Using mugs in TS?

BeckyEsq

Mouseketeer.
Say we are going to dinner at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. Is it appropriate to fill refillable mugs at the QS at the Poly then take them to dinner with us? Or would that be considered rude to the TS servers?

Say we are going to dinner at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. Is it appropriate to fill refillable mugs at the QS at the Poly then take them to dinner with us? Or would that be considered rude to the TS servers?
We would never do this. If we eat at a table service restaurant, we partake of the entire experience, including beverage service. If we want to use our refillable mug for meal beverage service, we do counter service. We have accepted a to-go drink refill when offered as we’re settling the bill, but that’s a refill of the drink we paid for along with our meal.

I saw an article about how you can use your refillable mug at other resorts. The only time I would go to another resort is usually for their TS so I was just wondering if people do this.

I saw an article about how you can use your refillable mug at other resorts. The only time I would go to another resort is usually for their TS so I was just wondering if people do this.
Not at a table service restaurant, that would be tacky. Could you do it? Yes, but should you do it? Definite no. I've never seen a person use a refillable mug at a TS location. If you are eating at a QSR, then it's absolutely appropriate. Or if you just want to stop in and fill your mug and walk around, that is fine, too.

Would you bring an entree from QS in to eat at a table service restaurant? I would not. So I would not bring my own drink in either. Whether or not I was staying at that resort, would not make a difference either. If I want quick service I go there. If I want table service, I order anything I want from the offered menu & pay accordingly.

Last edited:
I mean, you could but that doesn't necessarily mean you  should.

You can get a water if you don't want to order a soda and then after your meal, you can refill your mug.
I agree. I often order water with a TS meal because I am used to drinking water at home at mealtime. If I wanted a soda, I would stop and get that after the meal and consume it as a sort of dessert or snack.

I don't think it's a big deal. We just returned and saw ppl. (multiple tables) do this at at least Beaches n Cream...
possibly others, but wasn't really paying close attention, but definitely noticed at Beaches.

I think it might be easier for a child to go unnoticed with a resort mug. As an adult, I would feel a little awkward. Having said that, I'm sure it happens quite often and servers may be used to it.

Do you do this at home? Go into a restaurant and bring in your own drinks? If you don't feel right doing that at other places, then it would be the same at any restaurant at WDW. I know people have a different mentality when it comes to Disney, but restaurant rules still apply.

Last edited:
At first I thought: There probably isn't a rule that this is not allowed, but I would never do this.

Then I thought: Actually I could see myself making an exception if there was someone with special needs in my group.

Then I read through the comments and thought: Ok the Beaches & Cream example is interesting... On the patio many will have mugs on them and drink from them too. The patio leads to indoor table seating. Could imagine folks wandering in for an ADR w/ mug in hand. Not sure if the same hardline distinction of "this is table service and I need to be more formal" would hold there? Perhaps yes perhaps no.

Then I thought: What does Disney say? Searching for where the cup can be drank doesn't turn anything up, only where it can be refilled. However where it's refilled seems to imply that's also where it's to be used.

That said, it's good to remember Disney's "Welcome Home" motto. Does it mean all bets are off and you bring the mug to Yachtsman? No. However there may be a super, super casual gray area like Beaches & Cream. I've never been to Kona Cafe and don't know the setup so I'm not sure if that restaurant is "gray."

Beaches & Cream is a specified refill station. So not quite the same thing IMO.
Hmmm...I guess, but it is a TS restaurant. Kona Cafe is pretty casual as well. I wouldn't do this and would think of it as being kinda tacky at a formal restaurant, but wouldn't think twice about it at your more casual establishments. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter