Twins at WDW

Sabo

Mouseketeer
We are expectiing twins in July and we really want to make a trip to WDW in the near future. Probably in the next year. How hard will it be to take two 1 year old boys? What kind of daily schedule are we looking at?

We took our twins when they were 9 months old and we had a great time. We kept things really low key. We just enjoyed seeing their reaction to all the colors and the music. Some of the things that made it easier for us were:
-they weren't walking, they really were happy to be held or be in their stroller.
-because we brought their own stroller with reclining seats, they could nap anytime they wanted (actually they would fall asleep on what seemed to be the noisiest rides)
-we went in January, so heat was never an issue. Actually, at night we had to put them in their fleece snowsuits...still better than keeping them cool.
-babycenters are wonderful places and can be found in all parks
-almost all bathrooms(including mens rooms) have changing tables. This allowed us to divide and conquer.
-I brought all their baby food with us including individual powdered formula packets. I just had to add some bottled water.
-we could take them on any ride without a height restriction

Taking twins to disney was quite manageable and a lot of fun. Good luck and congratulations!

We are taking our twins for their first family vacation this year. They will be 15mos at the time of the trip - theyre 13 mos now. I will be happy to give you a report when we get back. Right now we are planning to go early since we get up at 6 or so every morning here anyway it's no big deal. They are not walking yet but I have a hunch they will be by then. We will play it by ear but are considering the child harnesses (aka leashes) if they are walking significantly by then. I know some people don't like them, including myself, but the prospect of losing a child is more frightening to me than the looks I'll get from naysayers. Giving toddlers a chance to walk will slow us down but that's a good thing too - to stop and watch them enjoy the little things too. Basically we will keep them in their stroller until they object then give them a break. We are planning midday breaks back to the hotel for nap and maybe a swim. My twins have been on milk since 11 1/2 months and eat about 50-60% table food so they can share meals with us at restaurants. It really depends on their age when you choose to go. Things change dramatically from month to month. If you go younger, they might still be on formula or if you plan on long term nursing that eliminates the need for keeping your bottles cool! But then you would need to get rest and stay super hydrated yourself. Don't have high expectations about going on alot of the big rides yourself. I would suspect that baby swap will be somewhat challenging with twins.....especially one year olds that are squirmy and want to crawl around or cruise around.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me. And I hope to give trip reports while there too....we'll be home Fri night Labor Day weekend.

Good luck with the twins....and get all the sleep you can!!

You are doubly blessed with double the fun!!

Good Luck with your twins! Our twins are 4 years old. We didn't go until they were 25 months. We did take our older daughter when she was 1. It was easier with a 1 year old! At 2 the boys wanted to get out more and run around.

Do you know if they are boys or girls or one of each?

We were just there in April with our 2 YO Twins. It wasnt as hard as I thought it might be.

Some of the more important points id say, are to try as much as possible to keep them on what ever schedule youve already made for them.

Also, try to bring along comforts of home for them. My twins each have their own blankets that they will absolutly not sleep without. Twin DS's are those fleece throws, so I cut one in half making it easier to travel with. As long as he had it, it didnt matter what size and it made naps in the strollers much easier.

The right stroller choice is very important. Getting on and off any transportation with twins is alot of work. Planning this far ahead and asking lots of questions helps. Keep notes to yourself about ideas you like and things you would like to have with you.

BTW I should have started with CONGRATS, Twins are truly an awesome and unique way of life. They are truly magical. Ill tell you that your life will change in ways you may never have thought. Its not always easy, but as everyday passes and everyone get use to the routines, you can sit back and enjoy the little miracles that only few of us are so lucky to have.

P.S. Stock up on your sleep now

My twin boys are now 5 and we have been to disney every year starting at 9 mos. sometimes twice a year!! The easy trips were at 9 mos and 4 and 5 years old. It was harder at 2 and 3 yrs old. They wanted to get out of the stroller by then and "take off" running!!! I found we could go on most rides the exception was the shows. They were to noisy at times. We did afternoon breaks at 4 and 5 yrs. when they were younger they would sleep in their stroller. I always brought my own so they could recline. We usually went early and were out of the parks about 4pm each day. I also stopped at the store and picked up snacks/juice boxes made it handy when they wanted something right away. Go have a great time! Taking twins (anywhere) just takes a bit more planning but it is worth it. PS Get plenty of sleep now because you dont get any in the 1st year!!! Thats why you'll NEED a trip to disney!

Boy, lots of twins represented here! My girls were 2 for our first trip, will be 4 for this years trip. I really tried to keep with the same schedule as we had at home as much as possible and just let them dictate how much we did per day. I'm a single mom now, so really see this years trip being a whole different ballgame... lol I'll be the one trying to keep up with 2 kids wanting to go in different directions now.

As it has already been said just keep with your schedule and take it slow. Our twin girls turned 7 yesterday. We have been taking them to Disney at least once a year since they were 9 months old. Now that they are older and travel better we have had APs the last 2 years and make frequent trips down (we just got back Saturday and DH and I are planning a long weekend in Disney in July).
I agree with those that said they took their own strollers, we took ours but one day thought we would just rent the ones from the park and realized that was a mistake. The girls we not comfortable in those and they made sure we realized it.:eek: Enjoy those babies, they will not be babies long enough.

We took our twin daughters the 1st time when they were about 2 1/2. I also suggest taking your own stroller. We actually bought an inexpensive double umbrella stroller that could detach from one another. It was great because we took it through the airport, folded it up when we got on the plane & hung it in the front of the plane with some of the other hanging luggage.

As the other posters said, try to stick to their schedules as much as possible. Make sure they get the rest they need. Sometimes it will be fine for them to nap in the stroller while your at a park or even on a lounger while at a pool. Other days, probably not.

Have fun.

Congratulations! Twins are a wonderful blessing! The best piece of advice with twins was given to me by our pediatrician, the father of twins, "Never let them out of the stroller." They were 3 when their younger sister was born, and yes, still in the stroller.

Our girls were 2 the first time we took them. They are now 8, and I can't keep track of the number of times we've been. I always took our stroller, their "comfort" items, and favorite snacks. We never had any problems. Our stoller reclined so they napped when they wanted, and we took it easy.

Our youngest was 9mos for her first trip. Took advantage of the baby swap, and all the wonderful baby care facilites at WDW. Never had any problems.

As others have said, enjoy those baby years, they grow much too quickly!

We will be traveling with our 2 1/2 year old son and twin 19 month old twin boys this July. We are just going for a short trip and hoping that it is not too difficult for us. We are out numbered by kids!!!

Twins are the best!!

We took our twin boys when they were 15 months old. They did great! We went in Sept 2000 and had the best time!
-Use the baby care centers - they are great - we could let them run around a little and cool off at the same time.
-We were at the parks as soon as they opened (of course EE was still in effect) and went back to the hotel between 1-3:00 for a break. This way we got to see everything and leave the park when it was real hot.
-The boys were walking, but I was surprised at how content they were to stay in their stroller. There was so much for them to see that they didn't whine to get out.
-Donald's boat in MK is a great place to let them run around and cool off
-Bring their favorite blanket/toy from home - it makes it easier at bedtime

Have a great time and your boys will too!!

I have 4 year old boy/girl twins and boy do I give all of you a lot of credit! I couldn't imagine taking them to WDW under the age of 3. We have taken them 3 times on DCL and started taking them to WDW this year. My 2 suggestions are bring lots of sunscreen and hats. I can't believe how many people have little ones walking around WDW in the blazing hot sun with no protection. As everyone has said-get all your sleep now and don't plan on making it through any store without at least 10 people stopping you to ask if they're identical or fraternal-which was a hoot for me since I had a boy and a girl!

I have twins - boy.girl - 6 yr olds. The first time we took them to Disney was when they were 16 months old. We had a blast. I ditto all of the advice of the previous posters. My son is not as aggressive as his sister, so we tour with differently with him. She is a daredevil and will do anything. He, on the other hand, likes the slower pace of the world.

We also took them when they were not quite 4, and again this past April.

I have to say, I remember the first time we went was in February. It was perfect weather. They were very comfortable napping in their strollers - make sure you get one with an umbrella. This allowed my husband and I to go on lots of rides - lots of times - when they were napping.

The first time, we flew from Providence, Rhode Island. On the way down they cried, most likely due to their ears. On the way back, they slept the entire trip home :D

These last two times, I made sure they took a decongestant before their flights. This past April, we used the decongestant and those new airplane ear plugs (forgot the name). Anyway, the flight did not bother them at all. We had a great flight.

Have fun. Take lots of pictures. I cannot tell yoyu how many times we take out the photo albums and reminisce.

Half of my "Party of Six" is our 2 yo ggg's.LOL We have a 10yo girl as well. We will be at Disney for 7 days starting June 29th. We are so excited and I have done major planning for this trip. We are blessed to have our Day Nanny and Sister going with us. I chose to rent a home near Disney so the girls would have there own room and can run around without distrubing others. I am very ummmm, well, i'm low key I guess. I don't like being asked personal questions about my girls. As you all know shopping is made more enjoyable when your not stopped and bombarded with silly questions from strangers. I plan to take my own strollers as well and there favorite blanket and pillow from home. We are doing early mornings and will be settled back at the house by noon or soon there after for there 1p.m. nap and then rest and they can play in the pool and such at the house. While mom and dad do things with big sis. My girls are very well mannered but they are 2 and can get loud so I want to plan age appropriate outlets for them.;) I don't plan lunch at Emerils for 8.LOL Just have a wonderful relaxing vacation and be flexible. I would'nt make a lot of ps or plan full day activies esp. at the younger ages. Mine are down to one 2 hr nap a day so we can go longer. Have a great trip and congradulations you have been blessed. Wishing you ((()))) grow big babies.LOL BTW/ drinks tons of water.

PartyofSix - Don't forget to get those little ladies birthday badges at the parks!! And wish them a happy birthday from us!

And a special hello to their big sister too, because we know that big sisters are very special people too!

Enjoy!

I have all of us GOH badges. Luckily I got in on that before they disc. the prod. I have them a ps at cindy's for lunch since that works better for their schedule. We plan on spending a lot of family down time together. Me and my DH own our own business so we are really looking forward to slowing down and being with the girls. Oh big sis is in charge, my goodness she is a mess about her sisters. Little Mom.

Hi our twin girls are now 6, We took them for the first time last summer (they were 5 yrs 9 months). We took our own strollers and will be taking them again this year. Ours were those Graco green jungle print semi-umbrella strollers. They have the basket underneath w/the canopy that can fold over. They're weren't overly difficult to get on and off the buses (we stayed at CSR). We used the baskets underneath for storage.
The other big advantage I found is that they were easy to spot when we got off of a ride! All the rentals all look alike, and the CM's sometimes move them while you're on the ride. Our green jungle patterns were easy to spot in a sea of blue! For us bringing our own worked out great:D
Have a great trip!
Duck

PS One other thing we did that worked out well...my cousin bought us 2 Mickey Mouse denim hats she found at a dollar store. When it started getting too hot we'd go over to a water fountain (bubbler for any Rhode Islanders!) and soak the hats. We'd then ring them out just a little and put them on their heads. It cooled them off quickly, but didn't get all their clothes wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter