Trainer dies at SeaWorld...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinks1984

<font color=red>We're having a mini party!<br><fon
Here

Just seen this on my Facebook fan page, so came straight on here to see if it was true.

News article above explains more, but thoughts to the SeaWorld family and to the family & friends of the trainer involved :sad1:

Just copying and pasting my post from the Trip Planning board;

I've posted a reply on the Seaworld board thread. This is the third time Tilikum ( the biggest whale in capitivity and the one who splashes everyone when they chant "Shamu") has been involved in the death of a human including the awful death of Keltie Burn, a trainer at Sealand Pacific. SeaWorld should have seen this coming, it makes me mad and I feel so sad for the trainer.

Just copying and pasting my post from the Trip Planning board;

I've posted a reply on the Seaworld board thread. This is the third time Tilikum ( the biggest whale in capitivity and the one who splashes everyone when they chant "Shamu") has been involved in the death of a human including the awful death of Keltie Burn, a trainer at Sealand Pacific. SeaWorld should have seen this coming, it makes me mad and I feel so sad for the trainer.

Me too,very much so but the trainers know full well the risks involved.
It makes you ask bigger questions like should they even be in captivity?
But thats not a question for now, very sad, I mean can you imagine what it must have been like to have been there?
Poor people.

Me too,very much so but the trainers know full well the risks involved.
It makes you ask bigger questions like should they even be in captivity?
But thats not a question for now, very sad, I mean can you imagine what it must have been like to have been there?
Poor people.

A higher death rate of calfs in captivity, a reduced life span, whales in some parks as well as dolphins having either attacked other animals or commit suicide. Being kept in water unsuitable not to mention much much to small an area. How can anyone not know that they should not be kept like that.

http://www.lcanimal.org/cmpgn/cmpgn_006.htm

just heard on smooth radio about 4 mins ago, not very nice thing to happen.
is this the first time its happened ?

les m

A higher death rate of calfs in captivity, a reduced life span, whales in some parks as well as dolphins having either attacked other animals or themselves. Being kept in water unsuitable not to mention much much to small an area. How can anyone not know that they should not be kept like that.

I know,its sad.You are right.

just heard on smooth radio about 4 mins ago, not very nice thing to happen.
is this the first time its happened ?

les m

No, Les its the third time this particular whale had been involved in a death (although he doesn't know he is doing any wrong), also the second death was attributed to hypothermia and drowning but the man who died had been dragged along the bottom of the tank. There have been numerous dangerous incidents with whales/orcas. I love them but there is no way they should be kept as entertainment, they don't realise humans are not toys and lots of humans don't seem to realise that the whales aren't toys either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca_attacks_on_humans

This is so sad.:sad2:

I went to sea world once and never wanted to go back again as didn't feel right the animals performing.

I know this sounds harsh but why is a whale already linked to two human deaths still around humans?
surely theres somewhere non park like to keep him, and somewhere a heck of a lot bigger, as those pools just dont seem big enough or deep enough for a creature of his great size?

to see someone die because of an animal they loved must be horrendous,

Awfully sad, I can't imagine being witness to such a horrendous thing.

Thinking of the lady and her family RIP

It's scary to think this is occurring more often now it seems. Does make me wonder if the way these animals are 'trained' has been altered in some way? As a PP mentioned, in earlier years at SW, it seemed the trainers had more control over the animals in the tanks. Maybe the tanks are too small these days? Or just expecting too much from them these days?

Whilst at SW in 2008, we witnessed two of the smaller whales, who appear in the dolphin show, not wish to perform and they, between them, got quite violent with each other. To which the trainers sent them outback to cool off. They didn't appear in our show again that time.

Does get you thinking when you hear things like this.

RIP to the trainer :(

Such sad news. :(

I went to sea world once and never wanted to go back again as didn't feel right the animals performing.
Me too. My DH and children enjoyed SeaWorld (and Discovery Cove) but I felt very uncomfortable and fortunately we have not been back. They're such incredible creatures and seeing them perform like that really made me feel sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter