People want to ride Dumbo (even though it's a midway ride) because it is an iconic piece of Americana. When we were all kids, we saw ads for WDW that showed pics of people riding the flying Elephant, and it is very nostalgic for many people. Many adults who never get to go as kids just want to ride it once, just to relive that dream. I've seen seriously tough looking grown men get teary eyed when they see Dumbo because it just takes them back to a simpler time in life. That is what nostalgia does. And Dumbo is nostalgia.

No child has EVER been turned away from Dumbo (or any other ride at WDW) because the line was too long. Ever stay in the park till close? If you are in line, for anything, they aren't going to send you away so I don't see what a few extra people in line really matters.

If you are concerned about the 100 degree heat that badly, it shouldn't matter how long your wait is. Get your kids inside where they will be cool and safe until the heat cools down a bit, or go back at a less busy time. Or travel at a cooler time of year.

I don't have kids, but I certainly would not stand out in 100 degree heat with a small child anywhere. I'd hit indoor things until it cooled down a bit, not just because of frustration, but for the child's safety.

And please, just a PSA for everyone, PLEASE remember how sensitive babies are to heat. I saw a woman one day at EPCOT with an infant, not wearing a hat, and it was like, 90 and sunny and the baby was getting very red. :sad2: I was horrified. It is common sense, even to a non parent such as me, that you keep children, esp. babies, safe from dangerously high heat. Why anyone would stand in ANY line with a child when it was 100 out puzzles me greatly… Those are the days to stick to the dark rides and go to the outdoor lines when the sun starts to go down.

As for the adult who wanted to go to the BBB solo, who cares? She made an appointment and went. Maybe it was a lifelong dream of hers to have her hair done up like Cinderella? If you want your kids to have an appointment to have their hair/makeup done there, make one and take them. I don't know if I'd ever go to the BBB unless it was for Halloween (another valid reason) but some women really enjoy the princess thing, so why not let them? :confused3

As for the character meals, I don't see the appeal but that's because I like my signature restaurants and places where I can relax in a quiet atmosphere and eat exotic food and drink wine and unwind. Places like Chef Mickeys = not relaxing for me.

But MANY adults like buffet style/homestyle food, and getting pictures with characters and feel like at least one character meal is required for WDW dining. Whatever floats their boat, I say. My mom is like that. She is always appalled when she hears I am not making any ADRs for character meals when I go. She's in her 60's. Should I tell her to skip Chef Mickey's next time she goes?

Also, would the OP feel the same if it was a developmentally delayed adult? I was at WDW once and saw an adult man who appeared to be delayed, and he looked so happy to be having his picture taken with one of the characters (I forget which one). Should he have been denied that so a 2 year old could have had his place?? :confused:

I mentioned this thread to someone the other day and they had a question for the OP. So here you go. I'll end with this.

From my friend, Chris :

OP - Do you think then, that children should not be allowed in the signature restaurants? My friend mentioned (and I agreed w/ him) that we'd give up our spot in line for Dumbo or the Barnstormer, if people with potentially running toddlers and/or screaming babies would agree to stay away from Jiko or Narcoossees. What do you think? Fair trade?

LOL. This reminds me the time DH and I went to Garden Grill. Chip came up and he kept flirting with me and then look at DH (at time he was my fiance) and he gave DH the thumb up sign. It was so funny.

I think anyone should get to ride Dumbo if they want to.

I rode the Tomorrowland Speedway by myself in 2005--my friends had taken each of their kids in a separate car, but the kids wanted me to ride too, so I got in my own car and raced along with them. It was fun.

When I was at WDW with one of my friends in college, we rode the teacups. While waiting on line we met a little girl who was going on alone because her parents didn't like the ride, so we invited her (with the parents OK) to ride with us so she wouldn't have to ride by herself. It was great.

Last time I was there with my family we did the character breakfast at the Cape May Cafe, and Goofy and Chip pretended to "fight" over me and my sister. It ended with the waitress yelling "Stop it Goofy! You already have a girlfriend!" My family was hysterically laughing at this point and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

It's just fun. Of course we're considerate of the kids in the park. But we're allowed to enjoy it too.

Yes, I went to WDW in the 70's when I was 5 years old. I have great memories. I want other children to have the same great time I did. I guess I am sensitive to the heat and waiting and know it is really difficult for small children to endure the heat and long lines. And I know that character meals are the highlight of their time there and many of them are booked solid. So if we left those tables to families with small children, more children could experience them.

WDW is great for adults, but without the children wanting to go back year after year, it couldn't exist. It really is first and foremost for children.

Families with small children can plan ahead just like everyone else. Make your ADR's 180 days ahead. Just because I'm not a small child, doesn't mean I don't enjoy character meals.

In our case, we want to go back as much as our kids, and WDW would not exist if parents would not fork over large amounts of $$ to go.

i plan on acting like a kid in October when i go again.
hear hear for all the "big" kids!!! anyone want to ride Dumbo with me this October??:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :yay: :yay: :yay:

We'll be there October 23-26. Don't know which day is MK yet. We will probably be doing MNSSHP one of those nights. (Yes, in full costumes again. This time, me, DH, & DS (21) ). Can't wait to act like a kid. OH, WAIT......I do that every day of my life.:lmao:

My last 4 trips as well as our upcoming one were & will be "little" kidless. But as for Big Kids.........

The reason I ride Dumbo every trip is the same reason I get tears in my eyes every time I read this:

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
first published in The New York Sun in 1897

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

I've never ridden Dumbo.

Not at MK, not at DL (although I went to DL when I was young enough to be "allowed" to ride it under the OP's rules).

But if I choose to ride Dumbo, I will have no worries that I'm "taking" someone else's rightful place.

That's the beauty of Disney: we're all allowed -- encouraged! -- to nurture our inner children while we're there. To look at the world anew, with eyes of wonder, as we did when we were younger.

At the local Six Flags park, there are basically two types of rides: children's rides that are scaled to children and which can only be ridden by small children -- not even their parents get to ride; and then there are the thrill rides that teens and parents can ride. There's nothing for the whole family.

Disney isn't like that. Last trip, DW wanted to experience the Tomorrowland Speedway. So we did it, without guilt, even though it can be a long wait for a very mild experience. But now we can say we've done it.

Some day we'll get around to Dumbo, and when we do, we'll take our turns and then let the next group take theirs, just as Walt intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter