• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Cancelled

Tozzie

DIS Veteran
I am quite upset, I received a phone call today and my trip is cancelled, this is the second year they have done this to me. I don't want to nor is it that easy for me to go on a different date, first I already picked my vacation selections for the year and secondly my trip was the only adults only trip they had. I am going to lose DVC points because I was going to DL after my ABD and used points to book a room at GCH and I am not flying that long on a plane to spend 6 days in CA. I used miles for my plane ticket which is now going to be a nightmare in itself. I am disgusted with ABD.

That stinks!

Check your insurance and the fine print of the booking conditions - sometimes you can get the fees associated with canceling the trip (i.e. airfare/pre or post hotel nights) covered when the tour company cancels the trip on you.

I'm sorry...that is really rotten. I hope you will be able to figure out an alternative...good luck.

Oh, that stinks! I'm so sorry, because it's all the *other* stuff involved in setting up a vacation that gets messed up if ABD cancels. Make sure they know all the costs you incur... their policy states they will cover all reasonable costs associated with changing your trip...

Do you mind my asking what trip it was that got cancelled? The only 2 trips in CA are the Backstage Magic trip and Yosemite. I *almost* signed up for the adults only Yosemite trip... did I dodge a bullet?

Sayhello

Oh, that stinks! I'm so sorry, because it's all the *other* stuff involved in setting up a vacation that gets messed up if ABD cancels. Make sure they know all the costs you incur... their policy states they will cover all reasonable costs associated with changing your trip...

Do you mind my asking what trip it was that got cancelled? The only 2 trips in CA are the Backstage Magic trip and Yosemite. I *almost* signed up for the adults only Yosemite trip... did I dodge a bullet?

Sayhello

Yes you dodged a bullet, they cancelled the adults only Yosemite. I only booked the Signature trip insead of the regular trip because that was the 1 adults only trip they had scheduled. The upgrades don't really mean much.

I haven't tried to make alternate arrangements yet as I am still irked by a comment from one of the cast members I spoke to. I am writting a letter and will make my decision in the next day or two. I feel like I am trapped because I used the DVC points to book the GCH and I will lose them if they are not used before September.

Yes you dodged a bullet, they cancelled the adults only Yosemite. I only booked the Signature trip insead of the regular trip because that was the 1 adults only trip they had scheduled. The upgrades don't really mean much.

I haven't tried to make alternate arrangements yet as I am still irked by a comment from one of the cast members I spoke to. I am writting a letter and will make my decision in the next day or two. I feel like I am trapped because I used the DVC points to book the GCH and I will lose them if they are not used before September.
Oh, man! I came *that* close to doing what you did; signing up for the Signature because it's adults only. I guess not enough people thought it was worth the extra $$$ (although a couple of nights at the Ahwahnee was pretty appealing). I can't imagine why they didn't do a "regular" adults only...

You know, DVC and ABD are both Disney. You'd think ABD could do something for you with DVC so that you don't lose out on the points because of ABD canceling. It would be worth asking them about. I just don't understand how ABD thinks this in any way is good customer service. It really makes me think twice about booking with them again... especially on a newer itinerary. I wonder how my Canada trip is looking. I'm afraid to ask.

Sorry again this happened to you. I'd be pretty damned upset if it happened to me!

Sayhello

I'm so sorry this happened to you. We almost booked an Ireland trip for this summer, but decided to do it on our own for less money. Now I'm really happy that I did, because I wouldn't want to be dealing with the stress of wondering if my trip would be cancelled or not. My husband is military and it's hard to coordinate leave dates, so rescheduling a trip would be a huge hassle.

I've been wanting to take an ABD trip for a while now, but I really feel Disney needs to rethink their strategies since so many trips are being cancelled, leaving people in the lurch. Like you said, when people tie up vacation time, let alone frequent flyer miles, DVC points, etc., they should do so with the expectation that Disney will follow through with their commitment.

I hope you're able to get things straightened out with DVC!

Yes..that is such a bummer:sad1: I think we will just book our plane flights without awards and make sure it's booked by the Disney people once we decide which airline, etc. It would be awful to be in your position trying to recoup points and awards..I really feel for you when you expected such a great vacation....

you have probably helped a lot of people make decisions about how to book their ABD trips with your story...

I have been agonizing about this since we decided to book August 1. So many trips cancelled, and its such a hassle. For us it is really a hassle as we are flying to Portugal one month before, and we have places booked etc on that portion of the trip before we fly to Ireland.

We decided that if our ABD is cancelled then we are going to do Ireland on our own. I presume they would tell us before 30 days out, otherwise it will be impossible to get in touch with us. Sigh.

I don't think I will ever book an ABD again. Its too stressful. I spoke with an agent a while ago and suggested they offer less trips and guarantee them, and then add trips as they fill up! They post so many and then cancel.

I think folks are losing faith in ABD and that is way they are not disclosing the information when people call as its a deterrent to book a non-refundable deposit when there are only a couple of people on your date.

Perhaps they grew too quickly, or this is a bad year with the economy. I have taken 4 previous bus tours and I have never heard of any being cancelled.

I soooo hope ours is going to happen, but in a way,I'm resigned to the fact that it may be cancelled. It will certainly save us money.

We decided that if our ABD is cancelled then we are going to do Ireland on our own. I presume they would tell us before 30 days out, otherwise it will be impossible to get in touch with us. Sigh.

I was told by ABD last December that we would be notified at least 90 days in advance if the trip was cancelled. We were actually notified 5 months in advance, which made it much easier to reschedule.

I am so sad this has happened to you, and I hope you'll be able to do something else with those points! It does make me think I will never book ABD with anything other than cash, though- so sorry you had to learn that lesson for all of us.:grouphug:

I sincerely hope they do something to make this better for you-

Hi, I am going on the adults only Costa Rica trip 4/18/09 - I waws told my trip is a go. When were you booked? I am scared now!

Hi, I am going on the adults only Costa Rica trip 4/18/09 - I waws told my trip is a go. When were you booked? I am scared now!

We were on the same trip, it was cancelled. I was called today and they are issuing me a refund because we can not travel on any other dates. We might book another one when next year is released in August.

HI, I just called ABD. Was told it is indeed cancelled. The only trip available on those dates is the Viva Italia trip at over $3000.00/person. I told them since they cancelled my trip after I paid in full that they should offer me whatever trip is available for the dates I want to go and they should accept the payment I have already made. They are checking with their supervisor but I won't hold my breath!

I am so sad this has happened to you, and I hope you'll be able to do something else with those points! It does make me think I will never book ABD with anything other than cash, though- so sorry you had to learn that lesson for all of us.:grouphug:

I sincerely hope they do something to make this better for you-

I was paying cash for the trip the points were for a post trip week in DL, I am not sure how it is going to play out as of yet but there was a post on the DVC boards about someone who used points to book the ABD trip and the points were returned to her in a regular status. THe problem I have is that most of the points I used expire in September and I can't use them for a different trip as I am bound due to my job by the two weeks I had booked my CA trip for. The more I read this thread the more annoyed I get and I definitely will be looking at other tour operators in the future. This is Diseny not living up to their own standards.

HI, I just called ABD. Was told it is indeed cancelled. The only trip available on those dates is the Viva Italia trip at over $3000.00/person. I told them since they cancelled my trip after I paid in full that they should offer me whatever trip is available for the dates I want to go and they should accept the payment I have already made. They are checking with their supervisor but I won't hold my breath!

I hope it works out. I think that is reasonable. I mean the trip is less than 90 days away and they cancel... I thought they had to do it earlier. I think me and you were the only ones booked cause I was told there was only one other family (but who knows what they tell people)

For us, we decided not to go another date or another trip because I am expecting and I would have had to miss a lot of the fun parts of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter