Trusting Someone

That is exactly my fear. She is equating his jealousy and “worry” about her as love when in reality is manipulation.

This kind of stuff makes me want to throw up. This can escalate quickly and I'm guessing if she is sharing some things with you about him and issues then there is many ugly things that she hasn't shared with you. If you get any time with her alone, get her to sit down and read about abusive relationships and more important the voice of an abused girlfriend/spouse. From what I have read she is doing a male dominated field, I imagine that causes many issues/comments at home due to this man's insecurity. This is not going to get better. Not even a little bit and if she gets married that is whole lot of trapped. Keep showing her love and support and showing her that this is abuse. Many times young people don't believe that if there is not loud ugly name calling then it is not abuse. The manipulative "you don't love me if" or " if you love me, you would do..."
Keep educating her

Oh crap. OP, I'm sorry to say it but, there are so many red flags here... I don't like this one bit, and the LEAST of all the reasons is whether or not he still wants to get back with his ex. I think he's manipulating and at minimum emotionally abusing your daughter. He's attempting to isolate her from friends (and family by way of your son) and is attempting to get total control even sooner by proposing earlier than anyone anticipated.

I would privately with her express your concerns... because you LOVE her and want her to accomplish so many things, not because you DO NOT like him (that will just get her defensive). But at the very least, you don't have to support this wedding, either emotionally or financially.

Keep an eye out for physical abuse signs (bruises, wearing baggy clothes to cover scratches etc.) If your relationship starts to get more distant, stay vigilant.

I DO NOT LIKE IT!

Thank you for posting. I am very concerned for her. And will watch for physical abuse.

One of my fears of him getting between her and her brother is that Ds would be the first to see any signs. Plus he is the least trusting of him. Her older brother isn’t too happy but doesn’t see her as often.

You are very right about the way to approach this. Thank you.

Okay, now I am finally seeing the above message....
Sorry, my post above was before this was showing up for me.

WOW.... just wow....
I feel for you, because if she is already living with him, talking marriage, and she feels that she can't leave with ONE hour of time without him, and she feels that she is not free to come home to see her family... (lame, crap, 'gas' excuses.... etc...) And, you cannot see her WITHOUT him.
And, his family are the kind go 'get revenge and HURT the other person.....

I am just so scared for your DD, just by reading your one post.

But, if she lives with him, away from you.... you are in an almost powerless position.
And you have to tread pretty darned carefully.

LuvsJack....
This has absolutely nothing to do with whether you should 'trust' him, or anyone else.
This has everything to do with your daughters well being.

In fact, the whole 'TRUST' thing is just one more classic tool in the arsenal of controlling-abusive people.
NEVER 'question' them.
It is classic, textbook, 101.
Seriously, it is.
And, so are the panic-attacks and falling on knives. (threatening emotional, psychological, or even physical instability)
Again, classic, textbook, 101.

I will say that again.... Total, classic, textbook, 101.

I guess the only thing that is coming to my mind is to definitely pull back and refrain from getting involved AT ALL in this situation.....
But, focus on maintaining your good relationship with your DD, so that you can get thru to her, in general, that you love her and as her mom... no matter what the future holds, you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be there for her.

If you even speak of this situation again, or involve yourself in these relationships in any way... you are falling right into their system... It will be you against them.
And, you do not want to go there..... that is a losing battle that you probably can not win.

One question.... A rhetorical question... Based on your statments...
So, you often have to go her, as she does not often come home to you...
SO, why does that mean that it has to involve him and he has to be present...
Why can you two not do whatever you want to do together????
A lot of light might be shed in the answer to that question.

This kind of stuff makes me want to throw up. This can escalate quickly and I'm guessing if she is sharing some things with you about him and issues then there is many ugly things that she hasn't shared with you. If you get any time with her alone, get her to sit down and read about abusive relationships and more important the voice of an abused girlfriend/spouse. From what I have read she is doing a male dominated field, I imagine that causes many issues/comments at home due to this man's insecurity. This is not going to get better. Not even a little bit and if she gets married that is whole lot of trapped. Keep showing her love and support and showing her that this is abuse. Many times young people don't believe that if there is not loud ugly name calling then it is not abuse. The manipulative "you don't love me if" or " if you love me, you would do..."
Keep educating her

You are very right. 10 months ago she wanted to go as far in this profession as she could. She has been backing off quite a bit. He gave her some trouble from the start but it was explained away by his mom. She kept assuring dd that his past gf had cheated with several guys in the field. He insisted that ds had to be with her constantly if she was at a show without him. The same brother he now doesn’t like.

Okay, now I am finally seeing the above message....
Sorry, my post above was before this was showing up for me.

WOW.... just wow....
I feel for you, because if she is already living with him, talking marriage, and she feels that she can't leave with ONE hour of time without him, and she feels that she is not free to come home to see her family... (lame, crap, 'gas' excuses.... etc...) And, you cannot see her WITHOUT him.
And, his family are the kind go 'get revenge and HURT the other person.....

I am just so scared for your DD, just by reading your one post.

But, if she lives with him, away from you.... you are in an almost powerless position.
And you have to tread pretty darned carefully.

LuvsJack....
This has absolutely nothing to do with whether you should 'trust' him, or anyone else.
This has everything to do with your daughters well being.

In fact, the whole 'TRUST' thing is just one more classic tool in the arsenal of controlling-abusive people.
NEVER 'question' them.
It is classic, textbook, 101.
Seriously, it is.
And, so are the panic-attacks and falling on knives. (threatening emotional, psychological, or even physical instability)
Again, classic, textbook, 101.

I will say that again.... Total, classic, textbook, 101.

I guess the only thing that is coming to my mind is to definitely pull back and refrain from getting involved AT ALL in this situation.....
But, focus on maintaining your good relationship with your DD, so that you can get thru to her, in general, that you love her and as her mom... no matter what the future holds, you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be there for her.

If you even speak of this situation again, or involve yourself in these relationships in any way... you are falling right into their system... It will be you against them.
And, you do not want to go there..... that is a losing battle that you probably can not win.

One question.... A rhetorical question... Based on your statments...
So, you often have to go her, as she does not often come home to you...
SO, why does that mean that it has to involve him and he has to be present...
Why can you two not do whatever you want to do together????
A lot of light might be shed in the answer to that question.

Thank you for posting. That’s what I was worried about with the panic attack. He uses that as a cop out or to gain her sympathy.

I have nothing of use to add to this conversation.

I would be terrified for my DD. Don't let him isolate her from you, however you can stop it. I don't know how though.

Can I ask an unrelated question? where do you live that they cannot get married before 21 and can’t they just drive across the state border and get married in another state? Not really relevant but was curious.

Personally I’d be really really concerned, but I would have approached your daughter alone first before talking to both of them. I would make sure your daughter knows she has a supportive safe space to talk to you and that you have concerns. Short of that and keeping an eye on it It’s so hard to do much for an adult making a bad choice.

If it was BS and my significant other thought so as well, I personally wouldn’t confront the rumor telling.

Last edited:

This is weird. I agree with another poster that you need to make sure your daughter knows that, no matter what, she can count on you and the rest of her family. He is being manipulative and controlling.

OP, I have been in a marriage with a manipulative spouse. I don't want to post a lot of personal info, but if they get married, it will get worse. I'm glad you live in a state that requires her to have you sign for her to get married, until she's 21. You're fortunate in that. Your best hope is that she'll meet someone else in that waiting period. If that doesn't happen, you'll have to be nice to him to keep from losing her. Don't let him push you away no matter what he convinces her to say. It's important that she knows you'll always be there, regardless of the circumstances. My family was there to deal with my ex, when I was afraid to. If they weren't, I'm not sure what I would have done. I truly hope she sees him for what he is, before they get married.

I just wanted to add that I'm sorry this situation is happening. He sounds like bad news and it sounds like your dd is completely smitten. She shouldn't be in a manipulative situation like that. 19 is just so young... and to rush into marriage like that?

I would find some way to really have a sit down, heart to heart with you daughter AWAY from the fiancé. Voice your concerns. While she is an adult and can make most of her own choices, I really hope you can intervene.

They could drive to another state and get married, that is a worry.

Dh thinks we should just try to put off the wedding by saying we need more time money wise. Still sort of promising a wedding. And only bring up the not signing if pushed into a corner.

They could drive to another state and get married, that is a worry.

Dh thinks we should just try to put off the wedding by saying we need more time money wise. Still sort of promising a wedding. And only bring up the not signing if pushed into a corner.
Good idea.

I agree with others, he is manipulating and controlling of her.

She’s young and inexperienced, and thinks she’s in love. She’s mistaking his jealousy and being in control of her, as love. If she were older and more mature, she would be able to differentiate between these things.

As others have said, again, keep a close watch on what’s going on. And be there for her. Be nice to him, and don’t talk bad about him to her....you don’t want to burn any bridges.

You sound like a very caring and loving mom.

Add my voice to the chorus of people who think you have good reason to be concerned. The communication with the ex is the least of the issues, though let's be real -- of course he's guilty. That's why he throws out some distraction (panic attack, storming out of the room) every time he starts to feel backed into a corner about it. I assume the "proof" is probably something like text messages? That's pretty black or white when talking about whether one person has been in contact with another. It might not be a bad idea for your daughter to see that, if for no reason than to plant a seed of doubt about his honesty.

The bigger issue here is that he has a history of being emotionally abusive in a previous relationship and he's already started the process of isolating your daughter from her friends and family and she's withdrawing from her college and career aspirations. You need to stay on top of this. Perhaps you should reach out to a women's shelter or domestic abuse hotline and see if they can offer advice to you.

Also, he called his mommy because you hurt his feelings? Ew. What a loser. :crazy2: The insecurity runs deep with this one.

I am so sorry about what y’all are facing.

I was in a mental abusive relationship many years ago. I hate to say it but it started just the same as you are describing with your daughter. I was actually your daughter’s age 19 when my ex and I were married. He was so sweet and caring. He quickly proposed and we married quickly. I was madly in love and he showered me with gifts anything I wanted.

Then we got married. He never let me see my friends or family. He would lose my car keys so I couldn’t get to work or school. He slowly began trying to find ways to keep me at home or always with him. When I became pregnant with our daughter, the cheating and borderline physical abuse began. He thought he had me trapped, but truthfully being pregnant and wanting to protect my child made me leave and move back to my parents.

It’s scary when your in the relationship because you see that it isn’t right but they make it hard for you to leave. They make you believe that they can’t live without you.

First off luvsjack, I just want to tell you how sorry I am, it must be so terribly difficult seeing your child in a bad relatinship like this and wanting to help so badly but having limited things you can do. :hug:

I don't have much real experience on this stuff, other than helping the friend of my oldest when she was engaged to someone that was along these lines, which isn't quite the same thing---but here is my best advice anyway (so take it with salt):

The biggest thing I owuld do is STOP talking about the rumors of trying to get back with the ex, what he did to the ex, etc. Becuase they ARE rumors and you don't have concrete proof, and eevn if you did have proof abut how he treated his ex, your DD is likely to see that as not relevant to how he treats her. The more she perceives your concern coming from gossip about someone else (even if the gossip is ultimately true) the more she is going to refuse to see/believe your concerns about how she is treated and the more she is jsut going to defend him and feel he is unfairly under attack.

SO, I would stick to only talking to her about specific things you know are happening TO HER or between the two of them, along with talking about what
abusive relationships look like and how they start and how these things mirror that.
Bring up that you are concerned about how she always seems to be feeling guilty about simple things like visiting you and that isn't really healthy and ask hre why she thinks it keeps happening. Give her openings to think about it for herlsef, think about what is happening to her . . .

Same with the wrestling. Als how she feels about stepping back from it, what is she thinking of doing now instead. Get her thinking about HER opnions about it (that one is a bit interesting, at her age it wouldn't be all that surprising if she wanted to pull away anyway---it could happen that she was enjoying it but also doing it becuase you loved seeing her doing it, it meant she had time with her brother, etc and she didn't see any clear path out from that when it turned out not to be her thing (heck, she might like this guy partially becuase he gave her an excuse to back away some without feeling like she had ot make the decision herself). So, ask questions, express concerns ("I worry abuot jealusly being equatedwith love" "If you are not interested in persuing wrestling anymore, that's totally OK, I just hope it's becuase YOU want to try different things, not beucase you feel pressured to stop due to A's jealousy" etc).

I guess, to the greatest extent that you can, I'd try to be there for her (he complains about gas $$, you drive to her and have lunch with jsut her once a week, take her out, etc) and express your concerns about specific behaviours/emotions she is having with no ruor or outside sources, share with her about abuse and what it looks like, especially early on (print up some lists fromn reputable sites so she knows you are not oulling this out of thin air) and make sure she knows you will always be there for you if she needs you.

I wish you could just force her to see reality, but you can't so the best you can do is not make her forced to feel she just choose between you and him and hope that allows her eventually to choose herself.

(oh, and the panic attacks could be fake and jsut manipulative, or could be real. Sometimes people with uncontrolled anxiety and depression handled that feeling of lack of control by trying to control and manipulate others----that does NOT make it ok, but I think if your DD is living there and seeing what she deems to be real anxiety issues, it is important not to try to mninimize those ar insist they are fake--doing so will undermine your credibiity with her, but you CAN talk about that he is responsible for his bahaviour and getting help for the anxietz if he needs it and should not use it as a crutch or an excuse, etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter