• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Valentine's Disasters

This year is shaping up to be a disaster. I live 2.5 hours away from my boyfriend. We are both student teachers and both have an extended weekend. I have a four day weekend, he has a three day weekend.

We were planning to to Mall of America, but his professor rescheduled his Saturday class that meets once a month for tomorrow. That makes no sense to me. Not only is it Valentine's Day, it's over an extended weekend! Oh well.

I made plans to drive out to Kansas City tomorrow and stay until Monday. Well, tonight I get on the computer and there is an IM waiting for me. He was sick last night, but thought it was a 24 hour thing. Well, tonight he said he is not feeling any better and doesn't know if he will even go to class tomorrow. So I may not be able to go see him tomorrow. :( Hopefully I can drive up Sunday, or just go for a day on Monday.

I'm really hoping I can see him. I get to see him once a month- twice if I'm lucky. Between his Saturday class and my working Saturdays at Hy-Vee (the only day of the week I actually get paid for working) we don't get to see eachother nearly enough. Needless to see I'm kind of bummed at the moment.

I posted this before on this board, and I actually posted it earlier on another board. But here is my worst Valentine's Day story.

A few years ago my hairdresser was getting married on Valentine’s Day. My mother is also a client of her so she was invited to the wedding as well. I was not all too happy about attending the wedding on VD. Especially after I broke up with the guy I was seeing at the time. Who wants to go to a wedding solo? Or with your mother? And then have that wedding be on VD when everyone is with their someone special? It was like a cruel joke to ask a single gal to come to a wedding on VD and her not have a date.

I was unable to go to the ceremony due to work, but my mother was picking me up to go to the reception. I had a great dress on. It was pretty low cut though. But still looked nice. I wore heels and everything that night. I had been losing weight at that point so I was pretty proud of it. Off to the reception we go.

It was held at a banquet type place. Actually it was called a teahouse. There were many levels, lots of stairs and not everything was in one room. Not a big deal right? Sure. Remember I am wearing heels.

There is no assigned seating but we are able to get seated at a table in the main room with the dance floor. Score. One of the best things about a wedding reception is a good dj. The only thing better than that is an open bar. Which they had as well. But it was a limited open bar. They didn’t have a ton of different types of alcohol. Just plenty of what was supplied. Nothing that I normally drank, but it was alright. Open bar remember?

The food was an issue though. It was a buffet of Mexican food. Which I am really picky about. My nana cooks the best Mexican food, so everything else is meh. But as I mentioned before, I had been losing weight on a diet so I hadn’t eaten all day (not good I know). So I put some food on my plate. I ended up not really eating, but planned to eat some because I was drinking.

I get up to go to the restroom, when I come back my plate is gone. My mother sent it back because she knew I didn’t like it, but I needed to eat. She told me to just eat the cake. Oh well, keep the drinks coming I said. Which they did. And because of my many trips to the bar, I met a guy. Now don’t ask me his name, because I have no clue. Bad I know. So we hit it off, and start talking and hanging out. We ended up on the dance floor and were having a great time. For some reason though we thought it was a great idea to make out on the dance floor. We were drinking remember?

So the night keeps on, I am having a great time. I have already forgotten that it was VD. Forgotten that I was single again.. Forgotten that I was there with my mom. And forgotten that I was at someone’s wedding. I was having a great time. So great that my mother cut me off and told me it was time to go. There is a point where I drink past my limits. It’s the “thumbs up” point. If I give thumps up more than once, I am cut off. Family and friends know of this. So I was cut off.

We manage to say our good byes and such and make our way out of the facility. But once outside, I realize that I need to use the restroom or I won’t make it home. Mom says she will pull the car around. So I head back up two flights of stairs to where I know there is a bathroom. I am sure there were others on the other floors, but I am drunk and don’t know where they are. I go for the sure bet. I do my business and head out. Now I have been drinking plenty, had my DMO (drunk make out) and am in a pretty good mood. That it why I missed a few steps and go hurling down the stairs. Don’t worry, I didn’t get hurt. But the twins were out for a walk. Damn that low cut dress and push up bra. I did what every woman in my heels would have done. I get the girls back in their holding cell and brush myself off, hold my head high, and make my way out to the car.

So I get to the car and mom asks if everything is ok. I smile, give her thumbs up and off we go. We then discuss if she should take side streets or freeway. She thinks side streets are better since I may get sick. I am offended at this so I tell her I am great, take the freeway. Besides, its late and it will be empty. So off we go.

Everything is going fine until she hits a pot hole and every ounce of alcohol I had that night decides to show up again. I can not get the window down fast enough. Plus I am on the shorter side so getting my head out of the window is not easy. I end up getting sick all over myself, and the car. Now this was a special kind of sick. I had it on my dress, my coat, in my hair, down the inside of the car, and all over the outside of the car. It looked like splatter paint. I was crying and couldn’t stop. I just wanted to die. It was horrible!

Now, what do you think my sweet mother did? I will tell you. She slapped my leg over and over again yelling at me for getting sick in her car. She ended up getting off the freeway to take side streets the rest of the way home. So by this time I am still crying and my makeup is running down my face. I turn to her to tell her I’m sorry. And all she can tell me is “Look at yourself! You look like Alice Cooper!”. Very different than how I started out the evening.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, we pull up to a stop light and a low rider car pulls up next to us. I am now leaning on the open window with my head sticking out lying on the vomit. I glance up to see the driver and his passengers who happen to all be cholos. They roll down their window and point and laugh and say “That’s messed up”. Yeah, I couldn’t get any lower than I did at that time.

I get home, try to clean myself up and climb into bed. My father ends up washing off her car for her so I don’t have to. They are afraid the paint is going to be ruined. And that was the end of my worst VD.

But that is not the end of the story. The next day I almost died. I have never had a hang over like that. I felt like I got hit by a truck. And I didn’t do that great of a job cleaning my hair up the night before so that was just nasty. I had to have all my bedding washed. A few weeks later I was getting my hair done and my hairdresser was asking me how long I knew that guy for. She was shocked that I met him that night. So yeah, I was a bit embarrassed about that. At least I learned my lesson. Don’t go single to a wedding on VD.

Can anyone top that one?

Be glad you have someone who loves you enough to send you anything. Whether or not you believe he put any thought into it. I would kill to have that.
And I have to know, what perfect gift did you get for him?

I'm sorry for your loss, I don't know your story but I know every time I see your signature, my heart aches. :hug:

:hug: to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am sorry :(

Thanks for the kindness it is appreciated as well as unexpected! I hope you all have a wonderful day!

My Valentines Day gift just walked in the door at 3am this morning. DH is home. YEAH!!!! 3 business trips in the past 3 weeks. I'm happy! :goodvibes :lovestruc

The Bear has been found, I repeat the bear has been found. They spelled my name wrong, so it was put to the side.

Guess I will be eating crow tonight for dinner

It is still odd looking and I don't really like teddy bears, but I will keep it

Oh and hentob, I am going to buy myself that Vera Bradley bag, I was just hoping, you know.

Suzanne

I feel horrible for EG -I can't imagine what that is like.

But I don't think that just because "it could be worse" means you can't complain. So no one ever gets to be upset with their husband ever?

Sometimes people come on the disboards to vent -things they don't say to anyone else. I don't want an 80 dollar Teddy Bear either -and I would be irritated. It doesn't mean I don't love my husband.

DH rememered my favorite stone from wayyyy back when we were dating:love: & got me stud earrings with that stone. When i went to take the second one out of the jewelry box-the stone popped out of the 4 prong setting!!!:sad1:

So it looks like I need to make a trip to the jewelers

I understand OP's fustration, and I understand where EG is coming from. I'm so sorry for those that lost a loved one.

OP I read in one of my DH's magazines that men wish we would just tell them exactly what we want. Most hate to shop and don't want to wander around a store clueless trying to figure out what we want. So if you normally do gifts for V-Day, just be up front and tell him you want that Vera Bradley and don't forget to say in XYZ color/pattern, as well. You have to tell them specifics. ;) Sometimes men don't 'get' hints. :confused3

My mom has a great idea. She keeps a list of stuff she wants/needs taped to the inside of a frequently used cabinet. She adds stuff she wants as the year goes on.

Exactly why DH and I don't buy into the whole Valentines day garbage. He used to buy me flowers..told him to stop and not waste his money. I am not a flower person. We don't exchange gifts on Christmas, birthdays or anniversary either. I'd rather he came home with a special surprise for me for no reason, or buy a card "just because" then do it on a designated day. And yes he feels the same way..must be why we are a good match. Now there is 1 exception..next year is our 25th anniversary...I am expecting a very nice trip away somewhere for that one.

Be glad you have someone who loves you enough to send you anything. Whether or not you believe he put any thought into it. I would kill to have that.

And I have to know, what perfect gift did you get for him?

:grouphug: I actually thought about MJ last night. It was a really clear night out and the stars looked so low so I was starring up at the sky wondering if one of those stars was his.

I would too EG. I would give anything to have just one wilted rose or an ill thought out gift on a day like today. Its not easy to read a thread like this or have to go through a day like this every year. Just be glad that you have a husband or partner, because I would give anything to see the love of my life walk back through the door, to give him a hug and see my four kids run towards him.

Maggs

I feel horrible for EG -I can't imagine what that is like.

But I don't think that just because "it could be worse" means you can't complain. So no one ever gets to be upset with their husband ever?

Sometimes people come on the disboards to vent -things they don't say to anyone else. I don't want an 80 dollar Teddy Bear either -and I would be irritated. It doesn't mean I don't love my husband.

Not saying she doesn't love her husband, but put it in prospective. It's one day, he tried to get her something different, he obviously spent time on the website picking out the bear. He tried to make it special. A gift from the heart and trying to put a smile on her face. That has allways garnered points from me.

Believe me my dh was no saint, but I really don't understand how anyone can whine about a gift given to them.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and words. Maggs hugs to you.

I think that any gift is nice if it's well meant. Of course, gifts aren't always necessary either. It just depends on your relationship.

I'm sorry about the frozen roses and for those who lost loved ones. Wow, that is awful.

At least I learned my lesson. Don’t go single to a wedding on VD.
Not sure that I ever went to a wedding on Valentine's Day - but I used to LOVE going to weddings without a date. I could almost always find a cute guy that would be good for a few dates - I've even had undying love professed and a proposal from guys I met at weddings. I used to make a really good first impression.:)

But no over the top drinking and no making out in public.:goodvibes

I finally accepted that I was OLD when I started going to weddings and there were no single men in my age bracket. I had suddenly become in the "friends of the parents" category.:) :)

I'm sorry, that had to be painful.:sad1:
I lost my sons on Valentine's Day so I don't look forward to it either. :hug:

I am so sorry :hug:

I think that any gift is nice if it's well meant. Of course, gifts aren't always necessary either. It just depends on your relationship.

I'm sorry about the frozen roses and for those who lost loved ones. Wow, that is awful.

I agree that a thoughtful gift is really a nice gift but sometimes we know that there is no thought behind it. My dh is last minute shopper who panics and grabs whatever just so he can give me something, in that case I would rather have no gift. Now, most of the time I buy my own gifts and he is perfectly happy to let me :laughing:

I always wish some men would come on this board and tell us about the horrible gifts their wives give them.

Why YES! Chocolate from the 50% off shelf and some slightly wilted roses... :p

Hey, I got those from a guy while I was in school! We were dating long distance and didn't see each other until the 15th. Actually, he wrote in the card 'don't read the mushy stuff, it was the last one left.' Sadly, I married him. :confused3

Since I'd proven my total inability to pick a decent man, I've never remarried.

Hey, I got those from a guy while I was in school! We were dating long distance and didn't see each other until the 15th. Actually, he wrote in the card 'don't read the mushy stuff, it was the last one left.' Sadly, I married him. :confused3

Since I'd proven my total inability to pick a decent man, I've never remarried.

Can we start a club for that?

And I may get a beat down for this, but I've never been a fan of V Day. If you can't do nice things for me the other 364 days, don't bother on one day.
Keep the flowers, unload the dishwasher or scoop a litter box. You'll get lucky like you have no idea!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter