*UN*Official 20 Years of Dreams Event Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
because it's hanging down on a cable high up in the air...
true, the monorail's scary, but a gondola - that's nearly impossible for anyone with fear of heights...

I don’t have a fear of height but I feel a monorail wouldn’t be much different from gondola in terms of heights.

Oh poopies I only picked CBR as I was hedging my bets on it being open.

Might have to see about changing my reservation as I don’t fancy bussing it everywhere- wonder if I can change for BW or BC/YC.

**** UPDATE ****

Looks like the Bucket Crawl won't happen as Bob Chapeck just announced the Skyliner won't open until Fall of 2019 ... a bit surprising based on how far construction has come (they have already started testing some lines)

We'll have to figure out some other "crawl" type event

I think the delay is what to do with the people who pass out in the hot, humid summer in Florida with no air conditioning. :)

Just a heads up for the booking info post...we extended our stay by one day. Still at French Quarter, now 8/7-8/12. We’ll just have to bow plan Bucket List fun with no buckets:)

honestly not sure why it is taking them so long
I have no idea what all is involved in getting the system up and running from this point. I know they started the process of running cable this past weekend while we were there, starting at DHS. From what I understand, first they run a light wire and then use that to pull up the actual cables. Once those are up, they all need to be spliced together. And then I'm sure there's a bunch of testing and adjusting and safety checks and inspections and whatnot that has to happen before they can start running it with guests. It would have been nice to be able to check it out in August but it sounds like it will have to wait until the next visit.

I'm sure Disney wants it up and running before Galaxy's Edge opens to help move the crowds for that.

I have no idea what all is involved in getting the system up and running from this point. I know they started the process of running cable this past weekend while we were there, starting at DHS. From what I understand, first they run a light wire and then use that to pull up the actual cables. Once those are up, they all need to be spliced together. And then I'm sure there's a bunch of testing and adjusting and safety checks and inspections and whatnot that has to happen before they can start running it with guests. It would have been nice to be able to check it out in August but it sounds like it will have to wait until the next visit.

I'm sure Disney wants it up and running before Galaxy's Edge opens to help move the crowds for that.
Gondola systems typically go up very quick. Dopplemayr is an industry leader in this system and does these during the off season for ski resorts. Cables will be done by mid-late December. Testing will begin in January.

does these during the off season for ski resorts
To be fair, though, this system is far larger than your average ski lift at a resort. Plus, it's not being installed in a location that shuts down in the off season. They need to work around a very busy vacation complex. So I can understand it taking longer than that would. Still, if testing is on schedule to begin in January, I don't know what the delay is. Maybe they're concerned about testing it in all weather conditions, including the worst of the summer heat.

To be fair, though, this system is far larger than your average ski lift at a resort. Plus, it's not being installed in a location that shuts down in the off season. They need to work around a very busy vacation complex. So I can understand it taking longer than that would. Still, if testing is on schedule to begin in January, I don't know what the delay is. Maybe they're concerned about testing it in all weather conditions, including the worst of the summer heat.
I am not sure what the delay is but I don't think weather is the issue either. They have built these in warm climates as well.

I don’t have a fear of height but I feel a monorail wouldn’t be much different from gondola in terms of heights.

That’s because you don’t have a fear of heights :rotfl:. The monorail is on a concrete structure. A gondola is hanging down from a cable, swinging in the wind hanging by a thread...I’m freaking out just from thinking about it.

And from a none phobic perspective, the lack of AC in Orlando, in a theme park that has constant breakdowns, does seem potentially dangerous to me.

well i didn't say i wasn't afraid of the monorail - i am (and don't go on it very often)....
but as mickeymouseisking pointed out, on the monorail, the vehicle is sitting on top of a concrete structure, not hanging down from a thin little cable, swinging in the breeze (or hurricane?)....

as for building it without A/C, i think they're going to have a few heat stroke people in there before long..
i live in a very hot climate and no one would ever consider building something like that without a/c (and we do have similar things - all with a/c)....
they claim there will be a venting as it moves through the air....
really? it's not moving that fast and orlando isn't exactly breezy (except during hurricanes)...
and by the way, what happens at 4 pm every single day? i wouldn't want to be hanging in that thing when the afternoon sound and light show starts..

but don't get me started.... :scared1:

Last edited:
as for building it without A/C, i think they're going to have a few heat stroke people in there before long..
i live in a very hot climate and no one would ever consider building something like that without a/c (and we do have similar things - all with a/c)....
really? it's not moving that fast and orlando isn't exactly breezy (except during hurricanes)...
and by the way, what happens at 4 pm every single day? i wouldn't want to be hanging in that thing when the afternoon sound and light show starts..

I suggest some research on gondola systems. A/C in them is rare and needs a major power source. Some systems do charge the units as they pass through the station but it’s not that reliable.

Gondolas have been constructed in places with similar climates to Florida without A/C and worked just fine. @TheMaxRebo has ridden one in Hong Kong I believe and they can get pretty warm and that system does not have A/C.

You also won’t be in these for a long period of time. They will be moving at 11-12 MPH and constantly moving unlike a bus. If somewhere were to happen they have back up generators and the ability to manually pull you into the station so you won’t be stuck for hours or anything.

Lightning is a question but these can run no problem in rain and even moderate to high winds.

well i didn't say i wasn't afraid of the monorail - i am (and don't go on it very often)....
but as mickeymouseisking pointed out, on the monorail, the vehicle is sitting on top of a concrete structure, not hanging down from a thin little cable, swinging in the breeze (or hurricane?)....

I suggest some research on gondola systems. A/C in them is rare and needs a major power source. Some systems do charge the units as they pass through the station but it’s not that reliable.

Gondolas have been constructed in places with similar climates to Florida without A/C and worked just fine. @TheMaxRebo has ridden one in Hong Kong I believe and they can get pretty warm and that system does not have A/C.

You also won’t be in these for a long period of time. They will be moving at 11-12 MPH and constantly moving unlike a bus. If somewhere were to happen they have back up generators and the ability to manually pull you into the station so you won’t be stuck for hours or anything.

Lightning is a question but these can run no problem in rain and even moderate to high winds.

yes, i did ride one in Hong Kong - not as hot as Florida usually but just as humid and this was a rather long trip in the gondola - the ones at WDW won't be longer than like 5 minutes at a time

As for safety, gondola systems are very common in Switzerland and they did a study that found they were 3 times safer than trains

Obviously if anyone doesn't want to ride them/doesn't feel safe in them that is totally understandable and up to them .... I just have trouble thinking Disney didn't consider all the concerns people have raised here and other places before deciding to invest millions of dollars in the system

We may be out of luck for the Bucket crawl. I've read the Disney Skyliner should begin operation in the fall of 2019.

We may be out of luck for the Bucket crawl. I've read the Disney Skyliner should begin operation in the fall of 2019.

yeah, we were chatting about that above and I put a note in the post on the first page that this might now work

We have been discussing alternatives - thinking something that includes the Boardwalk with Abracadabar and Jelly Rolls could be fun ... or just a bar crawl around Disney Springs or around the Monorail Resorts ... or some combination (Starting at Disney Springs and going to the Boardwalk for example)

yes, i did ride one in Hong Kong - not as hot as Florida usually but just as humid and this was a rather long trip in the gondola - the ones at WDW won't be longer than like 5 minutes at a time

As for safety, gondola systems are very common in Switzerland and they did a study that found they were 3 times safer than trains

Obviously if anyone doesn't want to ride them/doesn't feel safe in them that is totally understandable and up to them .... I just have trouble thinking Disney didn't consider all the concerns people have raised here and other places before deciding to invest millions of dollars in the system

We rode the system on Lantau Island (in Hong Kong). It was hot in HK at the time, but neither of us gave much thought to the lack of A/C. The ride definitely wasn't unpleasant. I haven't compared average temps, but the 2 times I've been to HK felt hotter and more humid than even Orlando (if that's possible). The one thing I clearly remember in HK is the extremely long lines the gondola system had. We purchased the "Crystal Cab" to skip that line. I'm guessing at it's busiest the line to get on the regular gondolas would be over an hour. Just a guess.

yeah, we were chatting about that above and I put a note in the post on the first page that this might now work

We have been discussing alternatives - thinking something that includes the Boardwalk with Abracadabar and Jelly Rolls could be fun ... or just a bar crawl around Disney Springs or around the Monorail Resorts ... or some combination (Starting at Disney Springs and going to the Boardwalk for example)
thanks for the update. I'm flexible :)

I may change my reservation to the Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs since it sounds like that will open in July. Just waiting for pricing to be released.
We were just there last week and that building is huge. I'm sure it will be beautiful inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter