• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troll's Trip Report

takeme2epcot

Mouseketeer
Now that I have your attention, hello!

My name is Norm, and I'm the guy who got called a troll because I don't like holiday blowups.

I'm not really a troll -- at least I don't try to be -- but everyone seemed to get a laugh out of calling me one, so I figured I'd go with it.

This is my first trip report.

My wife Leslie, dog Zoe, and I are at the Fort as I type this.

I plan on doing this trip report "live fire," that is, as the trip progresses rather than after the trip.

So I invite you to come along for the ride! A word of caution, however: I tend to speak my mind. And some of my views are...controversial.

I don't mean any offense.

Not really.

First, some background.

Growing up, my family used to come to FW at least twice a year. That started around 1974, if memory serves me right.

Back then it was my father, whom we all called Pop, my mother, my sister Lori, my brother Mike, and me. My father Pop was a bigtime Disney World lover.

I mean big time.

I mean like, he meant business. He didn't like anyone messing with Disney World.

Especially Fort Wilderness.

It was his favorite place.

Pop passed away about 7 years ago. I'll be referring to him a lot in this report.

Anyway, I haven't stayed at FW since 1987, I think.

Six months ago, my wife and I came to Disney World and strolled through FW one evening. We went to the Hoop Dee Doo. We decided to come back and stay at FW.

So here we are. It's Leslie first time and my first time in 23 years.

A lot has changed.

A lot has stayed the same.

So a lot of this trip report is going to be about what's changed.

And what's stayed the same.

Interested? Come join us...

As long as you include lots of pics of any Halloween decorations that may still be up or lots and lots of Christmas Decorations. We LOVE Halloween and Christmas Decorations at the Fort. It is one of the most beautiful and fun times to be at the Fort when all the decorations and music are out in full bloom. :thumbsup2

2522757066_65f9a0dbf9.jpg

my flamingos and I are too busy to read this tr

All right...for those of you who have signed on, welcome aboard!

As I mentioned, this is my first stay at the Fort in 23 years. As I mentioned, my wife Leslie and I are camping in a popup. When my father "Pop" took us camping here, we always came in a popup. And as they always say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Only problem -- we don't own a popup.

So we rented one.

I work on a military installation. I'm not in the military, but I work for the Department of Defense as a civil servant. That means I can avail myself of many of the base amenities, including camper rentals.

So we rented a popup for cheap on base.

And as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. More on that later.

But anyway, we picked up the popup, loaded up and headed on south. We live in the Florida panhandle, so it's only about a 6 hour drive for us. I've lived in Florida for 34 of my 41 years, so I know intimately that November is one of the best months to go camping in Florida.

Never go camping in Florida in May, June, July, August, or September.

Or October.

If you do, you're crazy.

Anyway, here I am driving:

993440-T800600.jpg

And here are our obligatory gate photos:

993436-T800600.jpg

I like this one. Leslie took it:

993432-T800600.jpg

And this one:

993509-T800600.jpg

993420-T800600.jpg

And here are some flowers and barrels just beyond the the Reception Outpost:

993504-T800600.jpg

993482-T800600.jpg

So we pulled up to the check-in, and the girl greeted us and handed us our welcome packet. About a week prior, we had called ahead and requested a site in the 1900 loop, Wagon Wheel Way. As a kid, Pop always loved Wagon Wheel Way. He loved the fact that it was so far "back in the woods." He loved the woods.

I'm hoping that Pop's spirit is along for the ride on this trip.

Pop also loved the fact that back then, in Wagon Wheel Way, you could hardly tell that anyone was camping next to you. He always bragged big on that. Well, things have changed a bit in that department.

More on that later.

Much more.

Anyway, so we requested Wagon Wheel Way ahead of time and were assured that we would get it. But when the girl at the check-in station handed us our packet, what number did I see?

That's not Wagon Wheel Way.

Close, but not.

So I requested Wagon Wheel Way. She checked the computer. She found site 1924 available. So why hadn't they booked us in the 1900 loop to start with, as they had assured us on the phone?

Oh well. At least we got the 1900 loop.

So onward we went.

To the 1900 loop.

Wagon Wheel Way.

Oh, I almost forgot something very important.

Something very, very important.

This is Zoe.

She's our dog.

She's very possibly the most photographed dog on earth.

She's the star of this show:

993521-T800600.jpg

Zoe. She's not like regular dogs. She hates car rides. I mean, hates. Most dogs go nuts for a car ride. She dreads them. Interestingly, she very willingly hops in the car when it's time to go somewhere. She'd much rather go on a dreaded car ride than be left behind. She always wants to be with us.

You'll see plenty more of Zoe in upcoming installments of this TR.

Lots more.

But now, I must bring this post to a close, as I have charcoal burning and steaks ready to grill.

Coming up next: We set up camp, we discover some defects with our popup camper, and I get knocked out of commission for awhile right at the wrong time.

Okay, now I know that I am still very tired from my trip. It took me five minutes to figure out that "holiday blow ups" were inflatible Christmas and Halloween decorations.

I thought you meant that huge fight that always seems to happen between eating the turkey and serving the pumpkin pie. :confused3

Maybe i should go take another nap.

Hmmmm.....sounds like this is going to develop into a mighty fine report.

Tell me though... do we have to pay the toll to the troll for reading this report? :rotfl2:

popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

Love a good TR... Troll TR... so should that be a TTR? I'm not sure how many acronyms I can remember tho...

Looking forward to more! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter