Universal buys 100 acres of land

Different strokes for different folks. You and I are pretty different. I'm probably in the minority and for most they probably wouldn't want to live there. But I've thought about it a lot over the past 2-3 years and really hope to make the move eventually.

I think our "differences" are that I have lived there and it seems you have not.

I would like a less "touristy" feel in a coastal area of Florida - gulf coast by preference - much more than Orlando...where the "fun" atmosphere fades and loses its bite if it becomes background scenery.

I think our "differences" are that I have lived there and it seems you have not.

I would like a less "touristy" feel in a coastal area of Florida - gulf coast by preference - much more than Orlando...where the "fun" atmosphere fades and loses its bite if it becomes background scenery.

All that means is you know that you don't like it, which is not really surprising. There are obviously people who live there by choice and enjoy it. They may be in the minority, but I already acknowledged that. I've never really cared for the beach or other destinations where relaxing is the main appeal. I'm also never been a nightlife/bar scene kind of person. So my idea of living somewhere with fun things to do are places with lots of touristy things. I'm sure there are plenty of people move there thinking they will love it and find that it gets old after a while. I genuinely don't think that would be the case for myself, especially since I don't see it as a lifelong move most likely, and probably only 3-5 years.

All that means is you know that you don't like it, which is not really surprising. There are obviously people who live there by choice and enjoy it. They may be in the minority, but I already acknowledged that. I've never really cared for the beach or other destinations where relaxing is the main appeal. I'm also never been a nightlife/bar scene kind of person. So my idea of living somewhere with fun things to do are places with lots of touristy things. I'm sure there are plenty of people move there thinking they will love it and find that it gets old after a while. I genuinely don't think that would be the case for myself, especially since I don't see it as a lifelong move most likely, and probably only 3-5 years.

All that means is that I'm being lectured about my personal experience from...Harrisburg? Buffalo? Hartford?

Where was it again?

And I lived there 3 years, by the way...so your "difference" supported my point.

Last edited:
I tried to see where it is along with the other properties they have (Wet N Wild and the other small part of land they acquired near it) to also see how the new land could be connected to the old (via monorail or something)

With this new land, it's pretty much a straight shot along Kirkman Rd. That road runs from the left corner of your orange "New Property" marker straight up the map to current parks/hotels. I'd guess that connecting these two point would be much fairly easy. Kirkman is a divided road with a median. Provided the soil is okay, placing pylons to support a monorail/light rail line (probably) wouldn't require private property owners to sign off.

Random Info: Disney has hundreds of Cast Members that work in an office park right near this newly purchased property. That's where I used to work.

I will give you that. I'm dying to get back to Florida, but I was in Tampa which I loved. I would like Orlando as well, but my pref would be a coast. But anyways, this should be interesting to see where they are going.

I will give you that. I'm dying to get back to Florida, but I was in Tampa which I loved. I would like Orlando as well, but my pref would be a coast. But anyways, this should be interesting to see where they are going.

We just moved back to FL from Nashville. While I loved fall, I hated winter. Icy roads?! I'm glad to be back where 40 will be the lowest it gets, and thats at 3AM on January 13th.

Don't move to Orlando. Grew up in central FL. Worse road system in the nation. You have two options (unless the new traffic upgrades fix all this): sit on I4 even on a Sunday at 2PM, or take 12 tolls roads and pay $10 to get where you want to go. Oh, and pay for private school.....

Back on topic, I'm excited about the possibilities here for UNI. They really need a third gate to fully compete with WDW. With 2 parks, just can't spend a week there. With 3 strong parks, they are moving in the right direction.

I don't know if Comcast is ready/willing to take the jump and double the complex...which is what we're talking about here.

The advantage to that is they can do investment before they get really crushed by declining cable revenues...which is already starting.

I love it either way...because that POS disney board can't sit on their hands and do nothing...which is all they want to do...just bleed it.

More darts chucked toward Burbank...I say...

And I love Dunedin all the way down to Sarasota...that's my "strip" I would relocate to...

I don't know if Comcast is ready/willing to take the jump and double the complex...which is what we're talking about here.

The advantage to that is they can do investment before they get really crushed by declining cable revenues...which is already starting.

I love it either way...because that POS disney board can't sit on their hands and do nothing...which is all they want to do...just bleed it.

More darts chucked toward Burbank...I say...

And I love Dunedin all the way down to Sarasota...that's my "strip" I would relocate to...

Comcast has the benefit though that as cable goes out, they can charge more for internet and recoup some revenues.

Comcast has the benefit though that as cable goes out, they can charge more for internet and recoup some revenues.

Very true...

But they are huge with high overhead - just like Disney - and in that setting it's hard to make enough profit from
One unit to compensate when another sinks...

Maybe in another 15-20 years when the current parks are maxed out, they announce a 5th gate otherwise I don think Disney intend to in the near future

I don't see a 5th park because it would simply cannibalize the parks they already have open. There isn't enough time in a standard week long American vacation to cover WDW now. Opening a 5th park would just make that worse. There is a huge need to devote the capital budget to maintaining, refreshing, re-theming, and expanding the current parks. Each of which has fading attractions and will draw big crowds to return over and over if they only provided one or two decent reasons on a regular basis.

For example, if WDW would consistently add an attraction and refresh, rebuild or re-theme an attraction, at each park, every 3 or 4 years, they would be in better shape than opening another park. Plus it would give them the capacity to keep up and that would allow them to take attractions down for much needed repair and rebuilding (Space Mountain, Imagination, Indiana Jones Show, and Yeti for example). The staffing needs would only grow slowly, and again I maintain Disney has no problems getting staff, they have huge problems retaining staff due to wage, scheduling, and benefits, and the parks would be in a consistent state of refreshment and improvement.

MK has space for expansion if you push out past the tracks or expand the track loop. EPCOT has acres of space everywhere. DHS is a bit tighter, but if you went behind RnRC you have lots of land, though Cypress Drive might need to be re-routed. And AK might be worse than EPCOT for acres between attractions. So the existing parks are all you need. You just have to invest in attractions, something Disney is just starting to do again after a much too long, and irresponsible, lay off.

I'm not talking about adding a themed, immersive land every 2 years. I'm talking about a new C/D/E type most of the time. Maybe once a decade you add a whole new land in addition to the rest. But continuous investment is the needed option. Not a new gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter