Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

We are scheduled to fly in on October 5th - 9th. Short trip for a ladies only trip with 3 friends. (this was the only dates that worked for everybody), So, cancelling would be tough as we would not be able to reschedule. What is everyone's thoughts on Mid Next Week? Staying at Holiday Inn Orange Grove. Not doing Disney - just kind of winging it for plans. Is is usually still really rainy after a hurricane or does it clear up some after it passes.

We will be keeping a close watch on everything and will have to make a decision next week - but they probably won't be as generous with cancellations for those dates I am assuming.
The weather will be gorgeous after the storm blows through. You should be fine as long as there isn't a lot of damage/clean-up to do.

The weather will be gorgeous after the storm blows through. You should be fine as long as there isn't a lot of damage/clean-up to do.
This isn't about the weather forecast. It's about how much damage that wind and water can do. This is an unprecedented storm for Orlando. Who cares if the weather is nice a couple days later if the cast member's houses flooded, there's no power in Celebration, and the water is all on boil notice.

This isn't about the weather forecast. It's about how much damage that wind and water can do. This is an unprecedented storm for Orlando. Who cares if the weather is nice a couple days later if the cast member's houses flooded, there's no power in Celebration, and the water is all on boil notice.
We will just have to keep a watch on things and see how this hurricane all plays out.

The PP did ask the question about the weather "Is is usually still really rainy after a hurricane or does it clear up some after it passes." so I believe that poster was answering the question. That was the case for us too for Irma it was mostly sunny and not quite as hot as the preceding days. Not sure what Ian will do but I could see someone wondering will there be a lot of wash out days after or not as part of their decision or just honest curiosity.

I think MCO just decided to close as of 10:30 am tomorrow. Check directly with their website but this might help those of you trying to cancel or reschedule.

I think MCO just decided to close as of 10:30 am tomorrow. Check directly with their website but this might help those of you trying to cancel or reschedule.
Yep, it’s on their website. No info on reopening, of course.

We live on the west side of Disney, and we are evacuating out of state. We don’t have evacuation orders currently, but I’m pregnant and have two little ones and I’m anticipating that even if our house makes it through without damage we will be an island with no power or water for who knows how long. It’s safer for us to go so we’re going. No one else in our neighborhood seemed to be leaving when we left early this AM but there’s still some time. I’m just praying that we have a home to come home to.

Just announced on the news MCO closing 10:30 am tomorrow.

Was just coming to add that.. also just read that since the storm is tracking further south east that impacts will arrive earlier then previously expected.

What a difference a few miles make… Polk county now expecting the storm to pass over as a H or cat 1.

Information starting to come out that standalone sites (i.e. Bungalows, Treehouse Villas, Cabins, etc.) are going to close from 9/28 to 9/30

ETA: From the Disney website

Walt Disney World Resorts

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will temporarily close Wednesday, Sept. 28 through Friday, Sept. 30 due to the weather. We are contacting Guests with current and upcoming reservations.

While it's tempting, please try to post factual information on this thread rather than predictions.

Thanks to those who are posting updates based on information on the Disney website, airline websites, news sources, etc.

Let's try NOT to post, 'I think X will be closed for X days.' We're trying to keep this thread as accurate as possible to assist those already at Disney or possibly travelling down this week. Actual information is most helpful.

Thanks!

There goes my Thursday flight. Now I've got to figure out if it's even worth it to try to fly in Friday early for a Friday (maybe?) cruise.
Where are the cruise ships now? I can't see them even being in Tampa right now. I bet they took them towards New Orleans or will soon. They don't want the ships damaged.

There goes my Thursday flight. Now I've got to figure out if it's even worth it to try to fly in Friday early for a Friday (maybe?) cruise.

I wonder what incoming flights will look like on Friday. Could be a mess

Where are the cruise ships now? I can't see them even being in Tampa right now. I bet they took them towards New Orleans or will soon. They don't want the ships damaged.
DCL's ships are not based out of Tampa -- 2 are out of Port Canaveral and 1 out of Miami at this time (plus 2 others elsewhere). These ships are currently in the Bahamas/Caribbean. At least one announced yesterday it would be late returning to Port Canaveral (due in Friday AM) - late could be later that day or even another date. Probably too soon to tell.

I was also supposed to fly in Friday morning, 9:35 AM. Looks like it will have just barely passed Orlando by 8 AM, but I guess MCO could be closed for hours after until it's safe to open. I guess the parks *might* be closed Wednesday through Friday, meaning MNSSHP will be cancelled for Friday, too. It was just supposed to be a quick weekend trip and fly home Sunday. Is it worth thinking I can get in Friday evening and still have Saturday and Sunday? Is it better to just scrap the whole thing?
Anyone living in the areas, please be safe. I have horrible memories of living through Harvey, so I hope you will all be well.

Just adding this info about all area airports to this thread...from FAA - https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?p=0&ARPT=mco

AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center​
The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Orlando International Airport (MCO) Real-time Status
Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closed as of Sep 28 at 10:30 AM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:30 AM EDT.
Delays by Destination:
  • Due to CLOSED, the IMM airport was closed as of Sep 27 at 22:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 16:00 UTC.
  • Due to CLOSED, the Melbourne International Airport (MLB) was closed as of Sep 28 at 02:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:00 AM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED, the St Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport (PIE) was closed as of Sep 27 at 06:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 12:00 PM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED, the SPG airport was closed as of Sep 27 at 17:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 11:00 UTC.
  • Due to CLOSED, the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) was closed as of Sep 27 at 08:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 29 at 07:59 PM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Tampa International Airport (TPA) was closed as of Sep 27 at 05:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 12:00 PM EDT.
General Departure Delays: Traffic is experiencing gate hold and taxi delays lasting 15 minutes or less.
General Arrival Delays: Arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delays of 15 minutes or less.
This information was last updated: Sep 27, 2022 at 4:59 PM GMT
Glossary of Air Traffic Management Terms - A table containing definitions and/or descriptions of many common Air Traffic Management acronyms.​

I was also supposed to fly in Friday morning, 9:35 AM. Looks like it will have just barely passed Orlando by 8 AM, but I guess MCO could be closed for hours after until it's safe to open. I guess the parks *might* be closed Wednesday through Friday, meaning MNSSHP will be cancelled for Friday, too. It was just supposed to be a quick weekend trip and fly home Sunday. Is it worth thinking I can get in Friday evening and still have Saturday and Sunday? Is it better to just scrap the whole thing?
Anyone living in the areas, please be safe. I have horrible memories of living through Harvey, so I hope you will all be well.

Your flight is already cancelled. Best bet to book to come in on Sat because Friday will probably be a mess

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter