Universal buys 100 acres of land

Looking at a map, does anyone know where this parcel actually is? Sand Lake Road does not connect to any developed Universal property, at least as far as I know. It is about a mile, as the crow flies, from CityWalk and on the other side of I4 somewhere in the triangle between the Turnpike and I4. I'm guessing more toward the Turnpike on the far side of the Lockheed Martin property?

*** My own update ***
Ok. It adds to the 475 acres they bought early in 2016. So yeah, next to Lockheed Martin on the far side of Sand Lake from their other properties. But I also see how it gives them good access to that new parcel. Seems like there is more land there that can be bought if they have the will. Definitely looks like a new gate given the size and position. Wonder how long it will be before a concept is floated.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...l-orlando-resortscoops-up-100.html#g/423200/3

A good map.

Have I mentioned how excited I am? Come on Universal! Even a hint would be nice.

Since Pooh becomes public domain in 2021, I sincerely hope that Universal needles Disney at least a bit and leaks this as "Project Hundred Acre Wood" (not an actual Winnie the Pooh theme park, though - because who wants that?).

I really need to pick up an move to Orlando. The next 5 years or so are going to be a lot of fun in the theme park world.
....and non stop construction.
It would be cool to see all the new stuff, but the already poor traffic isn't likely to be any better the next few years.
I think I'm in the "it's a nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there" boat.

Since Pooh becomes public domain in 2021, I sincerely hope that Universal needles Disney at least a bit and leaks this as "Project Hundred Acre Wood" (not an actual Winnie the Pooh theme park, though - because who wants that?).

2026, Pooh wasn't a "work for hire," so it's 70 years after A.A. Milne's passing. But Disney will have successfully lobbied for an extension long before then.

2026, Pooh wasn't a "work for hire," so it's 70 years after A.A. Milne's passing. But Disney will have successfully lobbied for an extension long before then.
Nope - that standard applies to works created on or after January 1, 1978. The first collection of Winnie the Pooh stories was published in 1926. Current copyright term (thanks to several extensions to help his pal, Mickey) for works published before 1978 is 95 years from first publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter (subject to a number of issues regarding renewals and protection secured prior to 1978). That puts the date in 2021. IIRC, there was discussion at the time of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act that, while the legislation was focused on extending copyright protection for Mickey, the immediate beneficiary was Pooh (who was set to move into public domain in late 2001 and before Mickey). Since the Sonny Bono Act added 20 years, that also puts us in 2021 (Mickey is up in 2024).

I agree though that we'll see another extension (or at least a very big fight for one) in the next couple of years. Even then, there's still an argument about what exactly becomes public domain - Disney still has many trademarks and other IP that's protected based on the property. Whatever happens, I'll have a lot more fun during that time speculating about what's going on with this huge Universal parcel.

Can’t we just get Nintendo first? Going in three weeks, thought next time would be when Nintendo opens but had the chance to go again so I bit and I want to do my favorites and what’s rumored to close (apparently there’s a lot on the chopping block)

And yes it will probably be a screen filled theme park. Last time they did a good screen ride was transformers, ironically the third one they ever did. Now they’re all cookie cutter

Looking at a map, does anyone know where this parcel actually is? ........

*** My own update ***
Ok. It adds to the 475 acres they bought early in 2016. So yeah, next to Lockheed Martin on the far side of Sand Lake from their other properties. But I also see how it gives them good access to that new parcel. Seems like there is more land there that can be bought if they have the will. Definitely looks like a new gate given the size and position. Wonder how long it will be before a concept is floated.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...l-orlando-resortscoops-up-100.html#g/423200/3

A good map.

And therein lies the importance of this purchase. It gives them a long frontage on Sand Lake Road that they did not have before.

Add that to the permit just filed to build 2400 parking spaces south of the larger property by the Convention Center says we may finally see some movement on this.

Looking at a map, does anyone know where this parcel actually is? Sand Lake Road does not connect to any developed Universal property, at least as far as I know. It is about a mile, as the crow flies, from CityWalk and on the other side of I4 somewhere in the triangle between the Turnpike and I4. I'm guessing more toward the Turnpike on the far side of the Lockheed Martin property?

*** My own update ***

A good map.

I tried to see where it is along with the other properties they have (Wet N Wild and the other small part of land they acquired near it) to also see how the new land could be connected to the old (via monorail or something)

This is super rough, probably missing stuff, and probably just wrong in spots, but I think it gives an idea:
Universal Land.jpg

It's not as much fun when you live there...especially when you see Christmas lights wrapped around the palmetto trees..

I really struggled with this when I lived in South Florida. That and the stupid blow up Santa's where he is dressed for the North Pole. He would have had heat stroke. I love my seasons. It's tough to live in FL unless you like your weather hot and hotter with a dash of 60 degree days in Jan and Feb when the little old ladies break out their furs from before they moved to FL.

It's not as much fun when you live there...especially when you see Christmas lights wrapped around the palmetto trees..

Different strokes for different folks. You and I are pretty different. I'm probably in the minority and for most they probably wouldn't want to live there. But I've thought about it a lot over the past 2-3 years and really hope to make the move eventually.

Oh man, Super Nintendo world is coming, and I am going to start adding Universal to my trips for the first time in decades.

Based on leaked docs, Nintendo World is going in space by ET where the Fivel/Woody/Animal actors stage is currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!