• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VDH Opening

I don't like the pics either. Looking forward to the 2030 refurbishment.
I've already said I'm done with VDH but... Wow, those new pics that show more of the room. Howard Johnson met Ikea met a colorblind interior designer. I'm just going to keep doing a trip to DLH every year or 2 for my magic headboard and trader sam's fix on the side and limit my points to VGC.

I've already said I'm done with VDH but... Wow, those new pics that show more of the room. Howard Johnson met Ikea met a colorblind interior designer. I'm just going to keep doing a trip to DLH every year or 2 for my magic headboard and trader sam's fix on the side and limit my points to VGC.
This is why it’s great there are options for DVC though granted only 2 for DLR. Loved the new pics especially of the Fantasia bedrooms! The GV bathrooms look pretty stellar too. Decor and theming is never going to please everyone. Sounds like it’s a miss for you.

This is why it’s great there are options for DVC though granted only 2 for DLR. Loved the new pics especially of the Fantasia bedrooms! The GV bathrooms look pretty stellar too. Decor and theming is never going to please everyone. Sounds like it’s a miss for you.
I'm glad it appeals to some! A failure for DVC would be bad for all owners. I guess I'm just personally frustrated by it because it makes a ton of sense to buy here, but it just isn't for us.

And I'll say this... The GV looks great. If the studio/1br/2br looked more like those bedrooms, I'd buy in. It makes me wonder what could have been.

I'm glad it appeals to some! A failure for DVC would be bad for all owners. I guess I'm just personally frustrated by it because it makes a ton of sense to buy here, but it just isn't for us.

And I'll say this... The GV looks great. If the studio/1br/2br looked more like those bedrooms, I'd buy in. It makes me wonder what could have been.

You like the Moana theming?

You like the Moana theming?
It's ok. I like the uniform wall for sure as i think some of the headboards in the other rooms are visually offensive and the Moana and frozen rooms are more neutral and aesthetically pleasing. But, I wouldn't call it "theming." It's kind of just a mural.

I’m just hoping to book studios for a couple of days at 7 months. Is that wishful thinking?
Will depend on the season, but with ~65% of the points in Deluxe Studios (and an additional ~7% in Duos) and no Cabins/Bungalow-type points-anchors, it should be comparatively easy to grab a studio.

VDH will probably have a high Home Resort points usage ratio (percentage of points used at Home Resort), but with the studio bias in points they should be the last available of all the rooms, which will be unique to VDH.

I’m just hoping to book studios for a couple of days at 7 months. Is that wishful thinking?
I think preferred studios will be readily available at 7 months. Members tend to go for the El Cheapo standards first, even if looking out at a utility building, wall, or road. The garden rooms with such limited numbers may be a home resort shootout for booking.

Will depend on the season, but with ~65% of the points in Deluxe Studios (and an additional ~7% in Duos) and no Cabins/Bungalow-type points-anchors, it should be comparatively easy to grab a studio.

VDH will probably have a high Home Resort points usage ratio (percentage of points used at Home Resort), but with the studio bias in points they should be the last available of all the rooms, which will be unique to VDH.
2 bedrooms seem likely to be impossible for non-owners.

I’m really liking the pics. Like someone else said, good thing they have variety of DVC because I think VGC looks super drab and run down at the moment. I didn’t even dare sit on the couch my last stay. I’m sure the refurbish will make it great again though. Also for me I’m buying for SoCal advantage and being able to stay in the bubble so DLH is my best option right now. I want unrestricted points so resale isn’t as ideal unless VGC drops below $200. BLT is my fave so that should be telling what my priorities of a great resort is.

If anyone's interested, here's all the VDH cash rack rates through the rest of the year, plus into 2024 (only where available, needed availability to start a reservation 12/31, but not every category had availability when I checked).

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 4.26.46 PM.png

Rack rates in the first week of January are much lower. Inline with GCH decreases though, not special. Oddly, VGC points chart has the first week as peak points.

2 bedrooms seem likely to be impossible for non-owners.

Based on what @ehh posted I'd say Duo Standards/Gardens, Studio Standard/Gardens and then maybe 2 bedrooms and Duo Studio Preferred as well. There will be a lot of discounting opportunity for owners, which should drive some resale.

The Gardens I think was a smart DVC play, while they'll command a premium there is just so little of them that I think owners will compete over the aspirational nature.

I'm sticking to Studio Preferred will be near (maybe a point under) VGC Studios. Where this gets ultimately interesting is, if studios are available at DLR, even somewhat overpriced ones, will VGC resale still really command such a premium? Half of its premium I feel like is driven by simply being unable to get into the entire DLR at 7 months. The other half because it's a signature resort.

Based on what @ehh posted I'd say Duo Standards/Gardens, Studio Standard/Gardens and then maybe 2 bedrooms and Duo Studio Preferred as well. There will be a lot of discounting opportunity for owners, which should drive some resale.
My guess for room attainability, sorted into tiers (assuming full declaration, who knows how unevenly DVC might declare inventory during sales):

Walking only, year round (think AKV Value or Concierge studios):
  • Garden Duo
  • Garden Deluxe
Might need to walk, depends on season:
  • Standard Duo
  • Grand Villa
  • 2 Bedroom
  • Preferred Duo
Likely competitive at 11m:
  • 1 Bedroom
Potentially competitive at 11m:
  • Standard Deluxe
Likely available at 7m, depends on season:
  • Preferred Deluxe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter