US/IOA in one day with very small children?

Lucky'sMom

DIS Veteran
Our kids will be 5 1/2, 3 1/2 and 13 months. If we are primarily doing the kiddie rides/attractions, and also take an afternoon nap, will we have time do both parks? I was planning on spending 2 days here (staying on-site) but now am wondering if there is enough to do with kids these ages for 2 days (including down-time at the hotel in the afternoon). DH and I would like to baby swap for a few rides, but hope to come back later in the year alone, so don't have to ride all the grown-up stuff right now. Thanks!

I went in July with my 5 year old daughter. We did do both parks in one day. It was fairly easy to do because of missing the "major" rides she was too small to ride. We started @ IOA as soon as they opened. (Suess Landing is a mustif your children enjoy those stories!) We used the fast pass, walked clockwise through the park and then headed over to Universal about 12:30 after we had eaten. I have been to Universal before which helped because I was more familiar with the layout, enabling us to hop quickly from attraction to attraction. If she liked something, we would do it more than one time. Then, we finished about 6:30-7:00. We grabbed something to eat and she wanted to re-visit Seuss Landing, so we hopped back over to IOA.(We had the two day/two park passes, but only used one day-saving the other for the next trip.) There were really things in both parks that she enjoyed alot, and it would be hard to pick either or. We left @ 9:00pm and did not stay for the fireworks because we were really pooped. If you are staying onsite, it would make it easier to rest mid-day. With the younger ones, you can do both parks in one day, because you are missing the "main" rides that usually have long waits. But, you have to also factor in that you have 3 children and I only had one, so that made it much easier, I'm sure! Good Luck!

We went to USF last year when our Daughters were 1 and 4. We probably only hit 20-25% of the attractions but we were surprised that the few attractions targeting young children could occupy the whole day.

There are two shows/rides, Barney show and a cartoon ride that are very good for small children, plus they have an interactive room after the ride/show that kids could spend hours in.

They also have a structure with multiple air guns and cannons that shoot nerf type balls and a Curious George themed water playground, both of which kids could spend hours in.

There is an animal actors show appropriate for kids. Plus there is ET ride which we didn't do because older DD didn't like the atmosphere and a Fievel themed playground that we didn't go into mostly because we ran out of time.

All-in-all, it was a very enjoyable day for our kids. You would have to weigh the limited number of attractions targeting small children with the amount of time your kids would spend at each attraction.

My question: Is there enough special attractions targeting small children to bring in a 2 and 5 yo to IOA for a day.

Thanks,
:) :)

Originally posted by M&M's Daddy

They also have a structure with multiple air guns and cannons that shoot nerf type balls and a Curious George themed water playground, both of which kids could spend hours in.

My question: Is there enough special attractions targeting small children to bring in a 2 and 5 yo to IOA for a day.

Thanks,
:) :) [/B]

the structure with the nerf balls is great for adults as well. there are so many nerf balls around that you can sit on a bench against the outer wall and pickup any balls that come your way. you can then throw them at other adults. it hits them and you are just sitting there non-chalantley while they are looking around for the source.

IOA has toon land and suessland and the lower level of the dino discoverey building in jurassic park, me ship olive, storm force, flying unicorn. :smooth:

In the Curious George area my almost 11yo son loved the nerf ball area. My 7yo loved shooting targets with the big water gun so that the water would pour over the opponents (if you've been there you know what I mean). My 20 month old son loved all the ways to get wet. My 13yo daughter loved to complain about how hot and tired she was watching her brothers play and how she just wanted to go back to Men in Black!

We did both parks with a 7 and 9 year old in one day, and only skipped a few attractions (the coasters and the wet rides, and Twister). We did not get to tour Nickelodeon, which I think the kids would have enjoyed. Still, I felt that we had done enough. I liked Islands of Adventure, but I don't think you would want to spend all day there with very small kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter