Using DVC Discount with Family

MickeyMike87

Earning My Ears
We had an interesting experience using our DVC discount on our past trip and wondering if anyone else has had the same. Previously all had APs so everyone had access to the discounts but without APs this time utilized the DVC member discount. I am the card (digital) holder so I was always there when redeeming at payment. The entire trip I presented my card, some asked for ID others did not. On our last night at the Christmas shop I presented my card for my aunt who was with us and was told that only I could use the discount. No big deal. I stepped in to make the purchase. My aunt handed me her money and then the cast member said he could not see an exchange of funds. He then said however we settle up outside of the transaction is up to us but he could not witness it. So I then paid with my card. I am fine following the rules and I am sure this cast member was doing the right thing checking ID and only allowing the deed holder to get the discount but this was the only location that this happened over our 10 day trip and we used my discount at most shops on property. Wish there was consistency across property when applying the discount but it seems redundant to not allow it when the person with you can just reimburse you anyway. Just adding an extra step for the guest and if it is allowed or not it will be done. Curious to others opinions and experiences.

He is technically correct, but most CM's don't seem to care. Same applies to using the AP discount. I buy gift cards ahead of time and give it to either my family member who has an AP or a CM friend, they have the gift card when they go to the register. That way no cash is changing hands at time of purchase and they aren't putting it on their credit cards.

Its all the "rule" so you don't argue with the CM and simply move on or find the work around like you seemed to.

The whole stupid ID requirement has to be the dumbest technicality in all of Disney. Only had it enforced once last trip at AK. So we just left what we would have purchased behind and moved on.

If they want to control it that closely then just put in a tap/fingerprint spot at checkout or make me supply a picture to DME and have that pop up at the checkout.

Heck they could also just see in the parks if that AP/DVC was used to enter the park that day as well so you couldn't just give it out randomly and they at least know you are in the parks.

I never carry my wallet or anything other than my phone when at Disney and the ID enforcement just saves me money on vacation in the end by not getting something.

Its all the "rule" so you don't argue with the CM and simply move on or find the work around like you seemed to.

The whole stupid ID requirement has to be the dumbest technicality in all of Disney. Only had it enforced once last trip at AK. So we just left what we would have purchased behind and moved on.

If they want to control it that closely then just put in a tap/fingerprint spot at checkout or make me supply a picture to DME and have that pop up at the checkout.

Heck they could also just see in the parks if that AP/DVC was used to enter the park that day as well so you couldn't just give it out randomly and they at least know you are in the parks.

I never carry my wallet or anything other than my phone when at Disney and the ID enforcement just saves me money on vacation in the end by not getting something.
I don't disagree with you!

They do this for the "personal shopper" people who use the AP discount for randos. They are more aggressive about these rules for that popular merch or these people who shop as pros.

It's possible you were buying that kind of stuff or in a location like that.

I've never been IDed on my AP discount. But I've never bought anything like a Figment bucket or something.

I’m probably the only person at WDW who automatically gives the CM my AP card and drivers license when I’m asking for a discount. Never thought to do it any other way. LOL

I’m probably the only person at WDW who automatically gives the CM my AP card and drivers license when I’m asking for a discount. Never thought to do it any other way. LOL
Now they want to see the ticket within the MDE app (vs your physical card) for the AP discount as it has an expiration date on it....

FYI... the CM will be written up if not fired if a supervisor sees the cm allow the person to handle the member, AP, and cm money.
It may sound silly BUT don't put the CM in that position.

Now they want to see the ticket within the MDE app (vs your physical card) for the AP discount as it has an expiration date on it....
Got a new AP discount card when I activated my renewal in Dec. It has 2022-2023 on the back. I’ve never been asked for the digital, though I could certainly pull it up with my DVC credential, as well.

It takes a few seconds, so I don’t think of it as a big deal.

Got a new AP discount card when I activated my renewal in Dec. It has 2022-2023 on the back. I’ve never been asked for the digital, though I could certainly pull it up with my DVC credential, as well.

It takes a few seconds, so I don’t think of it as a big deal.
Agree it isn’t a big deal. What I find odd is for DVC they use MagicMobile and for AP they want the ticket in mde (even though AP affiliation is shown in MagicMobile).

Agree it isn’t a big deal. What I find odd is for DVC they use MagicMobile and for AP they want the ticket in mde (even though AP affiliation is shown in MagicMobile).
Funny story...
In October 2022, I was dining at Steakhouse 71 with our traveling party of 6, which included myself and my daughter and my friend's family of 4. I have the "DVC Y" notation and told the server that my daughter and I would be on one tab and the others would be on a separate check so that I could have the discount. Our check was split (the 18% gratuity was automatically added to both) and when she verified my "DVC Y", she looked at it and said "I see you are AP also. Would you like to apply that discount to your friend's check?" Um.....well...you see, I have not had an AP since 2018! I have NO idea why that is noted on there! I told her that and she said, "Well, it's there, so I can give it to you!" Obviously, consistency is an issue, but I don't know why I have ANNUAL listed on my MyMagicMobile, but I definitely do NOT have an AP.

In the old, original paperwork from the 1990s, didn't say that family members and guests, staying in the same room, would receive the same perks as the member? I seem to remember that.
ALthough, I'm older now, and my memory is still good, but not what it used to be.

In the old, original paperwork from the 1990s, didn't say that family members and guests, staying in the same room, would receive the same perks as the member? I seem to remember that.
ALthough, I'm older now, and my memory is still good, but not what it used to be.
I've been trying to find it in writing, but I believe the DVC dining discount card is good for up to 4 people in your group. There have been times we've seen in enforced and other times they just do the entire check. We've already had the check divided in 2, and got one discounted on my card and the other discounted on another card at the table. Just like the CMs in the stores, it's not always consistent, but it is policy.

I remember something along these lines as well!

Does your state have the real ID “wallet”? I live in Louisiana and we have digital ids, health care card, hunting/fishing license and conceal carry permits all in the digital wallet.
I don’t think most out of state airports accept the digital ids yet but it will be awesome when they do.

I see you are AP also. Would you like to apply that discount to your friend's check?" Um.....well...you see, I have not had an AP since 2018! I have NO idea why that is noted on there! I told her that and she said, "Well, it's there, so I can give it to you!" Obviously, consistency is an issue, but I don't know why I have ANNUAL listed on my MyMagicMobile, but I definitely do NOT have an AP.
when i renewed my AP today :banana:, the CM reminded me to link it to my apple wallet once the existing AP expired. He said that the expiry date won’t automatically update, even with a renewal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter