• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacation where everything went wrong

Sorry to hear about that. I am glad you had some good times while you were there. I always want to be home when I am sick, but I wouldn't mind being holed up at the Grand. I sure wouldn't want to have to go back and forth to the hospital, though.

It certainly is not your fault for taking your mom to Disneyland. When I am older and need assistance, I hope my kids will take me to Disneyland. We just never know when we will get ill. I've had to cancel many vacations due to illness (myself or a family member). It's so disappointing, but I am grateful to Disney for comping another night for you and for giving you park tickets for a future visit.

Norovirus is not airborne.

Yes, you would use droplet precautions for norovirus outbreaks - however that does not mean it’s an airborne virus, is just means that if you got a particle (droplet) on you from someone sneezing and/or vomiting nearby, you could contract the virus by introducing it into your own system. Think like... someone sneezes onto a tray, you (without knowing) pick up that tray. Your eye itches. You rub your eye with the hand that touches the tray...

That said, it could be something other than noro.

Your best precaution? Wash your hands! With hot water and soap, especially before eating. Look up proper hand washing procedure and use it. Avoid touching your eyes and nose - those are happy moist entry points for these sorts of things.

Could you still get sick? Sure.

I have seen hand sanitizers specifically for noro (alcohol based isn’t really effective in this case) but I can’t testify to their effectiveness as I’ve never used them. We do use special cleansers in healthcare for the surfaces of there is a noro outbreak.

To the OP, I’m sorry a nurse made you feel that way, that is not how it should be. A nurse should know better than anyone how easy it is to contract a stomach bug and their focus should be assessment of the current situation, assisting the doctor with treatment and follow up to give you tips on how to do your best to decrease the likelihood of it happening again. Telling you that you shouldn’t have brought her to Disney is just not helpful.

(Edited because the board ate part of my post when I initially posted :) )

Last edited:
I'm sorry that your mom fell ill during your latest Disney trip. While getting sick can happen to anyone, it is riskier for those with a compromised immune system. (You said she has a weakened immune system and 81 years old.) Elderly and immunodeficient people are prone to more severe and longer-lasting symptoms from the same type of illness. We get colds and require fluids and bed rest before we get better. She gets a cold, gets those fluids and bedrest, and it turns into pneumonia. Her body cannot fight off infections like a younger, healthy individual.

Should you go in November? That's cold and flu season and she'll be among thousands of people from everywhere. You need to work with her physician and immunologist for a game plan if they agree she can go. You want to make her happy, but they want to keep her out of the hospital. It is important you understand and accept what your mom abilities and limitations are and work with that.

BTW: My husband is a lymphoma survivor who from lengthy chemotherapy now has Specific Antibody Disorder, a type of immunodeficiency disorder. He has had pneumonia twice and staph infections in his sinuses from being unable to fight off milder illnesses.

I was expecting a "where everything went wrong" post with a lot of complaining about whatever didn't go to expectations, but this was genuinely a health crisis and I wish it hadn't happened to you and your mom. Disney's solution was really good, I think. By November, you'll even get to see the Star Wars area. We are a lot of Disney fanatics here but add me to the camp that wants to be taken when I'm 81.

Sorry to hear about having a bad trip:hyper2:! Our first trip to DL was a nightmare years ago, flu bugs, sore feet, and a tour guide/father-n-law that thought he knew DL better than Walt(he did not:sad2:). Anyway, we survived and R still married, we do not travel at all with the FIL. We have been back to DL many, many times since, usually for five or six days at the GCH or the DLH pixiedust: . The DL trips R usually quite nice now and full of DL characters and fun party:. Hope your next trip is FUN and enjoyable :tinker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter