Trip Report ASD and Pooh Sized Dec. 2009

This was our second MK day. As I said earlier we wanted to be there for EMH rope drop but as DP said we got hung up at the TTC. We drive to the parks as the buses just never seem to work for us. They work great for everyone else but if you see us get in line be forewarned another will not come for at least 45 minutes to an hour. :scared1:

The line to board the monorail was almost to the bottom of the ramp by the time we got there at 7:35 am. We were in the second row of cars and thought we were golden. Nope. The saddest part was watching the people ahead of us fight to get down the ramp when they saw the ferry boat dock and walk over to it only to be told is was not running until 9:00 am. Then having to line up at the end of the row. We had asked coming in about the boat and knew it was not running but some people just have to go find out for themselves. We walked into the parks at 8:15 am.

We went directly to Fantasyland and got Hunney Pot FPs. We rode once without FP as it was a 10 minute wait and then went to Dumbo. DS REALLY wanted to ride Dumbo and DD did not. She and I went to Ariel and were the third guests there. We went back to the tent and waited for DS and DP to finish Dumbo. We ate the 2 cream cheese pretzels and sodas for breakfast.

Our HP FP times were up so DP went to get PP FPs while we started to walk over to the HPs. We rode that again, then Snow White, then Mickey’s Philharmagic, IASWAA (IASWAA is tough for me as I am not only extra Pooh sized but am tall too. The leg room in there kills me about half way through the ride I want to shift and stretch). Then our PP FPs time were up. We had no waits for anything this morning. We literally walked from one ride right to the next one.

As we exit PP it is pouring! We put on our ponchos and cover DS and his stroller with his. We make a quick dash to Haunted Mansion. We stand and wait for about 5 minutes in the rain as they try to get the people exiting the ride to walk out from under the canopy. It became the chant of “If you stay here you must become a ghost on the ride. Drag your wretched bodies out.”

I cannot fit through the turnstile here but we use the wheelchair entrance for DS anyway. They offer the choice of going into the stretching room or just getting directly on the ride. The stretching room terrifies both children so we are happy to get right on the ride.

DS is fascinated by the Presidents so he could not wait until we got to the HofP. We have not been in this attraction since DD was an infant. We were seated in the rear of the hall with DS in his stroller. We were actually very grateful for this as he talks (a lot) and has a serious problem with volume control. We thought he would be asking many questions so that there was a row or two of space between us and the next closest row made us feel like he would not bother anyone.

The seats here are snug for those of us with big hips. DS enjoyed the performance but wanted more information and wanted the presidents to talk more. I think most people would be happy he did not have a hand in designing this attraction.

Well that takes us up to about 11:30 am. Yes, we did quite a bit that morning.

Time to go open more presents as we are celebrating our Christmas at home today. Will finish the day later.

Your family sounds adorable! I can't help but read the posts from both of you with a huge smile on my face for all of you.

I cannot fit through the turnstile here but we use the wheelchair entrance for DS anyway. They offer the choice of going into the stretching room or just getting directly on the ride. The stretching room terrifies both children so we are happy to get right on the ride.

Frist off, I totally agree about the leg room on Small World. I can't bend my knee all the way and that ride kills me.

Second, I never knew you could skip the streching room. Can you ask a CM to skip it if you don't have a wheelchair? (If you know.) My son has SPD adn I think I might be able to get him to go on the ride if we could just go straight to it.

Thank you.

We have learned over 15 years that we often perceive things differently and experience the exact same event differently especially when it come to food and our children! :lmao:

We are having great fun reading what each other writes so thank you for indulging us.
Oh, it's fun for us too (no indulging needed).

I think it is so good that once you are finished, I will include a link to this thread in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Frist off, I totally agree about the leg room on Small World. I can't bend my knee all the way and that ride kills me.

Second, I never knew you could skip the streching room. Can you ask a CM to skip it if you don't have a wheelchair? (If you know.) My son has SPD adn I think I might be able to get him to go on the ride if we could just go straight to it.

I would think if you had a GAC you could, Sue?. And this isn't just about fear. I know you wouldn't want my DS in the stretching room with you. If it was just DD we'd probably make her go in and close her eyes.

I do love this report:)

DD used to call Epcot- Apricot too when she was little,

I am glad you all had an awesome time and are sharing with us!!

So the rest of our MK adventures:

After the HofP we headed over to Adventureland. We had reservations for 4:35 at CRT and knew we needed to eat between now and then so we opted for Pecos Bill and split 2 Taco salads for the four of us. We love the fixings bar as we can add plenty of stuff to fill everyone up.

We picked up FPs for Jungle Cruise in 20 minutes and then we then headed to the Tiki Birds. I love this show. We left DS right in his chair so that he was not afraid (as much) of the Tiki Gods and Godess.

It had pretty much stopped raining by now so we went on the Jungle Cruise. I had a bit of trouble getting into and out of the boat as it is a BIG step down and I have horrible depth perception and balance issues but I made it. They asked DS to come up and drive the boat but he was too scared. We tried to get DD to do it instead but she refused to move. Both were to scared to try.

DS and I ride PofC as DP and DD go to get FP for SplashM. They don't care for pirates as much as DS. We get all the way to get on the boat and just as we are about to board they tell me I have to completely empty the stroller. We never had to do that before so I turned around to clean it out and DS loses it. He is jumping up and down screaming at the top of his lungs that we are going to miss the boat. The CM turns to him and speaking very loudly tells him that he can not move the boat with him screaming and that we will have to leave if he can not control himself. Like that is going to help.

I gave the guy the evil eye and walk over to DS and put my arms around him tightly. He starts to calm down. We get in the boat and ride. For all the Pooh sized people these boats are similar to IASWAA - no leg room to speak of. The front row is the worst though. I feel like I am almost kneeling.

We exit the ride at the end of the ride and no stroller. Okay. They think it is probably outside with the rest of the strollers. I take DS up the ramp and start searching for his stroller. He is starting to cry as he always jumps to the worst conclusion. "What if we never find it? What if it is lost forever?" repeatedly for the next 15 minutes as I continue to search.

DP comes back and goes to talk to the CMs. They couldn't fit it in the elevator (I had just two days before -with him in it and me pushing it) so they put it over near the elevator and left it there. Ugh!

We needed a a small snack. So the kids had ice cream and I had popcorn. I love popcorn.

We meet up with DBIL and DSIL. DBIL and I don't go on SplM but sit and talk. I like SplM some but it is very uncomfortable for me. The leg room is tight and then to add a child in with me is really too much. Then there is the fact that every time I ride this ride I look like a drowned rat for hours after. I chafe. I am cold. I am not a happy person. :headache: So, for now I pass.

They ride BTM right after. This is one of DS's new favorites we are told. I think it is the motion and the feeling of wind in his face. He really loves that sensory input.

It is now 2:45 pm and the parade will soon be starting. We grab the train from Frontierland to Toon Town. DS stays right in his stroller and DP rides up front with him while we all load in behind. Again, I have trouble boarding and exiting this ride. I have to turn at just the right angle to get my hips through the space between the back of the seat in front of me and the armrest of the bench we are getting into as I am hoisting myself up the step onto the train. I can do it but it isn't always pretty.

As we exit in ToonTown I miss the step out of the train and almost land face first on the platform. As I said previously - depth perception and grace are not my strong points.

We visit Mickey and Minnie's houses and have Photopass pictures taken. I am so glad we did once we learned that they would be coming down very soon. I always thought these were very cute and the kids love to push the buttons and turn the knobs in Minnie's house. I always wished there were more of that in Mickey's house his house is just not as fun as Minnie's.

Both kids can't wait to ride the Barnstormer. This was their first "Roller Coaster" and both still love it very much. They went 2 times as the wait was 5 minutes or less.

We headed over to the castle only to arrive about 25 minutes before our reservations. DP checked in and they took us immediately. After pictures with Cinderella DS sensed there was something wrong. "Where are the swords?" he asked repeatedly. There was no CM around so we thought they were not handing them out anymore and told him and DD that we would do something later for them instead. Wrong answer. We ALWAYS get a sword before we go in. Yikes!

We walk up the stairs - big mistake. These stairs have a small rise so you don't have to lift your foot as high to walk up them but you still are walking up 2 floors as others are coming down at you. A couple of times I turned sideways to let others pass me.

I love having dinner at CRT. Just being in the castle to have dinner is magical for me. Is it the greatest food ever? No. But is it edible? Yes. And the atmosphere more than makes up for the food in our minds. I love the look of this place but am once again reminded how manufactured it is as I sit in what looks to be a lovely solid chair only to realize it is not and if I lean over too far the legs may come apart.

Our waiter is extremely patient and kind in helping us choose our meals. All of the adults end up with the prime rib and Auntie A has the lamb. They did not have my favorite Corn and Crab chowder so I choose Field green salad with Balsamic Vinagrette. Unfortunately the waiter had forgotten our rolls but we asked for them with our meal.

Suddenly DS spies a child with a magic wand. No! “It’s not fair!” can be heard throughout Fantasyland. Screaming, kicking and arms flailing the waiter promised a sword after dinner. We calmed him down and dinner went on. Both children got their sword and magic wand after dinner. To tell you the truth I am glad they give them after dinner. I saw too many sword fights with magic wands and swords and was always afraid of a waiter or some unsuspecting person getting stabbed with one.

We left the castle and started our long walk out. We watched a bit of the parade from near the Emporium. DS is fascinated by all the windows of the stores with their story themes and has to examine each one and of course ask tons of questions.

We took one long last look at the park from Main Street and head to the monorail. We are exhausted and it is now almost 6:30 pm. It has been one l–o-n-g terrific day.

Our last special event is walking to the car and not being able to find it. We thought we knew where we parked. Nope. Isn’t it in the second row? Where? Then a nice lady in a white van pulls up and sees us pointing and looking perplexed. We told her we parked in the second row that morning and asked where they started parking cars that morning. She looked it up on her sheet and we were one row off the first row was for handicapped parking and since there was no one in it this morning we never noticed it.
Ahhh. The car. And for those of you with children like this – “What if we can’t find the car?” “What if it is gone?” “Did someone steal it?” “How will we get home?” Ahhh, good times.

We ordered pizza late this night. DP walked over over and picked it up. The kids swam and did homework and then we contemplated going early to Epcot tomorrow.

I am really enjoying this report. I am "pooh sized" too so I understand what you go through at Disney. I really like hearing from both of you, it is great!

This is why we do this together. I left out about 5 hours (or 3 or 4 or whatever it was) I totally forgot about the whole Tiki Birds, Jungle Cruise, P of C, Splash, Big Thunder part.

So I'll back track from my previous report. So after the HofP we didn't meet up with Auntie and Uncle, we did all the other stuff as DP mentioned.

I forgot about Pecos Bill. We usually aren't at WDW when El Pirata is open and totally love the taco salads. So we were happy to be able to get them at Pecos. DP and I shared one and the kids shared one. While the "regular" seating was packed we were able to sit in the "annex". DP and DS parked it there while myself and DD went and got the food.

The stroller thing at Pirates. After DD and I went to get the FP for Splash we went and got ice creams. We figured we'd have plenty of time before DP and DS got off the ride. But we didn't finish before they returned without the stroller. So I sat them down and went on the hunt for the stroller. The "it didn't fit on the elevator" killed me. Then how come we met DP and DS as they were coming off the elevator with the stroller 3 days ago? But no matter we finally got the stoller back.

We got DP her popcorn and DS his ice cream and then met up with DB and DSIL and proceeded as per DP's post.

Okay I left off at Toon Town. Here we park DS's stroller. The rain really helped us this day as things weren't as crowded after the rain. I don't like when it rains every day but to have at least one rainy day while we're there is nice as it keeps the crowds down and we haven't melted yet so we just go full speed ahead.

We went into Mickey's and Minnie's houses. This is the first time in long time they weren't realy crowded and the kids were able to sit on Minnie's Couch and we had Photo Pass pictures taken. They got to really play with Minnie's stove and microwave etc.

We went on the Barn Stormer with Auntie A. Auntie A is somewhere between 65 and 70. You'd think she was 12. She is just one of those people that enjoys everything and tries everything. The kids would fight over who got to sit with her on rides.

I recall going on Snow White before going to CRT before dinner but I'm the same one that forgot an entire 5 hours of the day:laughing:.

We got the pictures and went upstairs. Once DS realized he was getting his sword every 5 mins "when are we getting our swords and wands?". Other than that, oh and the melt down as they were leaving the dining room (DD and I were in the bathroom) dinner was fine. DP will have to fill you in on that. The waiter was great with his prince and princesses. DP and DD are definitely princesses even Auntie A. But me, c'mon... The running bit in our family is Mommy is the Queen, DD the princess, DS the prince and Mama the Court Jester. I'm quite happy with that.

We went outside and headed towards the front to go back to POP for the night. DS tried to fanagle more rides out of us but we held strong and reminded him of all we'd done that day. Plus we count the monorail or boat and the tram as rides. He's into this "just one more" thing right now. As I'm soft I give in and then it doesn't end. So I'm toughening up (a little).

We get to the front and watch as the "Shake it, Move It" came out. We head back to the hotel.

I don't have much memory of this evening but I do recall pizza and probably swimming. Wait til Saturday's and Sunday's reports we all have very vivid memories of those days. Only us.....

I would think if you had a GAC you could, Sue?. And this isn't just about fear. I know you wouldn't want my DS in the stretching room with you. If it was just DD we'd probably make her go in and close her eyes.
yes, you could.
Sometimes it's more overwhelming than fear.

yes, you could.
Sometimes it's more overwhelming than fear.

Okay thank you. I will find out about that. Yes, for DS it is WAY more than fear. He gets that whole obsessive nature of your typical sensory issue kid thrown in with fear of the unpredictable and sensory overload all in one package. Overall he copes really well but some things are not to be tolerated.

Okay it is Friday the 11th and one I have been looking forward to. This is the night the kids will go to the Neverland Club. But in the mean time we head to EPCOT.

DB and DSIL sleep in. I really can't remember what time we left. Ever since Wednesday when they went to AK while we took the day off, they've been using the buses and loving it. So we will meet up with each other later in the day. Today is our 2nd day at EPCOT. As we went primarily to Future World on Monday today we planned to be primarily in Word Showcase. Again why it's a good thing DP is doing this with me as I can't remember what we did outside of WS. Once we make it to World Showcase we start in Canada and continue with the masks.

After Canada we go to UK and get fish and Chips and then to their Kidcot Stop.
We only got one serving as our plan is to eat at 3 or 4 different countries so we will share. We call DB and DSIL. They are already in France and have decided to try different drinks of the World.

I remember going to France and getting dessert (of course). We like to sit by the water near the Arcade as there are benches there and generally very few, if any, people. I think from there we take the boat back across the lagoon and then meet DB and DSIL in Mexico. We share two counter service meals yummy and then go inside the Mexico Pavilion. DS loves the boat ride here. I do too. At this point we start heading out to get the kids over to the Neverland Club.

The adults are having dinner at Boma tonight, which will be a first for us. Both kids love the NL club. They went for the first time in April and both did fine. It was a good break for ALL of us. We figure for 2 kids for 4 hours for $92, it's not bad. We figure we don't get park hoppers which would be $200 or we get at Standard room at a value, etc. So for us it is more than worth it. They go through Wendy's window and never look back.

We are off to Boma. We'd never seen AKL before. It was dark so we couldn't see much but it looked nice. DB and DSIL were going to meet us there later. They just took the bus from EPCOT over. We were about an hour prior to our ADR so we went to the lounge. DP got a coke, I got a fancy drink with a glow cube in it. When DB and DSIL arrive DSIL wants a fancy cube. Since I'm such a good sport and a good mom (I couldn't go back to the room with just one glow cube and 2 kids:goodvibes) I got a 2nd.
It just made me feel like a grown up for a couple of hours to have a fancy drink in a lounge without the children.

Dinner was good but the set up was different than I thought it would be. I had always heard it described as being different than a regular buffet and being set up in pods. So I expected 4 or 5 Separate Stations scattered throughout. So I'm not sure how it's different than any other buffet, but it was very good.

After dinner we dropped DB and DSIL back to the hotel and then go pick up the children. They are so happy to see us (insert sarcasm) DS: "Mama, why are you early, I'm not done with my project". This was at 10:00 after they had been there for 4 hours. As usual we get a report that he did great. Always relieved to hear that.

Back to the room for another night's sleep not knowing what tomorrow will bring.

Okay thank you. I will find out about that. Yes, for DS it is WAY more than fear. He gets that whole obsessive nature of your typical sensory issue kid thrown in with fear of the unpredictable and sensory overload all in one package. Overall he copes really well but some things are not to be tolerated.
Show the GAC to the CM greeter at the entrance and explain why you want to skip it. They should be able to accommodate the request. If it's really busy, it is possible that you may need to wait a bit more.

My take on our second Epcot day:

We started the day around 11:15 am. (This is why we are doing this together :rotfl:).

We bypass most of the rides but we do decide to stop at the Figment ride as there are never any lines for that while DP goes to pick up FPs for use later at TT. TT is DP and the kids newest favorite ride. For a sensory input loving kid this has everything he wants - speed and lights.

We ride Figment which unbelievably has a wait! I have NEVER been in a line for this ride. They had the section of line open where when you enter the door you go left instead of right. I never even noticed this before and I have ridden this ride at least 40-50 times. I always thought there was a wall there! :lmao: For those with a WC if you can walk they take the wheelchair away when you get in the ride and it is returned at the other end but it is kept a short distance away so someone needs to go get it for you or you need to be able to walk a bit. We had trouble finding it the first time as it was around a corner.

First stop Canada in WS. We must stop at each Kidcot to get a charm to add to the mask. Since we have started this we MUST stop to add some color in each country. We are not allowed to just get the charm and go on. No we must stop and color at EACH station.

We walk out and head over the UK. We are going to eat our way around the world. Or that was the goal. We start with Fish-n-Chips. Now DS and DD do not like fish sticks. They detest them. They like what they call real fish - salmon, mahi mahi, ie. not mashed put together fish sticks. We drizzle the malted vinegar on the fries and the family goes wild. DD loves salt and vinegar potato chips and can't believe that no one ever thought to tell her of this before. We finally convince them to try the fish and the two pieces of fish are quickly gobbled up. Yummmm.

Now the food here was good but we decided it was not worth the price. There were two rather smallish deep fried battered fish pieces and a good deal of fries but we could have done with at least one more piece of fish for the price. To finish off the meal we each had a piece of the shortbread offered as dessert. We were trying to eat things that the kids would identify with the countries and the other choice was Lay's potato chips.

Now in search of the Kidcot station in UK. This took forever to find. It is tucked way in back of the toy shop. There are 4-5 children in line and DS and DD wait fairly patiently for their dragon charm. When they go to color there are 3-4 14-16 yr. old girls sitting at the table coloring. DD takes a seat and starts to color. DS will not even go near the table. One even moves to let him have a seat and he will have nothing to do with this.

DS has an intense fear of strangers. He is afraid of someone taking him. If he sees someone coming towards him or we start to walk he is glued to our sides. He will not go in a public restroom if anyone else is in there.

So, finally the girls leave and he sits down to color. WARNING!!!! Pooh and Tigger character greetings are in the room adjoining the Kidcot area so this area gets very crowded very quickly and maneuvering the stroller around gets pretty dicey. Also if you have a kid who must see Pooh and Tigger or is terrified of them this space can really throw a monkey wrench into your plans.

We slowly make our way to France. WS is pretty crowded on this day. There seem to be very large groups of cheerleaders all over. One group has taken up a huge amount of space on the bridge between UK and France to stop and take pictures. I think DS and I may be in a few of them as there was just no room to maneuver his stroller safely around all the chaperones taking pictures and the people walking toward us. I tried to smile whenever I did this. :)

We finally make it to France and DP and the kids head to the Patisserie while I sit near in the back near the arcade looking over the water. I love this little quiet spot. Two families come by for their Kim Possible clues but other than that there is no one back there.

DP finally makes it back almost 20 minutes later. I guess there was a misunderstanding about line etiquette at the Patisserie. The line was out the door about 5-10 people. DP got in line with the kids. As the line entered the door the woman in front of her called her group of 20 over to join her. DP explained that she felt they really should have been in line with her as they were such a large group and most of the people in line would not have gotten in line if they had known that there were another 20 people in line in front of them. The woman disagreed and felt she could do whatever she liked. DP said that was fine but she just wanted her to know it appeared rude and said, “We are not going agree. You are now in one line and we are in the other and don’t need to speak.” The lady glared at her. DP told her she didn’t care if she looked at her she was not going away. I am so glad I am not with her.

So we have a chocolate éclair – DS, a strawberry tart – DD, an almond pastery and I have a ham and chesse crossaint. We took bites of everything and declared them ALL delicious.

We call DBIL and DSIL who have now worked their way over to Mexico and are enjoying drinks at the Cantina de San Angel. We take the boat from Morocco to Mexico to join them. Of course we have to have Mexican food as long as we are there. We order the combination platter and the burrito platter. After hearing many negative comments on the Restaurant boards we were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed the food. Maybe our standards are lower or we weren’t expecting much due to the reviews we read but we were very happy with our meals.

I do not like the benches that are attached to the tables here. They do not move and for someone of size that can be really uncomfortable. We squeeze into our table (which in my mind was too small for our food) and the seats.

Another little cloud burst starts and we head into the Mexico Pavillion. We rode the little boat ride. DS likes the boats. Again, me not so much as they are small but I do like the colors and sights as we are thankfully inside out of the rain.

The pavilion is starting to fill with people as we make our way outside. It is only slightly drizzling so we head over to TT for one last ride before we leave the park to take the kids to the Neverland Club.

The rest of the evening I will post later. :)

The first time we took DS and DD to the Neverland Club last April I was terrified. I begged them to let me leave his stroller with him. They did not want it but I explained if he had a melt down they were going to want it as he would feel safe there and DD could probably deal with him until we could get there. In the end there were no problems and both children loved it.

So they went back again. I was much more calm this time and didn't even ask to leave the stroller.

We were off to Boma for dinner. We were almost an hour early for our reservation so we went to the Victoria Falls Bar for a drink. We are in a bar! I can not tell you the last time we sat at a bar for a drink even if I am drinking Diet Coke. Large cushy benches and chairs were great for waiting for our reservation to come up.

We are called for our reservations. Boma is nothing like what I thought it would be. DP and I never discussed our perceptions of what we thought it would be like before but when we finished we were both surprised at the set-up.

First of all the table we were seated next to at the window was almost on top of the table next to us. As a person of extra Pooh size I am always very aware of not infringing on someone else's space so the entire dinner it was hard to relax. Our chairs were back to back and if I moved I would hit the person behind me. DBIL was kind enough to pull the table back toward him so that I didn't have my breasts laying on the table while I ate but that is how I felt. Squished.

Whenever we had to get up to go to the buffet he would slide out first then I would push the table out and slide out. Not pretty but it worked.

The set-up for the foods was different than I expected. I heard of "pods" on the boards and had an image of smaller stations scattered around the room. Nothing like the long jumbled line that we saw on small carts. No one knew quite which way to go and there was no real great flow to the lines. It was chaos a few times as people were reaching over one another.

The food was good. I love bobotie so I was very happy.

The one thing I was not at all impressed by were the desserts. Sorry. There were several kinds of cookies and brownies and a few other "tarts." I do not think Zebra Domes are the best thing ever. It was okay but nothing special. Of course I also do not like Dole Whips so think of me what you will. ;)

We drove slowly back to pick up the kids at the Neverland Club. I do mean slowly as there was an accident just inside the Main Entrance to MK and there were several fire trucks and cars. Then they were stopping each car before we reached the turn off for the Polynesian to inquire where we were going and take a quick glance in our car. I don't think this is normal and we were curious but felt it best not to ask. I don't know. :confused3

We did have a great fireworks show to watch though as we were stuck in traffic. The MVMCP fireworks were going off and it was great to watch them.

We got to the kids they were mad we were there. They had been there 4 hours and still wanted more. I feel good knowing that they like it there and that DS is okay with it.

Back to the hotel. If we only knew what tomorrow was going to bring we probably would have had another drink at the bar. :rotfl:

Saturday December 12

It is our last full day at WDW and we had an ADR for Crystal Palace at MK. However we covered so much ground at MK on Monday and Thursday we decided to head back to Epcot today. The kids are really enjoying Epcot now so we canceled our ADR for CP and got an ADR at Nine Dragons for 7:30.

As it's our last day and I'd like to get some packing done we all head down to the pool. The kids want breakfast so we make it down on time for them to have their breakfast platters. DP and I decided to hold out for lunch. She watches the kids by the pool while I go get us burgers. It's very crowded so it takes me awhile. I get back to the table and there's DP sitting with her foot up on a chair. "I'm fine" Really? Cause you don't look "fine".

Turns out while I was gone she taking pictures around the pool and was backing up to get a better shot and stepped down off the pool deck into the dirt around one of the trees. Her ankle twisted and down she went face first. In the mean time a hotel manager was giving a tour to the hotel of new employees. He stopped and asked if he could do anything, get a paramedic, wheelchair, anything? "No, I'm fine, just embarrassed, please go". DD did come out of the pool to make sure DP was okay. Somehow DP managed to get herself up and over to the table.

Enter me after she is seated at the table. I did get an ice pack from one of the life guards to put on it. I mentioned we were leaving tomorrow to start our 1,200 mile ride back to Rochester and it might be a good idea to get it looked at. "Okay, it would probably be a good idea to get it wrapped, but that's all". So I go into the lobby and ask if there's someone we could get to wrap it and that the manager had mentioned paramedics. The guy at the desk tried calling security but his manager told him he had to call 911 since there was an injured guest. Uh-Oh, DP is not going to be happy, but there's no going back now.

I go back to DP and tell her they called Reedy Creek, but "I just want it wrapped". Then I look over her shoulder and see the stretcher. She just about dies. The guys (2 paramedics) came over. In addition there were 2 hotel managers and 2 other hotel employees. They look at the ankle and explain they can't wrap it unless she agees to go to the clinic (which we found out you can get transport to and from, which is good to know for the future) or to the ED. No thank you. She knows it's not broken and is just a bad sprain. They leave us two bandages to wrap it and a couple of ice pack. They were very very nice guys.

In the mean time DS (as you know how great our kids our with empathy). "When are we going to Epcot?" What, we might not go, why not? (imagine the volume going up and screeching starting). So he proposes a solution "Mommy, you can hop on 1 foot around EPCOT and I'll hold you on the other side."

The manager brings us a wheelchair. He says we can use it to go the parks. We said thank you. Now there's no way we can use this in the parks. It is "normal" size and very rickety, but we don't want to appear ungrateful. I'll let DP tell you her experience getting into, riding in and getting out of this wheel chair. We do eventually get back up to the room.

After she rests for awhile she says she feels well enough to walk out to the car. In the mean time I return the wheel chair.

We head over to EPCOT. We are fortunate to get a spot near the tram. We go in and rent a wheel chair. I didn't think $12 was bad and it was a much better fit than the one at the hotel.

DD is not thrilled she has to push her brother around but we tell her it's your brother or mommy, she chooses her brother.

To be continued....

Okay my take on what happened at the hotel:

I am taking pictures and suddenly I am lying face first on the ground next to a bush. My camera flew out of my hand and I couldn't breathe. I have a weak ankle from too many years of playing volleyball. It went right over on itself.

As DP said they were giving a tour so when I looked up from the ground there was a hotel manager and about 10 other people staring down at me. I am MORTIFIED! I sit up quickly and tell them how fine I am just embarrassed.

DD gets out of the pool because I was behind a bush and as she said, "All I could see was you walking and then you weren't."

I brushed the dirt from my hands and legs and realized I could not sit there much longer blocking the sidewalk. I had DD bring me a chair so I could get up off the ground using it to put as little pressure on my ankle as possible.

I made my way back to the table and when DP came out I asked for an ice pack. I put it on for about 1 1/2 hours while we sat and ate and chatted about what a Klutz I am.

By now kids are getting antsy to go to Epcot. It is our last day and they really want to go. So I ask her to find out about getting it wrapped.

When she returns she tells me about the 911 call. All I wanted was to find out where I could get it wrapped. Nothing more.

As she said they came in with the stretcher and there were hotel managers, security officers, the RC people and lots of lookie loos trying to figure out what is happening. After I apologize over and over and recount my tale of falling down for everyone again they take my blood pressure, give me the wraps and go.

The nice hotel manager offers us a wheelchair and realizing I can not step on it at all - It is swollen and turning purple and blue already I figure there is no way I can make it from the Hippy Dippy Pool to the 70's building where we are staying I take his offer.

When I saw the WC I didn't know what to say. It was a regular size WC and he apologizes as he opens it as it is the only one they have left at the resort and it is rather ratty and crooked. He leaves and DP helps me up. I stand in front of it wondering how I am going to fit my Ursula body into this tiny WC. I kind of scootch myself in sideways and I am not sure I can get out of this chair but for better or worse I am in it.

DP starts pushing me back to the room and we get about 100 yrds. and I start to scream. My butt is on fire! The wheels are crooked and they are rubbing against the metal of the wheelchair that is pushing out because the WC is too small for me and heating it up. :scared1: OUCH! We rest for a second and then she pushes me another 10 feet and we have to stop again because the pain is unbearable.

We finally get DS to take off his t-shirt and kind of stuff it down behind me enough that we can go about 20 feet at a time before we have to stop because it is burning me so badly. We finally get to the elevator and DP pushes me in.

I have to get out of this chair! DS and DD are running up the stairs so they won't see me and I know I don't want anyone to see me try to rip this WC from by body. I grabbed the handrail that goes around the elevator and pull myself up. The WC comes with me!!:scared1: DP stands behind me and yanks on the chair as I try to turn sideways to get the chair off me.

As we reach the 3rd floor it comes free. I use it as a walker that I can put my left knee on to get to our room.

What I learned is don't count on your resort to have a WC if you really need one. Especially if you need a larger size one.

What am I going to do to get to Epcot? :sad2:

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. It's bad enough to do something clutzy, but having an audience when doing it just adds insult to injury (literally, sorry could not resist).

Thank you for sharing your experience with the resort loaner wheelchair. It's sad that someone with an injury who needs one urgently is not able to get an appropriate one. Having them available for guests who need one on short notice is one of the reasons I recommend that people with a 'planned' need for one rent from off site. The other reason is condition.

Ouch! I totally feel your pain - not only in your ankle, but also the humiliation of falling down in front of people. I did that once in college - fell down two steps in front of a tour group on a Saturday morning. (perfectly sober too, which made it hurt all that much more) On top of that I think it was my birthday. Twenty years later it is only mildly funny... I hope the pain and inconvenience didn't keep you from enjoying the rest of the trip with your dear family.

Looking forward to hearing the end of the story...

Okay my take on what happened at the hotel:

I am taking pictures and suddenly I am lying face first on the ground next to a bush. My camera flew out of my hand and I couldn't breathe. I have a weak ankle from too many years of playing volleyball. It went right over on itself.

As DP said they were giving a tour so when I looked up from the ground there was a hotel manager and about 10 other people staring down at me. I am MORTIFIED! I sit up quickly and tell them how fine I am just embarrassed.

DD gets out of the pool because I was behind a bush and as she said, "All I could see was you walking and then you weren't."

I brushed the dirt from my hands and legs and realized I could not sit there much longer blocking the sidewalk. I had DD bring me a chair so I could get up off the ground using it to put as little pressure on my ankle as possible.

I made my way back to the table and when DP came out I asked for an ice pack. I put it on for about 1 1/2 hours while we sat and ate and chatted about what a Klutz I am.

By now kids are getting antsy to go to Epcot. It is our last day and they really want to go. So I ask her to find out about getting it wrapped.

When she returns she tells me about the 911 call. All I wanted was to find out where I could get it wrapped. Nothing more.

As she said they came in with the stretcher and there were hotel managers, security officers, the RC people and lots of lookie loos trying to figure out what is happening. After I apologize over and over and recount my tale of falling down for everyone again they take my blood pressure, give me the wraps and go.

The nice hotel manager offers us a wheelchair and realizing I can not step on it at all - It is swollen and turning purple and blue already I figure there is no way I can make it from the Hippy Dippy Pool to the 70's building where we are staying I take his offer.

When I saw the WC I didn't know what to say. It was a regular size WC and he apologizes as he opens it as it is the only one they have left at the resort and it is rather ratty and crooked. He leaves and DP helps me up. I stand in front of it wondering how I am going to fit my Ursula body into this tiny WC. I kind of scootch myself in sideways and I am not sure I can get out of this chair but for better or worse I am in it.

DP starts pushing me back to the room and we get about 100 yrds. and I start to scream. My butt is on fire! The wheels are crooked and they are rubbing against the metal of the wheelchair that is pushing out because the WC is too small for me and heating it up. :scared1: OUCH! We rest for a second and then she pushes me another 10 feet and we have to stop again because the pain is unbearable.

We finally get DS to take off his t-shirt and kind of stuff it down behind me enough that we can go about 20 feet at a time before we have to stop because it is burning me so badly. We finally get to the elevator and DP pushes me in.

I have to get out of this chair! DS and DD are running up the stairs so they won't see me and I know I don't want anyone to see me try to rip this WC from by body. I grabbed the handrail that goes around the elevator and pull myself up. The WC comes with me!!:scared1: DP stands behind me and yanks on the chair as I try to turn sideways to get the chair off me.

As we reach the 3rd floor it comes free. I use it as a walker that I can put my left knee on to get to our room.

What I learned is don't count on your resort to have a WC if you really need one. Especially if you need a larger size one.

What am I going to do to get to Epcot? :sad2:

I want to preface my comment by saying, I do stuff like that all the time. I can trip over lines painted on parking lots. But I have to say,the way you're telling the story is hysterical! I can't wait to read about the rest of your day. I'm very sorry about your pain, though; I hope it got better quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter