Travel tips through airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmartin1206

Mouseketeer
Back by popular demand,

I have received a number of emails. Hopefully this will answer many of your questions and maybe raise a few. Feel free to contact me or review the TSA website. I am a TSA employee doing this voluntarily. While some things may differ slightly the end result will be the same...passenger safety.

With the increase of air travel security, I still see many things that the average traveler overlooks. So in an effort to help the flying public identify a few things to prepare for it will hopefully help cut down on frustration and delays.
As you may have already read, many changes have been implemented with more to come as we are constantly evaluating the security of our nations airports and the safety and convenience of passengers.
For the most up to date news and information go to http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp . This website is the official website for TSA and list Travel Tips, News and Events and offer Spotlight information.
Most noted is the implementation of 100% bag search . It varies from airport to airport depending on the circumstances. Some may be done in front of passengers while it is not practical at others due to space and safety concerns. Please be advised, if you lock your suitcase and we find it necessary to physically search the bag, the lock will be cut off. If it has a built in lock as I understand it currently an attempt will be made to contact the passenger to gain entry. If we’re not able to contact the passenger in short order those locks will also be disengaged. We take nothing for granted and refuse to sacrifice the safety of the flying public. In both cases the bags should be re-secured. No one else but TSA employees handles these bags from the time you check it in until the time it leaves our hands to board the plane.
While traveling with carry on luggage be aware of the rules concerning the number and size of carry on luggage. Your airlines is responsible for this information. Review the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp) for prohibited items. Common things overlooked are pointed scissors of any kind. Scissors always forgotten are in kits. Knives of any size and type (i.e. money clips with blades, corkscrews with blades etc.). strike anywhere matches (stick) and too many lighters (no more than 2 per passenger).
Before you go through a walk through metal detector and if you’re not wearing tennis shoes, it’s a good bet your shoes will alarm. Take them off. While this is optional, it will save time and additional screening. I see day in and day out, we all go through our pockets to get every piece of metal out only to have our shoes go off when you walk through. Just because they didn’t go off in the last airport doesn’t mean they won’t at the next.
The next change taking place and may be in place in some airports is random passenger screening will now be done at the security check point instead of just prior to boarding the plane. This will eliminate passengers potentially getting screening twice. The airlines selects who these passengers are using whatever criteria they use and it will be somehow identified on your ticket. Each airline has a different format for doing this.
Again feel free to contact me for additional questions. I look forward to continue serving you and will continue to be vigilant in securing your safety.

Happy Traveling,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter