• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Triple Amputee Needs Advice

Downtown Disney also has companion restrooms. I believe one is to the right after you enter the Marketplace and another one up by guest relations near the swimsuit shop. I forget the name.

Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

Will this be the first trip like this you have taken? Boy if so you have found a great place for info!

Hope you have a great time!

Yes, first trip. Everyone had told us it was "wheelchair friendly" so we decided to give it a go. And from these replys, sounds like we should have tried it a few years ago.

I don't have time to post much tonight, but will sometime this weekend. We just got back from WDW (about our 25th trip in 19 years).
If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread stick near the top of this forum, you will find a link to the Disney official website, where you can find a link to the WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. That has an updated list of the Companion restrooms.
The newest parks (AK and the Studio) have the most and the best Companion restrooms. You'll also have the least people using them there because the ladies (and I'm assuming men's) rooms in those parks have handicapped stalls that a wheelchair actually fits in.
MK and Epcot are older parks and the handicapped stalls are generally too small to get a wheelchair into and shut the door. They do have companion restrooms, but people use them as family restrooms. Especially at MK, we often had to wait for a parent and same sex child to come out of them.
There are companion restrooms in First Aid in each park, but some are rather small.
If your DH needs a particular setup for transfer, some of the companion restrooms will fit his needs, some won't. So you may have to try some out and then note which ones will work. In some, there is space right next to the toilet to park a wheelchair. In others, the wheelchair has to be parked in front because there is not room to the side. (Next year, I'm going to have to take pictures, I think and make an inventory of the Companion restrooms).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter