Trip to Arizona (Phoenix area)

hops&dreams

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about taking a trip to visit my sister for a few days in Arizona. After she starts back to work, I’m toying with the idea of staying out the week and maybe taking a road trip out there? See the Grand Canyon and other parts of the southwest we otherwise wouldn’t?

What do I NEED to go check out?

Background- one of our favorite vacations (besides WDW- duh!) was a roadtrip through Wisconsin, South Dakota, and into Wyoming. It was beautiful, peaceful, and we learned a TON. We saw Devil’s Tower, film locations for Dances with Wolves, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Taliesin (Frank Lloyd Wright’s original home and school), House on the Rock, Field of Dreams, The Corn Palace, Wall Drug, the Badlands, Minuteman Missile Site (National Monument), Jewel Cave….

Would it be worth going out there from the midwest just to get away for a few days? My sister is moving to Chicago (driving distance for weekend trips) in the fall, so I’ll see her soon enough if we decide not to do this trip.
What do you think?

You didn't say where you're sister is, but I'd point out that where most of the people in Arizona lives in a ridiculously hot climate. When I had an assignment in the Phoenix area, a coworker asked about the extended stay hotel I was staying in for a night. I'd actually checked out of the hotel booked by the company and needed another room for one night (and then another but they were sold out). He wanted to know if it was adequate for cooking, because they run a severe risk in the summer if air conditioning fails. He said this place was ridiculously cheap in the summer.

Higher altitudes aren't too bad. Flagstaff is at higher altitudes and generally cooler. The Grand Canyon isn't that hot at the rim, but if you go into the canyon it gets considerably hotter the further down you go.

There are other places to visit like Saguaro National Park, which has two sections that straddle Tucson. Someone once recommended to me to visit Meteor Crater, which is a privately owned impact crater.

meteor_crater_attractions-plan_hero.jpg

Even Sedona and Flagstaff are hot right now. Hopefully the excessive heat warnings will have expired before your trip. The humidity is much lower than Chicago's, so there is that, but we also have three major wildfires burning right now, and fire season is just getting started.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but there are much better times to visit the desert.

Its really hot right now, so if you don't love the heat, I'd consider that. I think you need a reservation/ticket for the Grand Canyon right now, I would check that before going. Sedona is lovely.

You didn't say where you're sister is, but I'd point out that where most of the people in Arizona lives in a ridiculously hot climate. When I had an assignment in the Phoenix area, a coworker asked about the extended stay hotel I was staying in for a night. I'd actually checked out of the hotel booked by the company and needed another room for one night (and then another but they were sold out). He wanted to know if it was adequate for cooking, because they run a severe risk in the summer if air conditioning fails. He said this place was ridiculously cheap in the summer.

Higher altitudes aren't too bad. Flagstaff is at higher altitudes and generally cooler. The Grand Canyon isn't that hot at the rim, but if you go into the canyon it gets considerably hotter the further down you go.

There are other places to visit like Saguaro National Park, which has two sections that straddle Tucson. Someone once recommended to me to visit Meteor Crater, which is a privately owned impact crater.

meteor_crater_attractions-plan_hero.jpg
My sister lives in Phoenix, and her kids are in Tempe at ASU.

We had been thinking of doing a spa day in Sedona since we would be out there over my birthday, but with all the heat warnings you all are giving, I’m having second thoughts. I mean, we also grew up in the Chicago area, where I remember temps hanging out in the upper 90s to 110ish, with full humidity, but maybe we’ll keep it to a short, full of air conditioning visit. :)

thank you all! Once this first semester of our daughter’s senior year of high school is over, we will be open to her missing a few days of school for trips again- maybe that will be a better time to do an extended visit.

We spent a week in Arizona in fall 2019. The highlight of our trip was the Petrified Forest. We entered from the South Gate and drove through the entire park, stopping at both visitors centers and many places along the 23-ish mile drive. It was truly fascinating and beautiful.

I live in AZ.

October through April are ideal times of year to come. Even into the end of May isn't too bad. But tomorrow, the heat is arriving. On Tuesday of next week, the high at my house will be 117.

Monsoon season is usually late June/early July through part of September. Higher humidity (compared to our current 8-9% humidity, 30% humidity feels like Florida to us) and afternoon thunderstorms at times (but it's not daily).

There's a lot of cool stuff to see and do around Arizona. For example, in Sedona & Tucson...

Sedona:
  • some really great hiking and outdoor scenery. At this time of year, hike very early in the day. If you go during monsoon season, pay close attention to weather forecasts in the area. Flooding in creeks and streams can happen quickly and even not when there's rain in your immediate area (the rain could be coming from upstream miles and miles away.
  • some good restaurants in town
  • fancy boutique shops to browse in, but after you've gone once, that part feels very touristy and commercial (to me, anyway)
Tucson:
  • Biosphere
  • Titan Missile Museum in Green Valley (just south of Tucson)
  • Sonora Desert Museum (very close to Saguaro National Park West) - this place is really great and you shouldn't miss it if you'll be in Tucson.
  • San Xavier del Bac Mission
  • Kartchner Caverns State Park
  • Mt Lemmon Sky Center - at the top of Mt Lemmon. This is a solar observatory. They do public tours at dusk daily, but you have to book ahead of time. I've never done this, but know people who have and they've said it's pretty amazing.
  • hiking in Sabino Canyon (this is a good 30-40 min drive from I-10)

Even Sedona and Flagstaff are hot right now. Hopefully the excessive heat warnings will have expired before your trip. The humidity is much lower than Chicago's, so there is that, but we also have three major wildfires burning right now, and fire season is just getting started.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but there are much better times to visit the desert.

I concur even though today is nice in the low 100s. Best to visit in the shoulder seasons.

Its really hot right now, so if you don't love the heat, I'd consider that. I think you need a reservation/ticket for the Grand Canyon right now, I would check that before going. Sedona is lovely.
I don’t see any reservations required as with other national parks, but they are using capacity limits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter