• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Towing & HOV Lanes

YellowXterra

HappyCamper
Question, When towing yur camper is there any issues with using the HOV lanes as long as the family is in the truck ? I have found using the HOV lane along I 75 in Atlanta is a life saver with out towing so I figure it would be even better towing.

I always use it going through ATL. I never saw anything prohibiting big or heavy towing vehicles.

j

I think it for 2 axel vehicles only. No trailers or towing. I wouldn’t chance it that could be an extra unnecessary expense for your vacation.

I remember reading an article a long time ago regarding HOV Lanes being for passenger vehicles only, not vehicles towing.

Can I be in the HOV lane if I’m pulling a trailer?

Yes, as long as the combined gross weight of both the vehicle and trailer is 10,000 pounds or less, and you are able to keep up with the flow of traffic. A ticket may be issued if you are impeding "normal and reasonable movement of traffic" in the lane (RCW 46.61.425).

The 10,000 pound weight limit does not apply to recreational vehicles.

I do see California is an exception to the rule.

HOV tix are $$$$$:scared1:

The Atlanta link says first offense is $75 and no points. That's a lot cheaper than a ticket in Illinois. Our cheapest fine is $135.

From the Georgia link above, it doesn't prohibit towing.

2 GoofyCampers,
Where is your quote from that says "Yes"? I see "RCW 46.61.425" but don't know what state that references.

People citing 10,000 lb limit, do you have a citation? I'm interested because I'll be going through Atlanta in early afternoon on a Friday. If I can't use the HOV lanes, I'll loop around on 285.

j

Even if you can't use the HOV lane I think it is still faster and easyer to go right down 75 and not the Atlanta Motor Speedway aka I 285 :)

Just remembered my Ex Sister in law is an officer in Atlanta GA, Call her and she said as long as you have the people in the truck your gonna be fine. She did say some HOV lanes are now 3+ people and some are still 2+ people so watch for the signs.

Thanks YellowXterra.

I'll be taking I-75. Although, the Atlanta Motor 285 sounds fun. I race sportscars and I'm always looking for a new track. :rotfl:

j

I am going to Jacksonville this week, I will post an update when I get back next Sunday and let ya know how it works.

I am going down through Atlanta in October. It will be a Saturday, probably before noon. Its good to know we can use those HOV lanes. Keeping up speed pulling 10K isn't a problem with the Duramax.

Yup, bragging a bit.

Like Team, I am an ex racer, and I can tell you I will be elbows up going straight through on I75

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter