Using OLD tickets...where to "cash in"?

Nanseev

Mouseketeer
I have four VERY old 4-day park hopper tickets that I never completely used - from 1996! 😲. I know I've read that they don't expire, and I am planning on using them tomorrow. Do I just go to the ticket booth? Or do I go right to the gate? They were park hoppers, so I'm assuming I can still park hop Also...how strict do you think they will be with adult/child? These were from a previous relationship (boyfriend had 2 kids)....now I have my own teens with hubby, and I would like to use the tickets for all of us...but my teens are 14 and 16...worst case do you think they would let me pay the difference between adult/child from back then ($28 for each child)? We live in California, so we have been DL goers...and will be the first time to WDW for my kids....and I've been saving these tickets for years in case I ever had the opportunity to bring everyone. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

You will need to go to a Guest Services window and plan on spending some time there. As far as wanting to use a childs ticket for adults it all depends upon the policy that day and the person who assists you. A lot depends upon their knowledge of the old ticket structure and the guidance they will get from management. In most cases it works out in your favor but it will take some time. You could save yourself some time at the park and do it in advance at Disney Springs Guest Services.

I think the tickets still can’t be transferred even though they’re still valid if partially used. It sounded like ex and his kids partially used the tickets but there’s a few days left? I don’t think your DH and kids could use the tickets now. But I have no experience with this so I could be wrong!

I have four VERY old 4-day park hopper tickets that I never completely used - from 1996! 😲. I know I've read that they don't expire, and I am planning on using them tomorrow. Do I just go to the ticket booth? Or do I go right to the gate? They were park hoppers, so I'm assuming I can still park hop Also...how strict do you think they will be with adult/child? These were from a previous relationship (boyfriend had 2 kids)....now I have my own teens with hubby, and I would like to use the tickets for all of us...but my teens are 14 and 16...worst case do you think they would let me pay the difference between adult/child from back then ($28 for each child)? We live in California, so we have been DL goers...and will be the first time to WDW for my kids....and I've been saving these tickets for years in case I ever had the opportunity to bring everyone. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
If your ex or his kids used the tickets first, they aren't transferable and can't be used by your DH and children.

In general, you should not use old tickets for a vacation of more than 4 days if you also have to buy more tickets to finish the vacation with. The exact strategy would depend on the cost of new tickets for the whole vacation versus the cost of new tickets just for the days after the old tickets got used up.

The same person can continue to use his unexpired child ticket after he reaches age 10.

An unused child ticket may be given to any other child to use.

An unused child ticket may be traded in towards a current adult ticket.

You may not take one ticket with several leftover fun (plus) visits and admit the whole family to the water park using it.

Most older tickets require a no cost one time treatment at a ticket booth to be re-issued as a card with RFID chip or be incorporated into your My Disney Experience account. The ticketing systems no longer use magnetic stripes or bar codes.

Last edited:

In 2015 we were able to take some tickets from the 1980s to Guest Services in Disney Springs (I believe it was Downtown Disney then...) One ticket had one day left which we received a new admission card for. The remainder of the tickets were ride tickets and they gave us cash value (not very much money).

My mother-in-law had the tickets from the 80s and she was with us when we went to Downtown Disney. So she received the new admission card and we purchased 4 more 1 day tickets for the rest of us.

I am not sure if Disney policies have changed since 2015. I had no idea you could do this but the old tickets had no expiry date.

The same person can continue to use his unexpired child ticket after he reaches age 10.

An unused child ticket may be given to any other child to use.

An unused child ticket may be traded in towards a current adult ticket.

You may not take one ticket with several leftover fun (plus) visits and admit the whole family to the water park using it.

Most older tickets require a one time treatment at a ticket booth to be re-issued as a card with RFID chip or be incorporated into your My Disney Experience account. The ticketing systems no longer use magnetic stripes or bar codes.
They aren't unused. They were previously used by a former boyfriend and his children. OP thinks her DH and kids can use the remaining days. They can't.

Hopefully we'll hear an update. I was reading the OP's post and was struck by what she had listed as a "worse case" is actually an unrealistic "best case".

Do you still have contact with your former boyfriend? You could send the tickets back to him for his kids to finish using.

I'm not really sure I understand why these can't be used now by the OP's DH and kids. Back when those tickets were issued, I don't recall them having anything on them to identify who the original users were. Does anyone know?

I should add that I don't recall if there was anything on my mother-in-law's paper tickets to identify that they were hers. As well, we only went to MK for one day.

I'm not really sure I understand why these can't be used now by the OP's DH and kids. Back when those tickets were issued, I don't recall them having anything on them to identify who the original users were. Does anyone know?

They can't be used now because Disney tickets are non-transferable. Even if no name was recorded on a particular ticket, the rule is that if the tickets were used be someone else, they cannot be reassigned to someone else now. As discussion of circumventing rules is against the DisBoards guidelines, I would suspect that suggestions that the OP should lie about who used the tickets in the past will result in this thread being closed.

They can't be used now because Disney tickets are non-transferable. Even if no name was recorded on a particular ticket, the rule is that if the tickets were used be someone else, they cannot be reassigned to someone else now. As discussion of circumventing rules is against the DisBoards guidelines, I would suspect that suggestions that the OP should lie about who used the tickets in the past will result in this thread being closed.
I’m not saying she should try to lie, but wouldn’t the disney policies in place at the time the tickets were issued be the ones they follow now? As in, if back in 1996 a multi-day ticket was transferable (because they didn’t have biometrics back then and didn’t have that policy), wouldn’t they continue to be transferable now?

I’m not saying she should try to lie, but wouldn’t the disney policies in place at the time the tickets were issued be the ones they follow now? As in, if back in 1996 a multi-day ticket was transferable (because they didn’t have biometrics back then and didn’t have that policy), wouldn’t they continue to be transferable now?
I'm not sure that it's accurate that tickets from 1996 were transferable.

Here's a WDW Passport from 1986 that clearly indicates that the ticket is non-transferable. Certainly Disney wouldn't have rescinded that wording in subsequent years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter