Upgrade fail

Add me to the list of horror stories as far as upgrading to AP. We bought tix from Undercover Tourist and went to guest relations at MK. I figured someone in plaid would have no problem but she flat out refused to bridge the price. When we said no thanks she said she would get her supervisor. When the supervisor came out she said there is no such thing as a price bridge but as a courtesy they would upgrade at the bridged price. Such a pain.

Add me to the list of horror stories as far as upgrading to AP. We bought tix from Undercover Tourist and went to guest relations at MK. I figured someone in plaid would have no problem but she flat out refused to bridge the price. When we said no thanks she said she would get her supervisor. When the supervisor came out she said there is no such thing as a price bridge but as a courtesy they would upgrade at the bridged price. Such a pain.
Classic! "Bridging doesn't exist and it can't be done. . . . but just this once, I'll do it for you special"

What is with all the weird posts on this thread? It's like reading something from the bizarro world. Price bridging has been around since the dawn of time & is not against the rules. Also, everyone on this board knows more than phone CMs.
It's not so much about what we know. It's about finding a CM who has the knowledge and experience to do it for you. I knew what my upgrade was supposed to be, but both the CM and supervisor held firm at the 65.00 PP, so I didn't do it. It wasn't that big a deal. I just went elsewhere.

OP here. Just to update I went to MK guest services today and had absolutely no issues at all bridging and upgrading to APs! I simply told the girl I wanted to upgrade my 8 day PHs to Platinum APs. She scanned my bands and was even kind enough to apologize for taking so long as she was doing something in the computer so that I would receive full current value and not have to pay more due to my having paid military discount prices. I didn't even have to ask and the price she quoted me was just what I expected. What a relief! Thanks to @ravenclawtrekkie and all the others who offered advice and support. It was helpful to be armed with knowledge. The price quoted me yesterday st DHS was a full $500 more! Whew!

Bridge is for discounted tickets or tickets purchased before a price upgrade. Package tickets do not need to be bridged they are just upgraded. You will receive the credit of a 7 day ticket towards your upgrade to an AP. Just know before hand what the difference should cost you so you can be sure you paid the right price. I think that is just being a good consumer and not 100% necessary.
That's inaccurate. Package tickets still need to be bridged.

Is there some meaning behind the term "bridge" that many of you all are using, that I don't understand?

We're visiting WDW in December. We've already paid for our package, which included 7 days of park tickets, purchased right on the Disney web site. I was under the impression that we would be able to upgrade to APs while we were there and have the cost of the tickets deducted from our AP cost -- I thought this was a no-brainer. It's not? Or does "bridging" mean something else?

(Sorry. Confused.)
Think of it this way: Disney's ticketing department knows how much they sold the ticket for. If you purchase it directly from them (not as part of a package), then they know exactly how much credit to give you. But if you bought the ticket from someone else, either a third party or Disney's travel department, then they don't know how much you paid for the ticket. See, they know what they charged that third party (and their own travel department is a third party since it's a separate business unit), but they don't know how much you paid that business for the ticket. Now, would it be fair to only give you credit for how much they originally charged some unrelated business? Of course not. So, they "bridge" the ticket. "Bridging" is the process of bringing the ticket's value up from the price they charged to the current posted price for that same ticket. If they're charging more for the ticket than it cost when you bought it, you avoid the price increase. When buying discounted tickets, the bridging process locks in your savings.

That's inaccurate. Package tickets still need to be bridged.

Don't package tickets that are upgradable just automatically show up as full price tickets though or does it show as a 0 value and that is why it needs to be bridged? I just thought that even though they are "third party" they just auto show up as price for those tickets as if they were bought today.

The price quoted me yesterday st DHS was a full $500 more! Whew!
On July 12 at MK Guest Relations I tried to upgrade to a Platinum AP. I left in tears of frustration after standing for nearly TWO hours. The CM ultimately wouldn't sell the AP to me because I couldn't verify my address. My address didn't match the address Disney had for me. Yeah, right. Later, I learned he was looking at the address for the Contemporary. Nope, don't live there. Anyway, the next day, at the same location, a different CM charged me a FULL $568 less. That's just crazy!

Don't package tickets that are upgradable just automatically show up as full price tickets though or does it show as a 0 value and that is why it needs to be bridged? I just thought that even though they are "third party" they just auto show up as price for those tickets as if they were bought today.

Package tickets are considered "discounted" tickets.

That's because they come from a pool of tickets that are purchased (internally) by the resorts division of WDW from the WDW ticketing department.
That normally does't mean a lot to the guest.
But, if there was a ticket price increase between the time the package ticket was purchased and the date that the guest
wants to upgrade the ticket, the CM at the ticket booth or Guest Relations CAN price-bridge the package ticket to the new, higher price
and then do the upgrade, saving the guest a bit of money.

That is DIFFERENT than a ticket simply ordered directly from Disney (no resort package involved) or purchased at a WDW ticket booth.
THESE tickets are NOT price-bridged, and so they can't compensate for an interim price increase.

I am going to GUESS that the last bit of info I posted is why the DHS ticket CMs gave the OP so much trouble by saying that "We don't do that (price bridging) anymore."
The procedure of not price bridging direct-purchased tickets is, in fact, rather new (couple of years) and IS a CHANGE from previous procedure. If the ticket CMs were not carefully trained and specifically informed, they likely have mistakenly thought that the "no price bridge" policy was for ALL tickets and not just for tickets bought directly from Disney.

(Either that, or they were just being jerks. ;) )

Last edited:
Package tickets are considered "discounted" tickets.

That's because they come from a pool of tickets that are purchased (internally) by the resorts division of WDW from the ticketing department.
That normally does't mean a lot to the guest.
But, if there was a ticket price increase between the time the package ticket was purchased and the date that the guest
wants to upgrade the ticket, the CM at the ticket booth or Guest Relations CAN price-bridge the package ticket to the new, higher price
and then do the upgrade, saving the guest a bit of money.

That is DIFFERENT than a ticket simply ordered directly from Disney (no resort package involved) or purchased at a WDW ticket booth.
THESE tickets are NOT price-bridged, and so they can't compensate for an interim price increase.

Thanks for the break down Robo. Makes total sense now that you explained why. Seems like Disney kind of over complicates thing but that isn't anything new haha. I was shocked to find out that even though runDisney is Disney they treat all bookings and tickets as conevntion bookings/tickets. Found out the hard way when I wanted to add water parks and more and the concerige CM at Poly said "that'll be $500 small pause that isn't right at all let me get my manager". At least he was nice and tried to get me the regular upgrade price and was so sorry when he couldn't.

Guest Services at Epcot price-bridged my Park Savers tickets last month. Worked like a charm! In and out in 15 minutes! I guess the CM "broke the rules", LOL! :rolleyes1

Which Epcot guest services did that for you? Main entrance or International Gateway? I'm planning on upgrading our Park Savers 7-day PHs next week to APs and we're staying at YC. Many thanks!

Which Epcot guest services did that for you? Main entrance or International Gateway? I'm planning on upgrading our Park Savers 7-day PHs next week to APs and we're staying at YC. Many thanks!

I'll be doing this this Friday! Checking into YC then going to Epcot with my Park Saver 7 day PH tickets to renew my AP. Hoping to not have any issues at the International Gateway!

Does anyone know if I have to say "I want to price bridge my tickets" or can I just say I have a 7 day PH ticket linked to my account that I would like to apply to renewing my AP? Just want to make sure I use the right lingo doing this! Thank You!

Last edited:
ugh reading these makes me have anxiety about doing it in a few weeks!! Do I have to USE the ticket before asking to upgrade to AP? We are planning on doing 8dPH tickets to DVC Gold pass... I just want to be prepared!!!

ugh reading these makes me have anxiety about doing it in a few weeks!! Do I have to USE the ticket before asking to upgrade to AP? We are planning on doing 8dPH tickets to DVC Gold pass... I just want to be prepared!!!
No, just know your numbers (what it should cost) and be prepared to walk away and try another window if the cm gives you the wrong number

I'll be doing this this Friday! Checking into YC then going to Epcot with my Park Saver 7 day PH tickets to renew my AP. Hoping to not have any issues at the International Gateway!

Does anyone know if I have to say "I want to price bridge my tickets" or can I just say I have a 7 day PH ticket linked to my account that I would like to apply to renewing my AP? Just want to make sure I use the right lingo doing this! Thank You!
I don't believe the terminology should matter though I would probably say the second. Just know how much it should be and be prepared to either ask them to check their numbers, ask for a supervisor or walk away.

TLS covered it, and I would add The first rule of price bridging is: you do not talk about price bridging. :rolleyes1 That's just asking for trouble. Just say that you want to upgrade your tickets. Do your homework and know in advance how much they should charge you (the difference between the full gate value of your ticket and the pass you're buying.) And if the CM tells you a higher price than you calculated, just walk away and attempt the transaction at another guest services window.

TLS covered it, and I would add The first rule of price bridging is: you do not talk about price bridging. :rolleyes1 That's just asking for trouble. Just say that you want to upgrade your tickets. Do your homework and know in advance how much they should charge you (the difference between the full gate value of your ticket and the pass you're buying.) And if the CM tells you a higher price than you calculated, just walk away and attempt the transaction at another guest services window.

Perfect! That's what I plan to do! Thank you! I was hoping I didn't have to say anything fancy!

keeping up on all this, our plan still is to upgrade our 7day park hoppers to Ap's on april 17 or 18... nervous about where to do it with the least amount of confusion. cause who wants to waste vacation time trying window after window in different locations and parks!! ughhh

Hi all

We were thinking about price bridging some tickets next year to dvc annual passes-the thing that everyone seems to be saying is 'do your homework and know what you should pay' however I'm slightly confused as to how to work it all out can anyone give me some simple examples to help?! Also does anyone know if the UK discount 14 day ticket is open to price bridging? And if so how much is the 14 day ticket worth?!? The ticket is a 14 day park hopper with water park fun and more plus memory maker. We would be looking at the DVC gold annual pass (no interest in using the water park + options) I know we can only upgrade if we do not use this feature of the ticket! We are from the UK-I asked on the UK board about a month ago but no one seemed to know!

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter