• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troll's Trip Report

Really enjoying your photos and your trip report. I just bought myself a DSLR and am looking forward to breaking it in next week at the World. We stayed at the cabins for our first trip back in January so much we are going to buy a pop-up for our upcoming trips. Starting a family tradition and memories like the wonderful stories you keep sharing with us.

Question: Did you actually spend any time at the parks this trip?

Really enjoying your photos and your trip report. I just bought myself a DSLR and am looking forward to breaking it in next week at the World. We stayed at the cabins for our first trip back in January so much we are going to buy a pop-up for our upcoming trips. Starting a family tradition and memories like the wonderful stories you keep sharing with us.

Question: Did you actually spend any time at the parks this trip?

I couldn't believe it, but he actually didn't want to go to any parks. He just wanted to enjoy the full Fort experience this time. We were there in May for a week and stayed at another Disney resort with our niece and did all four parks and both water parks. I didn't push the issue as doing all those parks was exhausting so I enjoyed just camping.

That is wonderful that you bought a camper. We just took possession of our new, well new to us, Hybrid TT today we love it and got a great deal!

Just got back from the Fort last night and am now all caught up with your trip report. I just love it and your memories of the Fort from years ago. My first trip there was in 2003 so it is nice to hear what it was like before that. It has been a favorite place of my families since that first trip there. Thanks for posting the detail photos, they are wonderful!!!

So we've solved the mystery of the old loading dock thing along the path leading to the Pioneer Hall -- it was an entrance deck to a sample Fleetwood trailer the Fort used to rent. Funny how once a mystery is solved you're kind of disappointed by the answer? You almost want the mystery to remain a mystery.

Norm-

Not so fast . . .

The "loading platform" was last used as a display for a Coachmen brand Futura travel trailer. The next time you are there, look off to the side, and you will see an electric box for RV connections, just like the boxes on the other FW sites.

This topic was discussed a while back here:

No, it was definitely built to display a trailer. And it was odd. IRRC it was just a travel trailer, and it really wasn't all that remarkable. I remember that the actual entrance door was removed, and they put a piece of Plexiglas in its place. They had place-mats and a bowl of plastic fruit on the table. I never understood what the trailer was doing there, as there were no brochures or other advertisements telling you why the thing was sitting here to be looked at.

I googled Coachman Futura Display at Fort Wilderness, and I actually found a site that has a PDF of a Coachman brochure describing this whole marketing scheme.

Here is what the text from the brochure says:

C O A C H M E N R V F O R M S A L L I A N C E W I T H D I S N E Y
Coachmen RV Company and WALT DISNEY WORLD®
Resort, respective leaders in the recreational vehicle (RV) and
entertainment/family vacation industries, have formed an
alliance that will allow the companies to work together into the
new millennium. Coachmen is now the Official RV of Disney’s
Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground and Disney’s Wide
World of SportsTM Complex in Florida.
As part of this new alliance, Coachmen RV’s will be
prominently displayed at Disney’s 750-acre campground resort.
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, affectionately
known as the “most magical campground in the World”,
boasts nearly 800 campsites, 700 of which are full hook-up
sites for RVs. It also features over 400 deluxe Wilderness Cabins
as well as various recreational and entertainment facilities.
This elite resort is one of the three original vacation resorts
opened when WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort premiered
in 1971. A Coachmen RV will be displayed near Pioneer Hall,
home of the popular Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, the longest
running dinner show at WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort.
Coachmen RV’s will also be a part of the Disney magic
at Disney’s Wide World of SportsTM Complex. Spanning
200 acres, this ultra modern facility, features a 10,000
seat baseball stadium which is also the spring training
home of the Atlanta Braves. The complex, designed for
athletes and fans alike, includes numerous state-of-the-art
playing fields and venues serving a wide variety of sports.
Disney’s Wide World of SportsTM is truly the “ultimate
sports destination”.

Here is a link to the brochure if anyone is interested:

http://www.goodmanchevrolet.com/CRV Brochures/01-Futura.pdf

And, here are some screen captures from that link, in case it doesn't work:

futura.jpg

futura2.jpg

I am pretty sure that the trailer depicted on the cover is the same as the one that they had on display. You could look in the windows, and the doors were replaced with Plexiglass.

Obviously, whatever deal there was fell through quite a while ago, because that trailer has been gone for a long time.

TCD

So, now the mystery is even more solved!

I'm still enjoying your report.

Especially the flashbacks.

TCD

The loading platform was used as a CO-OP with Fleetwood to show Fleetwood MH and TT as you know the cabins are Fleetwood’s.The last time I saw the loading platform used there was a 36’ Fleetwood MH there.

I left the mystery of the loading platform behind and went to find Mrs. Troll. When I did, we hopped back in the cart and headed back to camp. When we got there, imagine our surprise when we saw these guys:

1002365-S1700x900.jpg

1002406-T800600.jpg

Yes, those are American bald eagles! There were two of them! Right by our campsite!

Now how cool is that?

Norm- I meant to comment on these photos, so I will now.

Very cool! :thumbsup2

I have seen (and photographed) all manner of wildlife at Fort Wilderness, but I personally have never seen a bald eagle.

Awesome.

I have also still not seen an otter or a black bear, but other folks claim to have seen both.

TCD

Norm- I meant to comment on these photos, so I will now.

Very cool! :thumbsup2

I have seen (and photographed) all manner of wildlife at Fort Wilderness, but I personally have never seen a bald eagle.

Awesome.

I have also still not seen an otter or a black bear, but other folks claim to have seen both.

TCD

There used to be a nest off in the woods just East of the entrance to 1400 loop, almost back by the canal where the train used to run. If you look close you can see the nest in the top of the dead tree.

There used to be a nest off in the woods just East of the entrance to 1400 loop, almost back by the canal where the train used to run. If you look close you can see the nest in the top of the dead tree.

Scott- Thanks for the information. I will make sure to take a look the next time I'm at the Fort. I am pretty sure I know the area that you're talking about.

TCD

p.s. Hello Mr. Troll?

You need to get going on your trip report here.

p.s. Hello Mr. Troll?

You need to get going on your trip report here.

Yes, yes, you are correct. Sad thing about life is that stupid thing called "work" that keeps getting in the way!

Anyway, I'm off today, so I have a little time for this last installment of the Troll's Trip Report.

Yes, you read that right -- last installment.

Not that I don't have lots more stories and memories to share -- we did go to FW dozens upon dozens of times growing up -- but I've run out of photos to share.

The photos really help the story along, don't they?

But anyway, as I mentioned, Leslie and I bought some pulled pork BBQ sandwiches from the takeout menu at the Meadows rec area.

Have I mentioned that lunch options at the Fort are extremely limited?

You just have to wonder!

I mean, considering the suits made sure there was some kind of grub stand every ten steps when they built Animal Kingdom, you'd think they'd apply at least a dose of that same marketing panache at the Fort.

But no.

If you want lunch, it's a takeout window.

Take it or leave it.

At least the BBQ was really, really good. Man, oh, man was it good. They wrapped it in a pita wrap instead of a traditional bun, which I really liked. Say what you will about the prices, but at least it's good.

I forgot to mention an observation I made about the Fort in previous installments: Basketball courts.

1002393-T800600.jpg

Notice that the net has slipped out of two of the net hooks. It needs to be rehooked.

Most of the basketball courts now are on a smooth concrete slab. This one, however, is still asphalt:

995732-T800600.jpg

Look at all them cracks! Hope you're not wanting to play a serious game of one-on-one on this court. That ball will be bouncing every which way.

Actually, I like the cracks. Why? Because it suggests to me that this asphalt is a Fort original!

If memory serves me correctly, all the basketball courts in the Fort were asphalt. I may have dribbled a basketball on this very court!

And that basketball?

It was Mr. Disney's basketball.

Why do I say that? Because back in the glory days, there used to be a square wooden box attached to the post of each basketball court, and in it would be a basketball!

Ready to be used!

For free!

No need to bring your own ball!

Mr. Disney had thought of everything!

I remember walking up to the basketball court the very first time -- I was by myself and probably around 8 years old. I saw that basketball sitting in that wooden box unattended, and I just thought the world of it. I remember shooting hoops at the Fort for hours on end.

I sucked, of course, but it was great fun all the same.

Great fun -- all because Disney management had paid attention to detail and placed a basketball at each court, just in case someone wanted to play and didn't have one.

The wooden basketball holders and the free-to-borrow basketballs are long gone.

Why?

I'll tell you why.

Kenny Cart thieves!

Yes, you see, we couldn't just have something nice, like free-to-borrow basketballs at each court. No, no, no! The Kenny Cart thieves would put an end to that. We're not allowed to have anything nice, you see. Instead, the Kenny Cart thieves would steal the free-to-borrow basketballs and ruin the setup for everyone.

But then I wondered, how much would it cost the Fort management to provide free-to-borrow basketballs at each court?

Let's do the math.

You can buy this basic basketball at Walmart for $7:

51B2PMD73EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now, how many basketball courts are there at the Fort (TCD?)? Let's say four.

OK, let's say the Fort management places the free basketballs at the courts again. And let's also suppose that the Kenny Cart thieves steal two of the basketballs per day.

2 x $7 = $14
$14 x 365 = $5,110

Not to mention that Walmart would probably give the Fort a bulk basketball discount.

So that's $5,110 to provide free-to-borrow basketballs at the Fort.

Maybe if the Fort would start selling Fort emblazoned merchandise, open up a real arcade, and provide better dining options for lunch, they'd make more money and could afford the $5,110 for free-to-borrow basketballs?

Anyway, in a previous post I mentioned that one year my uncle Wayne came with us on a trip to the Kingdom and stayed with us at the Fort.

Our custom was to always check out and go home on Sunday. But before we'd leave the Fort, Pop would always get us up early and take us out for one final activity, like sailboating, speed boating, or tandem bike riding.

This trip, Uncle Wayne wanted to go to Discovery Island.

I had never been, believe it or not.

I think Pop had a sixth sense for things that suck.

Like he never took us in to see the Tiki birds.

And in 1999, when Pop was 73-years-old, he and I visited Animal Kingdom for the first time.

It also was Pop's last time.

You see, as he and I exited the Animal Kingdom after our first visit, Pop proved that even in his advanced age, his sixth sense still worked fine.

"Animal Kingdom sucks," he pronounced.

And I, regrettably, had to agree.

Anyway, back to Discovery Island.

Uncle Wayne wanted to go, so Pop agreed to take us there for our Sunday outing. So there we all were, ready to go with bells on. I was just bursting with excitement! I was...I can't remember...nine or ten, and there was a Disney park I hadn't seen yet. There'd be fresh attractions and rides and shows and parades and fun!

I imagined pirates and swashbucklers and shipwrecks and treasure chests and cannons and forts and fun, fun, fun!

Instead I got this:

parrot1.jpg

And this:

feed.jpg

And this:

Eastern%20Bonellis%20Bird%20Sanctuary%20copy.JPG

And this:
woman-killed-by-pet-snake.jpg

And this was the big attraction:

pj-shawn-46.jpg

I was like, "Are you serious? Are you fricking kidding me?! A bunch of birds and a stupid snake? Where's all the pillaging and drunkenness and murder and townsmen locked in burning jails and auctioning of captured women?!"

Where's the fun?!?

Instead my father pays $12 for me to come see a stupid parrot that I could see for free at the corner pet store?!

I felt like Peppermint Patty at Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving dinner.

Robbed! Robbed we were!

To this day, I hate that Discovery Island. I shed no tears for it as it suffers the same agonizing death that my beloved River Country endures. Die, Discovery Island, die!

Oh, yeah, I would call your attention to this:

11.jpg

Let's examine this closely. First of all, that pirate sure looks a heck of lot like Linda Blair in her title role in that phobia-inducing unholy specter, "The Exorcist."

Second, how the heck did my dog Zoe get inside the ride? Did she scratch out of the Aliner and go out for some trip reporting of her own?

Never mind. Let's get back to that visit to Discovery Island.

Needless to say, I was greatly relieved when that boat launch flying that misleading pirate flag pulled up to the dock and got us off that mosquito infested, parrot soiled sweat box and took us back to the happy Fort.

But I wasn't happy.

For I knew that I was leaving the Fort.

My heart grew heavy and a lump formed in my throat.

In my child world, there were only two other days that compared to the heavy-heartedness of leaving the Fort: The last day of summer vacation and the day my mother would take all the Christmas decorations down.

I remember riding the tram back from the dock at Clementine Beach to our loop, dreading the fact that we had to pack up and go. I watched all the happy things go by: The rose bushes, the wooden fences, the footpaths, the playgrounds, the free-to-borrow basketballs...

I rued in envy the new arrivals as they were just beginning their happy vacations as I was ending mine.

As the Florida pines rolled on by, Pop said to Uncle Wayne, "We sure hate to leave this place..."

Amen, Pop.

Amen.

I tried to console myself in the knowledge that we'd be back again in the future many, many times, but it didn't work.

That lump just grew bigger in my throat.

And so it was with the same heavy heart that I found myself collapsing our Aliner on the day before Thanksgiving, 2010.

Again I tried to console myself in the knowledge that we'd be coming back for more.

But again it didn't work.

And so this marks the end of the first Troll's Trip Report, but it won't be the last.

I hope you enjoyed reading along as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Thanks for reading along, and a special thanks goes out to everyone who had nice things to say.

I especially want to thank Mrs. Troll for not only tolerating the trip reporting and the fastidious picture-taking, but actually enjoying, encouraging, and helping out with it!

I love her so much.

And we loved the Fort so much, we just bought a new-to-us little hybrid travel trailer:

1042935-T800600.jpg

So watch out, Fort Fiends! The Trolls are heading in to invade your turf!

What?

That's all?

You were doing so good!

I'm sorry to see this one end.

But, great job.

Thanks for all the photos!

And big thanks for all the memories.

Regarding basketball hoops at the Fort, there are more than four. There are 8. I posed the question of how many basketball hoops there were at the Fort in a trip report last year, and Disboarder Mobile Mickey was eventually able to name them all. Here's his post, if you're interested:

List of basketball hoops at the Fort

You will see that he forgot one, so here is the complete list of basketball hoop locations:

1) Between the 100-200 loops
2) 300 loop
3) 1400 loop
4) Between 1800-1900 loops
5) Between 1200-1300 loops
6) Next to the cabin pool
7) By the group camp area at the end of the road.
8) in the interior of the 900 loop

So, I guess you would have to double the numbers in your calculation!

And, for what it's worth, there are still free-to-borrow basketballs at the Fort. You have to show a resort ID at the Bike Barn, and they'll lend you one. Not at all convenient. But free.

It's great to hear that you now have a Troll trailer.

I hope to see you around the Fort!

TCD

Very well written report Mr. Troll!

I have really enjoyed your stories as well as your photography.

Enjoy your new TT and your next visits to the Fort.

Thanks for letting us tag along for the ride you did a great job on your trip report your pop would be proud of you and also thanks for shareing your memories of the Fort. I hope you have a good time with your new camper and will be looking for your next trip back to the Fort. Thanks again and have a Very Merry Christmas.:santa:

Loved the trip report. It was great to have a trip report with a different perspective on it. That's a nice TT you've got there but one question. Does Zoe like??? That's very important you know!!!

Dear Mr. Troll, I have totally enjoyed your TR and am sad that like all good things, it has come to an end. I look forward to more reports and hope you, Mrs. Troll and Zoe enjoy your new camper :)

P.S. The first trip I took to FW with my DH and DS's, we did not bring a basketball because I KNEW that there were basketballs kept in special wooden basketball holders at each court....they had always been there when my parents took me and I just figured they would still be there (14 years later). After that first trip, we put a basketball on the packing list.

Norm on behalf of the staff and management here WELCOME &THANK YOU !
You and your wife are a breath of fresh air and thanks for letting us into your lives! Your Pops is very proud of you I am sure! It's funny I base most of my adult life on experiences on three things , my Father, Boy Scouts, and my experiences at Fort Wilderness.
Again thanks and I hope we don't have to wait long for you next TR !
Itch

Congrats on the new trailer! Thanks for such a great trip report. Look forward to seeing more of them in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter