Tron to Begin Soft Openings via VQ from Mar 20 - April 2, 2023*

Yes, they won’t let you on if you are late for your boarding group. I got spot 27 in the 7 am booking, which was estimated at 11:40 am. We still had to drive there, but I thought that time would work, since i thought I had until 12:40 to get there. Well, the boarding group got called early, at 9:45. We got there at 12:30 and went straight to Tron. The first person that scanned us into the Tron area was fine, they scanned and let us through. We get up to the entrance and the scanner turned blue. They said we were late. I told them we had to drive there and the guy was quite rude and said well you had an hours notice.
This is concerning. When you get your boarding group they give you an estimated return time. It seems reasonable to expect that you should be allowed to ride as long as you show up by the end of that original time window. Otherwise they are basically saying you can't do a sit down meal, or get in any line with a wait time over 45 minutes, or park hop, or do anything but sit there checking your phone watching for the "Ding! Your group is called. You have 1 hour to get checked in" message. It can easily be more than an hour if you are caught up in any of the scenarios I mentioned.
This happened to us on our last trip with Guardians. We got a late boarding group so had hopped to HS with what was expected to be hours before being called to board. We got the message right after tapping in at HS. We went ahead and did the couple of things the kids were looking forward to, then went back to Epcot. We were still well before the original estimated return time and had no issue at all checking in, even though when you checked MDE it said "your boarding window has expired" (or something similar). I would expect similar leeway with return times for Tron; and though I don't generally make a fuss about disappointments, I'm pretty sure I would argue the point if denied entry.

This is concerning. When you get your boarding group they give you an estimated return time. It seems reasonable to expect that you should be allowed to ride as long as you show up by the end of that original time window. Otherwise they are basically saying you can't do a sit down meal, or get in any line with a wait time over 45 minutes, or park hop, or do anything but sit there checking your phone watching for the "Ding! Your group is called. You have 1 hour to get checked in" message. It can easily be more than an hour if you are caught up in any of the scenarios I mentioned.
This happened to us on our last trip with Guardians. We got a late boarding group so had hopped to HS with what was expected to be hours before being called to board. We got the message right after tapping in at HS. We went ahead and did the couple of things the kids were looking forward to, then went back to Epcot. We were still well before the original estimated return time and had no issue at all checking in, even though when you checked MDE it said "your boarding window has expired" (or something similar). I would expect similar leeway with return times for Tron; and though I don't generally make a fuss about disappointments, I'm pretty sure I would argue the point if denied entry.
While I respect what you’re saying, Cast Members have been given direction to strictly enforce return times. It’s a known ‘risk’ we accept when we choose to book a VQ. It is an estimated return time and it can change, either direction. It’s not within the scope of CMs authority to change the direction they have been given to enforce return times.

For all choosing to try for a TRON VQ, please understand the parameters and be fair and kind to CMs who are only following the direction they’ve been given. They don’t need guests unfairly taking out their frustration on them when they are only doing their job.

Note: It has been Disney’s policy to allow guests to ride a little late IF they have proof (dining receipt) that they were delayed due to an ADR. If it happens that your VQ is called while you are at/just before an ADR, historically they will allow you to arrive a little late when a receipt is shown.

Just a data point for those interested: we got group 68 at the 7am drop yesterday and were called at 1:06pm.

And confirming that they are being super strict. The people in front of us were a couple hours late and were not allowed entry.

Super fun ride!

I get them enforcing return times. But I would plan my day based upon my return time. So if it says 1-2, I'll plan to be there in that time. If the ride is ahead of schedule - great for those that can flex and ride earlier. But I've planned on 1-2. I shouldn't be considered late if the ride is ahead of schedule.

I think Disney needs to CLEARLY state the rules for this ride. Other VQ rides have had wishy washy rules.

Having said that, GST are getting an VQ when they are not in ORL or in HS.
It is only going to get worst. MOST gst want to ride ride once it is darker.

I get them enforcing return times. But I would plan my day based upon my return time. So if it says 1-2, I'll plan to be there in that time. If the ride is ahead of schedule - great for those that can flex and ride earlier. But I've planned on 1-2. I shouldn't be considered late if the ride is ahead of schedule.
It's your choice to do what you wish, just sharing that return times are strictly enforced.
I think Disney needs to CLEARLY state the rules for this ride. Other VQ rides have had wishy washy rules.

Having said that, GST are getting an VQ when they are not in ORL or in HS.
It is only going to get worst. MOST gst want to ride ride once it is darker.
I would guess that the only reason we know the return times are not enforced for all VQs is due to this board and possibly other similar boards. Disney does clearly state the rules and they are that you have a 1 hour return time from A to B.

A VQ is not a upcharge. Disney can choose to enforce/not enforce as they wish. They provide a return time and tell us when to return. If we return outside of that time it's on us.

Also, it's not like suddenly people are shocked to know they've been called. The MDE app clearly shows what boarding groups are currently being called so that guests can gauge how long the 'anticipated' wait for them might be.

Let's get back to sharing actual experiences people are having rather than discussing how much we wish they were doing something different.

Yeah, I just think the system needs some work. Considering by the time you park and take the monorail and walk to Tron that can take almost an hour. I contacted Disney and all they said was that times fluctuate and not to try for the 7 am booking if I wasn’t going to be in the park in the morning. I get that they can fluctuate, but not by two hours and to get denied entry to my original time. Crazy to me. Even with Guardians, I had my time that was supposed to be 11:30 get called at 8:40 yesterday and the park wasn’t even open for me yet! Anyways, I wasn’t rude to the cast members as the other person said, though I did feel they were rude to me. And also they do seem to have leeway to make their own decisions who can enter. The family in front of us didn’t have a boarding group for one member of their party, who was going to wait outside. The worker asked why they weren’t riding and when they found out why, I saw her waive him in and say quietly that she wasn’t going to make him wait outside. That just aggravated me further giving that they then didn’t allow us to ride.

Just to add another data point

Yesterday March 22, VQ at 7am, got BG 83, it filled up fast. Initial estimated callback time was 5:25pm. It actually opened at 1:53pm. We made it with a few mins to spare. Great ride.

I would suggest people keeping an eye on the estimated return time and plan to head over when there’s 90 mins or so left before callback. The last bit of time dropped fast.

We are driving from Tampa area to ride. MK doesn't open until 9am, so that's the earliest time correct? We'll plan on heading out the door once (if) we get a VQ at 7am.

Truthfully while it is a bummer for those who miss their times, it really makes the virtual queue line run so much better throughout the day. Overall it’s definitely a more pleasant experience for the majority of guests who arrive on time - certainly the fastest we’ve moved through any virtual queue line.

Today’s data point: Boarding group 40 called at 10:39am. Everything ran smoothly until we were almost on for our ILL ride and had a small pause to retrieve something a guest had dropped. 🤦🏼‍♀️🥴

Please everyone, stick to what’s happening during soft opening. If you wish to discuss what would’ve, should’ve, could’ve made it a better soft opening; please do that on a new thread on the TPAS community board. We try to keep this board with actual facts about what’s happening.

It seems that they're adding time to TRON every day or so, I hope that means they're also adding boarding groups as well. I wonder if the ride is operating at full capacity now or still limited capacity (not the full number of trains etc?)

Has anyone seen a change in GotG:CR since TRON was a virtual queue? Thill-data is showing it is still gone in the first minute, but is it gone in seconds or in like 30-60 seconds?

My son was able to get us on Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and Tron this morning. The estimated time will change. We boarded way earlier than the first estimated time for both rides. I was told by one of the CMs at Guardians of the Galaxy they allow a little leeway past the time - how much, don't know.

I was surprised to fail the 7:00am VQ this morning. All the steps that I've followed for years to succeed in getting a boarding group did not work this time. I suspect that slow/unreliable hotel wifi was the culprit. Anyhoo, I did much better with the 1:00pm using cell data inside MK. (For what it's worth, I had a pretty strong cell signal from one of the benches near Buzz Lightyear, I think out near where Buzz sometimes signs autographs.) Ended up with BG88 and finally got to ride around 4:30 after the ride recovered from more down time.

As an aside, I noticed after riding that MDE's Tip Board was offering to sell me a paid LL for 20 bucks or something like that. It puzzled me because I just assumed that all the ILL$ slots for Tron had been long gone since morning. If that was a real offer, I wonder how long it stayed live before somebody grabbed it.

Dreams do come true, as they say. I will have one chance to try this next week on my only MK park day. I assume park-hopping folks have a strictly on-paper chance at 2:00pm although that's certainly going to be hopeless. Also, with respect to ILL$, that follows the 7:00am rule for on-site guests only, meaning that other guests probably will have zero chance at that?
Good Luck! I hope you get it. Get that golden ticket, this is this years BIG ride! :wave:

Got boarding group 51 this morning. Initial estimate would have been after 2, actual callback was around 11:30. I had my phone on data, my daughter on Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi won! Broke down twice while we were in line, including when we were next to board. Took close to an hour with the two downtimes, but it was so worth the wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter