• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VCG and Aulani at 7 months

Chellymouse

DIS Veteran
We are in the early planning stages for our 15th anniversary trip for 9/2015. We are planning to go to VCG from Friday evening to either Mon or Tue then go to Aulani for 9-10 nights. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) with obtaining ressies at either of these resorts at the 7 month window? I know it's really early, but many things have to fall into place for us to be able to take this trip! TIA!!

I will be interested in this answer too! We are hoping to just spend one night at
VCG and then a week at Aulani. Hoping for studios at VCG and a 2BR at Aulani. Planning on Feb 2015.

We just booked a studio ocean view for Aulani at 6 months out (renting points). We tried to book Grand Californian studio for 3 nights on the way or way back. We were told there was absolutely no availability for that the month of Sept or heading into Oct.

VGC is hard to get at 7 months. You literally need to book it that morning at exactly 7 months to have a shot (and many times even thats not good enough). 7 months at Aulani was really easy most of the time. Aulani is HUGE and expensive to travel to so those factors i believe will make it available most of the time.

Not sure how relevant my answer will be because we went in February, but I'll share my experience. I booked 4 nights in a 1 bedroom at VGC and 10 nights in a 2 bedroom at Aulani right at the 7 month window. 3 months later when I was looking at flights I was able to push both reservations forward one night without a problem. It was an amazing trip, I hope you get what you want. :)

We are in the early planning stages for our 15th anniversary trip for 9/2015. We are planning to go to VCG from Friday evening to either Mon or Tue then go to Aulani for 9-10 nights. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) with obtaining ressies at either of these resorts at the 7 month window? I know it's really early, but many things have to fall into place for us to be able to take this trip! TIA!!

Yes, I have gotten studios at both at the seven month mark, though I had to get an Island View at Aulani which cost more points. I should mention that in each case, it was within a year of opening.

If I were you, I'd plan to be on the website at 8AM Eastern both days you'll need to book your stays. Good luck!

We booked 8 nights in a VGC studio for just after the 4th of July in 2012 at 7 months exactly - no problems! We booked 7 nights in an Aulani GV for the end of June this year, and walked the reservation because things kept getting booked up as DH was watching the website for the week before our dates. We did book 2 additional nights in a studio after the 7 month window opened for July - but when we went to add a 3rd night a month or so later, there weren't any so we ended up with a Standard Hotel Room for one night.

It's certainly doable, but you'll need to be on your toes at the exact 7 month mark (or earlier!)

Good luck!

I agree with those who suggest booking Aulani early on the first available day. I called at exactly 7 months first thing in the morning and still had to waitlist a couple of the days. Our stay is in June 2014 in an Ocean-view Studio

Last year, in March, I was able to book a 2BR villa at Aulani for 5 days in September (about 6 1/2 months out).

I was ready to go at 8am ET on the computer for Aulani. I wanted pool view. Pool view and Ocean view are a little easier. Standard and then Island go first. I was able to get a pool view for this August in a dedicated 2-bedroom, which is exactly what I wanted :)

I have been lucky enough to snag both of those resorts twice for early-mid August. The first time was for last summer and due to a medical emergency with our DS we had to cancel the whole trip at the last minute so now we're re-planning the trip for this August now. Both times I booked online promptly at 8:00 for a studio at VGC on our way to Aulani. Since there are so few studios at VGC which go quickly I did book a few nights early then canceled off the extra few nights in the beginning of the trip. The first time we planned for 4 n at VGC and 7 n at Aulani in an OV studio. This time we didn't have as many points to work with and had to borrow some so we cut back to 3 n at VGC and an IV studio at Aulani rather than OV. I re-checked and watched both resorts both times after I booked and each one booked up pretty much right away. September may have a slightly different (easier) booking availability as most people with kids will not be traveling then due to school. I would think with school starting back for most by then that the availability should be slightly better but I would still plan to book online ASAP on the day my booking window opened. There will always be lots of people WITHOUT kids who will wait for September to vacation when crowds will be lower and airfare lower. (I think both of these resorts are a big draw for locals for weekends tho.)

Originally would have been content with Standard View 2BR Dedicated Preferred.....
At Aulani, NO 2 BR STANDARD(either Dedicated or Lock off)available for "less busy" time of May at 8AM exactly 7months in advance...

Wound up having to book Pool View for our dates, Dedicated 2 BR...Waitlisted
Island View and Island View 2 BR came up, but Lock Off...

Have 2 BR Island View Lock Off, but 1st choice would have been Dedicated....

In my experience, Ocean View and Pool View were available, but ISLAND AND STANDARD MUCH TOUGHER to get even exactly at 7 mos!

GOOD LUCK AT MAKING A 7 MOS RESERVATION....Ocean View will probably be available as some like me do not want to pay the points....

Good Luck booking at either VGF or Aulani! BOTH AWESOME RESORTS!:cool1::beach:

Aulani at the seven month widow is difficult at Christmas/New Years and some peak summer months. Other than that, there are typically openings for accommodations of some type (there are so many variations of bedrooms, views and lock-off/non lock-off).

Just booked 3 nights at VGF for November--a few days after the 7 mo. window. Good luck!!!

:)Thank you everyone! As far as being the "bird that gets the worm" we will be having dinner at Be Our Guest for the third time (3 of 3 trips so far) this Oct. The Mickey Gods are generally with us!: I'm the person who is on the phone/online 2 minutes early...:woohoo:

In the first week of November 2013, I booked Aulani at 8am right at the 7 month window for 1st week of June 2014. Got a 1BR but had to do Island view, as Standard was already booked. Based on the points chart, this is one of the slower times too. So, my recommendation is be flexible with your room types and you will probably be ok.

Only about 6 weeks away and we can't wait!!!

In the first week of November 2013, I booked Aulani at 8am right at the 7 month window for 1st week of June 2014. Got a 1BR but had to do Island view, as Standard was already booked. Based on the points chart, this is one of the slower times too. So, my recommendation is be flexible with your room types and you will probably be ok.

Only about 6 weeks away and we can't wait!!!

Have a great trip!! Will there be a trip report???

We got both VGC and Aulani at 7 months for our spring break trip this year in March. We had a 2 bedroom at both, 2 nights at GC, 5 at Aulani. I had been worried about booking, since we have no flexibility at all in our schedule since it was during our kids' spring break.

We loved both resorts. We did not love the flights with DD3. We did not love the flights so much that we canceled one of the trips we had planned for this summer because it involved another flight. I am sure we will return to both resorts eventually, but we aren't going to try for at least 2 years, and likely more, because DD needs to get a little older before we do long flights with her again!

We are going during May and also could not get a standard view at Aulani, but had to do a 2 BR Island View also!
I had read on these boards and was prepared that we probably wouldn't get STANDARD!
May is not considered "peak" season, but could not do standard!
I guess that standard is really TOUGH TO GET!:sad2: Oh well, had to use a lot more points, but I am CERTAIN that it will be worth it!

Not looking forward to the 11 hour nonstop out there, but on the plus side it is 9 1/2 on he return trip!:sad1: "A price to pay" for a FABULOUS RESORT!:dance3:

CANNOT WAIT!!! :thumbsup2:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter