• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Triple Amputee Needs Advice

eschwerman

Joyful @ Heart; Livin' 4 Him
This is my first time on this site! Trying to plan trip to Epcot with my husband (in 2006) who is a triple amputee confined to a wheelchair. We do travel, but there are so many unknowns at WDW. We want to stay on site--need busses w/lifts and wheelchair friendly accomidations. Need experienced suggestions.

WDW is probably the most disabled friendly place on teh face of the earth.

I have a few questions for you...

Will your husband want to use a pool while you are there? (Some are zero entry, with a water chair available.)

Will you only be visiting Epcot, or will you also be visiting MK, AK, and MGM?

What are you prepared to pay nightly for a room?

All WDW buses are equiped with WC lifts. All WDW resorts have accessible rooms with roll in showers. You can rent equipment such as lifts from local places like Walker Mobility who will deliver and pickup for you.

If you can answer the questions I posed, you'll get a WEALTH of information! :)

Anne

TKU for responding! Cost is not too much of object, but moderate is good. Do not know what else we might visit: MK, MGM (maybe?) all depending on accessability. Since buses do not appear to pose problem, our main concern is bed and commode MUST be set up for left-side transfer. Additionally, right leg is in a constant extended position. I know it's alot, but we have managed in the past.

Welcome to both DisBoards and the disABILITIES Forum.

Once you have made your reservation, contact Special (Medical) Reservations at 407-939-7807. Explain the specific room needs and reason to them. They will block out a specific room for you which meets the needs and it will be guaranteed, not just a request.

If you stay at GF, Polynesian or Contemporary you can use the monorail to either MK or Epcot, otherwise bus. (Contemporary Tower rooms are in same building as shops, restaurants and monorail station.) Staying at Yacht, Beach, Swan, Dolphin or Boardwalk you can use a boat to Epcot or Studio, otherwise bus. All other resorts require bus to get to any park.

If you can swing it, I'd try for a Epcot resort (deluxe), only because he can roll from those resorts to both Epcot and MGM, no need to load onto a bus. The rooms are also quite a bit larger for more manuevering room. During slower times of the year these rooms can be booked for the same price as a moderate during peak season. You could also look at renting points from a DVC member for a villa.

The special services department will be able to help you with securing the right room for the commode transfer. They have "mirror images" so I'm sure they'll be able to get a left side transfer blocked for you.

Anne

TKU for your help! I think I will start with Cont Tower, and Poly. (maybe Swan and Dolphin). So, I make reservations first?, then call Sp. Med Res.? This is turning out easier than I thought. Usually takes me months to write letters to hotels and I send them pictures of our needs, etc. Hopefully we can make this a yearly event!

I believe duklite is referring to Epcot resort area. that is the Boardwalk Swan and Dolphin (this is on disney property, but not owned by disney- it is a starwood hotel??) I think there is also the yacht and beach club. Not too familar with Epcot resort area, I think I git them right, if not, someone will provied all the correct information.

I'd suggest the Boardwalk, Beach Club or Yacht Club (Epcot Resorts). The BW will have the least amount of kids.

Anne

Call Special (Medical) Reservations at 407-939-7807 to make your reservations.

Boat transportation for EPCOT area resorts works well for us. We have stayed at Swan twice. They were very accomidating. When they didn't get us what we needed initially, they found it, moved us, and gave us free dinner at any restruant in the hotel. Very nice. We have also stayed in Contemporary tower. The auto door was great there and we loved being in the MK area even when that park we goto the least. if EPCOT is going to be your main destination don't forget you have to transfer monorails at the TTC from either Contemporary or Poly. Lots of ramps to go up and down if pushing a manual chair. I agree with the notion that WDW is the most accessible place on earth. Very accomodating that is why we keep going back. Have fun!

We have a motorized chair. Our biggest issue will be the room we stay in. We will call Medical Services as soon as we receive enough input. Tks for your response!

How are the bathrooms set up at WDW and Epcot? Can I, my husband (in WC) go in together? He needs assistance.

I can vouch that the CSR has an awesome accessible room w/ a roll in shower. You can easily help your husband in it. Here's a pic.
DSC00227.jpg

Also, does your husband sleep in his wheelchair? If not, he is not confined to it. I cannot walk at all and use a wheelchair for mobility. If you lift me to me feet holding me under the arms and let go, I will fall to a heap on the ground.As long as I am awake I am using my wheelchair.

That said, I am not confined to one and I find that phrase to be archaic and offensive.

Sorry! I did not mean to be "offensive". My husband has been in a wheelchair for 35 years!! After that long, we tend not be be offended or surprised by anything anymore. The only time he is not in his chair is when he transfers to the toilet, the shower seat or bed. My question referred to when we are NOT in our hotel room. What kind of facilities are provided so that I can into the restroom with my husband.

I'm going on 21 years in a wheelchair Husky Mom. I've been at this since I was 6. I don't really get offended at stuff either, but the "confined" just chafes my rear :)

All of the parks have "companion" restrooms. I normally don't use them, but two locations I know of for certain are in Cinderella Castle on the entrance level (usually needs a key for access but there are always CMs available) and in World Showcase first building on your right when you turn right after coming from Future World. There are probably several at each park; checking the "Guidebook for People With Disabilities" for each park should help. I will rashly make the assumption that they also have them at the First Aid Stations, but someone may correct me on this.

We're finally getting excited about this long-envisioned trip! You and and all have offered much needed and appreciated information. I think this week I will begin making calls. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.............

There are companion bathrooms at all of the parks. I know at EPCOT there is one in Moraco, Norway, and one across from the little open air shop as you transition from future world to world showcase on the Canada end of things. You can also use first aid in all of the parks as a companion restroom.

The companion restrooms can be a bit tricky to find, which is a good thing as it generally keeps people who don't need them out. Disney will send guidebooks for guests with disabilities to your home to help you plan. Locate the bathrooms before you need them and all will be well.

Magic Kingdom:

First Aid
The lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
Splash Mountain
Mickey's Toontown Fair
Transportation and Ticket Center East Gate

Epcot:

First Aid
Near Spaceship Earth
Future World East Block opposite Test Track
Future World West Block opposite The Land
Near Canada
Near Morocco

Disney-MGM Studios:

First Aid
Opposite "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror"
Opposite Star Tours
FANTASMIC!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Next to Soundstage 3 on Mickey Avenue

Disney's Animal Kingdom:

First Aid
Safari Village opposite Flame Tree Barbecue
Harambe Village in the Mombasa Marketplace
DinoLand, USA at Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures
Asia near Maharajah Jungle Trek

I have to have complete assistance in the bathroom, including being carried. My mom is also in a wheelchair so my Dad helps me. The companion bathrooms are kinda hard to find and some are around smoking areas which irritate my trach. So I tend to use the wheelchair stall in the women's restroom (I greatly prefer companion, though). My Dad (poor guy) goes in with me. We have gotten a few strange looks but usually people seem okay once they see he's with me. My sister has a sign that she uses at school that says opposite sex assisting disabled. Sometimes my mom will warn people so they won't be surprised. I have been happily surprised at how accepting people have been. I wouldn't use men's though-open stalls-yikes! California even has a law protecting this right.

Christamae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter