Vacation where everything went wrong

tenneycjt

DIS Veteran
Just got back from disneyland on friday with my mom, unfortunately it wasnt a very good trip. We arrived on sunday and the first couple of days were fine. Had mothers day dinner at the plaza inn which was delicious,and everyone was right a cast member was able to help me carry all the food to my mom, On monday we visited princess faire and i got autographs and photos with snow white cinderella and ariel. We rode small world where my mom could use the wheelchair aceesible boat. On monday we did soarin, had lunch at award wieners where they lost my order and i waited forever.After that mike and sullly, and we met black widow and captain marvel with little to no wait.Day was going good. We finished up with frozen and headed back to the room. One reason for the trip was that my mom has been through so many health issues in the last 6 months we wanted to get out and have a little fun. She went to bed early but about 1 am she woke up vomiting, I called the for the nurse and he came to the room. We decided to take her to the er, we were there till 2 in the afternoon, she was diagnosed with a stomach virus. It is a little scary being out of town and being transoprted to a strange hospital. The grand california was great and told us just to call and they would pick us up from the hospital. After comin back we grabbed a light dinner but again that night weakened by the bug i had to call emergency again. They gave my mom more fluids and let us go after 6 hours or so. By this time i am feeling really guilty and plus i hadnt slept in 48 hours. We were scheduled to come back that day but there was no way but the hotel was great and let us stay anextra night at a dscounted rate. We were able to go disneyland for about an hour that night just for shopping but by that time i was starting to catch the bug too. To top it off housekeeping accidently threw out my moms dentures. The trip was so dissappointing because we were both looking forward to it so much. My mom mus thave picked it up due to her weakened immune system. I hope we can go back the original plan was to go in november but now I dont know when wecan go back. It didnt help that a nurse at the hospital was critisiczing me for bringing my mom to disneyland. People were super nice to make things better. Bu t i cant help but ask why us?

I'm so sorry :( Hope your mom recovers. I'm glad you guys had some fun parts to the trip. Is it possible to ask your mom's regular doctor about going again? Maybe they can suggest tips for going with a weakened immune system.Hopefully by November she is well enough. Did she have noro virus? That one is rough and lasts on surfaces and spreads sooo easily. It's hard not to catch it.

I'm so sorry about all the issues you encountered. I know how disappointing it can be when things like this happen, especially at the happiest place on earth. I hope you get a little extra pixie dust soon.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom’s sickness but glad you were able to enjoy some park time before it hit.

I’m also so glad to hear about Disney going above and beyond, even comping a night at the Grand! I know that doesn’t make up for your sadness at the missed opportunities, but it’s great to see them step up that way.

I hope you get to visit again and do all of the things you’d hoped to.

Sending sympathy -- so sorry to hear about your mom. But glad you got at least some good stuff in during the beginning of your trip and that Disney was nice to you during the trouble and afterward. And glad that you and your mom made it home safely. She's probably very relieved to be back in her own bed to recover. Hope that she's feeing stronger by fall and that you get to visit DLR again. Hope you both get some good rest and feel back to normal soon!

Last edited:

Wow! I read through your post and just felt so sick for you and your mom and how your trip went but also very happy to hear about how Disney has continued to follow-up with you and keep in contact doing everything they can to make the situation better.

They said it was jus ta stomach virus but everyone said it is going around down there, A cast member jsut called me and they gave us the extra night hotel for free

I got it while we were staying at DGC. It hit me on May 7th. Luckily it was just a 24 hour thing. Had to miss our World of Color Desert party for my BILs birthday though. That was the worst part.

I really did enjoy the finding nemo observation deck I thought it was it was pretty well done with the theming while still making feel part of the ride, Getting autographs was so much fun Cniderella said she would be happy to sign my storybook. Captain Marvel was incredibly nice to both me and my mom, when we met anna and elsa we were lead to another room where Olaf was waiting, that was a surprise. Wish the trip could have stayed on track, Nxt time we are both wearing masks.Rather be careful than sick, in other countries it is pretty common and i think courteous not to ge tother people sick.

So sorry to hear it ended like that, but glad you got a good few days in. Also it's wonderful that Disney comped you a hotel night and a couple of new tickets! I hope you and your mom get the chance to do a "Do Over!" trip in the future when she is feeling more hearty.

I can totally relate. We waited for years for our girls to be old enough to enjoy the trip. None of us had ever been to any Disney property, including DH and I in our 40's. We splurged on GCH and took our 3 daughters, aged 5, 9 and 12 at the time. Waiting to board the plane, DD12 said, "Mom, I don't feel so good." The next morning when I woke everybody up for Magic Morning, she ran for the bathroom and barfed. DH and I spent our 5 day trip alternating hotel duty to stay with our sick daughter. Every afternoon, she would start to feel a little better and go to the parks for a few hours, but every evening she wilted faster and was sicker the next day. By the time we came home, everybody was sick to some extent. We took her to the walk in clinic the next morning, and they nearly hospitalized her because of dehydration. We all ended up with some kind of pneumonia and multiple ear infections. That was awful. She felt so bad, too, like she'd "ruined" our vacation, even though her sisters saw a lot of good stuff, and DH and I alternated enough to see lots, too. So, she and I did a "do over" trip the following October, just her and me. We had a wonderful trip that time! It's detailed in the first trip report in my signature.

I know this can happen to anyone but your right the planning and anticipation of counting down the days and than someone gets sick, nothing we can control, Im sure we will get a do over but the waiting and than worrying if it could happen again is tough but i love Disneyland. Im just thankful that my mom is ok that is the most important thing because she is the most important person in my life.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty, regardless what the nurse said. It was just a case of bad luck that could have happened in any environment where people come together. It could have happened in your local mall or supermarket.

Aww...what a disappointing grip. I’m glad you had 2 good days. It’s so nice Disney reached out and sprinkled a little pixie dust for a future stay.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty, regardless what the nurse said. It was just a case of bad luck that could have happened in any environment where people come together. It could have happened in your local mall or supermarket.
Yeah he was like I wouldnt have brought her she's 81 and this is disney but thats your decision, he said it twice, i was shocked it made me feel even worse.

Bu t i cant help but ask why us?

Because we’re all human, and noro-type viruses are incredibly common, and we don’t even think about touching things then eating (which puts the virus into our systems) or wiping our noses or biting our nails etc.

a nurse at the hospital was critisiczing me for bringing my mom to disneyland.

Meh. People take people on Wish trips all the time. Disney is a bucket list type of place. What a jerk of a nurse.

Do u think u got it at the hotel?

You can get noro-type viruses anywhere. There’s not going to be any way for you to figure it out. She might even have had it just before your trip, since it hit not quite 48 hours into your trip, and it sounds like it was a bit 48 hours until you got it (so you likely got it while caring for her).

Yeah he was like I wouldnt have brought her she's 81 and this is disney but thats your decision, he said it twice, i was shocked it made me feel even worse.

You should write to the hospital to complain. He shouldn’t be laying guilt trips on you. She literally could have gotten it at home as well. My son and I got a noro type virus at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter