Totally surprised...Disney closing kids' clubs

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by vinotinto, Jan 9, 2018.

1. eastendlights

eastendlights DIS Veteran

as
    Ours also loved it when they were that age. Having a choice between 2+ hours sitting at California Grill/ Yachtsman's/Artist Point, etc. or having a blast at Lilo's or Sandcastle-they preferred the kids clubs hands down. Our 21 year old just got back from doing the Disney college program a few days ago and I told her about this and she was disappointed also.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Etch

Etch Earning My Ears

This is really disappointing. The boys (5,9) went to Simba's Clubhouse when we ate a Jiko last February. They had a fantastic time and was one of the highlights of the trip for them.

I was planning to hopefully take my wife to Victoria and Albert's for her 40th birthday the next time we are there and have the kids go to one of the clubhouses like last time.

I would have to assume that Disney would replace this with some type of offering? I thought is was great.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

When our grandson was young (he's 15 now) we would plan on one night during a typical 5-7 night stay for an adult meal. Over the course of several years we used just about all of them. He loved them and one of his questions when a new trip was announced would be what club he was going to visit that time.

msb578 likes this.
  5. _auroraborealis_

_auroraborealis_ I like marshmallows. And adult beverages.

Closed during the redevelopment for Copper Creek, and was announced a while back no intent to reopen.

AnnaKat and LilyWDW like this.
  6. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

You don't have to pay extra to send your kids to the club on the ship. I bet that has a huge psychological effect. If these WDW centers were "free", they'd be packed to the gills every night. Similar thing happens at Aulani...their kids club is "free" and it's always at capacity.

Also, on the ship, you are never more than 5 minutes away from the club if there is a problem. Not so at WDW unless you eat at a restaurant onsite.

7. Scooter2376

Scooter2376 Mouseketeer

We’re another set of a parents who should be the target demographic for using the kids’ clubs but don’t. I don’t have any problem leaving my kid with others and have no judgment at all for parents who do use the kids’ clubs, but we’re happier having a glass of wine on the balcony after the kid goes to sleep than going out to an adults only fancy dinner after a long day in the parks. I applaud those of you with more energy than us though! :rotfl:

8. Dis703

Dis703 DIS Veteran

We love the idea of these clubs, but the hours weren't what we were looking for. If anything we'd use them for a few hours in the middle of the day not the evening when we usually have dining reservations and plans to catch the firework shows.

9. amy-bee-0

amy-bee-0 Earning My Ears

We've used the one at AKL twice and will again at the end of the month. It was my 8 year old's only request when we asked what he wanted to do at disney (besides swimming). He's an only child and liked the chance to play with another kid(s) or have the staff's undivided attention unlike his exhausted from the park parents. Sad to see these close.

10. Surgie2

Surgie2 DIS Veteran

You were correct @GADisneyDad14 ...I heard back from DSS promptly and they said that Lilo's Playhouse is only open for childcare beginning at 4:30. Previously beginning last July they opened it from 10:30-4:00 for kids and parents to go together for crafts etc. but that was really short-lived.

GADisneyDad14 likes this.
  11. garada3

garada3 DIS Veteran

Thanks for checking in to that and posting what you learned. I appreciate it!

Surgie2 likes this.
  12. Alicenwonderment

Alicenwonderment DIS Veteran

13. tcufrog

tcufrog DIS Veteran

The last time we went we left the kids at the AKL while we went to Jikos. The kids had a blast and we got an adult night out. I wonder how it's going to affect bookings at places like Edison's that don't welcome kids. Our local mixed use development has drop in childcare near the movie theater. We've used it for date night when our sitter wasn't free and the kids really like it. I've been very pleased with the quality of the staff there, the activities they do such as crafts and science experiments and the head girls always remembers my kids. She's even able to get along with my socially awkward kid who has Aspergers. It's open all day into the evening and you can pay for the kids to eat lunch or dinner there. They get it catered by local restaurants in the shopping center. It's a chain called KidsPark. Perhaps they should put one in at DS.

14. _auroraborealis_

_auroraborealis_ I like marshmallows. And adult beverages.

I thought the Edison only went adult after 10PM, so I doubt it has any impact. There are also enough adult groups at Disney and locally it should not be an issue. V&A do just fine, as does Trader Sam's after 8 and Jellyrolls. If demand were linked, the kid clubs would have been much more crowded.

LilyWDW likes this.
  15. cruiser21

cruiser21 Registered

Kids clubs on the ships are included in the price, and at the resorts it's not. Maybe people just don't want to spend the extra money. The last time I put the kids in the kids club at BC was about 5 years ago. The price of going to WDW has gone up significantly since then.

16. smiths02

smiths02 DIS Veteran

Ha!
    We took a 3 night trip in-between two family trips rather than have date nights on the other two trips!

But we have the right age kids, and we have put our kids in daycare, so it's not like we are opposed. We are just too busy and tired at WDW to worry about a date night.

Scooter2376 likes this.
  17. smiths02

smiths02 DIS Veteran

I think they will just keep their contract/relationship with the in-room babysitting service.

18. tee11

tee11 Mouseketeer

Super bummed to hear this. Was so much looking forward to this when my youngest makes the cut off - next year. And read so many good reviews!
    I wish they would just heavily advertise it/ revamp it, but NOT close it. Is there a petition or something?

19. polyqueen

polyqueen Mouseketeer

We had to pry our son away from the Neverland Club, its activities and "delicious" food!
    He's kept every one of his membership cards!

TheFloatingBear likes this.
  20. SwanVT2

SwanVT2 DIS Veteran

This is a shame. I actually hung out with DD at BWV kid's activity area and it was so fun with the crafts and stuff. Is all of this gone with it?

21. Sandiz08

Sandiz08 Mouseketeer

This is disappointing as my son really enjoyed the clubs on our last trip. We have used them for date night and also to have a night alone with the oldest child riding the bigger rides. We’ll have to try out camp dolphin as I’m not sure kids night out is the same thing. My kids are very social and loved the aspect of meeting new kids who were also on vacation.