• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

I'm hoping they close schools tomorrow so I can get in a quick MK day. The day before a hurricane is normally a great day

What is with Disney and giving such a hard time about changing dates/reservations. They act clueless that a hurricane is coming in the next few days and keep asking why we want to change our travel dates. Was supposed to fly in tomorrow but changed it until Saturday night for a week. They keep saying that our tickets will expire and its outside the window. I'm lost, do they really want you inside a park with torrential rain and a hurricane?

These guys have been pretty good so far. This is only a forecast and it's obviously subject to change but looks like Orlando might be reasonably ok. (Reasonably ok? Is that even a thing? :rotfl2:). Anyway,FYI.

I'm in WDW right now and and kinda scared. I don't know what to do. I wish I booked for May.
I know how you feel. I can see WDW from my driveway, and I am scared too. If it makes you feel any better, I would rather be staying at WDW than at my house. I certainly didn’t like to see it moving closer to Orlando (and me) with the 5:00 update. Just pay attention to what your hotel says and watch the local news for updates (Chan 2-WESH, Chan 9- WFTV, Chan 6-WKMG, and Chan 35-WOFL).

The weather for next weekend looks like it will be fantastic.

I'm in WDW right now and and kinda scared. I don't know what to do. I wish I booked for May.

It is scary.. the not knowing is the worst part. Once there is a better handle on where & how the storm will impact WDW (fingers crossed for a minor inconvenience) the process and policies of where you are staying will kick in and you will get your instructions on how to proceed.

I’d do a bit of prep now though.. get some food, drinks, and snacks for your room to tide you over should you need to shelter in place. You can do this in the resort itself or try to get to a local grocery market. It may be to late to order for delivery to your hotel - but it’s worth a try.

There are some good resources that are helpful too..

on twitter -
@MCO is Orlando airport info
@FLSERT is the State emergency preparedness and recovery site
@tropicalupdate is Mikes weather page which is comprehensive and updates by the minute
@disneyparksblog is official disney world info

You can also check in here & on the Resorts forum - thread is titled

Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Planning/Discussion​

for support and find people posting the things they’ve seen, heard &/or experienced.

Stay safe! You will probably have some interesting/great stories to take home with You! 😊

Last edited:
What is with Disney and giving such a hard time about changing dates/reservations. They act clueless that a hurricane is coming in the next few days and keep asking why we want to change our travel dates. Was supposed to fly in tomorrow but changed it until Saturday night for a week. They keep saying that our tickets will expire and its outside the window. I'm lost, do they really want you inside a park with torrential rain and a hurricane?
Their policy is most lenient when there is a Hurricane Warning for Orlando, which there is not at this point. Sadly you will need to keep advocating for yourself. Many of these operators may not even be in Florida or have any concept of what the situation is, and just following a script.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/

You can feel confident you will be safe. WDW is built better than most anything around it. They built it to withstand and even little things like the road billboards can actually be folded down so they are not damaged. Check your tv for special broadcast, check any phone messages they may leave to keep you informed. Get some food in your room before the storm is close in case they ask everyone to stay in their room. If you can get some extra towels in your room do it, even if you grab some at the pool. Charge your phones just in case but power should be fine there.

:grouphug:

It is scary.. the not knowing is the worst part. Once there is a better handle on where & how the storm will impact WDW (fingers crossed for a minor inconvenience) the process and policies of where you are staying will kick in and you will get your instructions on how to proceed.

I’d do a bit of prep now though.. get some food, drinks, and snacks for your room to tide you over should you need to shelter in place. You can do this in the resort itself or try to get to a local grocery market. It may be to late to order for delivery to your hotel - but it’s worth a try.

There are some good resources that are helpful too..

on twitter -
@MCO is Orlando airport info
@FLSERT is the State emergency preparedness and recovery site
@tropicalupdate is Mikes weather page which is comprehensive and updates by the minute
@disneyparksblog is official disney world info

You can also check in here & on the Resorts thread for support and find people posting the things they’ve seen, heard &/or experienced.

Stay safe! You will probably have some interesting/great stories to take home with You! 😊
Just to add, charge up every phone, tablet, and battery pack today. And keep them topped off. I'd download a few movies and books onto the tablet too.

Get food and water for a couple days!

IF the storm stays strong, it’s totally possible wdw loses power and when it comes down to it, you’re on your own! You don’t want to be stuck in the scenario that wdw didn’t think would happen. Otherwise really, you’ll be ok!
We ride out storms an hour or two away from the center. It’ll be windy but as long as you have food and water for a couple days, you’ll be just fine.

Reactions: cm8
HMMMM--- that sounds like 2022 Disney to me. Back when Matthew hit they were going out of their way to be accommodating during the few days before the storm. Maybe you just got unlucky in the person that picked up your call.

Don't be scared. You are already there, so you aren't having to make a decision about postponing. Enjoy your trip while the weather is still good, and just have a plan in place to make sure you have food and activities to keep any kids with you occupied. People on the coasts evacuate TO WDW to be safe. We were there during Matthew. We arrived on Saturday and the parks closed on Thursday. I remember all the anxiety of wondering where it was going to go and how bad it would be. You never know where these things are going until they get there, I remember the reports constantly changing as its course changed slightly over and over. You are going to be FINE at WDW. If the power goes out, they are equipped to work quickly to get it back on. The CMs we talked to at our resort were all happy to have been put in rooms at the resorts as they felt that was the safest place to be, and a place that if power went out, it would be quickly restored. Just be sure that you get some food and snacks to have in your room NOW, in case you are stuck inside for a day or two at the end of the week. If the shelves are bare at the resort store, check again-- WDW was restocking over and over when we were there during Matthew. Anticipate that the stores and restaurants may be closed for a day or even 2. If you look back at p. 1 of this thread, you can see a long post I did of what it was like to be there during Matthew--- don't know if WDW will handle everything the same this time, but it will give you some idea. When are you supposed to leave for home?

I was there during Irma. Irma was a much scarier beast than Ian, and Disney was totally fine throughout the entire thing. I understand it might be frustrating or stressful with closings and cancellations, but you 100% DO NOT have to be scared. You'll be fine, no doubt. They will take great care of you!

To be clear, Matthew stayed offshore and paralleled the East coast. With the latest advisory that just came out, Ian will turn and hit Tampa directly and it’s possible Disney has a cat 2 right over it for a good length of time. This puts Disney on the strongest side of the storm with the worst weather, vs an indirect hit on the western side of which is historically not even close to the same amount of weather.

Not trying to freak anyone out, just spelling out the forecasted reality. Just prepare and you’ll be fine.

Yeah the latest update was not good at all for Disney, unfortunately. Wed evening through Friday might be a mess. If this forecast holds, I'd be shocked if the airport and parks don't close.

But again, things can always change. And even if it's bad, you'll be safe. It might not be fun for a day or two, but safety is not something anyone has to worry about in Disney. Disney is basically Florida's crown jewel of where to go for hurricanes. As someone who was there during Irma, literally only great things to say (AKL made it a truly fun time!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter