Trip Report - First Visit to DLP since 1998

dark54555

Mouseketeer
Thought I'd post some thoughts from our DLP excursion June 26-29. As a bit of background, I'm based in the US, and have been to DL, WDW, TDL, and DLP in the past (some more times than others). I was traveling with my wife, who hasn't been as many times (or to Tokyo at all), but is still a reasonably seasoned Disney veteran. This was her first DLP trip, and my second, with the last one being 1998. I'm also a member of the Shareholder's Club.

We stayed at the Hotel New York, and booked an ESC room back when that included VIP Fastpasses. Unlike some of the other reports where people were offered alternatives to the VIP Fastpasses, we got the VIPs with no other offers and no questions asked. The HNY is in obvious need of updates. We were on the 8th floor and had a lovely view of the lagoon. On the other hand, it took 10 minutes (or more) to get hot water in the shower. The wifi was finicky at best and non-functional at worst. And the ESC itself is certainly a step below the WDW top tier hotel clubs (I've only been to the Beach Club's club level as a benchmark, but this wasn't that nice). But the rooms are big for Europe, which was a plus. It was nearly twice the size of the room we had in Paris at the Hilton.

The parks are obviously getting a bit of work to prepare for the anniversary, but we weren't going to let that stop us from visiting (as we're not often in Paris). That said, it seems like Disney Studios suffers from the same lack of attractions that Hollywood Studios has been suffering from. Ratatouille was great (as was Bistrot Chez Remy). Rockin Roller Coaster was down for a day and a half, but was possibly better than the US one. Crush's Coaster was also great, though the lack of Fastpass seems like a major omission. And the Tower of Terror was fun, though I prefer the version where you actually enter the hallway (ie Florida). Beyond those 4, nothing merited a second ride (and we only did Crush once because of the wait and no fastpass). Bistrot Chez Remy was good, both food and decor. I'm actually pretty surprised there isn't an active plan to move both the ride and restaurant to the France pavilion in EPCOT yet; it would be a huge draw.

Disneyland itself is in definitive disrepair compared to the US or Japanese parks, even considering the current work going on. Buzz Lightyear, for example, shows horrible wear and tear (walls, floors, buggies, guns). Things in rides work some times, but not others (even on the same day; moving targets in Buzz or moving parts of It's a Small World, for example). The quality standards don't approach the US or Japanese parks, and I say that as a shareholder in Disney US and Disney Paris.

There also seem to be fewer cast members, and fewer efforts by cast members to maintain order. People jump fences to sit in the grass for parades and whatnot, and the cast members just let them. We saw a few people dangerously close to falling in the water near the castle. That whole thing was a bit jarring compared to what the US or Japanese parks would do by comparison.

The Salon du Mickey was quite nice. We dropped in for a few minutes on the way into the park the last day. I kind of wish it were open more; it'd be great to have access to the drinks and bathroom all day, if nothing else.

My real chicken and egg question is this: does this park struggle because it's not on par with the US parks, or is is not on par with the US parks because it struggles?

We ate at Walt's and Blue Lagoon. Walt's was not just bad; it was the worst Disney meal I've ever experienced. I ate at Walt's in 1997, and it remains as one of the best Disney meals I've had worldwide. It was among the best meals I had that entire trip, even compared to more expensive meals in Paris proper. This trip was both the worst service and the worst food I've ever had at any Disney property worldwide. Walt's is great because it overlooks Main Street, but that appeal is entirely negated when, with a reservation and a mostly empty restaurant, you can't sit by the window. There is simply no reason to refuse a request to sit by the window when the restaurant is less than half full, and those window tables sat empty the entire time we visited. The food was terrible. My steak was below average, but my wife's chicken was inedible. Horribly dry and tough. And the waitress could not have cared less about any of this.

Blue Lagoon was much better, though the extra 30 minute wait past the reservation time was a bit annoying. I think I may actually prefer it to Blue Bayou, which has been a pretty reliable staple for Disneyland drips. My only comment is the "martini" isn't really a martini (ice in a martini?) and is way too similar to a mojito to have both on the menu. I had the swordfish, along with the coconut mousse, and both were excellent.

I mostly wish Space Mountain hadn't been closed for refurb at the last minute; that's the one ride from last time I missed getting to experience this time around.

Thank you very much for the report!

We are in DLP in two weeks. I have fussy 17 yo with me, so I am debating with myself - should I even try taking her to Walt's, as it might be a waste of money. Though she likes nice restaurants, but her attitude is rather unpredictable.

After reading your post, I think we will most likely skip the Walt's.

I decided I am going to call and make dinner reservations, as it seems that second half of July is going to be very crowded in DLP. If they have time slot convenient for us in Walt's, I might still book it. If they don't - I'm not going to be upset.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much for the report!

We are in DLP in two weeks. I have fussy 17 yo with me, so I am debating with myself - should I even try taking her to Walt's, as it might be a waste of money. Though she likes nice restaurants, but her attitude is rather unpredictable.

After reading your post, I think we will most likely skip the Walt's.

I decided I am going to call and make dinner reservations, as it seems that second half of July is going to be very crowded in DLP. If they have time slot convenient for us in Walt's, I might still book it. If they don't - I'm not going to be upset.

Thanks again!
Reservations are definitely advisable. Given the service and food quality, I'd skip Walt's (even ignoring cost). Blue Bayou or Silver Spur are probably a better bet.

I too have had a bad meal at Walts, the service was beyond slow and the food cold- 2.5 hours for a 2 course meal was very painfull.
We did not ask for a window seat yet was given one, an Irish mum and her daughter who were sat just before us were refused a window seat and were forced to watch the pairade outside while their food got cold. I hope the recent plussing of the menu results in better service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter