Unback From DLP

<<The Squid is dry with a sheet of water in the glass between it and the AA. This was the prototype for the wet for dry show scenes at Tokyo Disney Sea's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.>>

Awww man that's the coolest, wish they had a documentary about it as I've always wondered how it worked. Brilliant!

<<Do you mean Poseidon's Fury ??>>

That's the one! Man that was brilliant.

tom

Question for you Trey. I am in total agreement with your off site hotel advice for DL, as long as you stay in walking distance. Now at WDW we prefer to stay onsite because of the transportation factor. How would you rate staying onsite at DLP? I know you said you prefer the HI over NBC. I'm interested in hearing your impression of SF. That's where I was considering purely because of the cost factor.

By staying at the HI, I would lose out on the GMF breakfast. Is the quality of the HI so much better that I could afford to lose the GMF. Of course we'd still be at the parks right at opening. We tour much like you do, with getting there early, maxmizing fastpass, etc.
Well, with only one trip to DLP (two days down with one to go tomorrow) I need to be careful about giving advice about anything. I am a neophyte here. With that said, here is some feedback:

1. DLP started doing EMH I believe in April. It is only for DLP and not WDS, and is either two hours in the morning or two in the evening. I had only one EMH and it was in the evening. It was not very crowded this week and I was ready to leave at 7PM (when regualr hours ended) but felt compelled to stay and use the one EMH I had on Monday night. But this week it was not necessary. So the value of EMH was low for me in retrospect.

2. The GMFL is only for certain DLP hotels - can't remember which - and that is valuable because you need to eat anyways and might as well do it in the park. Got to ride PP as many times as I wanted (three in all) and the only other option was Dumbo which I passed on :sad2: . So GMFL had value but I am not sure it was enough to justify the expense of a DLP hotel. Plus they only had PP and Dumbo open for rides, which are good ones to ride during GMFL (as they get so long later in the day) but are nevertheless a very limited selection.

3. The NBC was about a 5 minute walk to Disney Village, and then from there a 5 minute walk to DLP or WDS. The Disneyland Hotel is right there with zero walk, and the New York and Sequoia are right around the lake and 5 minutes max walk. That has some value.

4. As I understand it the Santa Fe (where I will be tomorrow night for one night) and Cheyenne have no air conditioning, and are designed more for families. The family part would be good for me if I had my kids with me, but since I was solo SF and Cheyenne were not top choices, especially without the A/C and it being June here.

I did not want to do NBC again on the final day (good choice in retrospect) and the choice was between SF and Cheyenne. So I chose SF.

One thing I wish I knew then is that the NBC gave me three day tix good for a whole week. I only used two days. So I could have used the tix from NBC tomorrow and stayed at the HI and not been forced to buy any more tix. But I did not know this and thought the three day tix were for consecutive days. So I got a night at the SF which included a two day ticket. So I paid for five park days but can only use three. :sad1:

In hindsight I would just have gone to the HI as I like it here.

5. The HI is a quick bus trip to the train station right next to the DLP entrance. I took the "pink bus" from the HI to the train station yesterday morning to catch the RER into Paris. The bus was timely and fast. Then when I returned from Paris this evening by train I took the pink bus back to the HI and that was fast.

6. The only remaining difference is the immersion factor and at the NBC I felt zero immersion. Have no idea what the other Disney hotels are like here. Will know abut the Santa Fe tomorrow night.

On the map it looked like the HI might be walking distance but it really isn't. My guess is that it is a good 20-25 minute walk from DLP to the HI.

One thing about HI to warn anyone about is luggage holding. At NBC they held my luggage by me checking it and giving it to the luggage porters and giving me a receipt. I have many gifts I have bought and was slightly concerned about that but it worked fine.

At the HI I left my luggage behind when I went into Paris and just took an overnight bag. Here they gave me a key and told me to leave my luggage in the luggage room. So I did that but there is no security on that as it is DIY and anyone walking in there could easily grab your luggage and walk away with it. When I returned from Paris this evening to the HI I retrieved my luggage intact (whew!) but noticed as I left the luggage room that the door lock was not even working properly and anyone could easily walk in there tonight with no key at all. Further, the luggage room is right next to the hotel exit door so it would be easy for someone to take all of the luggage out of there into a waiting car and drive off (I hope no thieves read the DIS and get any ideas!). So in conclusion I felt much more secure with my possesions left at the NBC than the HI.

7. This week maximizing FP would have limited value. There are no FP rides at WDS and even if there were there was no need for FP this week at that park. At DLP the only ride that I needed FP for was BTM. So I got four FPs in all on day 1 - one for Space and three for BTM. With the 30 minute windows and reputation for strict window enforcement that made FP collection very difficult. For example, I got a ticket for the Lion King show at 11AM for the 12:30 show and then made my way to BTM. The FP window was something like 12:25-12:55 and would conflict with my Lion King show. So I rode POTC and Indiana Jones to let some time go by and them picked up the FPs for a window of something like 12:55-1:25 which worked with my Lion King show. When it is busier here I am sure FP is a godsend but nevertheless it is hard to maximize FP with the current FP policies.

Your posts are very informative HydroGuy :) .

I'd agree with your comments also about weighing up the value you get from a GMF and paying to stay at a Disney hotel to get a GMF. But it depends on what price you get quoted for the hotels doesn't it? I don't have any kind of annual pass for the Disney parks, but I'm pretty sure, for the price I've paid to stay at the Santa Fe for one adult and one child, plus park hopper tickets for 3 days, I couldn't have done it cheaper at an offsite hotel.

It pays to shop around eh :cheer2: ?

Elaine

Sorry to correct you but Rock and Roller Coaster and Flying Carpets are both FP rides
Well, I think you and I are both half right. They have FP machines at RnR but rarely (never?) turn them on anymore. They do have FP at the Flying Carpets and I forgot about that as I did not want to ride it.

Sounds like you got a broken train. The first Roller Coaster with Audio for Disney was Casey Jr at DLP. The second was DLP's Space Mountain with the wonderful orchestral score by Steve Bramson. RNRC was the 3rd. When Mission 2 launched, they broucht in a new Michael Gra? (Incredibles/Lost composer) to do the music and it is very similar to DL's/HKDL's. Try it again if you can.
That is the problem with a first time visitor like me in that I do not know what is normal. I rode Space twice and neither time was there any music. So I jumped to a false conclusion. There was the Aerosmith music on RnR which really makes the ride.

Even if there was music I did not enjoy Space Mtn. I have never gotten off a Disney coaster with shoulder restraints (like Space Mtn here and RnR or California Screamin in CA) and had my shoulders hurt. But on Space Mtn they did both times. Over at RnR they felt fine. There is something about Space Mtn here that does not appeal to me and so I will have to skip testing it again for the music. Someone else can test if the music is working... :)

hiya really enjoying your unback trip report ..........i have never considered the tarzan show before but i am really considering it now sounds really good especially as you say it is better than lion king .......do you think it would be suitable for my 5 and 3 year old kids they are not too keen in overly loud music etc and they were slightly scared in parts of the lion king bit they are slightly older than last time we were there any opinions graetly welcomed thanks
The music is not very loud and if they do not love it then it must be because their parents are doing something wrong. ;) Seriously I cannot imagine a 3 or 5 year old not loving the Tarzan show.

One thing I wish I knew then is that the NBC gave me three day tix good for a whole week. I only used two days. So I could have used the tix from NBC tomorrow and stayed at the HI and not been forced to buy any more tix. But I did not know this and thought the three day tix were for consecutive days. So I got a night at the SF which included a two day ticket. So I paid for five park days but can only use three. :sad1:

This happened to us before. We found someone on the ticket queue and gave them to them to save a bit of money. They were delighted and we wouldn't have got any good from them anyhow. Perhaps you could do this tommorow on your way in with the NBC ticket if you are feeling generous:goodvibes

I hope you are enjoying writing this as much as I am reading it, Trey! :thumbsup2

My ambition is to visit all of the Disney parks so I have saved your last link in my favourites, thanks! :goodvibes
You people here are the only ones who can appreciate what I am saying and experiencing! My wife in the US will care enough for a 20 second summary but will not care about the details. She likes the Disney parks more for the family being together than the Disney part itself. She will be much more interested in my experiences in Spain and the city of Paris than DLP. My kids will not have context and will also care enough for a quick summary. My friends in the US are not necessairly Disney fans. The people who care most are those on places like DIS, and it occurred to me when I woke up this morning that if I did not have the DIS DLP forum then I would have no one to tell what I think of DLP. So yes, I am enjoying writing up my thoughts.

When I arrived here I did not plan to write a running commentary. But now that I did I am glad because when I wrote down each night how I felt about the day that is more real than a trip report 1-2 weeks after the fact where the feelings have subsided. I still plan to write up something a little more formal in a trip report format when I return home. I also want to write up some kind of "Intro To DLP" thread that will likely be more geared to Americans or those who have some significant WDW or DLR experience and are considering a first trip to DLP.

I also want to write up some kind of "Intro To DLP" thread that will likely be more geared to Americans or those who have some significant WDW or DLR experience and are considering a first trip to DLP.

Yes please - that would be a great idea :goodvibes

Day 3 Summary…

To recap I spent Monday this week at DLP and Tuesday morning at DLP and the rest of Tuesday at WDS. I took two days in Paris and my final day at DLRP was today, Friday.

Last night I stayed at the nearby HI and this morning packed up and took the bus to Disney Village (bus came at about 9:20) and then caught another to Santa Fe (reached Santa Fe a little before 10AM which is when DLP opened today). They checked in my luggage and computer but were not able to get me a room. So I got my new two day park pass and upon entering DLP at 10:30-10:45 I tried to see if anyone wanted to buy a two day park pass. People were only interested in one day passes so after 2-3 minutes I gave up and headed into DLP.

It was an overcast day and we never did really see the sun. That takes some of the luster off the beautiful park.

I did most everything I wanted in DLP on Monday and early Tuesday so today I was very casual about touring and spent many hours just shopping. I had lunch at Walt’s and dinner at the Silver Spur.

I rode the Phantom Manor one more time (third time this week) to confirm that the phantom bridegroom does in fact shake the doombuggie at the end. He does. You can see his skeletal arms in the mirror reaching down around the doombuggie when it shakes.

Rode POTC one last time (fourth time this week) and BTM twice more with FP. Now that I have ridden the BTM at DLR California and WDW Florida I will give the edge to the BTM here in Paris. The ride around the island is just very cool. I like the BTM at WDW a little less and the least favorite is in California. But, they are all relatively close in quality of experience IMO so if someone else has a different opinion I will not argue with them. On the other hand, if someone else says that Fantasyland in Florida or California is better than DLP I will argue that one to the bitter end. The Fantasyland here is clearly much, much better.

I rode the DLRR halfway around the park Monday and today did the other half. I walked the Nautilus, the Aladdin story and the Swiss Family Treehouse, and spent more time just wandering around Fantasyland which is now my favorite part of DLP.

I saw Tarzan again and am now ready to go on record that it is the best Disney stage show I have ever seen at a Disney park. The second best would be Aladdin which currently runs at DCA in California. I could watch this show ten more times as unlike many other stage shows it has high repeat value.

Saw the Once Upon A Dream parade again from Main Street this time and got hooked on the music and so I bought the CD.

Today Frontierland was not so grating on my ears as Monday and I enjoyed it more. Guess I just got accustomed to my perceived culture clash.

I returned to the Santa Fe and confirmed they have no – as in zero – wireless. How can any hotel in today’s world not have Internet service of some kind? So I grabbed my laptop and went over to the New York Hotel and am at this moment sitting outside the NY near the lake and getting wireless from the NY.

The Santa Fe is obviously a value resort and a step down from the Newport. It does in fact have no air conditioning. But with the overcast skies it is relatively cool this evening so the missing A/C will not be very important.

One thing to note is that while DLP is more beautiful than DL in California or MK in Florida, it is not perfect. They have so many planters with flowers and trimmed bushes and trees that it appears they cannot keep up. I saw many, many weeds which marred the beautiful landscaping. On the Le Pays des Contes de Fées (similar to Storybookland Canal Boats in California) you could see weeds growing through some of the mini-trees. I cannot imagine one ever seeing that in California in Storybookland. Many of the shaped bushes, hedges and trees had branches sticking out in need of trimming. Also, the Mark Twain is peeling paint badly in some areas. So there is room for improvement here.

Finally DLP also has some problems with Disney Village. I did not mention this on Day 1 or 2 but on both days when I was walking through Disney Village in the morning on the way to the parks a large tractor drove past me. People were dodging the tractor as they made their way to the parks. There is no way anyone on Disney property should ever have to dodge a tractor when they are walking to the parks during regular hours. It just steals away whatever magic they are trying to create. If the tractors need to be there during the day then they must put up walls to at least give the illusion that the work is being done in privacy. I cannot imagine ever seeing that at DLR or WDW.

Well, I will write up a more formal trip report when I get home. I am flying out tomorrow at noon (taking VEA to the CDG airport at 8AM) and if all goes well I will be back at my home in Colorado by 9PM local time tomorrow night. And very tired.

Coincidentally I have another Disney trip this month to my home resort in California. That will be 3 ½ days with the whole family along and we will be at DLR in 2 ½ weeks.

Au revoir

Loved your live reports Trey. I'm looking forward to the full report.

I also can't wait for the day you make it to Tokyo Disney. Thier DisneySea park is stunning.

"On the other hand, if someone else says that Fantasyland in Florida or California is better than DLP I will argue that one to the bitter end. The Fantasyland here is clearly much, much better."

My god, who would argue that the waste of space WDW version is better? They clearly haven't been to DLP. But for me DL has a better FL than DLP. The theming is very similar, but DL has more attractions (Alice, Toad, Matterhorn etc.) and Storybookland is not hidden away. I also feel DL's is more cozy.

"I saw Tarzan again and am now ready to go on record that it is the best Disney stage show I have ever seen at a Disney park. The second best would be Aladdin which currently runs at DCA in California. I could watch this show ten more times as unlike many other stage shows it has high repeat value."

I agree, though I also like DLP's Lion King. Sadly, even the new Nemo show at WDW rates 4th in quality for us - 1. Tarzan, 2. Lion King DLP, 3. Aladdin, 4. Nemo

My gut tells me if you like Tarzan, you would have loved the Mulan show that ran in Videopolis in the late 90's early 2000's. The Chinese State Circus performers put on an awesome show based on the story of Mulan, and all told through a wonderful orchestrated score!

"I returned to the Santa Fe and confirmed they have no – as in zero – wireless. How can any hotel in today’s world not have Internet service of some kind?"

Welcome to Europe. Ispend 30% of my time in Hotels, and unless it's a 4* and up, it is very rare to have wireless.

Loved your live reports Trey. I'm looking forward to the full report.

I also can't wait for the day you make it to Tokyo Disney. Thier DisneySea park is stunning.
So I hear. I hope to get to TDL and TDS in the next year or two.

Welcome to Europe. Ispend 30% of my time in Hotels, and unless it's a 4* and up, it is very rare to have wireless.

Yeah I remember when I made a tip to WDW back in about 99 and some of the Florida locals were shocked when I told them we had to pay AOL £14.95 a month PLUS our national phone call costs while they were all on freephone numbers. Thank god things aren't like THAT anymore lol. That was expensive times.

tom

My god, who would argue that the waste of space WDW version is better? They clearly haven't been to DLP. But for me DL has a better FL than DLP. The theming is very similar, but DL has more attractions (Alice, Toad, Matterhorn etc.) and Storybookland is not hidden away. I also feel DL's is more cozy.
Well then we have an argument on our hands. ;)

I do love Fantasyland at DL, as the theming is very self-reinforcing and there are many rides including the Matterhorn.

But aside from the Matterhorn DLP has a fairly equal number of rides to DL I believe. And DL in California does not have a castle that comes anywhere close to DLP's, and the castle is part of Fantasyland. And at DL there is relatively little (compared to DLP) flowers, planters, water, etc.

I am flying out tomorrow at noon (taking VEA to the CDG airport at 8AM) and if all goes well I will be back at my home in Colorado by 9PM local time tomorrow night. And very tired.

Hope you have a safe journey home. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter