*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Screenshot_2016-10-08-05-27-20_zpsk15ru8zt.png

It may be older with a half a million miles or so, but it half the price of a new pick up and with Caterpillar engine towing power would never be a worry again. Whatcha think Bama_Ed, gotta like that Alabama red!

Big white swoosh A would look good on the side of that cab, wouldn't it, Randy? Just sayin'.....

Bama Ed

Big white swoosh A would look good on the side of that cab, wouldn't it, Randy? Just sayin'.....

Bama Ed

Why would Randy want a Nike swoosh on the side of his truck ?? Is he a big runner ?? Tiger woods fan ??

Well today has made me wish I could afford to make the diesel jump already. I took my 5'ver to the dealer in Louisiana to get a slide motor repaired under warranty before our trip to the Fort soon. Well on the way back my truck broke as I got off the interstate near home. I limped into a church lot and called a friend to come tow my camper the short distance home and roadside assistance towed the truck home. After fearing the worse like rear end or transmission I was relieved to find a burned up carrier bearing. I just had a whole new drive shaft built and installed before our last trip in April. I called the shop and they will rebuild it and try to find out why it failed so soon. I just thank the good lord it was not half way to the Fort when it failed. On a happy note I got a call to interview for a new job. It won't pay a lot but it's a great job for a small city. I'm interviewing for a a public safety officer at Dauphin Island AL. Working with the police running medical and fire calls on the island.

Hey Joe, hate that about the truck but glad to hear on the news about the job. Hate we missed you this weekend.

I'm with Randy... Time to "Upgrade" :D

I don't mind to upgrade.... Just hate to pay the "Upgrade" price. :crazy2:
It's even worse, though, when you upgrading as a necessity as opposed to a "Choice". Sounds like you are still in the "Choice" stage (for now). Still, I hope your current truck gets fixed soon and doesn't cost you a fortune.

Hate we missed y'all Michael. We actually were at Disney this weekend celebrating Emma's 11th birthday. We got a super cheap hotel and drove down Friday night as the Hurricane passed. The weather and the crowds were very nice. Are you guys already gone ? Sorry I meant to check your message on the dates.

Okay so the drive shaft was repaired under warranty. I provided the labor to remove and reinstall it. So it cost me nothing but time. Turns out it was not balanced properly when they built it. I'm all good now.

Hey Joe.....glad everything worked out on your truck. Like my blowout last fall returning from our trip to the Fort, good that you were close to home. Hope to see you soon at the Fort.
Steve

I been a bit occupied since I got home from our last trip, work and life hit us hard this past month. I lost my big fluffy dogchild Brandy Tuesday after labor day, she had heart failure. But after some deeper dives into my blow out issue I found the E rated tires could not hold up to being only 600# under max GVWR. So over the winter and before the next trip I am jumping to either G rated or F rated tires. The F rated have my interest over price. Both Carlisle Tires and Kenda tires seem to have great reviews and with an F weight rating is well higher then my GVWR on the trailer. I guess the weight combined with the 90+F heat was the root cause of my issues even though the tires where not overloaded.

The truck has ran beautifully, and the only change I made since its last service is I got rid of the wheel weights and went with bead weights in the tires. What I have noticed is that when I balenced the front tires after rotating them from the inside dual, they where smooth till I hitched up. Then there was some unbalanced vibrations, but now with the bead in the tires, I hitched up and noticed no change. The kit was cheap too.

I been a bit occupied since I got home from our last trip, work and life hit us hard this past month. I lost my big fluffy dogchild Brandy Tuesday after labor day, she had heart failure. But after some deeper dives into my blow out issue I found the E rated tires could not hold up to being only 600# under max GVWR. So over the winter and before the next trip I am jumping to either G rated or F rated tires. The F rated have my interest over price. Both Carlisle Tires and Kenda tires seem to have great reviews and with an F weight rating is well higher then my GVWR on the trailer. I guess the weight combined with the 90+F heat was the root cause of my issues even though the tires where not overloaded.

The truck has ran beautifully, and the only change I made since its last service is I got rid of the wheel weights and went with bead weights in the tires. What I have noticed is that when I balenced the front tires after rotating them from the inside dual, they where smooth till I hitched up. Then there was some unbalanced vibrations, but now with the bead in the tires, I hitched up and noticed no change. The kit was cheap too.

Hate to hear about the pet family. Ours of 16 years is having CHF as well and not doing good.

G rated huh? What kinda price on those trailer tires?

First of all, welcome back. I think we have all been a bit busy. Sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much it sucks as I lost mine just a couple weeks ago.
Looks like if we get a fifth wheel, a tire change is in store on the trailer. DW is talking about making the leap up again and well would like a new unit before a trip to the Fort next year. If the stars align, maybe just maybe it can be pulled off.

One step closer to a new truck. Got hired today part time instead of full time. Another part timer moved up ahead of me. Work will be almost 50 miles round trip so unless I get full time or a lots of hours I still won't be able to get the new truck.

over the winter and before the next trip I am jumping to either G rated or F rated tires.
Welcome back and sorry to hear about your 4 legged family member.

One word on going up to G rated tires. Make sure your wheels can take the extra pressure. We learned that on one of our race trailers. I'd suspect the trailer wheels are only rated to 80 psi. I doubt a trailer manufacturer would over buy the wheels if they didn't need to.

j

Sorry to hear about Brandy. Good luck with all your truck endeavors.

Thank you all. It was a heck of a month.

Best we can tell the rims will be fine, the valve stems will need to be replaced based on my tire guys feedback after looking at one of the rims. He says go with either, they are pretty equal build, but I like the kenda tread better, its pretty much like a steer/tractor trailer tire with inline ribs and no side ribs. On the 26th or 27th she goes to the dealer to get the body damage repaired. So this weekend some clean up, clean out and winterizing is on the agenda.

WE are on our was to Disney to stay this week! I have a brand new Silverado and a Rockwood Ultra Light trailer. We are having problems that the tailgate is hitting the top of the jack when we lower while we are hooked up. Any suggestions?
We will be in a pet loop with our two furry babies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter